PDA

View Full Version : Stephen A Smith theory (serious)

Raptorfan
06-13-2005, 01:22 AM
Just a theory but it's been formulating in my head for about 3 years now. SAS has a prob with the Spurs because it isn't dominated by black Americans. Even TD isn't just what he likes although he is acceptable. Imagine what he'd be saying about Ginobli if he were black, was born in a major US city and talked like SAS. SAS'd be all over his jock. I've noticed that in others too but too bad for them if they can't get used to it. That is the very reason I love SAS. The more foreign players the better the international game becomes and the more popular bball becomes worldwide. I hope the Spurs sweep the Pistons and a bunch more international players are taken in the first round (and US players get to take their place overseas so they don't lose their jobs).

SouthernFried
06-13-2005, 01:29 AM
I dunno...our main 6 man rotation...Bowen, Parker, Nazr, Duncan, Horry...all black. Manu only non-black dood...and he's hispanic. We have a few whites on the bench...no big deal.

Dunno about SAS...whether he's racist or not. I have trouble just getting by his idiocy to notice any racism.

I think you might be thinking about race too much yourself.

picnroll
06-13-2005, 01:34 AM
SAS has been ragging on San Antonio for years dating back to the pre-Duncan David Robinson days.

Mr. Body
06-13-2005, 01:37 AM
Yeah, he's been sour every since the DRob days. But strange, I heard a huge amount of respect given to this team after the game, including from him. Maybe the tide is shifting. You have to respect this team.

Raptorfan
06-13-2005, 01:42 AM
...but Parker is French and Ginobli is from Argentina and Duncan is from the US Virgin Islands (I know you know that better than me). If you read the post again the main gist of it is about internationalism, at least that was my intent. Either way the main 7-8 guys are a different demographic in a couple ways from Detroit. Even TD said he'd have played for the US VI had they had a team. That woud have made many think of him as more international than they do now. Either way the bball situation is getting better because of it but I think there are still a couple obnoxious holdouts in the media who aren't embracing change. You're probably right that race is totally irrelevant, though.

TMTTRIO
06-13-2005, 01:49 AM
When I heard he was going to be on the pre-game show on woai I almost turned it off but I continued to listen to hear what kind of sh*t he had to say. He said that the Spurs were probably still going to win the series but he was still going to go with Detroit to win it all(of course) :rolleyes. He really has something against Rasho and Glenn. He also almost praised Manu and said that he talked to a lot of the refs and they respect Manu a lot because of his aggressiveness and heart that he plays with all the time.

duncan_21
06-13-2005, 02:08 AM
I think sas is a racist for other things he's written about. However in this case about the spurs, I think he lets trying to look like a tough guy,his number 1 priority, cloud his public views and objectivity in hopes he can earn a paycheck from the ET of sports essspin.

He's just a no talent hack who thinks he can "hollywood" his way into sports tv w/out being objective.

Sense
06-13-2005, 02:09 AM
Just a theory but it's been formulating in my head for about 3 years now. SAS has a prob with the Spurs because it isn't dominated by black Americans. Even TD isn't just what he likes although he is acceptable. Imagine what he'd be saying about Ginobli if he were black, was born in a major US city and talked like SAS. SAS'd be all over his jock. I've noticed that in others too but too bad for them if they can't get used to it. That is the very reason I love SAS. The more foreign players the better the international game becomes and the more popular bball becomes worldwide. I hope the Spurs sweep the Pistons and a bunch more international players are taken in the first round (and US players get to take their place overseas so they don't lose their jobs).

I think that would make sense..

SAS likes dynamic players like iverson,kobe,shaq,garnett...

Basically he likes idiots.

So yeah, I will agree with you.

GhostofAlfrederickHughes
06-13-2005, 07:12 AM
I think Smith's problem---besides the fact that he's an IDIOT---is that he gets too taken with the hype and hoopla. He's just the most obvious symptom of the NBA marketing ploy---pump up the slam dunks and trash talking without really paying much attention to the subtleties of the game. Real basketball fans appreciate teams like S.A. and the Pistons. Smith will grudgingly acknowledge the Spurs as a good team, but he'll never really like them because they don't fit into the hype machine....

