PDA

View Full Version : Rasmussen has Perry killing Romney, Bachmann

CosmicCowboy
08-16-2011, 12:42 PM
http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/elections/election_2012/election_2012_presidential_election/gop_primary_perry_29_romney_18_bachmann_13

GOP Primary: Perry 29%, Romney 18%, Bachmann 13%
Tuesday, August 16, 2011 Email to a Friend ShareThis
Advertisement

Texas Governor Rick Perry, the new face in the race for the 2012 Republican presidential nomination, has jumped to a double-digit lead over Mitt Romney and Michele Bachmann with the other announced candidates trailing even further behind.
The latest Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey of Likely Republican Primary voters, taken Monday night, finds Perry with 29% support. Romney, the former Massachusetts governor who ran unsuccessfully for the GOP presidential nomination in 2008, earns 18% of the vote, while Bachmann, the Minnesota congresswoman who won the high-profile Ames Straw Poll in Iowa on Saturday, picks up 13%.
Texas Congressman Ron Paul, who was a close second to Bachmann on Saturday, has the support of nine percent (9%) of Likely Primary Voters, followed by Georgia businessman Herman Cain at six percent (6%) and former House Speaker Newt Gingrich with five percent (5%). Rick Santorum, former U.S. senator from Pennsylvania, and ex-Utah Governor Jon Huntsman each get one percent (1%) support, while Michigan Congressman Thaddeus McCotter comes in statistically at zero.
Sixteen percent (16%) of primary voters remain undecided. (To see survey question wording, click here.)
Still, this marks a significant jump in support for Perry, who officially entered the race on Saturday although his candidacy had been rumored for weeks. Just over two weeks ago, a survey of likely primary voters found Romney with 22% support, closely followed by Perry at 18% and Bachman with 16% of the vote.
“Governor Perry is enjoying a bounce from entering the race at precisely the right time”, said Scott Rasmussen. “Now the difficult part begins for the new frontrunner. It’s much easier winning support when people are hoping you will get in the race, than retaining support when you are the frontrunner.”
The survey of 1,000 Likely GOP Primary Voters was conducted on August 15, 2011 by Rasmussen Reports. Likely GOP Primary Voters include both Republicans and unaffiliated voters likely to vote in a GOP Primary. The margin of sampling error is +/- 3 percentage points with a 95% level of confidence. Field work for all Rasmussen Reports surveys is conducted by Pulse Opinion Research, LLC . See methodology.
Seventy percent (70%) of primary voters continue to agree with Romney’s assertion at a debate in June that any one of the Republican candidates would make a better president that Barack Obama. Twenty percent (20%) disagree.
Perry captures 39% of the vote among GOP primary voters who say they are members of the Tea Party, with Bachmann a distant second with 21% support from this group. Perry barely leads Romney among non-Tea Party members 27% to 24%, but this marks a interesting change from the previous survey when Romney held a double-digit lead over Perry among these voters.
Sixty-nine percent (69%) of primary voters hold a favorable opinion of Perry, with 38% Very Favorable. Bachmann is viewed favorably by 71%, with 32% who share a Very Favorable regard for her.
Romney has slightly higher overall favorable rating – 77% - than Perry and Bachmann, but there’s less enthusiasm in his support. Only 21% hold a Very Favorable opinion of him.
Roughly one-in-five hold an unfavorable view of the three front-runners.
Paul, who emerged as a Cinderella of sorts from the Saturday straw poll, is viewed favorably by 43% and unfavorably by 45%. Gingrich is in a similar position with favorables of 48% and unfavorables of 43%.
For Cain, Santorum, Huntsman and McCotter, name recognition is still a problem, with at least one-in-four primary voters still not aware of them enough to venture any kind of opinion.
A generic Republican continues to lead President Obama in a hypothetical 2012 election matchup.

ChumpDumper
08-16-2011, 12:43 PM
The less people know about a candidate, the better.

CosmicCowboy
08-16-2011, 12:46 PM
The less people know about a candidate, the better.

That hasn't worked so well for Herman Cain or Huntsman...

ChumpDumper
08-16-2011, 12:50 PM
That hasn't worked so well for Herman Cain or Huntsman...Black and the other Mormon. That's all that needs to be known in their cases.

DUNCANownsKOBE
08-16-2011, 12:58 PM
Oh boy it's gonna be funny when the mainstream media starts talking about how Rick Perry used to be a Democrat who was Al Gore's campaign manager not-so-long ago.

