PDA

View Full Version : Detroit Free Press: ABC turns broadcast into Spurs love-in

spurschick
06-13-2005, 09:53 AM
UNDERCOVER FAN: ABC turns broadcast into Spurs love-in
June 13, 2005
http://www.freep.com/sports/pistons/fan13e_20050613.htm

If you listened to the hype before the NBA Finals began, the Spurs and the Pistons were so similar that making a prediction was like guessing which freeway will be clogged during Detroit's morning rush hour.

Who can tell?

But apparently, ABC saw enough in Game 1 to gain some confidence and pick a route.

The ABC broadcast team talked all Manu Ginobili all the time before Game 2 of the NBA Finals on Sunday.

After what Ginobili did in Game 1 -- he had 22 points in the second half to lift the Spurs to a win -- ABC seemed ready to yank the "future of the game" label away from Dwyane Wade (he's so last week) and thrust it into Ginobili's hands. Ginobili continued to show the future might be bright with 27 points in the Spurs' 97-76 Game 2 victory.

The slogan of these Finals is "Where Legends Are Born," and by the number of times ABC mentioned Ginobili during the pregame 45 minutes of analysis, it's clear they have their proverbial fingers and toes crossed in hope that the little man with the long hair and the big game fulfills that promise.

They called him the difference maker and "Mr. Excitement." They showed him putting on his socks -- twice. They blew his name up and rolled it across the screen.

Bill Walton put him at the top of the list as the most creative player to ever play the game. They had a short tearjerker feature about the long odds he overcame to make it out of Argentina and land in the NBA.

They showed Ginobili highlight after highlight after highlight.

The good news: ABC is officially in love. Isn't that sweet?

The bad news: It's unclear if anyone can remember who Ginobili and the Spurs are actually playing.

OK, that's harsh. The pregame team of Mike Tirico, Greg Anthony and Walton and the broadcast duo of Al Michaels and Hubie Brown didn't completely ignore the Pistons. They called on Ben Wallace to step up, Rasheed Wallace to shoot more, Chauncey Billups to get Rasheed the ball more, Tayshaun Prince to find some aggression, and for Richard Hamilton to find patience and score more, period.

Gee, is that it, guys?

It was an annoyingly Spurs-slanted show, but one hard to criticize, especially after the first half ended and Detroit had given up 58 points.

At halftime, after a tearjerker feature on Bruce Bowen's hard upbringing (notice a pattern?), Walton turned the "play-the-right-way" card around on Detroit and questioned whether the Pistons still believe in Larry Brown.

Tirico immediately nixed that thought ("It has nothing to do with the coach"), but called Detroit's Game 2 intensity "dial-up' compared to the Spurs "high-speed."

That was bad news, considering the history lesson Tirico imparted before the game.

He pointed out that almost all teams that win the first two Finals games win the series. So that made Game 2 a Detroit must-win, right?

Since that makes sense, Walton immediately and predictably disagreed, saying that because Detroit has the next three games at the Palace, the Spurs must win Sunday or they'll lose the series.

Walton went on to give the Palace more props than anyone ever has.

"They'll be going to the wildest, craziest, most difficult place to win in all of sports in today's world, the Palace of Auburn Hills," Walton said emphatically.

Wonder what the folks at Lambeau Field, the Horseshoe, Cameron Indoor Arena, or Yankee Stadium would say about that?

Between Ginobili highlights and Spurs love, ABC also got the chance to hype its hit show, "Desperate Housewives." Eva Longoria, the TV sexpot who is said to be dating Tony Parker, was first sighted just 10 minutes into ABC's broadcast at 8:40. The cameras found her again at 9:34, and finally at 10:07, sideline reporter Michele Tafoya landed the big interview.

Longoria won't answer Parker questions, so Tafoya asked her about her Spurs fanhood. It didn't matter -- most men weren't listening to what she said, anyway.

One final broadcast thought: To the guy sandwiched in the background between Michaels and Brown -- don't you know all the cool money-hungry kids get ads tattooed on their foreheads? The Valvoline T-shirt just doesn't cut it.

Spurminator
06-13-2005, 09:56 AM
I sort of noticed the same thing... but I think a lot of it had to do with the games being played in SA. I expect the next two or three games to be more Pistons-themed.

