PDA

View Full Version : If You Quit on Your Team, Do You Feel Ashamed?

DMC
08-08-2011, 03:57 PM
I won't bother mentioning the names of those who abandoned their teams because of player acquisitions, rotations, strategies and such, and who did so pretty much mid season. Some of you have returned to join in on the victory celebrations.

Do any of you feel you have lost just a small bit of what joy you could have felt had you not been consummate bandwagon riders? Does it eat at you just a little that you sold your team for a few pieces of forum silver, so you can later say "I was right, they sucked"? Don't you feel like that person who sold all their stock the week before the big buyout, for about 500x less than you could have gotten had you waited? Don't you feel like this guy, who doesn't belong there only no one told you?

http://www.flixya.com/files-photo/t/h/e/theJo1681952.jpg

Since I haven't named anyone, just use that little twinge of guilt that tugs on your heart and your ego once you have read this to know if it's you, but you don't need to respond. Just ask yourself the question "Am I a piece of shit bandwagon riding sellout?" If you can say "no" honestly, it's not you.

Giuseppe
08-08-2011, 04:01 PM
One doesn't pick a team so much as a team picks you.

DMC
08-08-2011, 04:02 PM
One doesn't pick a team so much as a team picks you.

tbh, some people are always picked by winning teams

JoeTait75
08-08-2011, 04:20 PM
As long as you don't start rooting for another team you have nothing to be ashamed of.

Nothing wrong with putting your fanhood on layaway. They're not entitled to your non-stop fanaticism.

Lincoln
08-08-2011, 04:35 PM
Never quit tbh

mavsfan1000
08-08-2011, 05:04 PM
Nah. I don't feel ashamed. It is all a part of being a fan.

frodo
08-08-2011, 06:05 PM
chinks never quit on the rockets even when they were aware that their nation's 7'6 hero was done with a career-ending injury, ignoring all the facts the chinks still believed the rockets team could win the #2 seed when they were in fact not at all a playoff team

DMC
08-08-2011, 06:16 PM
chinks never quit on the rockets even when they were aware that their nation's 7'6 hero was done with a career-ending injury, ignoring all the facts the chinks still believed the rockets team could win the #2 seed when they were in fact not at all a playoff team
I don't think they understand the game of basketball, just the game of idolization.

DPG21920
08-08-2011, 06:16 PM
I think you should be ashamed. IMO, being a fan, in the context we use it around here, is not about being a blind homer. If you are a true fan you watch even in the tough times, even if your interest naturally wanes. You can understand the situation and temper expectations, but quitting on the team/denouncing the team is an entirely different story and something a good fan doesn't do.

John Basedow
08-08-2011, 06:23 PM
As long as you don't start rooting for another team you have nothing to be ashamed of.

Nothing wrong with putting your fanhood on layaway. They're not entitled to your non-stop fanaticism.

Bingo.

John Basedow
08-08-2011, 06:24 PM
I think you should be ashamed. IMO, being a fan, in the context we use it around here, is not about being a blind homer. If you are a true fan you watch even in the tough times, even if your interest naturally wanes. You can understand the situation and temper expectations, but quitting on the team/denouncing the team is an entirely different story and something a good fan doesn't do.

Wrong.

DMC
08-08-2011, 06:26 PM

No, there's nothing wrong with abandoning your team when times get hard and returning with hands held high when they win.

I just hope people don't feel a tad bit cowardly because of it. It's only a game.

DPG21920
08-08-2011, 06:26 PM
I don't think so at all. You can denounce management, a player(s), but not the team. If you do, you should be ashamed IMVHO.

DMC
08-08-2011, 06:30 PM
I don't think so at all. You can denounce management, a player(s), but not the team. If you do, you should be ashamed IMVHO.
Yeah, but you're talking about "ought" and I am talking about "do".

Do people here feel ashamed? Whether or not they should is beside the point. Many will disagree on that.

John Basedow
08-08-2011, 06:30 PM

You can denounce the team as well, and there are times when it's warranted...it is your right, and there's no need to be ashamed. No need to be an eternal lemming

DPG21920
08-08-2011, 06:32 PM
It's not about being a lemming. You can be a bitter fan. You can be infuriated with play. You can hate certain players, the coach or management. Part of being a true fan is that you live through that and you stick by them even when things are low. It might not make logical sense to you, John, but that is how true fandom is measured, right or wrong.

You don't abandon the team. If you do, don't be surprised when you aren't allowed back into the club.