Parker2112
08-16-2011, 01:13 PM
Election 2012: Barack Obama 42%, Ron Paul 41%

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/elections/election_2012/election_2012_presidential_election/election_2012_barack_obama_42_ron_paul_41

George Gervin's Afro
08-16-2011, 01:13 PM
Perry will finally have to answer to the 'other' part of his record. Too bad mainstream Americans aren't as stupid as Texas voters..

CosmicCowboy
08-16-2011, 01:16 PM
Oh boy it's gonna be funny when the mainstream media starts talking about how Rick Perry used to be a Democrat who was Al Gore's campaign manager not-so-long ago.

How long have you lived in Texas? There were actually conservative democrats here back then.

DUNCANownsKOBE
08-16-2011, 01:24 PM
How long have you lived in Texas? There were actually conservative democrats here back then.
I don't live in Texas. This was Al Gore's 1988 presidential campaign, there's not a snowball's chance in hell Al fucking Gore would pick someone with Perry's current belief system to be his campaign chairman, especially when Gore was already a climate crusader. He wouldn't have picked a bible banging conservative to run his campaign.

Rick Perry was a Democrat in 1988, and his dad was elected to the state house as a Democrat in the 80's as well. If you think Rick Perry's current set of opinions/beliefs is completely genuine, the jokes on you.

CosmicCowboy
08-16-2011, 01:30 PM
I'm telling you 22 years ago Perry was a conservative Democrat among conservative democrats. When the party started to change, he left it. If that's the best criticism you can come up with then the jokes really on you.

boutons_deux
08-16-2011, 01:32 PM
Rasmussen, alone, had McLiar beating Barry.

Rasmussen is as credible as Fox Repug Propaganda network.

Jimmy Ricky is the NBIT (and he's gonna let 'em down), the other Repug candidates will go after him, and so will the press. He already has long list of baggage and quotes he'll be battered with.

Wild Cobra
08-16-2011, 01:33 PM
I'm telling you 22 years ago Perry was a conservative Democrat among conservative democrats. When the party started to change, he left it. If that's the best criticism you can come up with then the jokes really on you.
Wasn't Reagan also once a conservative democrat?

DUNCANownsKOBE
08-16-2011, 01:34 PM
So you're saying 22 years ago Al Gore picked someone to be his campaign manager with these kinds of beliefs?

http://thinkprogress.org/yglesias/2011/08/15/295427/295427/

— 3. Al Gore Is Part Of A Conspiracy To Deny The Existence Of Global Cooling: Jokes that the Social Security Trust Fund “must be somewhere in Al Gore’s lockbox, right next to his notes from inventing the Internet and that global cooling data he doesn’t want anyone to see” (page 60). Argues that moderates oppose curbing greenhouse gas emissions because “they know that we have been experiencing a cooling trend” (page 92).

ChumpDumper
08-16-2011, 01:34 PM
I'm telling you 22 years ago Perry was a conservative Democrat among conservative democrats. When the party started to change, he left it. If that's the best criticism you can come up with then the jokes really on you.OK, we'll leave your man alone.

CosmicCowboy
08-16-2011, 01:37 PM
OK, we'll leave your man alone.

Meh. He's far from perfect but I'd take him over Obama in a heartbeat.

cheguevara
08-16-2011, 01:38 PM
:lmao GOP

:lmao no clear candidate

:lmao bunch of clowns

reminds me of the democrats in 2004

DUNCANownsKOBE
08-16-2011, 01:39 PM
With that attitude you should be supporting Romney given he'd win in a landslide over Obama.

ChumpDumper
08-16-2011, 01:40 PM
Meh. He's far from perfect but I'd take him over Obama in a heartbeat.Can't think of much he would do differently besides wear boots and pander to social conservatives.

CosmicCowboy
08-16-2011, 01:41 PM
With that attitude you should be supporting Romney given he'd win in a landslide over Obama.

I'd be OK with Romney.

Parker2112
08-16-2011, 01:43 PM

Spoken like a true sheep. He would give us more of the same, which neocons/rinos/CC seem to enjoy... so long as the status quo wears the right brand. Obama's adherence to Bush policies just wont do if Obama doesnt sport a nice pachyderm label.

