PDA

View Full Version : Why Rick Perry is Headed to the White House (CNN)

Blake
08-11-2011, 09:05 AM
Editor's note: James Moore is a Texas-based Emmy award-winning former national TV news correspondent and co-author of the best-seller, "Bush's Brain."

Austin, Texas (CNN) -- As a resident of Texas for 36 years, I keep wondering why the rest of the nation pays any attention to our political and cultural absurdities and yet still chooses Texans as presidents. Our most revered historical moment, the Alamo, was arguably a mass suicide. The slaughter in San Antonio was followed by a massacre at Goliad, the fall of the Confederacy to Union forces, and later by the Houston Astros. Texas has a legacy of losing.

None of this apparently matters, though, because America is beginning the process of electing another Texan to be president. Gigantic tax breaks for the wealthy and corporations, a trumped up war and a ruined economy from the last Texan seem incapable of dissuading supporters of Rick Perry.

His Saturday speech in South Carolina will make clear that he is entering the race for the White House and will spawn the ugliest and most expensive presidential race in U.S. history, and he will win. A C and D student, who hates to govern, loves to campaign, and barely has a sixth grader's understanding of economics, will lead our nation into oblivion.

But I'm getting ahead of myself.

Politics: Rick Perry surges in poll

The big brains gathered east of the Hudson and Potomac Rivers believe that Mitt Romney is the candidate to beat. But they are unable to hear what Rick Perry is saying. The Christian prayer rally in Houston was a very loud proclamation to fundamentalists and Teavangelicals, which said, "I am not a Mormon." The far right and Christian fundamentalists have an inordinate amount of influence in the GOP primary process and, regardless of messages of inclusion, very few of them will vote for a Mormon.

"We think a them Mormons as bein' in kind of a cult," one of the Houston rally attendees told me. "I couldn't vote for one a them when we got a real Christian like Governor Perry runnin'."

Perry, of course, can't come right out and print bumper stickers that say, "Rick Perry -- 2012 -- Not a Mormon." But he doesn't have to. He's wearing his faith like a power tie while Romney stays quiet as a tabernacle mouse on the topic of religion. Romney has business experience and intellect that are not on Perry's resume' but he is from "Massatoositts," (Webster's Texas Edition, see also "Massachusetts"), and Texans love to kick their political boots into New Englanders' squishy parts. Perry is about to remind the tea partiers and fundamentalists that Romney created a state health care plan, (the horror, affordable health care for everyone), believes global warming is real, and has a troubling history for conservatives on the matters of abortion and gay marriage.

So much for Mitt.

......more..

http://www.cnn.com/2011/OPINION/08/11/moore.perry.candidate/index.html?npt=NP1

god no please

coyotes_geek
08-11-2011, 09:10 AM
Kudos to the author for a very well placed Astros jab.

coyotes_geek
08-11-2011, 09:14 AM
Only part of that article I disagree with (for better or worse) is that Perry would pick Palin as his running mate. Too polarizing and doesn't bring him any new voters that he wasn't going to get anyways.

CosmicCowboy
08-11-2011, 09:14 AM
Sounds like that faggot should move back to wherever he came from.

clambake
08-11-2011, 10:09 AM
Sounds like that faggot should move back to wherever he came from.

i guess this means a vote for perry.

Agloco
08-11-2011, 10:11 AM
Only part of that article I disagree with (for better or worse) is that Perry would pick Palin as his running mate. Too polarizing and doesn't bring him any new voters that he wasn't going to get anyways.

Yeah I don't see that either. Palin introduces too many variables into the equation. With Perry, you basically know what you've got. He needs to add a steady influence that isn't a controversial figure.

boutons_deux
08-11-2011, 10:14 AM
Anybody who's been inside "dubya's brain" is terminally contaminated with ignorance and stupidity.

A Repug won't win, Barry will lose because his base is so disappointed in his weakness of attempted bipartisanhip with anarchic, sadisticcrazies, and full continuation of Repug/neo-con empire building and maintenance, while offering to cut SS, medicare, medicaid, safety net. Or maybe UCA will simply outspend Barry.

Or Barry will win because any of the Repugs are so extreme that the Repug candidate will be voted against, not Barry voted for.

DUNCANownsKOBE
08-11-2011, 10:15 AM
"We think a them Mormons as bein' in kind of a cult," one of the Houston rally attendees told me. "I couldn't vote for one a them when we got a real Christian like Governor Perry runnin'."
:lmao:lmao:lmao

America, FUCK YEAH!

coyotes_geek
08-11-2011, 10:16 AM
Yeah I don't see that either. Palin introduces too many variables into the equation. With Perry, you basically know what you've got. He needs to add a steady influence that isn't a controversial figure.

