PDA

View Full Version : Is This a One Term Presidency?

DarrinS
08-08-2011, 04:51 PM
:downspin:

Lol @ patent reform as idea to improve the economy.

wEDQvZhZJ1c

ChumpDumper
08-08-2011, 04:55 PM
I read a blog!

Spurminator
08-08-2011, 04:55 PM
Damn you really hate Obama.

MannyIsGod
08-08-2011, 05:02 PM
Patent reform is actually a damn good idea to improve the economy. I can't watch the Youtube but there is absolutely no doubt that the BS going on with Apple/Samsung/HTC/Google etc etc is really hurting that market.

Ironic, considering you claim to be Mr. Software Patent.

ElNono
08-08-2011, 05:06 PM
The currently proposed patent reform won't do shit for the economy, period. It will simply rape the small inventor.

If Apple gave a shit about the country and the economy, they wouldn't park billions of dollars overseas waiting for a 'tax holiday'.

You would think Barry is in big trouble to get re-elected. The thing is, he's so tilted to the right, that the GOP has to come out with extreme right nutcases to portray him to the left. It's just truly amazing there's no clear GOP candidate yet.

MannyIsGod
08-08-2011, 05:18 PM
Whats the currently proposed patent reform? It wouldn't surprise me if it was hijacked by lobbyists but the fact that there are patents out there for the vaguest of bullshit is no doubt hurting innovation a great deal. It should not be a business to buy up these incredibly vague patents in the hope of making money through litigation.

I read that Microsoft makes more money from Android via HTC phones and patent settlements than it does off of Windows Phone 7. Thats just a symptom of all this crap.

MannyIsGod
08-08-2011, 05:27 PM
Wrong thread.

SA210
08-08-2011, 06:04 PM
wEDQvZhZJ1c

He really just spent 6 minutes talking and said nothing.

ElNono
08-08-2011, 06:28 PM
Whats the currently proposed patent reform? It wouldn't surprise me if it was hijacked by lobbyists but the fact that there are patents out there for the vaguest of bullshit is no doubt hurting innovation a great deal. It should not be a business to buy up these incredibly vague patents in the hope of making money through litigation.

I read that Microsoft makes more money from Android via HTC phones and patent settlements than it does off of Windows Phone 7. Thats just a symptom of all this crap.

Here's a rundown from 3 days ago: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/ezra-klein/post/why-patent-reform-isnt-really-about-patent-reform/2011/08/05/gIQAtuqUwI_blog.html

It does nothing to address patent trolling. It's just more catering to special groups and the 'first-to-file' concept is constitutionally dubious and very likely to screw over the small inventor.

DarrinS
08-08-2011, 06:53 PM
Patent reform is actually a damn good idea to improve the economy. I can't watch the Youtube but there is absolutely no doubt that the BS going on with Apple/Samsung/HTC/Google etc etc is really hurting that market.

I have four software patents, but they are pretty useless IMHO. If you're showing someone your idea, you're better off having them sign a nondisclosure agreement.

DarrinS
08-08-2011, 06:55 PM
Shit, look what Steve Jobs did at Xerox Parc.

MannyIsGod
08-08-2011, 07:44 PM
I have four software patents, but they are pretty useless IMHO. If you're showing someone your idea, you're better off having them sign a nondisclosure agreement.

http://blogmaverick.com/2011/08/06/if-you-want-to-see-more-jobs-created-change-patent-laws/

MannyIsGod
08-08-2011, 07:44 PM
N/M - Ill wait for the response to the Cuban blog post (and subsequent posts) before going there.

ElNono
08-08-2011, 07:56 PM
http://blogmaverick.com/2011/08/06/if-you-want-to-see-more-jobs-created-change-patent-laws/

Cuban has his heart in the right place. Lots of people (including me, that every time we make a successful product we're left wondering when we're going to get sued for stepping on somebody's patent) want patent rules more clear. It just isn't what's up at Washington right now though.

MannyIsGod
08-08-2011, 08:14 PM
Yeah I get that - I just think that its actually an area that could yield good results with proper reform. Of course, proper reform is pretty fucking rare these days.

