PDA

View Full Version : Seeing Stern at the Game

spurs_fan_in_exile
06-13-2005, 08:33 AM
Something I saw during the broadcast that I thought was funny: During a timeout the started showing some faces in the crowd. First they showed Bill Russell, who seemed to be enjoying himself. Then they got a shot of David Robinson, smiling his usual gigantic grin, and then they flash to David Stern, who looked like he was about to vomit. I bet he's wishing he had bothered to actually use some of those conspiracy theories to rig a Phoenix-Miami finals that I'm sure some of us Spurs and Pistons fans were floating around after every playoff loss. Come on Dave, at least pretend to enjoy!

IX_Equilibrium
06-13-2005, 08:36 AM
Yeah, he does probably wish it'd be Miami and Phoenix.

But Stern does have the lockout issues he is dealing with now.

nkdlunch
06-13-2005, 09:19 AM
Most sour grape faces last night on TV besides all Pistons, Stern, SAS and Greg Anthony :lol

TOP-CHERRY
06-13-2005, 09:26 AM

Yup. And didn't he comment before the game on how he doesn't care what the ratings are? That this is good basketball? (I know, BS... But at least he's trying)

sa_butta
06-13-2005, 09:29 AM
I cant wait to see the fake smiles and bullshit things
he has to say if and when he hands the Spurs the trophy
again. Heres to you Commish. :flipoff

TOP-CHERRY
06-13-2005, 09:31 AM
^ He'll call them the "NBA champins" again. :lol

Vashner
06-13-2005, 10:23 AM
I think he likes it here. If anything he would want a closer game instead of Detroit looking embarassing. I like the guy.

E20
06-13-2005, 11:19 AM
I think he was mad about the CBA and the player unions, he sounded increidbly grim at the press conference.

GhostofAlfrederickHughes
06-13-2005, 11:58 AM
Contrary to popular opinion, Stern does not hate the Spurs. They are the model NBA franchise---stable ownership, no thugs on the team, lots of foreign players to help with international marketing, etc. And trust me, he doesn't stay up nights worrying about ratings. You think the ratings weren't high enough during the first 3 rounds of the playoffs to offset whatever $$$ loss the league might have if viewers tune out now? That's like saying George Lucas worries about the profits from the last Star Wars film....

He's just worried that if there's a lockout, all the best laid plans of the league go poof overnight.

SpursWoman
06-13-2005, 12:43 PM
Contrary to popular opinion, Stern does not hate the Spurs. They are the model NBA franchise---stable ownership, no thugs on the team, lots of foreign players to help with international marketing, etc. And trust me, he doesn't stay up nights worrying about ratings. You think the ratings weren't high enough during the first 3 rounds of the playoffs to offset whatever $$$ loss the league might have if viewers tune out now? That's like saying George Lucas worries about the profits from the last Star Wars film....

He's just worried that if there's a lockout, all the best laid plans of the league go poof overnight.

I don't think he dislikes the Spurs, for the exact reasons stated above....I just think he wishes they were in a bigger market for $$ purposes, and who wouldn't? They aren't a public relations nightmare...or suffer through all of the legal problems that have given the NBA somewhat of a bad name.

Maybe the jalapenos he had with his dinner weren't settling very well. :fro

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-13-2005, 12:48 PM
Stern doesn't have to worry about the ratings, they've already got a long-term TV contract locked in with ABC/ESPN.

Now, go talk to the folks at Disney about the ratings, they may be worrying a little. :lol

SpursWoman
06-13-2005, 12:52 PM
You'd think the Spurs would be good for Disney, though... :lol

picnroll
06-13-2005, 12:53 PM
International viewership is more than making up for the slight decline in US ratings. The Spurs image and diversity Stern probably figures projects internationally better than the self indulgent Laker mess last year. I don't think he's crying to hard about the finals matchup other than the one sidedness to date.

ambchang
06-13-2005, 01:19 PM
Yeah, he does probably wish it'd be Miami and Phoenix.

Speaking of which, how do you think a Phoenix Miami series is going to turn out? I will have to go with Phoenix in 6. Nobody can guard Shaq, but then Shaq can't guard anybody. It will be a 3pt shootout.

Shelly
06-13-2005, 03:10 PM
Maybe the jalapenos he had with his dinner weren't settling very well. :fro

I wonder if they came with his $10 SBC nachos?