DMC
08-08-2011, 06:34 PM
You can denounce the team as well, and there are times when it's warranted...it is your right, and there's no need to be ashamed. No need to be an eternal lemming
I agree with this, but what of those who do so and do a 180 when the team wins? Aren't those just fair weather fans? Aren't those bandwagon riders? If not, then those two terms are meaningless.

If a woman only stayed with a man when he was doing well, most wouldn't consider that to be a loyal person.

Why can't everyone just support the team that's winning, if loyalty doesn't matter?

DUNCANownsKOBE
08-08-2011, 06:36 PM
As far as I'm concerned, there are situations where the team deserves to be abandoned.

After the 2010 off season and 2011 season, Sarver deserves to be abandoned by the Suns fanbase IMO. He made a conscious decision to turn the Suns into shit, and the fans have a right to abandon an owner who has made it clear he'd trade winning for more profit.

John Basedow
08-08-2011, 06:36 PM
It's not about being a lemming. You can be a bitter fan. You can be infuriated with play. You can hate certain players, the coach or management. Part of being a true fan is that you live through that and you stick by them even when things are low. It might not make logical sense to you, John, but that is how true fandom is measured, right or wrong.

You don't abandon the team. If you do, don't be surprised when you aren't allowed back into the club.

What a generic take on fandom...but being that you're a KoL fan, I guess generic is what you were shooting for.

DMC
08-08-2011, 06:38 PM
As far as I'm concerned, there are situations where the team deserves to be abandoned.

After the 2010 off season and 2011 season, Sarver deserves to be abandoned by the Suns fanbase IMO. He made a conscious decision to turn the Suns into shit, and the fans have a right to abandon an owner who has made it clear he'd trade winning for more profit.
But what about if that fan/fanbase returns with "we are the champions" after the Suns pull it out (humor me)?

dirk4mvp
08-08-2011, 06:38 PM
Dirk rose from the ashes, with me right beside him.

DMC
08-08-2011, 06:39 PM
Dirk rose from the ashes, with me right beside him.:toast

John Basedow
08-08-2011, 06:42 PM
I agree with this, but what of those who do so and do a 180 when the team wins? Aren't those just fair weather fans? Aren't those bandwagon riders? If not, then those two terms are meaningless.

If a woman only stayed with a man when he was doing well, most wouldn't consider that to be a loyal person.

Why can't everyone just support the team that's winning, if loyalty doesn't matter?

I understand what you're saying, but I wouldn't necessarily equate denouncing with disloyalty.

I can say, for instance..."The Lakers played like a bunch of gutless faggots in Game 4 against Dallas." I'd be denouncing them (i.e. speaking ill of them publicly, for those who didn't know the definition), but it doesn't mean I'm not still a Laker fan. It's a frustrating, truthful observation that won't affect my allegiance to the team as a fan.

DUNCANownsKOBE
08-08-2011, 06:43 PM
But what about if that fan/fanbase returns with "we are the champions" after the Suns pull it out (humor me)?
I wish I could but that's an irrelevant hypothetical. The Suns became exactly what Sarver knew they'd become, a lottery team.

In the case of the Mavs, it was an inept front office trying hard and getting lucky. If I thought Sarver wanted a championship as badly as Cuban did, I'd still support the Suns.

dirk4mvp
08-08-2011, 06:49 PM
Cubby wrong about dem Suns :smokin

Sarver right about dem Suns :smokin

DPG21920
08-08-2011, 06:50 PM
I understand what you're saying, but I wouldn't necessarily equate denouncing with disloyalty.

I can say, for instance..."The Lakers played like a bunch of gutless faggots in Game 4 against Dallas." I'd be denouncing them (i.e. speaking ill of them publicly, for those who didn't know the definition), but it doesn't mean I'm not still a Laker fan. It's a frustrating, truthful observation that won't affect my allegiance to the team as a fan.

DoK, you are done with Sarver, not the team. That is ok. The second you say "I'm done with the Suns", you're out.

My take was not generic, it was the truth. If it's ok to bail on the team when things are bad and celebrate when they are good, then the term "bandwagon" would not exist. There is a reason it does and a reason it has a negative connotation.

You know what I meant when I said denounce, so don't play dumb. Saying a team played like a bunch of gutless maggots is ok if it's true and that isn't what I'm talking about. Saying "f this team, I'm done with them" is a different story altogether and is not ok.