Fuggin sheep all around. Its no wonder this country is headed for shit

CosmicCowboy
08-16-2011, 01:43 PM
Can't think of much he would do differently besides wear boots and pander to social conservatives.

Oh, I think there would be some clear differences in appointments and executive orders to departments like Justice and the EPA.

ElNono
08-16-2011, 01:49 PM
Wasn't Reagan also once a conservative democrat?

Can't be. Reagan never was a conservative.

MannyIsGod
08-16-2011, 01:52 PM
Oh yeah - thats what I really want. Perry appointing people to Justice and the EPA. Maybe he can make it a federal law that you have to have a sonogram before an abortion. Sounds just dandy!

CosmicCowboy
08-16-2011, 01:54 PM
If Manny doesn't like it I KNOW I'm for it now...:p:

ChumpDumper
08-16-2011, 01:56 PM
Oh, I think there would be some clear differences in appointments and executive orders to departments like Justice and the EPA.So what has really changed in those departments the past couple of years?

Parker2112
08-16-2011, 01:56 PM
Oh, I think there would be some clear differences in appointments and executive orders to departments like Justice and the EPA.

A conservative that is concerned about appointments and executive rather than trimming the size/scope of the federal govt altogether. CC is a RINO.

CosmicCowboy
08-16-2011, 02:00 PM
So what has really changed in those departments the past couple of years?

I really thought you were better informed, Chump. Is a stranger logged on to your account?

ChumpDumper
08-16-2011, 02:04 PM
I really thought you were better informed, Chump. Is a stranger logged on to your account?Are you stalling?

CosmicCowboy
08-16-2011, 02:10 PM
Are you kidding? ERIC HOLDER? NLRB suing Boeing over opening a non union plant? Implementing EPA CO2 controls by executive order after they were rejected by congress? Drilling moratoriums AFTER ordered stopped by a federal judge? I could go on and on. You REALLY think there is no difference?

ChumpDumper
08-16-2011, 02:12 PM
Are you kidding? ERIC HOLDER? NLRB suing Boeing over opening a non union plant? Implementing EPA CO2 controls by executive order after they were rejected by congress? Drilling moratoriums AFTER ordered stopped by a federal judge? I could go on and on. You REALLY think there is no difference?Since you put it that way, not really. Just a little pandering to a different interest group.

Thanks for convincing me there will really be no substantial difference between Obama and Perry.

CosmicCowboy
08-16-2011, 02:13 PM
Since you put it that way, not really. Just a little pandering to a different interest group.

Thanks for convincing me there will really be no substantial difference between Obama and Perry.

If you don't think there is any difference why do you hang out in a political forum? It's pointless, right?

DUNCANownsKOBE
08-16-2011, 02:14 PM
If you don't think there is any difference why do you hang out in a political forum? It's pointless, right?
It's not like hanging out in a political forum ever accomplishes anything regardless :lol

CosmicCowboy
08-16-2011, 02:19 PM
It's not like hanging out in a political forum ever accomplishes anything regardless :lol

One benefit is that interfacing with boutons makes me feel sane and normal.

Bill_Brasky
08-16-2011, 02:28 PM
Perry is a backwoods hick. Sadly, so is most of Texas.

Crookshanks
08-16-2011, 03:02 PM

Are you really that stupid, or are you just pretending?

JoeChalupa
08-16-2011, 03:13 PM
Perry's mouth may cost him in the long run. Even some republicans are coming and saying he is sounding unpresidential with his attacks against Obama's love of America and the military not respecting him. BS, when you are in the service, unless you are an ass, you always show respect for the Commander in Chief.

SnakeBoy
08-16-2011, 03:22 PM
Perry's mouth may cost him in the long run. Even some republicans are coming and saying he is sounding unpresidential with his attacks against Obama's love of America and the military not respecting him. BS, when you are in the service, unless you are an ass, you always show respect for the Commander in Chief.

Yeah the loser McCain types who would prefer a shitty polite campaign that ends in a loss. Perry will go as negative as he needs to in order to turn out the rabid base and win the primary, they need to get used to it.

coyotes_geek
08-16-2011, 03:32 PM
Yeah the loser McCain types who would prefer a shitty polite campaign that ends in a loss. Perry will go as negative as he needs to in order to turn out the rabid base and win the primary, they need to get used to it.

This. If Perry was willing to go scorched earth on Kay Bailey Hutchison he sure as hell isn't going to do anything less against Obama. Or any of his republican primary challengers.

