PDA

View Full Version : NFC West 2011

symple19
08-08-2011, 09:49 PM
Since everyone but the Seahawks are repped in this here forum, I figured a thread was in order.

I'll start by posting this laughably optimistic Blog post from the Santa Rosa Press Democrat's Inside the 49ers http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/2011/08/training-camp/taking-stock-of-the-organization/

Now, I could be a zillion percent wrong about the Niners impending season, and I hope I am, but anything more than 7 wins will be, imo, a miracle

Taking stock of the organization
Posted on August 7, 2011 by Grant Cohn
Today’s the first break in the action of the 49ers training camp, so let’s take stock of the organization.

I apologize if this is redundant. It seems like the appropriate exercise for this off day.

Have the 49ers improved from last year?

They’ve lost six starters. They are: Nate Clements, Dashon Goldson, Takeo Spikes, Manny Lawson, Aubrayo Franklin, and David Baas.

They’ve also lost some backups: David Carr, Troy Smith, and Barry Sims.

Then there’s Michael Crabtree, who’s “working through” a left foot injury. And there’s also Taylor Mays, whom the 49ers want to trade.

Here are the replacements: Braylon Edwards, Jonathan Goodwin, Aldon Smith, Carlos Rogers, Donte Whitner, and Madieu Williams.

And of course, the main replacement is Jim Harbaugh for former head coach Mike Singletary.

So, have the 49ers improved? You bet.

Most of the players they’ve lost are on defense, and they’re mostly big, run-stoppers. In today’s NFL, you’ve got to be able to stop the pass, and this 49er team has improved in that area.

Why? Because the defense is just plain faster. Rogers is quicker and better in coverage than Clements. Whitner plays faster than Mays. And Aldon Smith, who may not be as fast as Lawson, will get to the quarterback quicker and more often. He should make the entire defense better against the pass. They may have more trouble against the run or covering faster tight ends, but overall they’re a better unit than last year.

On the offense, Goodwin is an upgrade over Baas, and Edwards is the perfect replacement for Crabtree while he’s injured. If the two mature and play up to their potential, the 49ers could have the best starting wide receivers in the NFC West.

The main reason the offense is better than last year, though, is because of the coaches – Harbaugh and Greg Roman. With those two designing and calling the plays instead of Jimmy Raye and Mike Johnson, the team has drastically improved. No longer will opposing defenses predict the 49ers plays at the line of scrimmage. Alex Smith, Frank Gore, and Vernon Davis all should have the best years of their careers.

Here’s why I say that. Alex Smith still looks like the same Alex Smith in practice. But when he checks down to Gore, the play design usually gives Gore lots of space to run after the catch. And when Smith wants to throw his bread and butter, the seam to Vernon Davis, he’s usually open. This is a direct result of deceptive play-calling.

The deception comes from pre-snap shifts, and from Alex Smith’s eyes. In practice, he’s been staring down receivers less and less. When he checks down to Gore, it’s usually his third or fourth read, even if it seems like he wanted to throw to him all along. These progressions are designed and they’re effective.

It’s fair to say the 49ers have the most talent in the NFC West. If the coaching staff lives up to expectations, the 49ers should win the division.

So, all credit to Jed York, who let Trent Baalke do his job unhindered.

Baalke said he had a plan, he said he wanted to be patient, and he was true to his word.

symple19
08-08-2011, 10:14 PM
Goodwin>Baas...............Uhhhhh, no

Is Carlos Rogers an upgrade over Clements? Maybe slightly in pass coverage, but not against the run. Carlos is also quieter than Nate and doesn't have a knack for making the big play the way Clements did.

Braylon Edwards has talent, but all signs point to another player who should be very good but can't get out of his own way off the field. Niners have already had a TO, they don't need another. Some reports also say he showed up to camp out of shape....big surprise :rolleyes

Crabtree has to get healthy, and has to want to win for the Niners. He'll get healthy, but I just don't know if he's ever going to buy in to what the organization is trying to do. Can't really blame him

Losing Aubrayo Franklin, Manny Lawson, and Takeo Spikes is tough. Takeo was the outspoken leader, Franklin was a playmaker (arguably the best defensive player on the field for stretches other than PW), and Lawson was serviceable(and very good in coverage). Alton Smith, a rookie, replaces Lawson. People are already talking about how great this guy is, but he's a fucking rookie, an underclassman at that. I'll believe it when I see it. Nobody has been brought in to replace Franklin, which is a huge space to fill. Let's remember that the Niner defense HAS NOT been the problem the last few years

And then there is Alex Smith... This guy is a failure and a disgrace to the organization and the scarlet and gold uniform worn by the like of Young and Montana. phssssshhhh, please. The comments in the above blog post about Smith read like the act for a stand up comedian. "Smith is staring down receivers less and less". "Alex Smith still looks like the same Alex Smith in practice" Jesus fucking christ, he should have learned not to stare down receivers by his junior year of college.