ALVAREZ6
08-08-2011, 06:51 PM
tbh, some people are always picked by winning teams

if you live in or around Boston, certainly true

DPG21920
08-08-2011, 06:53 PM
IMVHO, if you quit on a team, you don't get to celebrate when they win. Period. That doesn't mean you can't dog them when they play like crap, but if you quit, truly quit i.e. "I'm done with this franchise", you don't get to enjoy a single second of when it's good.

DUNCANownsKOBE
If I say, "I'm done with the Suns till Sarver sells them" does that mean I'm out in your book, because that's effectively what I'm doing. I watched the first 30 or so games because I wanted to give the team a chance since I thought they deserved it, but I said to myself I'm done improving their TV ratings by watching or improving their ticket sales by going to any Suns games until Sarver sells the team.

Spursfan092120

this

DMC
08-08-2011, 06:54 PM
That would be like Lebron's daddy wearing a "King James" shirt...

Spursfan092120
08-08-2011, 06:54 PM
If I say, "I'm done with the Suns till Sarver sells them" does that mean I'm out in your book, because that's effectively what I'm doing. I watched the first 30 or so games because I wanted to give the team a chance since I thought they deserved it, but I said to myself I'm done improving their TV ratings by watching or improving their ticket sales by going to any Suns games until Sarver sells the team.

I don't blame you at all, DoK..one of the worst fucking owners ever. Even throughout the rivalry, I wanted to see Phoenix succeed...Nash deserves a ring...he'll never get one.

DMC
08-08-2011, 06:56 PM
There's nothing wrong with that. It's when you return after the ring and pretend you were there the whole time and try to sneak into the fray, that's when it could cause an ethical person to raise an internal eyebrow.

DUNCANownsKOBE
08-08-2011, 06:57 PM
I don't blame you at all, DoK..one of the worst fucking owners ever. Even throughout the rivalry, I wanted to see Phoenix succeed...Nash deserves a ring...he'll never get one.
The most amazing part is how many chances Sarver had to redeem himself. Even after ALL the cost cutting moves from 2004-2009, through luck/good moves by Kerr/other things, Sarver was blessed with a 2010 team that had maybe the best combination of youth, size, and experience any Suns team had during the Nash era. All Sarver had to do to keep that going was resign Kerr and resign Amare, but he managed to fuck that up.

DMC
08-08-2011, 06:57 PM
No one deserves a ring. Nash had free agency like everyone else and chose to stay.

Soccer mom mentality go wild.

DUNCANownsKOBE
08-08-2011, 06:58 PM
There's nothing wrong with that. It's when you return after the ring and pretend you were there the whole time and try to sneak into the fray, that's when it could cause an ethical person to raise an internal eyebrow.
Assuming the Suns even make it through the Sarver era and are still in Phoenix when there is a new owner, I'd support them even if they're in 15-20 territory and have little to no future.

DUNCANownsKOBE
08-08-2011, 06:58 PM
No one deserves a ring. Nash had free agency like everyone else and chose to stay.

:tu

John Basedow
08-08-2011, 06:59 PM
DoK, you are done with Sarver, not the team. That is ok. The second you say "I'm done with the Suns", you're out.

My take was not generic, it was the truth. If it's ok to bail on the team when things are bad and celebrate when they are good, then the term "bandwagon" would not exist. There is a reason it does and a reason it has a negative connotation.

You know what I meant when I said denounce, so don't play dumb. Saying a team played like a bunch of gutless maggots is ok if it's true and that isn't what I'm talking about. Saying "f this team, I'm done with them" is a different story altogether and is not ok.

I agree, for the most part...but I won't fault somebody for saying it in the heat of the moment. For example, a number of Mav fans here pretty much said "f this team, I'm done with them" after the epic collapse in Portland. Do you really think any of them stopped watching or rooting for Dallas b/c of it?

It was a knee-jerk reaction to an occurrence they were all-to-familiar with: Dallas finding inexplicable ways to choke away playoff games.

I denounce (and use whatever definition of this word you choose) the Buffalo Bills by Week 4 EVERY FUCKING YEAR, but I never really stop watching them or root for another team. It's the highs and lows of being a sports fan, but I've definitely become more detached as I've gotten older.

DMC
08-08-2011, 07:01 PM
Assuming the Suns even make it through the Sarver era and are still in Phoenix when there is a new owner, I'd support them even if they're in 15-20 territory and have little to no future.
Yeah, but fan with a higher BB IQ knows what he's looking at, and won't bolt on a whim. I knew early on this year when TC joined that Dallas was going to be a hard kill. Others jumped ship because of it.