I'm sure some people will suggest that Romney will be who Perry picks, but I don't see that either. Romney is who Perry has to go through to get the nomination and Perry fights dirty. After the Perry campaign gets through with him Romney won't have anything to do with the guy.

Blake
08-11-2011, 10:17 AM
:lmao:lmao:lmao

America, FUCK YEAH!

best part of the piece.

:lol

Ignignokt
08-11-2011, 10:19 AM
I don't give a shit.

Right now is not the time for having a cosmopolitan dumbass too afraid to release his college transcripts.

Rick Perry, is a fake anyway. He used to work for AL Gore, he's just a politician and a good one. At best, Warren G at worst LBJ.

LBJ > Obama.

Ignignokt
08-11-2011, 10:19 AM
nm.

LBJ = OBAMA

CosmicCowboy
08-11-2011, 10:20 AM

Nope, just a resounding fuck you to the Texas smack.

But, yeah, if my choice ends up being Perry or Obama I will damn sure vote for Perry.

Blake
08-11-2011, 10:22 AM
I'm sure some people will suggest that Romney will be who Perry picks, but I don't see that either. Romney is who Perry has to go through to get the nomination and Perry fights dirty. After the Perry campaign gets through with him Romney won't have anything to do with the guy.

So that leaves Bachmann or Cain......or does Perry go off the map?

what's your guess?

DUNCANownsKOBE
08-11-2011, 10:22 AM
Whoever the Republican is (particularly if it's Perry) should see if Bobby Jindal would be interested as the running mate. He's extremely articulate, has some views that are moderate, and would make it so less people viewed the Republican party as a bunch of racist white people.

My question is why Perry wants to be President. I know he thinks Texas should secede from the Union, why does he want to be president of said union? When the economy sucks with him as president, is he gonna suggest the union secede from itself?

Viva Las Espuelas
08-11-2011, 10:24 AM
Well, both did escalate a war.

Blake

this here is texus, faggit. if yew dont like muh state yew can git the fuck out.

TeyshaBlue

But, yeah, if my choice ends up being Perry or Obama I will damn sure vote for Perry.

Why? Obama's a better Republican than Perry.:lol

DUNCANownsKOBE
nm.

LBJ = OBAMA
The only reason LBJ = Obama is because he sent thousands to die in Vietnam. Outside of the Vietnam war, LBJ > Obama.

Viva Las Espuelas
Sorry. Kinetic military actions.

TeyshaBlue
08-11-2011, 10:25 AM

what's your guess?

I like DOK's take....Jindal might be a decent choice. One thing Perry does extremely well, is campaign and get elected. For that reason alone, Palin has no place at his table.

Blake
08-11-2011, 10:26 AM
My question is why Perry wants to be President. I know he thinks Texas should secede from the Union, why does he want to be president of said union? When the economy sucks with him as president, is he gonna suggest the union secede from itself?

that's just Perry being Perry.

DUNCANownsKOBE
08-11-2011, 10:26 AM

:lol you would be one of those Texans who gets butthurt at all Texas smack

Viva Las Espuelas
08-11-2011, 10:27 AM
The only reason LBJ = Obama is because he sent thousands to die in Vietnam. Outside of the Vietnam war, LBJ > Obama.

:lmao

ElNono
08-11-2011, 10:28 AM
No way he picks Palin... especially if, as people claim here, he's a savvy politician...

Viva Las Espuelas
08-11-2011, 10:34 AM
What if he were to pick Ron Paul???

TeyshaBlue
08-11-2011, 10:39 AM

I think Ron has acquired the taint of the quasi-outer circle extremist from his economic views. I dont see Perry making that choice either, tbh.

DarrinS
08-11-2011, 10:39 AM
I would take Rain Man and the Queen of Rage as a ticket if they could create some damn jobs.

coyotes_geek
08-11-2011, 10:46 AM

what's your guess?

Definitely not Bachmann, for the same reasons he won't pick Paliln. I think he's going to go off map. Probably even to the point of picking someone out of the corporate world instead of the political one. Obviously not someone from the financial sector though.

Even though Perry can't pick him because he's also from Texas, but someone like Ed Whitacre would be ideal for Perry IMO. Smart, well spoken, not a polarizing figure, not a politician, solid business background.

ElNono
08-11-2011, 10:49 AM

He'll definitely get the Galileo vote :lol

coyotes_geek
08-11-2011, 10:49 AM

Can't pick a Texan. Pres & VP have to be from different states.

baseline bum
08-11-2011, 10:53 AM
best part of the piece.