DarrinS
08-08-2011, 08:45 PM
Yeah I get that - I just think that its actually an area that could yield good results with proper reform. Of course, proper reform is pretty fucking rare these days.

Then they should do it -- and we can all witness the massive deluge of job creation, the likes of which we've never seen before.

Of course most of these litigators are probably libs that don't want to lose their gravy train.

Yonivore
08-08-2011, 08:46 PM
One term? Hell, this may be the LAST term President if he doesn't quick fucking around or, if Congress doesn't grow a pair and start reigning his ass in.

DarrinS
08-08-2011, 08:47 PM
Don't get me wrong, I'm not against patent reform, I just don't see it creating massive jobs. But, fuck it, nothing else is working.

Yonivore
08-08-2011, 08:48 PM
Don't get me wrong, I'm not against patent reform, I just don't see it creating massive jobs. But, fuck it, nothing else is working.
They haven't tried cutting spending. That might work.

djohn2oo8
08-08-2011, 08:49 PM
One term? Hell, this may be the LAST term President if he doesn't quick fucking around or, if Congress doesn't grow a pair and start reigning his ass in.

Reign his ass in? He's caved about as much as anyone could cave to the right. He's definitely in trouble with his base because he is way to the right, not because of an exciting new candidate

ElNono
08-08-2011, 08:52 PM
Of course most of these litigators are probably libs that don't want to lose their gravy train.

You would be surprised to know that Marshall, Texas is the preferred venue for patent troll litigation. The "rocket docket" court is pretty famous for awarding cases to patent holders at a substantially higher percentage than other courts nationwide.

ElNono
08-08-2011, 08:53 PM
They haven't tried cutting spending. That might work.

'They' as in democrats and republicans?

Yonivore
08-08-2011, 08:58 PM
'They' as in democrats and republicans?
Either one.

Cut, Cap, and Balance was as close as the Republicans have come to actually having a positive effect. After the Democrats used it to wipe their asses in the Senate, I haven't seen much of a spine in the Republican Leadership.

Yonivore
08-08-2011, 08:59 PM
Reign his ass in? He's caved about as much as anyone could cave to the right. He's definitely in trouble with his base because he is way to the right, not because of an exciting new candidate
:lmao

Really, where's he caved?

ElNono
08-08-2011, 09:03 PM
Either one.

Cut, Cap, and Balance was as close as the Republicans have come to actually having a positive effect. After the Democrats used it to wipe their asses in the Senate, I haven't seen much of a spine in the Republican Leadership.

The reality is that if both sides wanted a balanced budget, you could have it tomorrow. Neither side gives a shit though.

And I don't know that Barry 'caved' to the right as much as him being simply a right leaning guy from the get go.

Yonivore
08-08-2011, 09:06 PM
The reality is that if both sides wanted a balanced budget, you could have it tomorrow. Neither side gives a shit though.

And I don't know that Barry 'caved' to the right as much as him being simply a right leaning guy from the get go.
I'd qualify that by saying no one on the Left wants that and precious few on the right that care, and even fewer that have the balls to force it on their own party, much less the Democrats.

Cowards.

djohn2oo8
08-08-2011, 09:08 PM
:lmao

Really, where's he caved?

Democrats wanted to tax the rich, the repugs said hell no to it, he agreed to a plan with no taxes and increase in revenue.

ElNono
08-08-2011, 09:10 PM
I'd qualify that by saying no one on the Left wants that and precious few on the right that care, and even fewer that have the balls to force it on their own party, much less the Democrats.

Last time we had that was a Dem President and a GOP Congress. Obviously, the economy was doing (artificially) a lot better than now. With this crop of politicians though, it's not meant to be.

TDMVPDPOY
08-08-2011, 10:54 PM
doesnt make a difference if its 1 or 2 terms, since he be able to get the pension and personal security provided....fck i wish all these expenses these ex politicians get from the taxpayer should be unfunded....

Capt Bringdown
08-08-2011, 11:46 PM
Not that I'm in any way in favor of it, but I'm beginning to think Perry can and probably will beat Obama.