JoeChalupa
08-16-2011, 03:36 PM
This. If Perry was willing to go scorched earth on Kay Bailey Hutchison he sure as hell isn't going to do anything less against Obama. Or any of his republican primary challengers.

Yeah, you know his prayer conference and all is directed at Romney and his Mormon faith.

ElNono
08-16-2011, 03:39 PM

It just doesn't work in the national stage though. He's needs to cater to independents (read: middle) and/or democrats. His base already supports him.

SnakeBoy
08-16-2011, 03:44 PM
It just doesn't work in the national stage though. He's needs to cater to independents (read: middle) and/or democrats. His base already supports him.

This is always the line from the left yet it never proves true. List the modern GOP presidential candidates and show the moderate ones that won and the far right ones that lost.

ElNono
08-16-2011, 03:47 PM
This is always the line from the left yet it never proves true. List the modern GOP presidential candidates and show the moderate ones that won and the far right ones that lost.

I'm talking about the rhetoric, not what they end up doing once they get there.

No better example than Barry, who ran on a left/moderate platform and ended up on the absolute far right.

It's always true that independents decide the elections. Much to the left and right chagrin.

Crookshanks
08-16-2011, 03:48 PM
The left always says the republicans need to be nicer and cater to independents - that's a recipe for failure; and frankly, conservatives are sick and tired of it! I want a strong republican candidate - one who isn't afraid to stand tough and tell it like it is. I want them to attack, attack, attack Obama - and I want them to be merciless when it comes to pointing out Obummer's failures.

Seriously - this country can't withstand another McCain-type candidate.

JoeChalupa
08-16-2011, 03:50 PM
Bachman is toast and then today she wishes Elvis a Happy Birthday. :lmao

ElNono
The left always says the republicans need to be nicer and cater to independents - that's a recipe for failure

It's what wins elections though. Go fetch the stats for registered Dems and Republicans. Neither side has enough to win the election.

Spurminator
lol "tell it like it is."

Crookshanks
08-16-2011, 03:51 PM
I'm talking about the rhetoric, not what they end up doing once they get there.

No better example than Barry, who ran on a left/moderate platform and ended up on the absolute far right.

It's always true that independents decide the elections. Much to the left and right chagrin.

You've got to be kidding, right? Obama is a far-right president? What kind of dope are you smokin?

And independents are just mushy, middle-of-the-road people who are too scared to take a stand one way or the other.

coyotes_geek
08-16-2011, 03:54 PM

He'll cater to the independents by telling them he knows how to create jobs, and oh by the way Obama sucks. As for whether or not going negative works on the national stage, clearly it does. Ask John Kerry.

Spurminator
08-16-2011, 03:54 PM
And independents are just mushy, middle-of-the-road people who are too scared to take a stand one way or the other.

They take a stand when they vote.

Most normal people take sides on individual issues rather than align themselves with one party's philosophy on all issues. Then they vote for the candidate who more closely aligns with them on the issues they prioritize.

coyotes_geek
08-16-2011, 03:55 PM
Yeah, you know his prayer conference and all is directed at Romney and his Mormon faith.

He knows who his competition is.

ElNono
08-16-2011, 03:58 PM
You've got to be kidding, right? Obama is a far-right president? What kind of dope are you smoking?

Uh? I know you're out of touch with reality, but this much?

Obamacare mandated pay to private corps? check
BigPharma happy with Obamacare? check
GITMO still open? check
Wars and the MIC still going strong? check
Extended tax cuts? check

... and the list goes on and on... He's Bush Jr Jr.
You might want to call dubya a RINO, but that's where he ran. Perry will be getting the same backing.

They don't care what you think. They hold the votes that take candidates to the white house.

ElNono
08-16-2011, 03:59 PM
He'll cater to the independents by telling them he knows how to create jobs, and oh by the way Obama sucks. As for whether or not going negative works on the national stage, clearly it does. Ask John Kerry.

Not saying negative-only campaigns don't work. Just saying he's going to have to cater to the middle (much to Crookskans despair). I have no doubts the GOP can align behind him if he wins the primaries.

coyotes_geek
08-16-2011, 04:01 PM
Uh? I know you're out of touch with reality, but this much?

Obamacare mandated pay to private corps? check
BigPharma happy with Obamacare? check
GITMO still open? check
Wars and the MIC still going strong? check
Extended tax cuts? check

... and the list goes on and on... He's Bush Jr Jr.
You might want to call dubya a RINO, but that's where he ran. Perry will be getting the same backing.