:lol

No way... it's the introduction of the word Teavangelical to our lexicon. :lol

Blake
08-11-2011, 10:53 AM
Definitely not Bachmann, for the same reasons he won't pick Paliln. I think he's going to go off map. Probably even to the point of picking someone out of the corporate world instead of the political one. Obviously not someone from the financial sector though.

Perry/Trump 2012

Not afraid to show personal documents

coyotes_geek
08-11-2011, 10:54 AM

That was pretty good. :lol

Blake
08-11-2011, 10:54 AM

I figured he got that from somewhere else.

It's genius. :lol

DUNCANownsKOBE
08-11-2011, 10:55 AM
In 2008, McCain needed not only to hit a home run but also pick someone who'd energize the religious right voters. On top of Bush making it impossible for the Republicans, McCain winning the primary in a fluke scenario where Huckabee and Romney split the religious vote only made it worse because he wasn't enough of a reason for the religious right to show up and vote. In that scenario, a boom or bust polarizing figure like Palin made sense. Obama probably woulda won by more if McCain picked Lieberman like he wanted to.

This time around, it's the Republicans' election to lose, and the racist bible thumpers hate Obama so much now they'll get to the polls to vote for whoever is running against him. There's absolutely no reason for whoever the Republican candidate is to pick a candidate who appeals to the religious right or is a polarizing figure like Palin.

coyotes_geek
08-11-2011, 10:56 AM
Perry/Trump 2012

Not afraid to show personal documents

There is a certain synergy to pairing up the best hair in the world and the worst on a single presidential ticket.

baseline bum
08-11-2011, 10:57 AM
Whoever the Republican is (particularly if it's Perry) should see if Bobby Jindal would be interested as the running mate. He's extremely articulate, has some views that are moderate, and would make it so less people viewed the Republican party as a bunch of racist white people.

Jindal has no chance with corny Mr Rogers speeches like this, lol

mmNM0oj79t8

ElNono
08-11-2011, 10:58 AM
tbh, McCain would be a better candidate than any of the ones floating around right now, IMO. He had to carry dubya's weight in the last election, which obviously was too much burden. That's not necessarily HIS fault though.

Viva Las Espuelas
08-11-2011, 11:00 AM

You serious?

ElNono
The problem for McCain is that he lost against Barry once, so that wouldn't work in this cycle, IMO. But I wouldn't be surprised to see him run again at some point in the future, especially with the GOP political landscape looking like it does.

ElNono

This is false.

http://www.snopes.com/history/american/vicepresident.asp

Blake
08-11-2011, 11:01 AM
There is a certain synergy to pairing up the best hair in the world and the worst on a single presidential ticket.

the entertainment value of that would be so fucking good.

CubanMustGo
08-11-2011, 11:02 AM
You serious?

While you certainly could pick a VP from the same state as the Presidential candidate, contemporary wisdom dictates that you piss off too many voters from other parts of the country when doing so.

ElNono
08-11-2011, 11:02 AM
If we're vying for entertainment, I would pay to see a Palin/Bachman ticket, tbh

coyotes_geek
08-11-2011, 11:03 AM
This is false.

I stand corrected.

coyotes_geek
08-11-2011, 11:04 AM
You serious?

I was both serious and incorrect.

Bartleby
08-11-2011, 11:13 AM
someone like Ed Whitacre would be ideal for Perry IMO. Smart, well spoken, not a polarizing figure, not a politician, solid business background.

Highly possible, but I could also see him going with Rubio, who has a short voting record and is widely considered a rising star within the GOP. Plus, Florida would be a lock.

Spurminator
08-11-2011, 11:15 AM
But I wouldn't be surprised to see him run again at some point in the future, especially with the GOP political landscape looking like it does.

McCain was pretty old in 2008. I can't imagine him running when he's 8 years older. I think his window has passed. It's too bad he didn't have a better shot in 2000 when he was closer to his prime and was less of a bitter old curmudgeon.

Blake
08-11-2011, 11:15 AM
If we're vying for entertainment, I would pay to see a Palin/Bachman ticket, tbh

so many flavors to choose from, I don't know which is my favorite potential combo.

coyotes_geek
08-11-2011, 11:17 AM
Highly possible, but I could also see him going with Rubio, who has a short voting record and is widely considered a rising star within the GOP. Plus, Florida would be a lock.

Excellent point. Someone who is popular in Florida or Ohio will undoubtedly get extra consideration.

RickPerry
08-11-2011, 11:20 AM
I've already got my swagger down and we'll be havin' honkey tonk BBQ's at the White House in no time.