Winehole23
08-09-2011, 02:08 AM
http://www.texastribune.org/texas-politics/2012-presidential-election/another-super-pac-run-close-perry-associates/

Winehole23
08-09-2011, 02:10 AM
That’s why we will be supporting “Make Us Great Again”, a newly founded Independent Expenditures Committee, registered with the Federal Election Commission.

boutons_deux
08-09-2011, 05:59 AM
Ricky Bobby Perry wouldn't fix shit in DC, because, obvious as hell, he wouldn't ever stand up to the VRWC's tea baggers as they relentlessly demand the destruction of govt (so the UCA can run rampant over Human-Americans and the environment). The military is excluded because many conservatives don't consider the military to be part of govt, and they get paid by the MIC as it vampire-sucks $Ts in wealth out of taxpayers.

Th'Pusher
08-09-2011, 01:40 PM
Either one.

How in the world is cutting, capping and balancing the federal budget going to create jobs? Or is it making it against the law to raise taxes what's going to create all these jobs?

SnakeBoy
08-09-2011, 02:44 PM
Not that I'm in any way in favor of it, but I'm beginning to think Perry can and probably will beat Obama.

You may be right judging from the liberals dismissal of Perry as a dumb christian redneck. Remember what happened the last time they misunderestimated a similar opponent.

ElNono
08-09-2011, 03:25 PM
You may be right judging from the liberals dismissal of Perry as a dumb christian redneck. Remember what happened the last time they misunderestimated a similar opponent.

We had a terrible president?

DarrinS
08-09-2011, 04:05 PM
yJZl-YzYHFc

ElNono
08-09-2011, 04:07 PM
Talking about Tim Pawlenty, how's he polling these days? Better/worse than GOP boutons?

RandomGuy
08-09-2011, 06:27 PM

Patents against prosperity

AMERICA is still in denial, but among economists and wonks I think the hard truth is settling in: we're not as rich as we thought we were and our prospects for future high growth rates aren't looking so great. America's last best hope for breaking free from what Tyler Cowen has called "the great stagnation" is the discovery of new "disruptive" technologies that would transform the possibilities of economic production in the way the fossil-fuel-powered engine did. As it stands, growth, such as it is, depends largely on many thousands of small innovations increasing efficiency incrementally along many thousands of margins. Innovation and invention is the key to continuing gains in prosperity
http://www.economist.com/blogs/democracyinamerica/2011/08/intellectual-property

Here is the Market Place money bit that is MUCH longer:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/2011/07/26/138576167/when-patents-attack

Some of this shit is waaaay creepy/slimy/outrageous

And, in fact, that's what's happening with Chris Crawford's patent. Intellectual Venures sold it to a company called Oasis research in June of 2010. Less than a month later, Oasis Research used the patent to sue over a dozen different tech companies, including Rackspace, GoDaddy, and AT&T.

We called Oasis several times, but no one ever answered the phone. For a while, the company's voice mail message directed all questions to John Desmarais , a lawyer in New York.

He didn't return our phone calls, but we did track him down at an intellectual property conference in San Francisco.

He cited attorney-client privilege, and wouldn't tell us anything — not even who owns Oasis Research. (He did say he's a big fan of NPR.)

There was hardly any public information about Oasis Research. No way to know who owned it, or how many employees it had.

One of the few details that was available was an address: 104 E. Houston street, suite 190, Marshall, Texas.

So we went to Marshall. The door to Oasis's office was locked, and through the crack under the door we could see there were no lights were on inside.

It's kind of a cliche to knock on the door of the empty office. But we'd flown a long way. So we knocked. No one answered.

The office was in a corridor where all the other doors looked exactly the same —locked, nameplates over the door, no light coming out. It was a corridor of silent, empty offices with names like "Software Rights Archive," and "Bulletproof Technology of Texas."

It turns out a lot of those companies in that corridor, maybe every single one of them, is doing exactly what Oasis Research is doing. They appear to have no employees. They are not coming up with new inventions. The companies are in Marshall, Texas because they are filing lawsuits for patent infringement.

Patent lawsuits are big business in Marshall, which is part of the eastern district of Texas.

Many people say that juries in Marshall are friendly to patent owners trying to get a large verdict. A local lawyer who has argued on both sides of numerous patent cases says it's actually because cases go to trial more quickly in Marshall than in other places.

