PDA

View Full Version : Internet Router Question

Brad2217
08-04-2011, 12:29 PM
I have Verizon Fios internet and they provide a free modem and router for their service. The only problem is that it sucks... lol

It is fine for wired connections, but for wireless it is lacking to say the least. If I want to make the signal better and faster, would I get another router and hook it up or could I buy a wireless extender?

I was looking at this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833168045

Creepn
08-04-2011, 01:34 PM
What do you mean "lacking". The router has a very weak signal even if you are in the next room?

Brad2217
08-04-2011, 02:06 PM
correct. And sometimes it would disconnect. I would never be more than 20ft away

stretch
08-04-2011, 02:11 PM
brad2217 is a faggot

PM5K
08-04-2011, 02:24 PM
Google the model number, maybe you'll find a firmware update, or some other solution.

Brad2217
08-04-2011, 04:05 PM
Its a shi**y verizon one made by motorola. I have tried to update the firmware and changed the channel settings etc, same problem.

Brad2217
08-04-2011, 04:05 PM
brad2217 is a faggot

no

Viva Las Espuelas
08-04-2011, 04:27 PM
Maybe it's your wifi adapter.

stretch
08-04-2011, 04:32 PM
Its a shi**y verizon one made by motorola. I have tried to update the firmware and changed the channel settings etc, same problem.

you just dont know what the fuck you are doing

dumbass :rolleyes

DUNCANownsKOBE
08-04-2011, 05:32 PM
lol Brad
lol cool name

stretch
08-04-2011, 05:54 PM
lol Brad
lol faggy name

TDMVPDPOY
08-05-2011, 12:29 AM
PC WIFI adapters are fkn shit compared to whats installed in laptops.... :(

Viva Las Espuelas
08-05-2011, 09:11 AM
PC WIFI adapters are fkn shit compared to whats installed in laptops.... :(

Really? Why's that?

Dex
08-05-2011, 12:15 PM
If the issue is affecting multiple machines/devices, and you have tried firmware updates, different channels, and resetting, then yes, it's probably the router.

If that router was given to you by Verizon, then you may be able to contact them and bitch about the performance to the point where they will give you a new/different one. Perhaps performance on that one will be better.

If all of their routers just happen to suck, then yes, your next best bet would be to buy a wireless router to use as your wireless access point. I've never had a whole lot of luck with extenders, especially if your initial signal is weak. If you do add a 2nd router into your network though, keep in mind that either your Verizon FIOS device, OR the router you purchase, will need to have routing /DHCP services disabled. If you have two devices trying to handle the routing, you will get Double-NAT errors and won't be able to connect reliably.

ORION
08-07-2011, 10:19 PM
correct. And sometimes it would disconnect. I would never be more than 20ft away

where is your router? there are many other devices that can screw with your router such as cordless phones, fridge, microwave, steel frames ever lead paint

phyzik
08-07-2011, 10:23 PM
where is your router? there are many other devices that can screw with your router such as cordless phones, fridge, microwave, steel frames ever lead paint

This... Just being centralized in your home isnt good enough... but I think you need to clarify... is it your computers that are dropping their connection, or the router itself dropping its connection, or is it the modem itself thats dropping the connection. You need to check that first.

If its the computers, and not the router, it may be your router placement or it may be your wireless adapter in your PC.

If its the router losing internet connection, you might still have access to your LAN. This may be the modem itself losing connection or you may have a shitty router.

If your losing internet connectivity, make sure the modem is still connected (should have a ready light). If not, call your internet provider and request a firmware push to the modem. If that doesnt fix it, take it in for a replacement.

ORION
08-07-2011, 10:28 PM
This... Just being centralized in your home isnt good enough... but I think you need to clarify... is it your computers that are dropping your connection, or the router itself dropping its connection while being directly connected to the modem?

yeah I just rolled out on a trouble call for poor internet speed and I get out there and the dude had his router 2 rooms away under a desk.

Brad2217
08-08-2011, 10:57 AM
If the issue is affecting multiple machines/devices, and you have tried firmware updates, different channels, and resetting, then yes, it's probably the router.

If that router was given to you by Verizon, then you may be able to contact them and bitch about the performance to the point where they will give you a new/different one. Perhaps performance on that one will be better.

If all of their routers just happen to suck, then yes, your next best bet would be to buy a wireless router to use as your wireless access point. I've never had a whole lot of luck with extenders, especially if your initial signal is weak. If you do add a 2nd router into your network though, keep in mind that either your Verizon FIOS device, OR the router you purchase, will need to have routing /DHCP services disabled. If you have two devices trying to handle the routing, you will get Double-NAT errors and won't be able to connect reliably.

I never thought about it being my laptop. Ill have to try it on the PS3 and see what the connection is like. I get 20down 5 up when im plugged in but only like 6down .1up when I am wireless (on the laptop) and the connection issues right now.

Thanks for the help!

Dex
08-08-2011, 11:53 AM
This... Just being centralized in your home isnt good enough... but I think you need to clarify... is it your computers that are dropping their connection, or the router itself dropping its connection, or is it the modem itself thats dropping the connection. You need to check that first.

If its the computers, and not the router, it may be your router placement or it may be your wireless adapter in your PC.

If its the router losing internet connection, you might still have access to your LAN. This may be the modem itself losing connection or you may have a shitty router.

If your losing internet connectivity, make sure the modem is still connected (should have a ready light). If not, call your internet provider and request a firmware push to the modem. If that doesnt fix it, take it in for a replacement.

Wireless interference can be a real bitch.

One of the better stories I've heard of was about an Apple customer that would call in because every day, their wireless signal from their Airport router just went to shit. During the day, no devices could connect. At night, it seemed to work fine. Tried resetting, changing channels, no luck. If they brought it in and tested it at the Apple store, worked fine during the day. As soon as they got it home, back to crap. Replaced the Airport, same thing.

Turns out that they lived across the street from a big hangar at an Air Force base, and every day from like 7a-7p they would open up the hangar doors facing directly towards the house. Apparently there was enough interference being generated and funneled right at them that it just totally put them in a dead zone....well, during the day, at least.

What I want to know is how many questions did that support guy have to ask before they finally narrowed it down to that?

Brad2217
08-08-2011, 03:03 PM
lol Brad
lol faggy name

You are a fuc*ing fagg*t. Burn in h*ll you stupid son of a bi*ch!