PDA

View Full Version : Stock investors

Nathan89
08-13-2011, 10:33 PM
Does anyone on here invest in stocks on a etrade or another site similar to it. If so what site? Do like that site or do you think there is a better one? Feel free to talk about anything stock related. Strategies or other sites you use to get info on a stock your interested in. I'm all ears because I planning on making some investments soon.

Drachen
08-13-2011, 11:00 PM
I am with sharebuilder now (4 dollar automatic investing) it is good for "set it and forget it."

I will probably end up with tradeking though. Much better pricing for options, and real time trades than any of the others (etrade, think or swim, etc.)

DMC
08-14-2011, 12:42 AM
Buy gold

symple19
08-14-2011, 01:06 AM
Buy gold

if you were smart you were buying that shit in 08'

But, I don't expect good advice out of an old man whose depends are wrapped too tight

DMC
08-14-2011, 09:16 AM
Gold hasn't topped and won't as long as this financial situation is unstable.

900 was high, they should have said that when it was 400.

I know some experts and they believe gold will go above 2K, some say as high as 5K.

It's not a small investment game however. It's for people to safe haven their assets until the storm blows over. With the Nasdaq doing crazy things, investment is just Vegas style gambling.

I would have at least half my my assets in gold.

DMC
08-14-2011, 09:21 AM
if you were smart you were buying that shit in 08'

But, I don't expect good advice out of an old man whose depends are wrapped too tight

I made a shit ton of money in 08 in the stock market, and was able to get into GE (dividends) for very little around that time.

If you are feeling spry, you can play Forex.

Cant_Be_Faded
08-14-2011, 11:04 AM
sharebuilder like Drachen said is good for auto investing 4 bucks a pop, but real time trades are 10 dollars

Scottrade is pretty solid too they provide you with loads of research data, 7 dollar trades is pretty cheap.

cantthinkofanything
08-14-2011, 12:24 PM
gold is already so high by now...

People were saying that when it was $1000. That kind of thinking will keep you on sidelines foreever or until you buy in with the masses at the top.

TDMVPDPOY
08-14-2011, 12:35 PM
even if you bought gold last month for around 1500, now its 1700+...still fkn late...

i know my aunt bought gold last 2yrs, when she had 200k lying around doing shit all, while my mom had 2ook she wanted to put it in the bank at 10% at the time, now vietnam is offering rates at 14 to 25% on deposits, the more money you have the more leverage you have when discussing rates...then again i dont trust commies and state owned banks at those types of rates, when you think about it if your changin back ur currency or the value of that currency whether its purchasing power, you lose out if CPI increase and price inflation....

jman3000
08-14-2011, 12:47 PM
I'm more of a trader than an investor... one of the reason I don't really like gold. It takes a bit more of an effort to go liquid than with stocks.

I'm with Scottrade right now and love it. It's a couple dollars more than TradeKing (which my buddy uses), but the UI and ease of use are well worth it. A couple dollars more on a trade involving several thousand dollars is really no big deal.

If you're just getting started try to start low and just see how you do. No sense in dropping a shit ton in as a novice investor and seeing how things go. Especially in this volatile market. I'd say 3 thousand is a nice place to start out. Maybe 1 thousand each in stocks you're interested in.

If you're feeling brave you can try AGQ and ZSL. Both are silver ETF's and trade wildly. One's long and the other is short.

Nathan89
08-14-2011, 01:18 PM
I'm more of a trader than an investor... one of the reason I don't really like gold. It takes a bit more of an effort to go liquid than with stocks.

I'm with Scottrade right now and love it. It's a couple dollars more than TradeKing (which my buddy uses), but the UI and ease of use are well worth it. A couple dollars more on a trade involving several thousand dollars is really no big deal.

If you're just getting started try to start low and just see how you do. No sense in dropping a shit ton in as a novice investor and seeing how things go. Especially in this volatile market. I'd say 3 thousand is a nice place to start out. Maybe 1 thousand each in stocks you're interested in.

If you're feeling brave you can try AGQ and ZSL. Both are silver ETF's and trade wildly. One's long and the other is short.