On the QB tip, check this out:

Matt Maiocco of CSNBayArea.com looks at potential quarterback options for the 49ers. Maiocco: "I'm told if there's a quarterback who shakes free or becomes available that Jim Harbaugh likes, the club will make an effort to get him. The No. 1 name on everybody's list is Tampa Bay backup quarterback Josh Johnson, who played for Harbaugh at the University of San Diego and greatly desires a chance to play for him again. Johnson enters the final year of his contract, and there are no long-term hopes of being a starter with Josh Freeman firmly entrenched as the Buccaneers' starter. There would be hope for Johnson if he came to the 49ers, as Alex Smith is signed to just a one-year deal and Colin Kaepernick is promising but very raw."

Yes! Josh Johnson may be the answer!!! Tampa's backup! woohoo! kill me now

As for Harbaugh, I'll give him some time. But to say that the team has, "drastically improved" without the team ever having played a meaningful down of football is crazy talk. Proof is in the pudding, and I won't get to see any pudding until Sep 11th.

Here's what I found the most hilarious, these last 3 sentences in the blog post:

It’s fair to say the 49ers have the most talent in the NFC West. If the coaching staff lives up to expectations, the 49ers should win the division.

So, all credit to Jed York, who let Trent Baalke do his job unhindered.

Baalke said he had a plan, he said he wanted to be patient, and he was true to his word.

Somebody's been chugging that koolaid.

symple19
08-08-2011, 10:23 PM
In many ways, Baalke nuked a defense that was pretty good. He's got a whole fuckload of safeties in camp, and there is no way in hell this team will be better against the run. THAT NIGGA Pat Willis can't do it all on his own

I just can't fathom how people in the in the Bay Area, media included, are so optimistic. Or delusional, whatever. I guess when you suck so bad for so long, you'll grasp at anything. We shall see

:toast to football

symple19
08-12-2011, 08:40 PM
49ers getting obliterated. Alex Smith got hit hard a bunch, too bad he wasn't killed by a Saints Linebacker

mojorizen7
08-13-2011, 02:24 AM
FWIW i really liked RB Kendall Hunter in the draft. I wanted the Rams to grab him there in the 4th rd.

I'll be watching his progress there in SF.

symple19
08-13-2011, 07:26 AM

symple19
08-13-2011, 07:28 AM
FWIW i really liked RB Kendall Hunter in the draft. I wanted the Rams to grab him there in the 4th rd.

KH showed some life and should see some carries as the season moves forward. Besides Gore, Anthony Dixon should get a lion's share of the carries, however

Problem with Hunter is he can't block worth a shit and just isn't big enough to be an every down back. Harbaugh will need to get creative to try and get him in the open field where he's the most dangerous

symple19
08-13-2011, 07:29 AM

What are you looking for out of the Rams against Indy tonight?

pawe
08-13-2011, 10:37 AM
Everyone is looking awkward in the pre season games but it sucks more for the teams overhauling their system with a new coach like the 49ers.
If Alex Smith is already having a hard time grasping the new offense plus him having this enormous pressure from everyone to perform well then I think they will be the last in the division.
Is Gore still holding out?

Good thing the Cards will play the 49ers in the later part of the season so they can at least polish their games better...both teams hate each other.

symple19
08-13-2011, 12:33 PM
Everyone is looking awkward in the pre season games but it sucks more for the teams overhauling their system with a new coach like the 49ers.
If Alex Smith is already having a hard time grasping the new offense plus him having this enormous pressure from everyone to perform well then I think they will be the last in the division.
Is Gore still holding out?

Good thing the Cards will play the 49ers in the later part of the season so they can at least polish their games better...both teams hate each other.

nah, gore is back

O-line looked atrocious

Smith was his usual terrible self, even though he didn't have much time to do anything. The guy charms coaches, looks okay in practice, then goes out and shits the bed. This has been going on for 6 years, it's beyond me why anyone thinks this year will be different

And I don't give a fuck that it's the first preseason game. QB's need an "it" factor, and Smith will just never have it

Kaepernick looked much better with the same amount of preparation time

The Niners are horrible, and you should go ahead and pencil in a couple w's

IronMexican
08-13-2011, 01:56 PM
I hope Kaepernick is a bust.

pawe
08-13-2011, 02:30 PM
I think for this season, a team will go as far as their QBs take them. You need a good QB and not just a decent QB if you want to lockup the division since almost everyone improved overall and they all made good moves.

Kolb looked decent, he showed he can scramble and has the arm for deep throws. His backup, Skelton, is big and also has a strong arm and the skills to be a good qb but obviously needs to be polished more.

Bradford definitely is good...barring the star player soph slump and injuries. Feeley is a great tutoring vet that knows the west coast offense well and Bradford benefits from this. They might get the eagles but since they're a div rival, I hope they get their ass beat in week 1.

Jackson and Whitehurst, I dont know why the Seahawks didnt go for Orton or Young TBH. The Cards were ready to overpay for Whitehurst before and the Hawks declined the offer and now he'll end up just as a backup again?

Alex Smith and Kapernick? What the hell 49ers? But hey, Alex Smith if I remember correctly, was a top 3 QB last season on red zone efficiency.

Pelicans78
08-13-2011, 05:33 PM
I wasn't impressed with Kaepernick at all. He's only a rookie and probably should be a 3rd stringer this year, but his release affects his accuracy and he just holds the balll too long. He did make a couple of nice runs. He has potential, but he shouldn't sniff a regular season game for a couple of seasons.

symple19
08-13-2011, 06:16 PM
I'm not saying Kaepernick is going to be any good, I'm saying that relative to Alex Smith, he looked good (which is saying almost nothing at all)

The QB position for the Niners is a lost cause right now

mojorizen7
08-13-2011, 09:36 PM
What are you looking for out of the Rams against Indy tonight?