I haven't seen anyone post yet who I think jumped ship, except the professional ship jumper who no one gives a shit about anyhow.

DMC
08-08-2011, 07:03 PM
I agree, for the most part...but I won't fault somebody for saying it in the heat of the moment. For example, a number of Mav fans here pretty much said "f this team, I'm done with them" after the epic collapse in Portland. Do you really think any of them stopped watching or rooting for Dallas b/c of it?

It was a knee-jerk reaction to an occurrence they were all-to-familiar with: Dallas finding inexplicable ways to choke away playoff games.

I denounce (and use whatever definition of this word you choose) the Buffalo Bills by Week 4 EVERY FUCKING YEAR, but I never really stop watching them or root for another team. It's the highs and lows of being a sports fan, but I've definitely become more detached as I've gotten older.
That's fine, but public denouncement should not lead to public celebration when your team wins, unless you have made amends for your desertion.

John Basedow
08-08-2011, 07:11 PM
That's fine, but public denouncement should not lead to public celebration when your team wins, unless you have made amends for your desertion.

Like before, that all depends on the situation and the type of denouncement. This isn't a black and white issue. If you publicly said on this forum, "fuck this team, i quit," then yeah...you should take shit for it if you don't come clean about it when they win.

But once again, denouncing them and celebrating them winning doesn't make them lesser fans--that's what a team will put you through. That being said, make the ones who were wrong eat their crow.

At the same time, those who were sunshining, top o' the mornin' to ya happy-go-lucky, team-can-do-no-wrong asshats need to be called on their shit too when the team loses.

It's a two-way street.

DPG21920
08-08-2011, 07:16 PM

This is being a fan, and that is ok. You still watch and root for them, even though they kill you. I'm not talking about the ones who do what you described. Naturally your interest will wane the longer the drought lasts especially if there are a lot of bad moves along the way.

What I'm talking about is the true band-wagoners. The ones that repeatedly quit and mean it. The one's that reject everything and give up and stop caring at all. Then when their team surprises (a la Dallas this year), try and act like everything is all good.

DPG21920
08-08-2011, 07:18 PM
Like before, that all depends on the situation and the type of denouncement. This isn't a black and white issue. If you publicly said on this forum, "fuck this team, i quit," then yeah...you should take shit for it if you don't come clean about it when they win.

But once again, denouncing them and celebrating them winning doesn't make them lesser fans--that's what a team will put you through. That being said, make the ones who were wrong eat their crow.

At the same time, those who were sunshining, top o' the mornin' to ya happy-go-lucky, team-can-do-no-wrong asshats need to be called on their shit too when the team loses.

It's a two-way street.

That's why we have the terms "homer" and "band-wagoner"

John Basedow
08-08-2011, 07:25 PM
What I'm talking about is the true band-wagoners. The ones that repeatedly quit and mean it. The one's that reject everything and give up and stop caring at all. Then when their team surprises (a la Dallas this year), try and act like everything is all good.

I agree completely, and not to sound like a douche but I probably see those people more than anyone...I live in fucking Miami--these people don't give a shit about sports until there in the playoffs. They could maybe name 5 players on the Heat if they thought really hard.

That being said, it's hard to prove who on ST fits those parameters you laid out, especially if they're still posting.

DMC
08-08-2011, 07:28 PM

It's a two-way street.
I agree, but I was more wanting to know about the internal struggle some of these "winners" are facing, knowing they lost some face and don't really belong with the rest of the fans. Do you think it's just a lack of self worth and ethics that allows them to be apathetic to their own internal compass?

John Basedow
08-08-2011, 07:32 PM
I agree, but I was more wanting to know about the internal struggle some of these "winners" are facing, knowing they lost some face and don't really belong with the rest of the fans. Do you think it's just a lack of self worth and ethics that allows them to be apathetic to their own internal compass?

:lolMethinks you're looking into this a little too philosophically. If they have no problem eating their crow when they're wrong, then there's no issue. If they deny ever doubting the team when the evidence says they clearly were--then yes, you could call them ethically bankrupt, imho.

BlackSwordsMan
08-08-2011, 07:33 PM
What if you choose a team to win it all and they don't even make the playoffs?

John Basedow
08-08-2011, 07:34 PM
What if you choose a team to win it all and they don't even make the playoffs?

Then you're a Cowboys fan.

BlackSwordsMan
08-08-2011, 07:40 PM
:lol

DUNCANownsKOBE
08-08-2011, 08:04 PM
Then you're a Cowboys fan.
Or you're a Lakers fan making a prediction about a team located in Phoenix.

