PDA

View Full Version : Baby name question

Drachen
08-05-2011, 03:24 PM
My wife and I are about a month or so out from having our second child. This time around, she did not want to find out what the kid's gender is so we have to double the work on baby names (inefficient in my opinion, but I got to make the call on our first so it's only fair). My father and I have the same name, but in different languages (Sean, Ian). I kind of wanted to carry on that tradition so we looked at all the variations of John and then spotted the name "Jovan" this is a boy's name which is a slavic/greek version of John. It is not an uber popular name, so that is another plus. It also happens to be my wife's middle name. I find this idea interesting, but I also think "a boy being named after his mom??" (when in fact the boy would be named after his dad and mom). I don't know that we would consider the name Jovan if it wasn't for this fact. Anyway, I am really on the fence with this so I wanted to find out y'alls thoughts, if any about the situation, or even the name in general.

Drachen
08-05-2011, 03:35 PM
edit:
-Yes I know that the "named after his mom" statement sounds sexist - whatever
-yes I know that I am going to get weird responses from people (I would be surprised if thispego and latarian milton/rogue/whatever doesn't make an appearance)

clambake
08-05-2011, 03:37 PM
whats your last name?

4>0rings
08-05-2011, 03:39 PM
Pecker

Drachen
08-05-2011, 03:40 PM
Sigh . . . . I didn't think about that. This is absolutely a valid question, I cannot fault you for asking it. It is, however, one which I am unlikely to answer since I don't want people trying to post on my facebook, or even worse linkedin. I guess disregard the OP...

clambake
08-05-2011, 03:42 PM
just tell us your last name.......and change the first letter.

clambake
08-05-2011, 03:43 PM
how about Dirk or Dirika?

I. Hustle
08-05-2011, 03:43 PM
Name him Actaeon

Drachen
08-05-2011, 03:46 PM
Name him Actaeon

LOL, neither of us are greek so there isn't a specific affinity for greek names. This was kind of an outlier.

Drachen
08-05-2011, 03:47 PM
how about Dirk or Dirika?

Well, we have a girls name already so I won't need dirika, but maybe I should put dirk in the ol' rolodex (it sounds familiar though).

CubanSucks
08-05-2011, 03:50 PM
If you don't mind your son growing up constantly getting ridiculed all the way up through high school then I don't see anything wrong with Jovan. If you do mind and want to actually think of the kid's sake then stop being a pretentious douchebag and pick a common name

clambake
08-05-2011, 03:50 PM
Marek

I. Hustle
08-05-2011, 03:52 PM
Gianni
Ifan
Ivan
Jaxon
Johan
Juanito
J'Wan

That last one I made up to represent lol

Drachen
08-05-2011, 03:57 PM
Gianni
Ifan
Ivan
Jaxon
Johan
Juanito
J'Wan

That last one I made up to represent lol

Oh yeah, I know, there are a ton of them (most popular name in the world - lol). We considered Johan/Johannes (I am mostly german) and it is still in the running. She loves Giovanni, I don't. I think Jean/Jehan sound very effeminate. Juan is just too plain as is John....

clambake
08-05-2011, 03:59 PM
do it like Palin.

trigger
grenade pin
launch code
nuke

Drachen
08-05-2011, 04:02 PM
do it like Palin.

trigger
grenade pin
launch code
nuke

But she shortens them
Trig
Gren P
Laun-Cod
Nu

pkbpkb81
08-05-2011, 04:10 PM
Me and the wife did the whole don't find out the gender thing on our youngest and we also had a hard time with name we agreed on a girl’s name but could not come up with a boy’s name the poor kid did not have a name for the 1st 3 days of his life lol

Also the grandparents really wanted to know the sex so when we went for a sonogram we gave the lady 2 cards that had boy and girl written on them and had the nurse leave the room circle one and put them the envelops. We mailed out the envelops with one rule the grandparent could not suggest names or show us anything they bought for the baby it worked out great.