Uhhh...better late than never LOL. I missed the 1st half(working).

I was looking for some scoring and moving the chains on offense since its a brand new offense. From the looks of things they accomplished that.
Rookie 2nd rd TE Lance Kendricks has played well in camp,and he played well tonight(5 rec 47 yrds and a TD)....looks like a nice young weapon for Bradford.
I admit i thought that pick was a reach on draft day...WTF do i know though?.....im in retail mgmt. :lol

pawe
08-15-2011, 10:42 AM
49ers signed QB Daunte Culpepper for a workout..lol 49ers QBs.
Why not just bring in Favre and be done with it?

symple19
08-15-2011, 10:44 AM
49ers signed QB Daunte Culpepper for a workout..lol 49ers QBs.
Why not just bring in Favre and be done with it?

beat me to it. Right now Culpepper would probably be the best option, sad as it is to say

Thing is, dude is old and injury prone and would probably be hurt by week 2.

:depressed:depressed:depressed:depressed

symple19
08-15-2011, 10:51 AM
Alex Smith got booed at yesterday's 49ers fan fest :lmao

They actually had the nerve to use Smith in order to recreate 1982's "the drive".

Smith had his 3rd and 2 pass batted down by rookie Aldon Smith

The Niners are a fucking joke, and Harbaugh is doing nothing to give me any hope

http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/20110814/NEWS/110819721/1057/SPORTS0908?p=all&tc=pgall

symple19
08-15-2011, 10:53 AM
Somebody kill me now

The final drive of the afternoon was symbolic in a crushingly bad way. Just awful. The 49ers were now playing 11-on-11 and Harbaugh got the idea — why? — to replicate the drive that led to “The Catch” that led to a victory over the Dallas Cowboys in the NFC championship at Candlestick, which led to the 49ers winning their first Super Bowl.

That drive, Jan. 10, 1982. Harbaugh even instructed the clock operator to put 4:54 on the clock to simulate when the drive started and to put up the score: Dallas 27, San Francisco 21, the same score at the start of the drive. And he had his offense move in the same direction it moved in 1982.

Let’s be clear about this. The drive they were reenacting is the most famous drive in San Francisco 49ers history. So, Harbaugh was both honoring history and diminishing his own players in comparison to the ultimate standard, Joe Montana to Dwight Clark, Clark sailing through the air and catching that sucker.

What in the world was Harbaugh thinking when he put Smith in the Montana role? It’s enough to make you laugh — or cry. Alex Smith is not Joe Montana and he never will be.

Unlike Montana, Smith had several of his passes tipped or knocked down at the line of scrimmage in the 11-on-11 drill. In one sequence, his own defense, which was not trying to sack him, which was merely practicing, tipped three of five passes. You’ll notice Smith has lots of passes tipped in real games, too.

Then came the final play of the afternoon. Many in the crowd had walked down the aisles so they could run onto the field to meet and greet the players. Security was holding them back. These people are hard-core Niner fans.

Smith as Montana took the snap from center. Smith as Montana looked for a receiver — looked for a phantom Clark to streak across the north end zone. Smith looked from one receiver to another. Suddenly, Smith pulled the ball to his body and started running to his left, where any number of defensive lineman or linebackers could have blasted him if they were allowed to. He submitted himself to a two-hand-touch sack.

Ouch. There was no pass, no “Catch,” no score, no heroism. The play ended as an anti-climactic dud, Smith doing what he does — nothing.

“Boo! Boo!” the crowd responded swiftly and with derision. The harsh sounds of boos invaded the field and swept into the air and ricocheted off the stands and re-invaded the field. Smith had to hear the boos. And then he did what he always does. He dropped his head, defeated.

Harbaugh is trying to sell the organization and himself on Smith. He can’t fool the Faithful.

DUNCANownsKOBE
08-15-2011, 11:00 AM
God, Harbaugh seems like he's gonna be a terrible coach in the NFL

symple19
08-15-2011, 11:05 AM
Uhhh...better late than never LOL. I missed the 1st half(working).

I was looking for some scoring and moving the chains on offense since its a brand new offense. From the looks of things they accomplished that.
Rookie 2nd rd TE Lance Kendricks has played well in camp,and he played well tonight(5 rec 47 yrds and a TD)....looks like a nice young weapon for Bradford.
I admit i thought that pick was a reach on draft day...WTF do i know though?.....im in retail mgmt. :lol

well, I know not to place too much emphasis on preseason games (niners were 5-0 last year), but the way the Rams played seemed like a nice step in the right direction

pawe
08-15-2011, 12:17 PM
What was he trying to prove recreating the catch? That Smith can be a hero if the opportunity like that arises? Dude's a bust! They should go for Carson Palmer.

In other news, Ochocinco might get cut by the pats. He can be the needed #2 WR for the Cards...but undrafted WR Williams is looking really good right now.