Truth.

Our choice next november is between a 4th term for George W. Bush or Rick Perry, who probably wouldn't be much different than George W. Bush.

ElNono
08-16-2011, 04:01 PM
Truth.

Our choice next november is between a 4th term for George W. Bush or Rick Perry.

Basically. Unfortunately, it might be 4th term dubya or 4th term dubya.

coyotes_geek
08-16-2011, 04:02 PM
Basically. Unfortunately, it might be 4th term dubya or 4th term dubya.

Just edited my post to say exactly that. :lol.................actually :depressed

ElNono
08-16-2011, 04:03 PM
:lol

jack sommerset
08-16-2011, 05:47 PM
Christie and Ryan might be the next to add their names to the mix. Perry is a nice addition but I'd like to see the other two jump in as well. I like Newt, Romney, Perry, Christie or Ryan in no particular order to win the nomination. I wouldn't mind Bachman but people like taco Joe will jack off all over her face giggling about wrong birthday shout outs to dead celebrities spewing absolute nonsense and quite frankly I don't want another few years listening to ignorant chauvinist fucks like that. No offense.

39 percent approval rating ain't going to get er done. I really wish the dems would admit barry was a failure and get another to run for the presidency. Someone who would listen to the people, make government smaller, toss out obamacare,stop the wars, lower taxes, tackle immigration, create jobs, bring congress together, stop the freaking clock on the debt perhaps even going the other direction in his/her first term, generally fix the economy and act like a president. Barry does none of this. Demand someone other than barry. He is a failure. Until then, go red team. Anyone that gets the nod, gets my vote.

RandomGuy
08-16-2011, 06:39 PM
Perry will finally have to answer to the 'other' part of his record. Too bad mainstream Americans aren't as stupid as Texas voters..

ow...

Friendly fire!! I'm hit!!! Medic!!!

This Texas voter has always voted for Perry's opponent. :p:

RandomGuy
08-16-2011, 06:42 PM

I have pointed this out before, so forgive the repeat:

You have three voting members. A, B, C.

A always votes the opposite of C.

Who has the real decision making power?

It really is just that simple. Moderates and independents are what decides elections.

baseline bum
08-16-2011, 06:43 PM
Truth.

Our choice next november is between a 4th term for George W. Bush or Rick Perry, who probably wouldn't be much different than George W. Bush.

Our choice will be between George W. Bush vetoing everything out of congress and George W. Bush signing everything out of congress. I prefer the former.

boutons_deux
08-16-2011, 11:00 PM
I heard that he's not that popular in the legislature, and not that popular all around.

The suppporters are saying he's relentless, driven, never-quit bastard. That's the "press release".

Spurminator
08-17-2011, 09:12 AM
Someone needs to work with him on his stage gestures.

http://s-ak.buzzfed.com/static/imagebuzz/terminal01/2011/8/15/17/memo-to-rick-perry-dont-hold-your-arm-like-that-19609-1313443714-13.jpg

scott
08-17-2011, 09:30 AM
39 percent approval rating ain't going to get er done. I really wish the dems would admit barry was a failure and get another to run for the presidency. Someone who would listen to the people, make government smaller, toss out obamacare,stop the wars, lower taxes, tackle immigration, create jobs, bring congress together, stop the freaking clock on the debt perhaps even going the other direction in his/her first term, generally fix the economy and act like a president. Barry does none of this. Demand someone other than barry. He is a failure. Until then, go red team. Anyone that gets the nod, gets my vote.

So basically you are saying that the Republican candidates are SO BAD that you want the Democrats to nominate a Republican so you don't have to vote for the Republicans?

RandomGuy
08-17-2011, 09:39 AM
So basically you are saying that the Republican candidates are SO BAD that you want the Democrats to nominate a Republican so you don't have to vote for the Republicans?

Jack has never let cognitive dissonance get in the way of his politics. :lol

DUNCANownsKOBE
08-17-2011, 12:12 PM
It's funny how Republicans think lower taxes = better economy

ElNono
08-17-2011, 12:34 PM

It's funnier how they think lower taxes = higher revenue

CosmicCowboy
08-17-2011, 12:53 PM

It's funny how knee jerk liberals think taking more and more money from taxpayers pockets to send to Washington so that politicians can dole out special favors and and throw money on their pet projects and programs in an attempt to buy votes is good for the economy.