TheProfessor
08-11-2011, 11:20 AM
I think Rubio's the obvious choice, assuming he'd want to run. Rising star, a swing state Senator, and he courts a demographic Republicans have difficulty with right now.

boutons_deux
08-11-2011, 11:22 AM
Repugs have difficulties with Cubans? Repugs are the ones blocking any rapprochement with Cuba. Repugs own the Cuban vote.

baseline bum
08-11-2011, 11:22 AM
I forgot about Rubio. Cocksucking Goodhair could actually win with him as a running mate.

baseline bum
08-11-2011, 11:25 AM
Not so sure I want to go from shitty president who can't get anything passed to shitty president who can get everything passed though.

TheProfessor
08-11-2011, 11:32 AM
Repugs have difficulties with Cubans? Repugs are the ones blocking any rapprochement with Cuba. Repugs own the Cuban vote.
:lol It's hard to tell when you're actually serious. You know what I meant.

101A
08-11-2011, 11:35 AM
Never underestimate the ability of the party out of the White House to fail to beat a sitting president by nominating extremely weak candidates.

See: McGovern, Mondale, Dukakis (I know Bush 1 was the VP, but in spirit this was "4 more years", Dole and Kerry.

I mean, crap, that is a sorry lot is it not?

If the Republicans nominate ANY of the current candidates*, Obama will win.

* I actually like Ron Paul, but the climate will have to deteriorate further than I can imagine it will for the general public to treat him as anything more than a sideshow.

elbamba
08-11-2011, 11:41 AM
This is false.

Didn't read the link but I believe Jefferson and Madison were the first president and VP from the same state.

baseline bum
08-11-2011, 11:46 AM
Never underestimate the ability of the party out of the White House to fail to beat a sitting president by nominating extremely weak candidates.

See: McGovern, Mondale, Dukakis (I know Bush 1 was the VP, but in spirit this was "4 more years", Dole and Kerry.

* I actually like Ron Paul, but the climate will have to deteriorate further than I can imagine it will for the general public to treat him as anything more than a sideshow.

Sometimes that lousy candidate can still win though, like 1980.

JohnnyMarzetti
08-11-2011, 11:47 AM
I forgot about Rubio. Cocksucking Goodhair could actually win with him as a running mate.

Rubio is just a Quayle in hispanic skin.

ElNono
08-11-2011, 11:48 AM
I tell you what though... if Perry does announce his candidacy, I'm thinking Christie might follow...

I think the only reason Christie is not going to it right now is that he's not confident any of the current GOP candidates can beat Obama, so he can bid his time as NJ governor until Barry finishes self-destructing and he can then raise as the consensus GOP candidate in 2016. But if a legitimate candidate like Perry shows up, and potentially put that long term strategy in jeopardy, I'm not sure he won't give it a shot.

What I do know is that it's very unlikely he would take a VP spot.

coyotes_geek
08-11-2011, 11:50 AM

It's a fair point, but how many of those candidates were running when unemployment was north of 9%?

JohnnyMarzetti
08-11-2011, 11:52 AM
I tell you what though... if Perry does announce his candidacy, I'm thinking Christie might follow...

I think the only reason Christie is not going to it right now is that he's not confident any of the current GOP candidates can beat Obama, so he can bid his time as NJ governor until Barry finishes self-destructing and he can then raise as the consensus GOP candidate in 2016. But if a legitimate candidate like Perry shows up, and potentially put that long term strategy in jeopardy, I'm not sure he won't give it a shot.

What I do know is that it's very unlikely he would take a VP spot.

Christie blew his chances a few weeks ago when he defended his appointing of a Muslim judge and defended his right to do so and admitted people were being held without reason. He can't back out of that.

ElNono
08-11-2011, 11:54 AM
Christie blew his chances a few weeks ago when he defended his appointing of a Muslim judge and defended his right to do so and admitted people were being held without reason. He can't back out of that.

I wouldn't discount him. Especially since it's very likely he won't get another term in NJ.

JohnnyMarzetti
08-11-2011, 12:10 PM
I wouldn't discount him. Especially since it's very likely he won't get another term in NJ.

The Tea Party won't accept Christie and his Muslim sympathy and his supporting the fact that citizens rights were violated. Props for Christie for standing his ground though but his presidential hopes under the current republican stances are gone.

JohnnyMarzetti
08-11-2011, 12:12 PM
Perry is playing the Palin game and pulling out his true conservative cards. Too bad he is not playing with a full deck though.

CosmicCowboy
08-11-2011, 01:48 PM
http://swampland.time.com/2011/08/11/qa-rick-perry-is-ready-to-run/

Th'Pusher
08-11-2011, 03:04 PM
Can’t you just let us get on down the road?