DUNCANownsKOBE
08-15-2011, 12:33 PM
Idk where you heard it but Ochocinco isn't getting cut by New England. Everything out of New England so far regarding Ochocino has said he's been extremely eager to learn and has been staying after practice with Brady to learn routes and learn the offense.

JMarkJohns
08-15-2011, 12:57 PM
Idk where you heard it but Ochocinco isn't getting cut by New England. Everything out of New England so far regarding Ochocino has said he's been extremely eager to learn and has been staying after practice with Brady to learn routes and learn the offense.

There was some Yahoo.com article saying that Fat Albert might not be long for the Pats, and that Ocho is no cincho to make the roster, either. Can't imagine they don't keep Ocho, but apparently Albert hasn't been impressing anyone.

With Heaps mid-field ability, finding another receiver is less of a concern, but there's gotta be someone, because I don't trust Doucet to stay healthy or Williams yet. If injury occurs, in just two full seasons the deepest receiving corps will be one of the thinnest.

DUNCANownsKOBE
08-15-2011, 01:00 PM
The guy who wrote the article about Albert and Ocho Cinco is probably the same guy who wrote an article in 2007 saying that Moss might get cut before the season even starts.

DUNCANownsKOBE
08-15-2011, 01:03 PM
A competent left tackle is still by far the offense's biggest need.

DeadlyDynasty
08-15-2011, 01:41 PM
You should get 25-1 odds for predicting the Final Standings in the NFC West. That division is so shitty, yet so wide open

pawe
08-15-2011, 02:09 PM
Exactly! NFC West teams have a higher chance than others because they get to play with each other. You just have to rack up enough wins so you get a bye and a home field advantage...you get plenty of rest and a little luck and its '08 Cardinals again.

symple19
08-15-2011, 02:50 PM
Exactly! NFC West teams have a higher chance than others because they get to play with each other. You just have to rack up enough wins so you get a bye and a home field advantage...you get plenty of rest and a little luck and its '08 Cardinals again.

Pawe, I can't get a handle on you. You'll make a good point and then you'll turn around and make a statement like this or the one about the Eagles.

pawe
08-15-2011, 04:32 PM
Why? It's true that NFCW teams has a higher chance to go to the superbowl this year.

3 things:

- NFC west teams plays in the weakest division and everyone is equally matched so far, so 1 NFC west team gelled well they can sweep the division easily.
- Another is the strength of schedule this year: hawks (23), rams(26), 49ers(30), cardinals(32)
- other teams pencil in the wins against NFCW and they tend to become overconfident.

So let's say Kolb turns out to be a good qb, its very possible that they can sweep the 49ers and hawks and get one in Stl and add the fact that this season they also play the panthers, skins, bengals, vikings and browns which are all winnable. that's 10 wins right there and I honestly think the Cards can get 11-12 wins and make franchise history.

You can get a bye and a homefield adv if you are in the NFCW. Just get to the playoffs! I mean, the seahawks punked the saints last year, right?

symple19
08-15-2011, 04:52 PM
Why? It's true that NFCW teams has a higher chance to go to the superbowl this year.

3 things:

- NFC west teams plays in the weakest division and everyone is equally matched so far, so 1 NFC west team gelled well they can sweep the division easily.

I would take the view that because they're more evenly matched, they will beat up on each other just like last year

- Another is the strength of schedule this year: hawks (23), rams(26), 49ers(30), cardinals(32)
- other teams pencil in the wins against NFCW and they tend to become overconfident.

The easier schedule part i'll listen to, but it's a big leap to say that other teams are going to be complacent against the west. I'll use your own Seahawks playoff reference to refute that. In the NFL, with as much parity as there is, I just don't think teams ever really take a week off, even against inferior NFCW opponents (the Niners may be the exception, but you can beat them even by taking a week off)

So let's say Kolb turns out to be a good qb, its very possible that they can sweep the 49ers and hawks and get one in Stl and add the fact that this season they also play the panthers, skins, bengals, vikings and browns which are all winnable. that's 10 wins right there and I honestly think the Cards can get 11-12 wins and make franchise history.

It's possible, but probable? If you're going to throw hypotheticals out there, then we could go all day long. Injuries, surprisingly good teams, bad weather, bad coaching, bad refs, etc will all work to even that stuff out

You can get a bye and a homefield adv if you are in the NFCW. Just get to the playoffs! I mean, the seahawks punked the saints last year, right?

I still think that game was a fluke, but you're correct about the homefield advantage part. Thing is, the Pack never played a home game last year in the playoffs, and look where they ended up. Home field in the NFL is just a tad overrated (no sarcasm, it helps, but not as much as in other sports. Especially if you're an outdoor team)

pawe
08-15-2011, 05:19 PM
I also believe the whole league is fucked up right now because of the lack of training camp and lack of conditioning as a result of the partial lockout. Inferior teams can sneak up on good teams just because of the lack of organization, it's kinda like everyone's rushed back into playing and most teams probably will treat this season as a "tanking season" just for the lack of preparation.

So, if you're a team in the NFCW where you want to bring in fans for team funding, you try to play as hard as possibl this season while everyone else is in a kind of lull.