LnGrrrR
08-08-2011, 08:09 PM
I won't bother mentioning the names of those who abandoned their teams because of player acquisitions, rotations, strategies and such, and who did so pretty much mid season. Some of you have returned to join in on the victory celebrations.

Do any of you feel you have lost just a small bit of what joy you could have felt had you not been consummate bandwagon riders? Does it eat at you just a little that you sold your team for a few pieces of forum silver, so you can later say "I was right, they sucked"? Don't you feel like that person who sold all their stock the week before the big buyout, for about 500x less than you could have gotten had you waited? Don't you feel like this guy, who doesn't belong there only no one told you?

http://www.flixya.com/files-photo/t/h/e/theJo1681952.jpg

Since I haven't named anyone, just use that little twinge of guilt that tugs on your heart and your ego once you have read this to know if it's you, but you don't need to respond. Just ask yourself the question "Am I a piece of shit bandwagon riding sellout?" If you can say "no" honestly, it's not you.

I don't quit. I may be pessimistic as hell, write off my team that day, and curse them up and down, but I'll be there watching the next game.

Spurfans are pretty bad about quitting, to be honest. I remember reading a thread where they were like, "THE SEASON'S OVER" against the Grizz when they were down by double digits in the 3rd quarter. The 3rd!

DPG21920
08-08-2011, 08:15 PM
Ummmmmm, pretty sure every board you go on has threads like that.

LnGrrrR
08-08-2011, 08:25 PM

That kinda happened with the Boston Bruins this year. Many fans thanked the current Bruins roster but still hated management (who admittedly sucked hardcore until after the lockout).

LnGrrrR
08-08-2011, 08:29 PM
Ummmmmm, pretty sure every board you go on has threads like that.

I don't see it quite as vivid. Boston boards tend to be bipolar about the player himself (ie. PIERCE YOU SUCK DON'T SHOOT THAT *Pierce sinks an off-balance 3* YESSSS THE TRUTH!!!) than the game. In some of the threads upstairs, people were quitting on the game in the 3rd quarter. That's pretty sad.

And I'm not even going to count the numerous implied "If it wasn't for Bonner/RJ we would've won the ship!" comments. :lol

ALVAREZ6
08-08-2011, 10:05 PM
I don't see it quite as vivid. Boston boards tend to be bipolar about the player himself (ie. PIERCE YOU SUCK DON'T SHOOT THAT *Pierce sinks an off-balance 3* YESSSS THE TRUTH!!!) than the game. In some of the threads upstairs, people were quitting on the game in the 3rd quarter. That's pretty sad.

And I'm not even going to count the numerous implied "If it wasn't for Bonner/RJ we would've won the ship!" comments. :lol

Do you honestly think the overall posting tendencies of fans of different teams with massive followings really vary?

Especially consider the fact that here at ST so many threads are started per game, whether it's here or in the Spurs forum, especially during playoff games.

LnGrrrR
08-08-2011, 10:17 PM
Do you honestly think the overall posting tendencies of fans of different teams with massive followings really vary?

To a small extent, sure. Look at Laker fans on these boards. Extremely cocky, and self-assured they will ring each year. Heck, they think Dwight will go to the Lakers just because he wants to see some film stars in town. And I don't think it's relegated only to ST, there's a lot of these fans on other Laker sites. (Though LG has alot of bipolar-ish posts too.)

ALVAREZ6
08-08-2011, 10:36 PM
To a small extent, sure. Look at Laker fans on these boards. Extremely cocky, and self-assured they will ring each year. Heck, they think Dwight will go to the Lakers just because he wants to see some film stars in town. And I don't think it's relegated only to ST, there's a lot of these fans on other Laker sites. (Though LG has alot of bipolar-ish posts too.)

The 10 total Laker fans on this board? Or even if it's 20, 30, whatever it is, even though it's probably somewhere close to 10 that post regularly after factoring in duplicate entries due to troll accounts.

BTW are you really using the Laker fans on this board as support? The overly cockiness and believing Dwight is going to LA can either be trolling or real, there aren't always fine lines and it's often hard to tell. Given that gray area, the fact there's a small amount to begin with, not really evidence.