CosmicCowboy
08-11-2011, 03:22 PM
I'm not a Perry supporter but I think you guys are seriously underestimating him. He will be a formidable challenger for the nomination, and he wouldn't have jumped in if he didn't have substantial financial backing already lined up.

DMX7
08-11-2011, 03:28 PM
Rick is going to embarrass the state of Texas much worse than George W., and that's saying something.

CosmicCowboy
08-11-2011, 03:45 PM
Obama has lowered the bar even further.

JohnnyMarzetti
08-11-2011, 04:15 PM
Obama has lowered the bar even further.

:lol Dumbya has the record on that.

djohn2oo8
08-11-2011, 04:32 PM
Like DoK said, the racist bible thumpers hate Obama so much that they will fully get out to vote for whoever they nominate. Question is how many will get out to vote against another Texan in the WH?

ChumpDumper
08-11-2011, 04:36 PM
Obama has lowered the bar even further.Yes, Obama has lowered the bar on presidents from Texas.

ManuBalboa
08-11-2011, 06:06 PM
Obama would lose to a rock at this point.

Trainwreck2100
08-11-2011, 06:12 PM
YYYYYEEEEEESSSSSSS!!!!!!!
Now we get a new governor

Trainwreck2100
08-11-2011, 06:12 PM
in 4 years or 5 years I don't really remember.

(i acknowledge the luet. gov. takes his place but he'll prob blow just as hard)

DMX7
08-11-2011, 06:14 PM

Not according to the polls.

YYYYYEEEEEESSSSSSS!!!!!!!
Now we get a new governor

Well, it wouldn't be a total loss then.

I would have no problem with Bill Ratliff. That's as good as it's going to get for a state like this, especially considering the bible thumping only seems to be growing.

4>0rings
08-11-2011, 06:17 PM
2012 IS the end of the world.

Slick Perry or Islamabama?

http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-snc4/50335_124721064983_2252_n.jpg

Nbadan
08-11-2011, 06:44 PM
I posted almost a year ago that Perry would run and I also posted who his running mate would be....anyone remember?

Trainwreck2100
08-11-2011, 06:57 PM
no

Blake
08-11-2011, 06:58 PM
I posted almost a year ago that Perry would run and I also posted who his running mate would be....anyone remember?

link?

DJ Mbenga
08-11-2011, 07:16 PM
http://images.memegenerator.net/instances/500x/9339639.jpg

Wild Cobra
08-11-2011, 08:19 PM
You mean my Pet Rock can win?

Thompson
08-11-2011, 08:48 PM
I've only seen him speak once, but I was pretty impressed with Marco Rubio. He might help Perry with Florida and with Hispanics in general. Downside is he's relatively young and inexperienced, but he will be the VP (better than a young and inexperienced Presidential candidate - like Obama).

DJ Mbenga
08-11-2011, 10:37 PM
I've only seen him speak once, but I was pretty impressed with Marco Rubio. He might help Perry with Florida and with Hispanics in general. Downside is he's relatively young and inexperienced, but he will be the VP (better than a young and inexperienced Presidential candidate - like Obama).

jeb bush can do that. thats if he is willing to offer his endorsement. he's gearing up for 2016 so i dont know if he is gonna be out in the 2012 election

JoeChalupa
08-12-2011, 09:17 AM
I do think it will be tough for Obama but I wouldn't count him out yet. Not if the GOP nominates a far right candidate. Bachmann truly has no chance of getting the nomination but Perry is a different story. I still see Romney winning this as he is the most moderate of them all I'd say. But he did take a pledge last night with the others that he would veto a 10-1 deficit cutting plan. So he is now in the "lock box" against raising revenues.

boutons_deux
08-12-2011, 09:37 AM
"Perry is a different story"

Perry's problem with non-dominionists/non-evangelicals/non-"Christian"-supremacists is that he panders to all of them much more seriously than the dubya group suckered them all.

Same with Bachmann.

http://www.politicususa.com/en/rachel-maddow-outs-msms-downplay-of-rick-perrys-extremist-supporters?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+politicususa%2FfJAl+%28Politi cus+USA+%29

http://www.politicususa.com/en/bachmann-perry-true-believer?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+politicususa%2FfJAl+%28Politi cus+USA+%29

he has problems with getting wagged by the tea bagger tail:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/11/rick-perry-immigration-tom-tancredo_n_924831.html

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2011/08/11/293504/tancredo-vs-perry/

boutons_deux
08-12-2011, 10:00 AM
more than one poll of Texans has shown this:

Texas lukewarm on Perry bid

http://publicpolicypolling.blogspot.com/2011/06/texas-lukewarm-on-perry-bid.html