This is pretty much what I'm planning on doing. I just want to put a few thousand on and learn how to do things. I don't plan on investing in gold because I'm only going to be investing a few thousand. That would be boring and I wouldn't learn as much in the process.

Wild Cobra
08-14-2011, 02:08 PM
I just wonder...

When the Gold bubble bursts, are all the gold investors going to insist on a bailout?

jman3000
08-14-2011, 02:17 PM
This is pretty much what I'm planning on doing. I just want to put a few thousand on and learn how to do things. I don't plan on investing in gold because I'm only going to be investing a few thousand. That would be boring and I wouldn't learn as much in the process.

Well be prepared to be bored quite a bit. It's really only "exciting if you're a day trader and you need at least 25000 in to be one of those. As it stands you're allowed 3 intraday trades a week I think. I'm not sure if that number changes from site to site because I think it's a law, but I'm not 100% sure.

TDMVPDPOY
08-14-2011, 02:35 PM
DIVERSE portfolio my friend....

imo cant go wrong with banks, miners, pharmaceuticals/biotech....

jman3000
08-14-2011, 03:10 PM
DIVERSE portfolio my friend....

imo cant go wrong with banks, miners, pharmaceuticals/biotech....

you'd be wrong guy.

Cant_Be_Faded
08-14-2011, 03:20 PM
i was looking to pick up some blue chips with good dividends that got beaten down, but the market didn't go down as far as I had in mind.

jman3000
08-14-2011, 05:25 PM
i was looking to pick up some blue chips with good dividends that got beaten down, but the market didn't go down as far as I had in mind.

Really not sure if you're serious, but dividends are only worth it if you have BIG money invested. Like over 100,000. I owned Valero for a while and received a dividend and it was a teeny tiny amount.

Cant_Be_Faded
08-14-2011, 07:41 PM
Really not sure if you're serious, but dividends are only worth it if you have BIG money invested. Like over 100,000. I owned Valero for a while and received a dividend and it was a teeny tiny amount.

Very serious. Purchasing power can be better maintained by getting steady dividends, which have been paying out hand over fist relative to savings accounts. I'm not trying to get rich by trading stocks, but I don't mind the risk of owning a blue chip that pays a solid dividend over the long term.

I was getting like 10x more from phillip morris than a savings account, and you can't really go too wrong with a big name stock like that that pays dividends. Only if someone is an idiot and wants to cash out when they're in the red....which is very unlikely if you wait to buy low.

I'm not going to pretend I'm smart or savvy enough to trade left and right and make money, especially in this market. I'll just be asking to get my ass handed to me.

jman3000
08-14-2011, 08:14 PM
True enough. I have 5 dollars in my savings account. That's pretty much how useless I see that dividend paying off. The majority of my savings are strewn across a money market, 2 cd's, my stocks, and my 401k.

DMC
08-22-2011, 11:49 PM
gold is already so high by now, should have said that when it was at like 900

1900 now.

SnakeBoy
08-23-2011, 02:03 AM
gold is already so high by now, should have said that when it was at like 900

Even conservative forecasts put gold @ $2500. I thought you said you were bright.

To the op, I've had an etrade account for 8-9 years. Never had any problems with them. I've never checked out any others. As far as strategies, don't play individual stocks with money you can't afford to lose would be my suggestion. Check out SPDR Sector funds if your looking for long term investments...http://www.sectorspdr.com/

Nathan89
09-15-2011, 03:57 PM
TBH, I had some car trouble so I didn't put any money on any site. Eventually I will...

Anyways just wanted to give the heads ups on a great investment IMHO.

symbol- YOKU

mouse
09-16-2011, 06:41 AM
I notice due to the drought many ranchers are selling all they're cattle. I would invest in Beef, a shortage is coming.

Also many people rely on Corn, due to the drought those prices should rise also.

Koolaid_Man
09-16-2011, 07:06 AM
Does anyone on here invest in stocks on a etrade or another site similar to it. If so what site? Do like that site or do you think there is a better one? Feel free to talk about anything stock related. Strategies or other sites you use to get info on a stock your interested in. I'm all ears because I planning on making some investments soon.

I already told your lame asses...I'm the only one on this site you can invest in...

http://www.google.com/finance?client=ob&q=NASDAQ:KOOL