MannyIsGod
06-13-2005, 09:59 AM
I'm guessing that when your team fails to show up in the first 2 games of the NBA Finals, there are not going to be very many nice things you can say about them.

I'm so sick of telecast bitching. They suck, yet the DFP has nothing better to run than a article talking about a supposed slant in the coverage? Media complaining about Media. Wow.

Guru of Nothing
06-13-2005, 10:01 AM
I'll agree that much of it is beginning to sound like there is a little too much love going to the Spurs, but it goes with the winning.

And still I want to bitch - get Hubie the hell out of there. As was mentioned in the game blog last night, it seems like he is watching a different game.

MannyIsGod
06-13-2005, 10:02 AM
We can put Hubie and the Conexion guy together so they can discuss zone defense.

nkdlunch
06-13-2005, 10:03 AM
That Valvoline dude is a smart ass. Making mad profit by sitting on his ass and watching the NBA finals.

SWC Bonfire
06-13-2005, 10:03 AM
We can put Hubie and the Conexion guy together so they can discuss zone defense.

:lol I felt bad for that guy... you could tell Pop was trying to be diplomatic but just lacked the tact to explain it away...:lol

Extra Stout
06-13-2005, 10:07 AM
This article officially makes the Pistons the Spurs' sister franchise. It was as if somebody took a Spurs fan's ABC rant, and just exchanged some words.

SouthernFried
06-13-2005, 10:08 AM
I know the guy in the Valvoline T-Shirt.

I can say that, now that he's a star.

Vashner
06-13-2005, 10:09 AM
No it's just some idiot in Detroit getting pissed at pictures of the city.. etc.

Also ABC pointed out we are the 9th LARGEST city in the USA .. this pisses
off the people that want to keep a boot on us and keep us "small"...

(They look at downtown.. but we invented urban sprawl with all our air bases in 1918+).

Useruser666
06-13-2005, 10:10 AM
Rob Zombie > Dawn of the Dead zombie > Hubie Brown

CosmicCowboy
06-13-2005, 10:14 AM
ABC sucks. Cutting away from the game while the ball was in play for that stupid interview with Eva Longoria was ridiculous. This is the NBA Finals, not Entertainment Tonight...

SPARKY
06-13-2005, 10:17 AM
Going into this series the media had the Pistons' nuts on their collective chins. Surprise, surprise, the Spurs can play D just like the Pistons can if not a little better and hey, they have a better offense to boot.

The storyline for the Pistons before Game 1 was that they were a resilient group who would undoubtedly take the first game because hey, they did it last year.

The storyline for the Pistons before Game 2 was that they were tired before Game 1 and that they were such a resilient bunch that they would undoubtedly bounce back from a road loss with a road win.

The storyline for the Pistons before Game 3 is that they are unbeatable at home and...

Vashner
06-13-2005, 10:24 AM
ABC sucks. Cutting away from the game while the ball was in play for that stupid interview with Eva Longoria was ridiculous. This is the NBA Finals, not Entertainment Tonight...
HEY HEY .. lot of us are hardcore Eva fans....! :pctoss

PM5K
Yeah you won't have a lot of highlights to show when you score 69 points....

Honestly though, how do you not show some love for a guy shooting 67% from the field, AND THE THREE POINT LINE.

You just can't ignore that, even if you want to....

samikeyp
and if the Pistons were up 2-0....they would be getting the love. Fair is Fair.

whottt
06-13-2005, 10:33 AM
ABC is looking for someone, anyone, to market in this series devoid of stars...Yes there's Duncan but Duncan doesn't have the game or the desire to fill that roll...and really no one on the Pistons does either...

ABC is finally seeing the writing on the wall as to who is likely going to be spending a lot of time in the finals they paid billions for, and they've finally figured out that's it's better to get behind the Spurs than it is to act like they are the ugly bastard stepchild...

It's called marketing...they can't count on the Lakers to sell the game on name basis anymore...the Lakers aren't here and they are going to have to work to market the Spurs.

It seems like the smart thing to do if you ask me...in 03 they spent the entire year trashing the Spurs and calling them boring and it bit them ass when the Spurs wound up in their finals...It's a known fact that ESPN and ABC don't like the Spurs...this is a case of them doing what it's their own best interest and supporting rather than trashing the probable best team in their league.