ElNono
08-17-2011, 01:00 PM
It's funny how knee jerk liberals think taking more and more money from taxpayers pockets to send to Washington so that politicians can dole out special favors and and throw money on their pet projects and programs in an attempt to buy votes is good for the economy.

This is true too. But since Washington has basically no impediment to borrow, then bitching about deficits is a bit hypocritical don't you think? Eventually the tax payer is going to be on the hook regardless + interest.

Agloco
08-17-2011, 01:06 PM

:rolleyes

Way to fail.

RandomGuy
08-17-2011, 01:15 PM

Data points:

US government borrowing costs at record lows
Labor is cheap due to soft economy
infrastructure, a required expense, is deteriorating and building up a sizeable deficit in terms of what is required vs. what we are building

Conclusion:
Borrow money to build infrastructure while it is really, really cheap to do so.

If you have to do it anyways, why wait until it gets expensive to do it?

The solution to our current economic malaise is pretty simple.

Borrow more.

Sad thing is that the pragmatic solution to the problem runs up against ideological dogma.

I don't like running up debt any more than anyone else, but there are times when it is the right policy tool.

RandomGuy
08-17-2011, 01:16 PM
Alternately, an Infrastructure Bank would seem to be a good solution.

coyotes_geek
08-17-2011, 01:22 PM
Alternately, an Infrastructure Bank would seem to be a good solution.

:tu

CosmicCowboy
08-17-2011, 01:23 PM
Data points:

US government borrowing costs at record lows
Labor is cheap due to soft economy
infrastructure, a required expense, is deteriorating and building up a sizeable deficit in terms of what is required vs. what we are building

Conclusion:
Borrow money to build infrastructure while it is really, really cheap to do so.

If you have to do it anyways, why wait until it gets expensive to do it?

The solution to our current economic malaise is pretty simple.

Borrow more.

Sad thing is that the pragmatic solution to the problem runs up against ideological dogma.

I don't like running up debt any more than anyone else, but there are times when it is the right policy tool.

That logic might work if we hadn't already been slinging that credit card for many years. The debt to income ratio is all out of whack and we are essentially bankrupt.

Bill_Brasky
08-17-2011, 01:28 PM
Are you really that stupid, or are you just pretending?

Hey remember det time he refused a stay of execution for a man who was clearly innocent and the man ended up being executed, then they exonerated him afterwards? Then instead of apologizing for his mistake he tried to cover it up like a retarded jackass?

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/10/01/texas.execution.probe/index.html

http://www.alternet.org/blogs/peek/143080/texas_governor_rick_perry_is_trying_to_cover_up_th e_execution_of_an_innocent_man/

Long, but best read:
http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2009/09/07/090907fa_fact_grann

Bill_Brasky
08-17-2011, 01:31 PM
:rolleyes

Way to fail.

Ha. You know what I meant.

4>0rings
08-17-2011, 04:32 PM
Fox has a GIANT chub for Perry, game over.

2012 Obama vs Perry

Game over for the U.S.

http://rebuildingtori.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/fuuuuuuu.png

ElNono
08-17-2011, 04:57 PM
Hey remember det time he refused a stay of execution for a man who was clearly innocent and the man ended up being executed, then they exonerated him afterwards? Then instead of apologizing for his mistake he tried to cover it up like a retarded jackass?

Science is overrated anyways

RandomGuy
08-17-2011, 05:43 PM
Fox has a GIANT chub for Perry, game over.

2012 Obama vs Perry

Game over for the U.S.

http://rebuildingtori.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/fuuuuuuu.png

The more Perry talks, the more extremist he seems.

Global warming denial, Texas secession, calling the Fed Chairman a potential traitor, etc, etc, etc, will not play well with the independents he will need to win a general election.

The GOP candidate needs to say juuuuust enough to get the base, and avoid anything too poisonous to independents and moderates.

The problem with the current Republican party is that may not be possible anymore, given the extremist tilt the party seems to have taken. You almost *have* to mirror the nutter fringe of the party to get the nod, it seems to me.