- For me, homefield adv is not overrated. The Hawks probably won that game because their field is the loudest arena in the NFL, the noise can mess up the count and it can lead to messing up the timing and false starts. Yeah they have a silent count but the home team will know it and prepare for it. All the advantages go to the home team.

symple19
08-15-2011, 05:42 PM
I also believe the whole league is fucked up right now because of the lack of training camp and lack of conditioning as a result of the partial lockout. Inferior teams can sneak up on good teams just because of the lack of organization, it's kinda like everyone's rushed back into playing and most teams probably will treat this season as a "tanking season" just for the lack of preparation.

agree with the first part, second (bolded) part, not so much

- For me, homefield adv is not overrated. The Hawks probably won that game because their field is the loudest arena in the NFL, the noise can mess up the count and it can lead to messing up the timing and false starts. Yeah they have a silent count but the home team will know it and prepare for it. All the advantages go to the home team.

The Seahawks won that game because the NO defense suddenly forgot how to tackle Marshawn Lynch. NO's defense was piss poor all around, turning in one of their worst performances of the year (crowd noise is far less when the opposing defense is on the field)

The NO offense gained more total yards, more passing yards, ran more plays, had more first downs (both rushing and passing), was better on 3rd down, and had an equal number of penalty yards as SEA

The crowd really didn't affect the NO offense. It was squarely on the D and poor special teams. Add in the injuries (2 running backs and 2 defensive starters), and those weren't the same Saints we saw during the season

But, Seattle won. Fair and square. Wouldn't give the crowd an assist, though

pawe
08-16-2011, 01:34 PM
A competent left tackle is still by far the offense's biggest need.

You'd love this news then:

AZ Cardinals 2011 salary top 3
1. WR Larri Fitzgerald $11,250,000 million
2. LT Levi Brown $9,420,000 million
3. SS Adrian Wilson $7,550,000 million

I think it's safe to say "say goodbye to your LT free agent signing".

DUNCANownsKOBE
08-16-2011, 01:38 PM
Levi Brown is a good right tackle, Brandon Keith is the problem. Make keith a backup, move Brown back to right tackle, and find a competent left tackle.

pawe
08-16-2011, 02:03 PM
Bridges might start over Keith at RT.
At least Kolb showed he can scramble...and I hope he wont get killed by Brown.

DUNCANownsKOBE
08-16-2011, 02:13 PM
Bridges is better than Keith.

The problems with the line is a classic example of Whisenhunt's massive ego being a problem. Rather than assemble an offensive line with real talent and make it an elite offensive line, Whisenhunt would rather overglorify talentless hacks like Seindlein, Lutui, and Keith and rave about how he developed those talentless hacks into average O-linemen.

It's no different than that retarded comment he made a year or so ago about how he prefers to draft guys with less talent from smaller conferences who "work harder" over guys from bigger conferences with more talent.

pawe
08-16-2011, 04:00 PM
...Or the retarded comment he just said about not going after lee evans or floyd because he'd rather want a breaston type wr than a proven vet...when they already have breaston and just let him walk to the Chiefs.

Brown was handpicked by Whiz and he is going to be the LT whether the fans like it or not.
Im an FO guy but I just dont know what the fuck they are doing sometimes.

symple19
08-17-2011, 09:15 PM
The 49ers signed Josh McCown!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sweet!

I found these fantastic pictures of him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!

http://media.trb.com/media/photo/2003-12/10523867.jpg

http://abritishman.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/panthers-backup-quarterback-josh-mccown-sits-on-the-bench.jpg?w=363&h=409

http://media.kansas.com/smedia/2011/07/22/14/06/17g04K.SlMa.80.jpg

http://www.prphotos.com/i/IOS-002422/Josh-McCown-2007-NFL---Week-16---Oakland-Raiders-at-Jacksonville-Jaguars-(49-11)---December-23,-2007.jpg

http://imgs.sfgate.com/c/pictures/2007/09/17/sp_raiders17_270pc.jpg

So excited I can barely stand it! The Niner front office has finally found the missing ingredient!!! Get ready, NFC West!!!

DUNCANownsKOBE
08-17-2011, 09:28 PM
lol Josh McCown

The worst thing about that guy was how he always looks like he's staring into the sun and has a mongoloid tard look on his face that got worse after interceptions.

symple19
08-17-2011, 09:42 PM
http://www.onionsportsnetwork.com/articles/49ers-front-office-excited-for-meeting-with-footba,21125/?utm_source=morenews

SAN FRANCISCO—Members of the 49ers front office admitted to frantically cleaning up clutter and rearranging furniture in the team’s conference room several hours before last Friday's scheduled meeting with wide receiver Derrick Mason. “Oh my God, I can’t believe an actual, real-life football player is coming here to meet us,” 49ers president Jed York told reporters before taking a deep breath, wiping sweat from his forehead, and yelling at his colleagues not to come off as too desperate. “Let’s just be cool. We’ll let him be the first person to bring up football, and then we’ll mention that we’re fans of his, real casual. Wait—should we have shoulder pads in here? Is he going to want to play football with us or just talk about football? But maybe he doesn't want to be put on the spot. You think we hung up too many pictures of him on the wall?” At press time, Mason had yet to show, and a visibly solemn York had to be comforted by team GM Trent Baalke, who assured his boss that Mason was probably just stuck in traffic somewhere.

