PDA

View Full Version : If you were an NBA player, what is the minimum salary you would accept?

Spurs and Mavs fan
08-15-2011, 01:09 PM
Let's say that you're an NBA player of Chris Paul or Dwight Howard quality level - a pro in every sense.

What is the lowest salary you would be willing to accept?

The lower your salary, the more cap room your team has with which to sign other quality players around you. The team will be able to surround you with more talent with which to potentially win NBA championships.

(Assume, for argument's sake, that your team has a good owner or GM who makes good decisions with players, signings, and draft picks.)

So, how much would you be willing to sacrifice for the team's sake?

Salary:

1. League minimum ($473,604 a year)

2. Less than $3 million a year

3. Less than $8 million a year

4. Less than $15 million a year

5. I would only accept a salary of $15 million a year or higher.

cantthinkofanything
08-15-2011, 01:19 PM
I think you need to be a little clearer on the scenario. Are we to assume that we have been a high school / collegiate start in the past and have some expectation of what we should earn?

Or is the the minimum one would take to join the NBA and quit their current job?

kskonn
08-15-2011, 02:25 PM
I think you need to be a little clearer on the scenario. Are we to assume that we have been a high school / collegiate start in the past and have some expectation of what we should earn?

Or is the the minimum one would take to join the NBA and quit their current job?

He said to assume that you are of the pro level of Chris Paul, Dwight howard so top of the game player.

kskonn
08-15-2011, 02:25 PM

chazley
08-15-2011, 02:27 PM
If I'm a player worth the maximum, I'm only accepting the max salary I can get.

Chomag
08-15-2011, 02:38 PM
Case by Case to me so it's hard to really say. Depending on the team, if the owners were serious about making the team a contender and were a smaller market I would take a fair amount less so that they could use some of the money to entice some more upper talent. I would definitely ask for around the market value though.

elbamba
08-15-2011, 02:38 PM
As a young player I would go for us much as I can get. It would be pretty easy to play for the Clippers, Bucks, Hornets and may other lousy teams making millions of dollars.

As an older player in my late 20's early 30's, I would go for less money if I thought it could bring me more success on the court. I could not fault anyone taking the max they can get for as long as they can get.

I certainly don't ask for a reduction in salary, I would not expect anyone else to either.

xellos88330
08-15-2011, 04:10 PM
I would take league minimum. Even if I were a superstar, I would take league minimum. I just want to win.

Phenomanul
08-15-2011, 04:43 PM
I would take league minimum. Even if I were a superstar, I would take league minimum. I just want to win.

Imagine if LeBron and Wade had taken smaller contracts [obviously not the absolute minimum but say MLE tier salaries (4-6 $MM/yr)]... it's not like they couldn't be "well off" financially with that type of salary and the money they bank off of their endorsements... especially if they could win multiple championships (because endorsers love "winners")...

Obviously, nothing is a given and this would be way too risky... Still...

Sec24Row7
08-15-2011, 05:04 PM
If I'm one of those guys, in a big market, and have a legit chance to win titles if I downgrade... I might take less than the max to get more help... because I would make more money in the long run.

If I'm in a small market and my salary is pretty much my only income... I have a hard time going less than the max... unless there is some issue like state income tax etc...

This is why David and Tim doing what they did for the Spurs was so special.

Mark in Austin
08-15-2011, 06:24 PM
Assuming the salary cap structure from last season, I would say that it depends on the team. If I'm on the Knicks or Lakers they're not getting a discount. Because of their local TV deals those teams are making tens of millions in profit every year even when they pay 30 million in luxury tax payments.

If I'm on the Spurs than sure, I'd give them a pretty sizeable discount, especially if it's not my first contract. Probably wouldn't ask for more than 8M to 10M depending on specifics.

baseline bum
08-15-2011, 07:13 PM
Max

mavsfan1000
08-15-2011, 07:46 PM
I would take less to be on a great team.

Libri
08-15-2011, 09:15 PM
bout tree fiddy

Ice009
08-15-2011, 09:52 PM
If I'm one of those guys then the minimum I would take is 15 million because that is the market price for someone of my skills, but personally I always want to win over taking max money, so if I thought I had a superior chance to win by taking a pay cut to play with better players, then I would take a pay cut.

As far as how much of a pay cut I would take, I couldn't tell you as each team and situation is different, and that would have to be worked out on a per case basis.

Amarelooms
08-15-2011, 11:57 PM
10 million would be fine...would allow team to have plenty of options

:elephant

Fabbs
08-16-2011, 12:31 AM
Given that i would make 10-20+ times my salary in endorsements if on a championship team, i would take 4 mil if i knew the team would be stacked with other stars to make a real title a near certainly.

The Heat almost pulled it off but they only came down a micro notch salarywise so were not able to add enough to ensure Finals win. Cut of their premature celebrating and they may have won.

DeadlyDynasty
08-16-2011, 01:07 AM

Yeah...I seriously doubt that.

DeadlyDynasty
08-16-2011, 01:08 AM
Max

/thread.

Get paid.

Bruno
08-16-2011, 01:14 AM
A max salary player taking a significant paycut is against the spirit of the CBA.

joshdaboss
08-16-2011, 05:07 AM
Let's make it an even 10 million. I'm not greedy.

xellos88330
08-16-2011, 12:01 PM
Yeah...I seriously doubt that.

League minimum is more than I make now, so hell yeah. At my age, I would be completely happy with league minimum.

sananspursfan21
08-16-2011, 12:12 PM
i'd take about 14 mil... seems fair for my assumed talent but not breaking my team and allowing them to sign others freely and have some cap space

DeadlyDynasty
08-16-2011, 12:12 PM
League minimum is more than I make now, so hell yeah. At my age, I would be completely happy with league minimum.

If you were a pro in every sense (like the OP suggested), then you would have an agent. If an agent said you could make $10+ million, would you really accept $500K?

You would be a sucker and a fool to settle.

Cane
08-16-2011, 12:44 PM
If I had an injury history like Chris Paul I'd focus for the most $ and if you're a superstar level player then you should earn that much anyway. Dwight's been turning into a star off the court and probably destroys CP3 in endorsements and exposure for what its worth and has also been one of the most durable players around. But if you get financially satisfied then it'd be easier to take on a lesser contract.

pookenstein
08-17-2011, 04:38 AM
OK, can't resist:

l91ISfcuzDw

or should I say:

cf7uJDhVZIE

Seriously I think if I was a Max player I'd go for Max money if I was on a shitty team. On a contender it could be a different story. Would depend on what I earned and/or accomplished until then.

cheguevara
08-17-2011, 08:24 AM
$500 bilion. nothing less.

baseline bum
08-17-2011, 12:30 PM
If you take the max, people bitch at you for being greedy. If you sign for less to allow other good players to come in, people bitch at you for wanting to form superteams and not doing it on your own.

cantthinkofanything
08-17-2011, 12:34 PM
If you take the max, people bitch at you for being greedy. If you sign for less to allow other good players to come in, people bitch at you for wanting to form superteams and not doing it on your own.

Yeah. Being an NBA player must suck.

baseline bum
08-17-2011, 12:46 PM
Yeah. Being an NBA player must suck.

That's why you have to take the max tbh.

Juggity
08-17-2011, 01:03 PM
League Minimum.

400,000 or whatever is still a ridiculous amount of money and the endorsement deals I could get would boost my income anyways. If I won a shitload of championships, the endorsement deals would go on long after I retire.