DMC
08-05-2011, 05:21 PM
1st: Stay away from gay names like Tristan and anything that makes a natural lisp when pronounced.

2nd: Don't try to be too original. He/she will spend the rest of their lives trying to spell it for others.

3rd: Names are for the baby who is also a person, not a possession. While we like to have cool names for dogs, they couldn't fucking care less, but one day a baby will hopefully grow up and be an adult, and then they have to deal with the stupid, cute and otherwise meaningless name. So give them a name that means something to the family, something with a history. That way they cannot blame it on you for randomly picking it from a book or an internet forum.

DMC
08-05-2011, 05:25 PM
Me and the wife did the whole don't find out the gender thing on our youngest and we also had a hard time with name we agreed on a girl’s name but could not come up with a boy’s name the poor kid did not have a name for the 1st 3 days of his life lol

Also the grandparents really wanted to know the sex so when we went for a sonogram we gave the lady 2 cards that had boy and girl written on them and had the nurse leave the room circle one and put them the envelops. We mailed out the envelops with one rule the grandparent could not suggest names or show us anything they bought for the baby it worked out great.

Wow, I guess the word "no" is obsolete.

Dark Gable
08-05-2011, 05:33 PM
Tyrone

BlackSwordsMan
08-05-2011, 05:38 PM
jonah

mouse
08-05-2011, 05:40 PM
Seven

http://images.wikia.com/seinfeld/images/7/76/George-costanza.jpg

BlackSwordsMan
08-05-2011, 05:41 PM
Can we get back on topic please?

Drachen
08-05-2011, 05:44 PM
1st: Stay away from gay names like Tristan and anything that makes a natural lisp when pronounced.

2nd: Don't try to be too original. He/she will spend the rest of their lives trying to spell it for others.

3rd: Names are for the baby who is also a person, not a possession. While we like to have cool names for dogs, they couldn't fucking care less, but one day a baby will hopefully grow up and be an adult, and then they have to deal with the stupid, cute and otherwise meaningless name. So give them a name that means something to the family, something with a history. That way they cannot blame it on you for randomly picking it from a book or an internet forum.

1. got it, I also stay away from names that are cities (austin), and frat boy names (brett, Chad)

2. My name is Ian, i know about spelling it for people.

3. I got it, and I am trying to balance that. We are trying to pick a name which does mean something to the family (variant of john). Also the middle name might be "Liam" (My dad's and maternal grandfather's middle name was william). certainly not doing random picks because "it sounds cool"

CubanSucks
08-05-2011, 05:56 PM

:tu x10000000

what kind of retard fuckhead doesn't know how to spell Ian? I actually love that name. If I ever have a son that's actually my first choice.

IF

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-lQuA2jIDGTM/TacbWVkn59I/AAAAAAAAA_w/9bQx3zENGe4/s1600/forever%20alone%20face.png

Drachen
08-05-2011, 06:01 PM
:tu x10000000

what kind of retard fuckhead doesn't know how to spell Ian? I actually love that name. If I ever have a son that's actually my first choice.

Ian only recently became popular, I am 31. I only knew 2 Ians my whole life until I was 18. With that being said, most people cant spell my name, or pronounce it when they see it spelled. When I spell it, I often get a strange look and people say "how can I-A-N make the sound EE-N." I remind them that it is very common in the english language (indIAN, canadIAN), and they say "OH WOW!"

IF

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-lQuA2jIDGTM/TacbWVkn59I/AAAAAAAAA_w/9bQx3zENGe4/s1600/forever%20alone%20face.png

mouse
08-05-2011, 06:02 PM
Can we get back on topic please?

You want your child to be an online douche how about BlackSwordsMan?

ashbeeigh
08-05-2011, 06:30 PM
I have known/knew a guy named Jovan since elementary school. Yes, he is the only one I've ever met with that name.

It's all personal preference. Have you all tried babycenter.com for names? It has a great feature that allows you to explore similar names. I put in Jovan and got some good ones, Jonathon, Josiah, Jeremiah, Jalene, etc.