JMarkJohns
08-17-2011, 09:48 PM
Dolph Lundgren makes a random appearance in the film The Expendables, just a year before Josh McCown resurfaces as expendable in yet another NFL stint.

Coincidence?

DUNCANownsKOBE
08-17-2011, 09:49 PM
He's like a deformed and retarded looking version of Jimmy Clausen

http://b.vimeocdn.com/ts/120/164/120164723_200.jpg

symple19
08-17-2011, 09:54 PM
I'll hear none of this

He's the SAVIOR

symple19
08-17-2011, 09:54 PM
:lol

pawe
08-18-2011, 11:16 AM
I dont like this...
Just think what if the niners win the division.

symple19
08-18-2011, 12:35 PM
I dont like this...
Just think what if the niners win the division.

wtf are you talking about? :lol The Niners are the biggest mess in the league right now, imo

pawe
08-18-2011, 01:32 PM
That's why I dont like it! What if they suddenly start beating teams left and right and win the division with all these LOL signings.
The rest of the NFCW teams will be a bigger LOL

symple19
08-18-2011, 06:51 PM
That's why I dont like it! What if they suddenly start beating teams left and right and win the division with all these LOL signings.
The rest of the NFCW teams will be a bigger LOL

Pawe, don't get paranoid brah. It's gonna be okay.

mojorizen7
08-23-2011, 05:11 AM
The fucking short bus division.......NFC West.
Whats the statistic though.....? isnt it since 2000(11 yrs for those who cant count) the NFC West has represented the NFC in the Super Bowl 4 times? 4/11

Ok only 1 championship(1 for 4) but come on..... is it really that bad? .......yeah ok its fluke shit.....
Only Kurt Warner could get you there 3 of 4 times times though with two different teams...HOFamer? I'm obviously suck dick gracious to the man for the '99 Rams title but honestly....i dont think he makes the HOF.

pawe
08-23-2011, 10:26 AM
NFCW sucks. But they are getting better every year.

Warner is a HOFer.
1 ring, 2 MVPs, 3 passing yards record in the superbowl. And It's cardinals defense that lost him the '08 superbowl against the steelers.

Plus, he is a feel good story. Starting as a store bagger to superbowl qb and then coming back from adversity is hall of fame character.

JMarkJohns
08-23-2011, 10:46 AM
Warner, despite his up-n-down career and relatively short prime, was one of the most dynamic QBs of his generation. In per-game averages (totals not anywhere close due to down years, length of career), Warner is amongst the best to ever play, and he elevated two of the losingest franchises in the process. Not alone, of course, but at the most important time in the most important position, Warner was an invaluable leader. He had one game-winning drive (sub 2 minutes remaining) and two other game-changing drives (tie vs. New England, sub 2 minutes remaining and lead-changer vs. Pittsburgh, sub 3-minutes).

Factor in the two MVPs, I think he's in. Maybe not first ballot, but he's a HOFer no doubt. His impact on the game was elite, even if short, and the fact of his story only adds to legend, which will factor in.

pawe
09-12-2011, 11:32 AM
I was at the game yesterday and Cam Newton's height and size is eye popping in real life. Det boy was side stepping and jumping over everyone when the defense blitzed and dude was really agile.

Yeah he had 422 yds but the only gameplan for a team with 2 good RBs and a very mobile scrambling QB is let him beat you with his arm and if you dont get the QB you are toast. I think the defense was really taken back at how fast and elusive Newton was and the backs (Peterson vs Smith and lol Adrian Wilson at the coverage) got torched when he escaped the pressure.

All my doubts about Kolb not being able to deliver was wiped away. Fitzgerald was a non factor throughout the game because Kolb was spreading the field with the other players.

The entire league is probably pissed at the Cards for giving Newton handfuls of confidence..Im pretty sure though he wont throw 400 yds again.

- Alex Smith with the highest QBR in the NFC West despite only having 124 yds and no td vs Kolb's 300 yds, 2 tds.

- Rams, decimated by injuries. X rays were negative for Bradford. If you dont have Jackson for much of the game, of course you'll lose.

- LOL Seahawks gunning for Andrew Luck.

DUNCANownsKOBE
09-12-2011, 01:25 PM
I think they were also as unprepared for Steve Smith as they were for Newton if not more. Last year Smith was fuckin horrible and would get routinely shutdown in single coverage by any marginally good corner. In the preseason he had only one reception and his chemistry with Newton looked like it was as bad as his chemistry with Clausen. No matter who Carolina played yesterday, I think Smith woulda had a huge game as no one knew they'd be up against 2005 Steve Smith.

Fitz had a bad game but saw coverage shifted over to him and double coverage almost the entire game. When he had single coverage Kolb found him which is really all you can ask.

The division should be theirs for the taking. The Rams' defense/team for that matter still isn't there, Seattle is gonna fuckin suck, SanFran isn't gonna score two special teams touchdowns every week and is gonna suck when they're not playing the Seahawks. 9-7 probably wins the NFC West this year.

pawe
09-12-2011, 02:44 PM
And Jeremy Shockey, that mofo always play well against the Cards...scratch that, every team that has a big TE always torch the Cardinals.

Horton's blitzes yesterday was from all angles and really confused the panther's Oline. If not for Cam's athleticism, he might've been sacked 10 times. Wilson has slowed a little bit (probably form the injury) but I think Horton's blitz packages will fit him very well this season.