They are selling defense, and selling the Spurs...and really, the Spurs deserve it.

I think they are selling the Pistons as well...but these two games were in SA..I expect the coverage in Detroit to be slanted more towards the Pistons...but there is still no one in this series with more marketing potential than Manu.

Jimcs50
06-13-2005, 10:34 AM

I wanted more Eva....

Marklar MM
06-13-2005, 10:35 AM
Why can't Eva wear that Parker jersey. I didn't want to see no fu-fu dress shirt thingy.

MiNuS
06-13-2005, 10:37 AM

season ticket holder.

NICE SEAT!

Jimcs50
06-13-2005, 10:38 AM
ABC is looking for someone, anyone, to market in this series devoid of stars...Yes there's Duncan but Duncan doesn't have the game or the desire to fill that roll...and really no one on the Pistons does either...

ABC is finally seeing the writing on the wall as to who is likely going to be spending a lot of time in the finals they paid billions for, and they've finally figured out that's it's better to get behind the Spurs than it is to act like they are the ugly bastard stepchild...

It's called marketing...they can't count on the Lakers to sell the game on name basis anymore...the Lakers aren't here and they are going to have to work to market the Spurs.

It seems like the smart thing to do if you ask me...in 03 they spent the entire year trashing the Spurs and calling them boring and it bit them ass when the Spurs wound up in their finals...It's a known fact that ESPN and ABC don't like the Spurs...this is a case of them doing what it's their own best interest and supporting rather than trashing the probable best team in their league.

They are selling defense, and selling the Spurs...and really, the Spurs deserve it.

I think they are selling the Pistons as well...but these two games were in SA..I expect the coverage in Detroit to be slanted more towards the Pistons...but there is still no one in this series with more marketing potential than Manu.

The Spurs are going to be ABC's only chance to make money the next 5 yrs, sice the Spurs will be in Finals the next 5 yrs, so they might as well try to promote them every chance they can.

If given half a chance, the Spurs can be just as popular as the Bulls, in the next 5 yrs.

The Spurs have stars, or soon to be stars, they have good storylines, they have great fans and they have ABC's own Eva Longoria,....what more could you ask for?

Jimcs50
06-13-2005, 10:39 AM
Why can't Eva wear that Parker jersey. I didn't want to see no fu-fu dress shirt thingy.

She is now being paid millions by LOREAL to look great, she has to dress up now.

mookie2001
06-13-2005, 10:44 AM
1. the nature of announcers is to S the D of the team thats winning, especially when they blow out the other team and are giving the greatest ass whooping in the history of finals asswhoopings

2. Ginobili is kicking like Game of Death out there

whottt
06-13-2005, 10:50 AM
The Spurs are going to be ABC's only chance to make money the next 5 yrs, sice the Spurs will be in Finals the next 5 yrs, so they might as well try to promote them every chance they can.

If given half a chance, the Spurs can be just as popular as the Bulls, in the next 5 yrs.

The Spurs have stars, or soon to be stars, they have good storylines, they have great fans and they have ABC's own Eva Longoria,....what more could you ask for?

Not only that, but as mentioned in other threads...

I bet the Spurs are already a great inernational draw...those are the numbers we don't have...and if you ask me, the Spurs should have the best built-in intrnational audience of any team in the NBA.

Jimcs50
06-13-2005, 10:54 AM

I bet the Spurs are already a great inernational draw...those are the numbers we don't have...and if you ask me, the Spurs should have the best built-in intrnational audience of any team in the NBA.

This is why the NBA is branching out with these preseason games in other countries. The NBA is becoming almost as popular as soccer in some areas, and you can bet that Stern wants a huge piece of that pie.

spurschick
06-13-2005, 10:56 AM
NOTE TO NATIONAL MEDIA FROM THE SAN ANTONIO SPURS:
Don't fight it. It only hurts when you fight. You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.