In any case, thousands of lawsuits are filed there, claiming that there's an inventor whose invention is being used without permission. But there are no inventors in Marshall, just corridors of empty offices.

We did find one key detail about Oasis Research. It was in a legal document called a Certification of Interested Parties, which lists all the entities with a financial interest in Oasis. Tom Ewing, an intellectual property lawyer who makes a business of tracking IV, brought it to our attention.

The Oasis document lists the usual parties — the plaintiff, the defendants, the attorneys involved. But it also includes one other name: Intellectual Ventures

DarkReign
08-10-2011, 08:41 AM
Definite one term President barring some major good news between now and November 2012.

Seeing as the economy is tanking and only looks to get worse, unless the Republicans put up Bachmann as a candidate, theyre going to win with any of Romney/Huckabee/Old, Bland White Guy in an Expensive Suit.

Spurminator
08-10-2011, 09:52 AM
I don't think so. People aren't fond of Obama right now but it's not like the GOP is winning people over.

Perry has the best shot, imo. I don't think any of the other GOP candidates can win. I think people will still settle for Obama. The most crucial thing for the Dems will be getting voter turnout.

MannyIsGod
08-10-2011, 10:01 AM
I've learned my lesson regarding long term political predictions. And as of this moment, predicting the 2011 election definitely qualifies as long term.

There is no doubt that Obama has lot most of his luster and that reelection is far from assured. However, there should also be no doubt that as an incumbent, he will remain the favorite and maintain a position of strength even with a very weak economy.

coyotes_geek
08-10-2011, 10:10 AM
It's way too early to call. We need to see what the economy does over the next 15 months. I'm going to go ahead and assume Perry is the GOP candidate. If we're in a double dip, I can't see Obama beating Perry. If things are clearly on the upswing, I think Obama's safe. And there's a big murky grey area in the middle where you try to balance an economy that's not improving as rapidly as everyone would like it to versus the nation's hesitance to elect another Texas governor as president.

xrayzebra
08-10-2011, 10:18 AM
Hey Obama fans, is Hillary looking a lot better now days............just think
you would have gotten two for one......Bill is still hanging around between
sessions with the girls.:lol

ChumpDumper
08-10-2011, 11:46 AM
Hey Obama fans, is Hillary looking a lot better now days............just think
you would have gotten two for one......Bill is still hanging around between
sessions with the girls.:lolWhat do you think Hillary would have done differently, X?

ManuBalboa
08-10-2011, 11:46 AM
obama doesn't have a chance in '12 tbh.

xrayzebra
08-10-2011, 12:07 PM
What do you think Hillary would have done differently, X?

I dunno, you tell me. Your the expert. But how's all that hope and
change treating you? Chump!

Damn sure isn't treating our country very good. Now we have a real
reason to hope for change. The next election.

ManuBalboa
08-10-2011, 03:49 PM
However, there should also be no doubt that as an incumbent, he will remain the favorite and maintain a position of strength even with a very weak economy.

lol wut?

hater
08-10-2011, 03:52 PM
I hope so. This country needs to hit rock bottom. Maybe then things will change.

I am rooting for a Bachman/Palin/Perry presidency. :toast

scott
08-10-2011, 04:24 PM
Sad when American Election Strategy basically boils down to "be the party that fucks up the least".

Agloco
08-10-2011, 04:34 PM
I am rooting for a Bachman/Palin/Perry presidency. :toast

Scary......

boutons_deux
08-10-2011, 04:41 PM
Colorado: 48% Barry 40% Willard The Stupid Mormon

RandomGuy
08-10-2011, 05:12 PM
What do you think Hillary would have done differently, X?

One would hope she would have had the guts to call the extremists that have taken over the GOP on their shit, and not caved.

Not entirely certain.

At this point, this liberal is, to put it mildly, deeply disappointed in our current Republican president.

Yeah, I went there.

RandomGuy
08-10-2011, 05:13 PM
Sad when American Election Strategy basically boils down to "be the party that fucks up the least".

Indeed.

boutons_deux
08-10-2011, 05:16 PM
"be the party that fucks up the least".

bullshit, the candidates that spend the most win 90% of the time.