- I didnt watch the game between the Eagles and Rams, I just saw highlights in the big screen about them scoring on the first drive. If they were really that good specially Bradford against the cornerbacks of PHI then NFCW definitely will be a battle between them and the Cards.

pawe
09-12-2011, 02:44 PM
double.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
09-12-2011, 02:52 PM
Newton isn't going to see that type of WR separation on a weekly basis. The Cards secondary was atrocious.

That said, good start for the kid.

symple19
09-16-2011, 12:08 PM
Niners got win #1 of a total of no more than 5 this year...yay

Ted Ginn was monstrous though, never seen anything like those two runbacks so close together

pawe
09-20-2011, 10:10 AM
Week 2 update:

0/4
All NFC West teams sucked this week.

Pelicans78
09-20-2011, 11:56 AM
I'd be surprised if the Cards didn't win the division. Probably the best coach, QB, and player in the division. If Niners had a QB, they would have a chance. Should have never benched Shaun/Sean/Shawn Hill for Alex Smith.

DUNCANownsKOBE
09-20-2011, 12:47 PM
I'd take Bradford over Kolb, but St. Louis has looked terrible so far that I agree it's hard to imagine a team besides AZ winning the division. I still have my doubts given that they're blitzing 5+ guys on nearly every play and getting no pressure and the offensive line sucks, but the other 3 teams are so bad.

pawe
09-20-2011, 01:20 PM
It's still really a toss up. No one has a clear advantage yet even after the 2 weeks has passed.

STL is decimated by injuries and without VJ, all the scoring will be on Bradford's shoulders and frankly I think it's a little overwhelming for a 2nd yr QB specially when their WRs cant seem to have a grip on the ball...and Amendola's not there to catch short passes to help keep Bradford out of trouble situations.

SEA and Tarvaris Jackson were horrible against the Steelers. I still dont know what they saw in him and signed him for 2 years when it clearly shows he cant move the chains.

Niners, 14-0 lead and they let a win away at home against a hurt Romo. RB and defense are the strong points of the niners this season and they both failed this week. - They almost have the same problem with the Cardinals. Tale of two halves, both cant go for the kill, secondaries getting torched, no pass rush and still finding their identity.

Cardinals' defense is atrocious. Ray Horton is a DB coach and the biggest problem now is the coverage? What the fuck man, what the fuck???
- Scoring is not the problem as Kolb can move the chains and is getting big plays unlike the QBs last year.
- But the defense; 2nd in the NFL for penalty yards and gave up more yards than any team in franchise history in the first 2 games this season. I think either the fire zone blitz is too complicated right now or they dont have the right personnel to run it. I suggest tone it down and implement it fully next year after drafting the right players for it. And oh yeah, Adrian Wilson, as much of a stud he is, he cant cover for shit!

DUNCANownsKOBE
09-20-2011, 01:37 PM
I think it's a combination of the personnel and the scheme. Haggans and Porter are getting favorable matchups but suck so much that they can't get pressure (even when it's only a running back between them and the QB). Schofield and Acho should get more snaps. They might not be any better than Porter and Haggans, but the Cards need to know what they have at OLB so they can address it moving forward. Porter and Haggans aren't getting better anytime soon.

At ILB they have solid guys but don't have the major play making presence (Mayo, Timmons, Lewis, Harris, etc.) other successful 3-4 teams have. Stewart Bradley has barely played this year fresh off being given a huge contract which isn't a good sign at all. ILB isn't a problem but it also isn't a strength like it is on most good 3-4 defenses.

Also, I constantly hear that Rhodes puts up better numbers than Antrel Rolle did and is therefore better, and maybe the numbers part is true, but Antrel Rolle doesn't have the 2-3 major fuck ups Rhodes has every game. He was much better in coverage than Rhodes is and didn't let the offense get behind him likes Rhodes does. We don't need a free safety who can blitz and sniff out plays at the LOS, Wilson can do all that on his own, the safety playing next to him better be able to break up plays in coverage. Wilson has sucked since we basically traded Rolle for Rhodes and that's not a coincidence. When Rolle was at safety Wilson basically got to play linebacker.

JMarkJohns
09-20-2011, 01:49 PM
I've actually wondered if Wilson wouldn't be better moved to an ILB/OLB role the next few years and address a free safety.

Wilson's strength has always been from wherever the QB is and the first 20 yards down field. That's a linebackers strength. He blitzes, he tackles, he is best in shorter coverage... Line him up next to Washington and see. I think if the Cardinals still had Toler and DRC, this would be even smarter, with DRC as their free safety/centerfielder and Rhodes at SS. Without CB health/depth, harder to try out.

DUNCANownsKOBE
09-20-2011, 01:57 PM
The same can be said about Polamalu but he still succeeds at SS because they have Ryan Clark at FS who knows his role is to compliment Polamalu and not play over aggressive like Rhodes does.

A safety who can cover is undoubtedly a need for them in the next draft. If they manage to sign Marshall long term and get a healthy Toler back, I think PP7/Marshall/Jefferson/Toler is a good enough group of corners, but they need a real free safety. Not a strong safety who's more of a free safety than Adrian Wilson. Robert Lester is someone who comes to mind unless his value skyrockets this year.