As for his hatred of Big Dog, that's from his mediocre play in Philly. It is funny, though, how he never mentions that Jim O'Brien was singing Robinson's praises early in training camp last year, only to suddenly bench him and start complaining about him publicly. I think Robinson got screwed over by a Philly team that can't see beyond its one-star system (see above), he's been nothing but class in S.A. I'll be far happier if he wins a ring with us than I would have been with Malone!

Phenomanul
06-13-2005, 07:26 AM
Yeah, he's been sour every since the DRob days. But strange, I heard a huge amount of respect given to this team after the game, including from him. Maybe the tide is shifting. You have to respect this team.

All respect from him and Greg Anthony is a facade... They've been proven wrong every round predicting a Spurs loss... since the Denver series. They've already looked really bad in picking against the Spurs, so now it seems like they finally get it.

sanman53
06-13-2005, 07:40 AM
Possibly true...
It is SO OBVIOUS he hates the Spurs. When EPSN goes to the ESPN crew after the Finals games, SAS just sits there and he actually looks sad! He looks like he just got beat up.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-13-2005, 08:03 AM
It's not a race thing, he just likes the bling and hype. He's there to parrot the "cool kids" for ESPN.

AlamoSpursFan
06-13-2005, 08:06 AM
My Steven A Smith theory is as follows:

He sucks.

RobinsontoDuncan
06-13-2005, 08:12 AM
I think there really is something to that theory, can you imagine if Parker and Manu were both from inner-city Philly, were black, and talked smack constantly, how much praise they would get from SAS?

(I was trying to descirbe what i think is Kobe's background)

spurs_fan_in_exile
06-13-2005, 08:14 AM
My theory about SAS: He hates San Antonio because we never say anything nice about him on this fan forum. I can see it in his eyes every time he picks against the Spurs or has something nasty to say about Rasho. Steve, I know you're reading this, and I just want you to know it's nothing personal against you, it's just that you dont' know what you're talking about 95% of the time and by the time you get to the 5% of important/correct stuff I've already muted my TV set because you make my ears bleed.

Icedstone
06-13-2005, 08:47 AM
SAS and Greg Anthony will both pick the pistons to win game 3. And they will be WRONG! Spurs are about to go Latrell on them in game 3, the SPURS also know what it takes to be a champion and will put a strangle hold on them. Games 3 and 4 might be different, but then it will only be a matter of time to be crowned! Do they (pistons) know wrestling is FAKE?

nkdlunch
06-13-2005, 09:23 AM
I think it's not so much race,as in skin color, but more where they're from. SAS hates Rasho, has never said anything good about Parker/Manu. It's obvious he hates the Spurs 'cause he can't relate to any of their players. But shame on him for not giving them props when they deserve it. He's the true definition of a "hater"

jalbre6
06-13-2005, 09:44 AM
I think there really is something to that theory, can you imagine if Parker and Manu were both from inner-city Philly, were black, and talked smack constantly, how much praise they would get from SAS?

(I was trying to descirbe what i think is Kobe's background)

Kobe was a rich kid from the Philly suburbs.

2centsworth
06-13-2005, 09:49 AM
Race plays a huge role IMO. Hopefully people are starting to see through him and ESPN will replace him with someone like Mark Jackson or another former player who hasn't been spurned by the spurs.

SWC Bonfire
06-13-2005, 10:01 AM
I once thought that SAS was just bagging on Rasho because he was taking a black man's minutes. But to give SAS credit for having a premeditated thought was a little too much, this guy is digging himself a hole on national TV.

bigzak25
06-13-2005, 10:06 AM
SAS likes to blow ballas......what else is new?

Icedstone
06-13-2005, 10:07 AM
SAS likes to blow ballas......what else is new?