Or, put another way... if you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

ctpsb
06-13-2005, 10:58 AM
I agree that broadcasters switch from one team to the other so fast it gives you whiplash. One missed shot by the team in the lead and the trailing team "is now playing much better".
With that being said, the Detroit Free Press should have kept watching. They would have felt much better observing Hubie Brown trying to will a Pistons comeback. ("OK Al the Pistons just cut the lead to 21. Six or seven more baskets in a row without allowing one Spurs point and they'll be right back in this game.")

ChumpDumper
06-13-2005, 11:17 AM
and if you ask me, the Spurs should have the best built-in intrnational audience of any team in the NBA.Probably have to go with the Rockets for sheer numbers.

SPARKY
06-13-2005, 11:18 AM
The Spurs will grab Lithuania and Georgia soon enough...

whottt
06-13-2005, 11:20 AM
In terms of numbers yeah. In terms of TV sets and and actual basketball fans...I say no.

Jimcs50
06-13-2005, 11:22 AM
Probably have to go with the Rockets for sheer numbers.

But unless the NBA gets Rice a Roni as a sponsor, it won't make Stern any money.

:)

j/k

ChumpDumper
06-13-2005, 11:32 AM
In terms of numbers yeah. In terms of TV sets and and actual basketball fans...I say no.Not sure about the TV sets nowadays -- we might still be underestimating the sheer number of Chinese out there. And as for actual basketball fans? Sure, but does that really matter? It's been proven that the Spurs have the highest % of "actual" fans based on their knowledge, but we're still the third smallest market.

If I cared enough, I'd look at for the number of TVs in China, but I'll just add it's much easier to make one marketing campaign and broadcast package for the Chinese than, say, five or six for the potential audiences in the myriad countries the Spurs might attract.

wildbill2u
06-13-2005, 11:50 AM

Memo to ABC: It will be cheaper to buy some condos down in SA than to get hotel rooms for your folks for the next few years. :spin :spin :spin

DDS4
06-13-2005, 12:08 PM
Detroit's act about "not getting respect" is getting old.

You're sure as hell not getting love when you're down 0-2.

boutons
06-13-2005, 12:10 PM
"You're sure as hell not getting love when you're down 0-2."

and averaging -18 PPG differential.

grjr
06-13-2005, 12:33 PM
Hubie is sure not showing any "Spurs Love". In the first half Nazr gets charged for a travel under the basket. Hubie says, "That's a good call". I rewind the DVR....no it wasn't. Nazr's right pivot foot stayed in one place.

Couple minutes later, Rip is falling out of bounds and throws the ball off of Duncan. Nies says Spurs ball and then realizes it's Tim Duncan and changes his mind. Hubie says, "That's a good call". I rewind the DVR ....no it wasn't. Rip's right foot was down out of bounds WAY before he threw the ball.

If I could reach through the TV.....

ChumpDumper
06-13-2005, 12:34 PM
I thought Nazr took a little bunny hop there, but if you saw the replay....

TNT21
06-13-2005, 12:37 PM
haters!!

grjr
06-13-2005, 12:43 PM
I thought Nazr took a little bunny hop there, but if you saw the replay....

He did the Shaq-esque pick up the ball and hop into the lane but after he landed the little hop you saw was only his left foot. The right one stayed on the floor. Now that Nazr has a rep for travelling the refs look for any excuse to call it. Same thing for Tony when he stops in the lane. 2 out of 3 calls on him are bogus too.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-13-2005, 12:53 PM
When you are at the wrong end of the two most lop-sided first two games in the NBA Finals in 54 years, what do you expect?

Shut up and play ball.

beirmeistr
06-13-2005, 02:21 PM

According to San Antonio Express, he is the president of the local Valvoline Instant Oil Change franchise.

ChumpDumper
06-13-2005, 02:22 PM
Surprised ABC didn't have fat usher ass blocking him out.

beirmeistr
06-13-2005, 02:43 PM

U.S. audience for game 1---11 million
global audience--10 times that, according to NBA

jcrod
06-13-2005, 04:44 PM

You call him a star, he's the bud of all our jokes.

chantilly_82
06-13-2005, 05:53 PM

I know him too. He works with my mom.

timvp
06-13-2005, 06:34 PM
This article officially makes the Pistons the Spurs' sister franchise. It was as if somebody took a Spurs fan's ABC rant, and just exchanged some words.

:lol

Exactly.