Just a funny observation you make, that's all. Boston fans tend to single out a player..whether it's Red Sox fans, Bruins fans, Celtics fans on __.com, or Celtics fans on _(a different site)_.com, they typically single out a player, but quitting on the team is relatively uncommon! But Spurs fans tend to give up on games, that's the distinction. Weird because my observations over the years have been like this: there have been hundreds of Spurs threads started that only single out a player (actually many players have commanded hundreds themselves), hundreds of threads that simply give up on the game being played, hundreds that simply give up on the team, and also tons that incorporate some type of mix of those. I haven't noticed in which proportions, but there seems to be a shitload of every kind every year. This leads me to believe you could find a similar tendency on popular boards of other teams, and I don't really think the variation is significant.

DPG21920
08-08-2011, 10:41 PM
You can ^

JoeTait75
08-08-2011, 10:50 PM
No, there's nothing wrong with abandoning your team when times get hard and returning with hands held high when they win.

I just hope people don't feel a tad bit cowardly because of it. It's only a game.

Ultimately sports franchises are businesses, and should more or less be treated as such. I might frequent a restaurant down the street, but they're not just entitled to my patronage because they exist. It's on them to produce fare worthy of my patronage.

Example: I'm a Cleveland Indians fan. That's the only baseball team I'll ever root for. But as of now I won't spend my money to see them play in person, because I don't approve of the people running the club. I don't believe they particularly care about putting a championship-caliber team on the field.

When they're serious about winning, I'll spend my money in their ballpark. I'm not putting on a pink Red Sox hat in the meantime. But I'm not going to spend my dollar to sustain a regime I don't believe in just so I can beat my chest about how loyal I am.

DMC
08-09-2011, 07:48 AM
Ultimately sports franchises are businesses, and should more or less be treated as such. I might frequent a restaurant down the street, but they're not just entitled to my patronage because they exist. It's on them to produce fare worthy of my patronage.

Example: I'm a Cleveland Indians fan. That's the only baseball team I'll ever root for. But as of now I won't spend my money to see them play in person, because I don't approve of the people running the club. I don't believe they particularly care about putting a championship-caliber team on the field.

When they're serious about winning, I'll spend my money in their ballpark. I'm not putting on a pink Red Sox hat in the meantime. But I'm not going to spend my dollar to sustain a regime I don't believe in just so I can beat my chest about how loyal I am.

The point of the OP is whether or not individual fan/team championship value was lost by denouncing the team during regular season. I think for some it was. It's probably just a misfortune for a few who have followed the team for years, to denounce them a few months prior to their first ring, but it happened.

I know I could not take as much satisfaction in a Spurs championship had I publicly denounced the team early on, and not even had I privately done so. I might raise an eyebrow and think "wow, who knew?" but I wouldn't have the urge to share in the celebration with fans who stuck with the team through the hard times, even if I knew I could always pass my unfaithfulness off as just being disgruntled. I could say I secretly followed the team, if that got me through, but then I would be dishonest and the entire point would be moot.

And for the record (if there is one), I don't consider restaurants and team sports on the same level, so yours is a poor analogy. I don't see anyone here wearing restaurant jerseys or using restaurant avatars. We are fans, not just patrons, of sports teams.

LnGrrrR
08-09-2011, 02:04 PM
long post... This leads me to believe you could find a similar tendency on popular boards of other teams, and I don't really think the variation is significant.

Probably. I'm not willing to do any sort of statistical work to back up my claim. :D

mavsfan1000
08-10-2011, 01:01 AM
To be equally a fan of when they are winning and when they are losing is almost impossible. For those to say you aren't a true fan is ridiculous. I guess true fans are held to incredibly high standards that very few live up to in that case. Like some say here. It's just a game.

Venti Quattro
08-10-2011, 01:27 AM
I admit to having quit on my team a couple of times even just last season, only to find myself realizing that I shouldn't quit on them because they have done so much.

Ashamed? Nope, maybe more of I feel helpless sometimes.

cobbler
08-10-2011, 06:26 AM
You will all be quitting on your teams AGAIN when the lockout is over and we are ringing #17.

Isitjustme?
08-10-2011, 06:41 AM
^Who's operating the cobbler troll?

DMC
08-10-2011, 03:50 PM
To summarize this thread: None of the respondents quit on their respective team prior to the championship. Since only one team won a championship this year, we can narrow down the responses that actually mean anything.

Strangely (or not) those who are known to have denounced their team early on have not responded. That's in itself is an admission of guilt. Some really do feel they lost value as a fan, that they were not really able to celebrate the win as they wish they could have. Some have used a facade of celebration to mask the obvious truth; that they quit right before the payoff. Some are still in denial that they ever quit in the first place even though the evidence can be found on this forum quite easily.

It must suck. I cannot imagine it.