:lol :lol :lol Maybe Rasho turned SAS down :lol :lol :lol

mookie2001
06-13-2005, 10:18 AM
yeah i couldnt care less what Steven A says, people, if halfway knowledgable about basketball, should know he's full of shit, and if they dont then they i dont give a shit what shitforbrains think, he has said the spurs kicked Det's ass, but that will change if Det wins a game, naturally

CosmicCowboy
06-13-2005, 10:19 AM
Steve, I know you're reading this, and I just want you to know it's nothing personal against you, it's just that you dont' know what you're talking about 95% of the time and by the time you get to the 5% of important/correct stuff I've already muted my TV set because you make my ears bleed.

:lmao

angel_luv
06-13-2005, 10:43 AM
My Steven A Smith theory is as follows:

He sucks.

Agreed!!!!!!!!!!!

Extra Stout
06-13-2005, 11:32 AM
I'm not sure it's that the Spurs are short on "black Americans." I think it has something to do with the way they carry themselves. None of the Spurs act like they're from the street, even though some of them are. It has nothing to do with basketball, but given the demographics of the casual fan base, it makes it difficult for the poseur hip-hop fan to relate to them. They don't "look" tough, even though they play physical ball with the best of them. Actual "hip-hop" hoop fans respect the game, so they respect the Spurs. But the posers are just casual fans, and they are looking for a rap video impersonating a basketball game.

Stephen A. is there to relate to that kind of fan. Bryan Cox with his ignorant blather was speaking to that. The Spurs "look" soft because their appearance doesn't translate to the street. Tony's French. Manu's an international white guy taking away a black American's job. Bruce is a soft-spoken, clean-cut, college-attending guy. Tim is a laid-back Caribbean dude. Nazr doesn't call attention to himself. Barry's white. Beno and Rasho are pasty Euros taking away black Americans' jobs. Devin Brown's a wholesome hometown kid. Massenburg is buried on the bench. Horry and GRob have bought into the 'system.'

Stephen A. Smith is a poser, 100%. The Spurs are an affront to him. That's why he sits there at the desk looking like his house just burned down every time they win.

samikeyp
06-13-2005, 11:52 AM
I'm not sure it's that the Spurs are short on "black Americans." I think it has something to do with the way they carry themselves.

I still think SAS thinks the Spurs are too white and too foriegn but Stout makes a good point here.

Spurminator
06-13-2005, 11:54 AM
Stephen A. Smith came into television with the goal of being Shaq's media representative, and Shaq's biggest rival at that time was the Spurs. In order to get in good with Shaq, his strategy was to hype Shaq and degrade Shaq's competition.

That's how it began, and the hate mail from San Antonio is probably why it's continued.

2centsworth
06-13-2005, 11:57 AM
Stephen A. Smith is a poser, 100%. The Spurs are an affront to him. That's why he sits there at the desk looking like his house just burned down every time they win.
isn't that the truth.:lol

wildbill2u
06-13-2005, 12:11 PM

I think this is the crux of the matter. Smith likes ballas from the ghettos who play street ball and talk smack. He thinks the NBA belongs to those players and that style defines the American game. :pctoss

He doesn't like the Spurs or their system because, although they have a lot of black players, they don't conform to the street ball image or system.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-13-2005, 12:27 PM
Seriously, it's all about him loving on guys like AI and Shaq, and them getting punked by the Spurs.

His hate started when the Spurs were beating his boy Shaq and the Lakers. We had Mario Elie, Avery, DRob, and Elliott out there, they were all black and he hated us then.

I hate it when people play the race card, and it is misguided in this case as well.

You've just gotta be 'street' to get any kind of positive props from Captain Asshat.

TNT21
06-13-2005, 12:47 PM
Did you guys hear the "Stephen A. Sucks" chant last night on ESPN, it was classic! I wonder if he could hear them, and if so what his thoughts were on all the fans chanting YOU SUCK!