That is not a recipe for general election success.

coyotes_geek
08-17-2011, 06:01 PM
Meh. Perry's always been the fire and brimstone Perry in the primaries. Once he has that wrapped up he'll become the kindler, gentler general election Perry who will try to woo the independents. Will the independents remember and/or care how Perry sounded back in the primaries by then? They'll probably remember, but whether or not they'll care will depend on what mood they're in. Their mood likely being determined by what the DOW and the unemployment rate look like at that particular moment.

Nbadan
08-17-2011, 07:12 PM
If Perry is the best the GOP can do, which probably is since all the moderate candidate who have any chance to attract enough independents to win in the general against Obama are dropping out, then Obama's re-election is a lock....

Nbadan
08-17-2011, 08:06 PM
Top Ten Things that Rick Perry does NOT want you to know about him.

Courtesy of Think Progress:

(1) PERRY ALLOWED THE EXECUTION OF A LIKELY INNOCENT MAN, THEN IMPEDED AN INVESTIGATION INTO THE MATTER

(2) PERRY WANTS TO REPEAL THE 16th AND 17th AMENDMENTS, ENDING DIRECT ELECTION OF U.S. SENATORS AND THE FEDERAL INCOME TAX

(3) PERRY PROPOSED LETTING STATES DROP OUT OF SOCIAL SECURITY AND MEDICAID

(4) TEXAS IS THE COUNTRY’S BIGGEST POLLUTER, BUT PERRY SUED THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT FOR DISAPPROVING OF THE STATE’S AIR QUALITY STANDARDS

(5) PERRY DESIGNATED AS “EMERGENCY LEGISLATION” A BILL REQUIRING ALL WOMEN SEEKING ABORTIONS TO HAVE SONOGRAMS FIRST

(6) PERRY GUTTED CHILDCARE SERVICES EVEN AS TEXAS CHILDHOOD POVERTY HIT 25 PERCENT

(7) PERRY WAS A STRONG SUPPORTER OF TEXAS’S ANTI-SODOMY LAWS

(8) PERRY IS A STIMULUS HYPOCRITE WHO LOUDLY CRITICIZED FEDERAL RECOVERY MONEY BUT USED IT TO BALANCE HIS STATE’S BUDGET

(9) PERRY SAID THAT TEXAS MIGHT HAVE TO SECEDE FROM THE UNITED STATES

(10) DESPITE HAVING THE WORST UNINSURED RATE IN THE COUNTRY, PERRY CLAIMS THAT TEXAS HAS “THE BEST HEALTH CARE IN THE COUNTRY”

I think I would like to add an eleventh one to this list:

(11) PERRY STOLE MONEY SET ASIDE TO HELP THE POOR AND ELDERLY PAY THEIR UTILITY BILLS DURING THE CURRENT HEATWAVE, TO HELP BALANCE THE STATE BUDGET.

Winehole23
08-18-2011, 08:29 AM
All of those will be advantageous to him in the primary, imo.

baseline bum
08-18-2011, 09:59 AM
All of those will be advantageous to him in the primary, imo.

What about the $400 gardasil shots mandated by executive order though? That's going to be hard to spin.

Spurminator
08-18-2011, 11:33 AM
Think Progress continues to show a penchant for taking things that most people can agree on and distorting them to a level so one-sided and beyond reality that it invites skepticism and defeats the purpose.

ChumpDumper
08-18-2011, 12:04 PM
What about the $400 gardasil shots mandated by executive order though? That's going to be hard to spin.He said he just hates cancer and loves cervixes so much he had to try something. It's not going to be an issue.

Winehole23
08-18-2011, 12:05 PM
What about the $400 gardasil shots mandated by executive order though? That's going to be hard to spin.Yep. That one looks bad any way you slice it.

Winehole23
08-18-2011, 12:05 PM
But tend to agree with ChumpD that it won't amount to much.

ElNono
08-18-2011, 12:09 PM
Media is in full spin already... including unfortunate phrases like "Adios, mofo" :lol

Winehole23
08-18-2011, 12:14 PM
Why don't you let us get on down the road?

Spurminator
08-18-2011, 01:06 PM
Gardasil created a whole network of women marketing their product for free. You couldn't go into a hospital without getting a brochure about cervical cancer, HPV, and how pretty much everyone had it or was going to get it.

Not that awareness of cervical cancer is ever a bad thing but I really think there was a coordinated effort to get women to feel that it was such a widespread epidemic that mandatory vaccines were necessary. The timing was just too good.

baseline bum
08-18-2011, 01:53 PM
Either that, or Merck just bribed Perry.