Cyrano
08-05-2011, 09:26 PM
Be sure to avoid Sibyl for a girl or Mouse for a boy. Those names suggest multiple personalities.

Drachen
08-05-2011, 09:32 PM
be sure to avoid sibyl for a girl or mouse for a boy. Those names suggest multiple personalities.

lol

Koolaid_Man
08-05-2011, 09:47 PM

you got fucked with all the time I bet...am I right Tristan...:lmao

Koolaid_Man
08-05-2011, 09:51 PM
My wife and I are about a month or so out from having our second child. This time around, she did not want to find out what the kid's gender is so we have to double the work on baby names (inefficient in my opinion, but I got to make the call on our first so it's only fair). My father and I have the same name, but in different languages (Sean, Ian). I kind of wanted to carry on that tradition so we looked at all the variations of John and then spotted the name "Jovan" this is a boy's name which is a slavic/greek version of John. It is not an uber popular name, so that is another plus. It also happens to be my wife's middle name. I find this idea interesting, but I also think "a boy being named after his mom??" (when in fact the boy would be named after his dad and mom). I don't know that we would consider the name Jovan if it wasn't for this fact. Anyway, I am really on the fence with this so I wanted to find out y'alls thoughts, if any about the situation, or even the name in general.

Do what the Chinese do...throw a coin in the air....let it hit the floor and whatever sound you hear that should be the child's name...I know a ton of Chinaman who's name is ting ting or ching tin ding....because of this coin strategy...:lol

DMC
08-05-2011, 09:54 PM
you got fucked with all the time I bet...am I right Tristan...:lmao

Sure. Find the T in DMC (my actual initials).

DMC
08-05-2011, 09:55 PM
Do what the Chinese do...throw a coin in the air....let it hit the floor and whatever sound you hear that should be the child's name...I know a ton of Chinaman who's name is ting ting or ching tin ding....because of this coin strategy...:lol
What does an IOU sound like when it hits the floor? "welch..,.welch welch welch... faaaaaaaaaaaaaggggg"

Koolaid_Man
08-05-2011, 09:56 PM
What does an IOU sound like when it hits the floor? "welch..,.welch welch welch... faaaaaaaaaaaaaggggg"

ok...lets not turn this into a hate Kool thread...control yourself please...:lol

DMC
08-05-2011, 10:02 PM
1. got it, I also stay away from names that are cities (austin), and frat boy names (brett, Chad)

Smart man. I knew a woman who named her son "Travis Lake".

There's never anything wrong with the common names like Robert, George and William. Great names, and there have been many great people (and some assholes) with those names.

If you cannot spell Ian you're a dumbass. Very common Irish name. I was named after my father and my grandfather (two different first names). I have never wanted another name.

3. I got it, and I am trying to balance that. We are trying to pick a name which does mean something to the family (variant of john). Also the middle name might be "Liam" (My dad's and maternal grandfather's middle name was william). certainly not doing random picks because "it sounds cool"Nothing wrong with just "William". William Ian _______ if it's a guy (the dash don't be silent) and use your wife's heritage if it's a girl.

I think people tend to name the baby, and forget about the adult.

Drachen
08-06-2011, 12:49 AM
P
Smart man. I knew a woman who named her son "Travis Lake".

There's never anything wrong with the common names like Robert, George and William. Great names, and there have been many great people (and some assholes) with those names.
If you cannot spell Ian you're a dumbass. Very common Irish name. I was named after my father and my grandfather (two different first names). I have never wanted another name.
Nothing wrong with just "William". William Ian _______ if it's a guy (the dash don't be silent) and use your wife's heritage if it's a girl.

I think people tend to name the baby, and forget about the adult.

Sorry, pet peeve, i have to correct... Ian is Scottish, Sean is the Irish version.

cantthinkofanything
08-06-2011, 02:03 AM
Please don't name it Ian. That's my pecker's name.