Citizens United will insure that UCA/capitalist secret campaign money will disenfranchise Human-Americans even more.

SnakeBoy
08-10-2011, 05:35 PM
One would hope she would have had the guts to call the extremists that have taken over the GOP on their shit, and not caved.

Not entirely certain.

At this point, this liberal is, to put it mildly, deeply disappointed in our current Republican president.

Yeah, I went there.

She tried to warn you but you were to in love to listen.

9pPV1yd7sQg

SnakeBoy
08-10-2011, 05:38 PM
Not entirely certain.

She most certainly wouldn't have created the healthcare debacle that led to Dems being swept out of office....she learned that lesson long ago.

ElNono
08-10-2011, 05:43 PM
led to Dems being swept out of office....

You mean lose the House...

SnakeBoy
08-10-2011, 05:47 PM
You mean lose the House...

Yes

As to the op, for modern presidents only Jimmy Carter has had a lower approval rating at this point in their presidency. Reagan was only slightly higher than Obama at this point but he had an improving economy on his side. It's only going to get worse for Obama.

ElNono
08-10-2011, 05:49 PM
He's one of the few guys that managed to alienate both the left and the right...

boutons_deux
08-10-2011, 05:51 PM
"the healthcare debacle that led to Dems being swept out of office"

it wasn't a debacle, but it was severely crippled by the Repugs and UCA.

Hey, Stupid, what caused the Repug House win was "The Economy, Stupid", and the Repugs have done nothing about job and everything to make the bad economy worse and last longer.

The Hillary health care debacle was caused by the health care industry and lying ads like "Harry and Louise". Barry had to buy off those same players which greatly lessened the benefits to Human-Americans. But Barry's healthcare reform is more popular as people learn more about it, rather then listening to Repug lies. The Repugs are refusing to fund the exchanges which are already hyper complicated by the for-scam health insurers.

ChumpDumper
08-10-2011, 06:00 PM
I dunno, you tell me. Your the expert. But how's all that hope and
change treating you? Chump!

Damn sure isn't treating our country very good. Now we have a real
reason to hope for change. The next election.I'm doing fine, actually -- better every year. I guess you are waiting for government to save you. Typical.

You're the one that brought it up with the implicit claim Hillary would do things differently.

If you want to be a pussy about it and try to change the subject when asked a direct question about your claim, I can't say I'm surprised.

SnakeBoy
08-10-2011, 06:07 PM
But Barry's healthcare reform is more popular as people learn more about it, rather then listening to Repug lies.

55% favored repeal when it was passed. 54% favor repeal now. (cue "Rasmussen works for the repugs").

RCP average - 48% opposed it when passed, 50.6 oppose it now.

ElNono
08-10-2011, 06:20 PM
55% favored repeal when it was passed. 54% favor repeal now. (cue "Rasmussen works for the repugs").

RCP average - 48% opposed it when passed, 50.6 oppose it now.

So 52% approved it when it passed, and 49.4 still do...

I honestly don't think we'll see the real impact until 2014, and thus the actual way people feel about it when it touches their pockets. That is, if it survives that long.

SnakeBoy
08-10-2011, 07:15 PM
So 52% approved it when it passed, and 49.4 still do...

I don't understand your spin. Crazy boutons said it was more popular now, that simply isn't true no matter how you spin the numbers.

Wild Cobra
08-10-2011, 07:30 PM
Wouldn't it be funny if some democrats decided to run against Obama?

SnakeBoy
08-10-2011, 07:38 PM

I'd enjoy the show but Hillary is the only one that could do it and she's not going to.

ElNono
08-10-2011, 07:40 PM
I don't understand your spin. Crazy boutons said it was more popular now, that simply isn't true no matter how you spin the numbers.

Well, you said '55% favored repeal when it was passed. 54% favor repeal now.'
Those numbers certainly support boutons contention.

But as you said, you can probably find every kind of numbers out there. I personally don't think they're really relevant as the full impact of the legislation doesn't really hit until 2014.

ElNono
08-10-2011, 07:41 PM

Considering your meme of calling GOP candidates RINO, I would argue they already are.