OLB is a position they should either try to address in free agency or address with later picks. 3-4 OLBs taken early don't have a high rate of success.

dirk4mvp
09-20-2011, 02:10 PM
I'd be surprised if the Cards didn't win the division. Probably the best coach, QB, and player in the division. If Niners had a QB, they would have a chance. Should have never benched Shaun/Sean/Shawn Hill for Alex Smith.

I didn't know Patrick Willis played for the Cardinals I saaaiiiidddddd.

Lincoln
09-20-2011, 02:25 PM
Sup dirk

pawe
09-20-2011, 02:42 PM
At ILB they have solid guys but don't have the major play making presence (Mayo, Timmons, Lewis, Harris, etc.) other successful 3-4 teams have. Stewart Bradley has barely played this year fresh off being given a huge contract which isn't a good sign at all. ILB isn't a problem but it also isn't a strength like it is on most good 3-4 defenses.

This team tries so hard to be the Steelers of the west but they really should just be running a 4-3 without quick OLBs.

Wilson's strength has always been from wherever the QB is and the first 20 yards down field. That's a linebackers strength. He blitzes, he tackles, he is best in shorter coverage... Line him up next to Washington and see.

That's what I've always wondered about the defensive scheme of the Cardinals. Wilson plays like a linebacker, he shines when he blitzes and when he spies on the QB.
For some reason, the DC always makes him cover the TEs and zone coverage...That's the reason why opposing team's TEs always get their big numbers.

One positive Im still holding on is all other teams are giving up big yards of total offense too so Im hoping it's just from the NFL's will to become a more offense oriented league.

dirk4mvp
09-20-2011, 03:19 PM
Sup dirk

hi

JMarkJohns
09-20-2011, 03:35 PM
I've heard rumblings of Peterson as the free/cover safety. If this happens, Wilson may return to his best, or, move him to ILB and play Peterson next to Rhodes, then draft a OLB in the 1st and CB in the 2nd.

Not sure.

DUNCANownsKOBE
09-20-2011, 03:44 PM
I hope that's not the case. You don't need a stud free safety with a 3-4 defense, just one who keeps the offense in front of him and can prevent big plays. That's why Rex Ryan (someone who knows WAAAAAAAAAAY more about an attacking 3-4 defense than Whisenhunt or any Steeler dipshit he's hired) willingly dumped Kerry Rhodes like a used jizz rag after one year of coaching him.

As a matter of fact, having a free safety who knows his role, doesn't gamble and plays within the system is more important to a 3-4 defense than having a free safety who can be out of position in coverage and still make an interception.

pawe
09-20-2011, 03:56 PM
As a matter of fact, having a free safety who knows his role, doesn't gamble and plays within the system is more important to a 3-4 defense than having a free safety who can be out of position in coverage and still make an interception.

Unfortunately, that's what Kherry Rhodes is doing right now. Dude is beginning to love the big plays so when he misses, it's a TD or a big gain. Horton should learn how to instill discipline again in his team.

DUNCANownsKOBE
09-20-2011, 04:44 PM
Unfortunately, that's what Kherry Rhodes is doing right now. Dude is beginning to love the big plays so when he misses, it's a TD or a big gain. Horton should learn how to instill discipline again in his team.
The thing is, Rhodes doesn't have discipline. It's why Rex Ryan willingly got rid of him and replaced him with a less talented safety who would listen.

pawe
09-25-2011, 02:31 PM
49ers vs the Bengals is an absolute shitfest. What a lousy game.

mojorizen7
09-26-2011, 01:30 AM
My Rams suck,Cardinals suck,Seattle sucks and SF looks like shit.

At least the Rams are getting beatdown by quality opponents though....so im not ruling out playoffs yet baby! LMFAO

Rams OLine is 100% Grade A garbage at this point.

YOUR NFC WEST FLAGSHIP
http://www.model-displays.com/images/bus1/1.jpg

pawe
09-26-2011, 10:34 AM
My Rams suck,Cardinals suck,Seattle sucks and SF looks like shit.

At least the Rams are getting beatdown by quality opponents though....so im not ruling out playoffs yet baby! LMFAO

Rams OLine is 100% Grade A garbage at this point.

YOUR NFC WEST FLAGSHIP
http://www.model-displays.com/images/bus1/1.jpg

http://www.allfacebook.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/thumbs-up.png

tlongII
09-26-2011, 11:43 AM
The Seahawks screwed themselves by winning that game yesterday. They need to lose so they can draft Luck.

pawe
10-18-2011, 11:49 AM
WR Brandon Lloyd traded to the Rams for a 6th rounder.

Lloyd may be old but he's better than any Cards #2 WR right now and he might take some of the pressure off Fitz. Whizenhunt the great evaluator of talent strikes again.

Bill_Brasky
10-18-2011, 11:59 AM
This division clearly belongs to the niners now, and they dont deserve the short bus anymore.

pawe
10-18-2011, 12:16 PM
So far, the niners are very careful and avoiding mistakes and that is the only reason why they are winning.
They need this big headstart because Gore will be injured in a few weeks as usual and Alex Smith is not impressive at all.
They still have an elite D.

But I agree with you, Niners got this division this year.