PDA

View Full Version : Scoop Jackson on Big Dog.

samikeyp
06-13-2005, 11:51 AM
I have never been a fan of Scoop Jackson. I always thought that he was one bong hit away from fully baked and a wannabe balla' who chose to write because he couldn't play and in the past, liked to diss the Spurs because they were too "pale" for his tastes. This article, however, was really, really good. I may have to cut Scoop some slack.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=jackson/050613&num=2

EasilyAmused
06-13-2005, 12:43 PM
Nice Article! :)

SPARKY
06-13-2005, 01:05 PM
I really hope the Spurs can keep this guy. His willingness to play D pretty much erases any doubts about his game fitting in SA. The real question is what will be his price this summer? There's always a spot on teams in this league for someone who can fill it up. If the back of the envelope math is correct, the Spurs might be able to offer him a deal starting at about $3 million per season (assuming Scola's deal will start at $2 million) using the mid-level cap exception.

Once he has a full training camp and season with the Spurs, he will be one bad mofo to have come playoff time.

E20
06-13-2005, 01:10 PM
How old he be?

FromWayDowntown
06-13-2005, 01:16 PM
If the back of the envelope math is correct, the Spurs might be able to offer him a deal starting at about $3 million per season (assuming Scola's deal will start at $2 million) using the mid-level cap exception.

Are the Spurs limited by the MLE with Big Dog?

My assumption has been that the Spurs can exceed the cap to sign their own free agents, subject to having to pay the tax if you exceed the threshold (assuming the next CBA looks something like the current CBA). What I haven't been sure about is whether Big Dog qualifies as the Spurs free agent or not. If he does and if my assumption is right, the Spurs could, in theory, offer him the max (though there's no way they'll do that). It would, at the very least, give them the opportunity to offer something close to "market value."

The other question now is whether Big Dog would take less to stay in San Antonio and have the opportunity to collect some jewelry, or will he pursue money at all costs this summer. I hope he'll give the Spurs some slack, given that the Spurs gave him such a great opportunity.

whottt
06-13-2005, 01:21 PM
He's 32...I was a big fan of the signing and I thought there was a chance he'd be coming back...but after reading this article I can tell he won't be back...

He's talking minutes...and Rose's comments illustrate perfectly why guys like Brent Barry and Horry are so important to teams...

The thing about great shooters....most of them want to shoot...and they aren't exactly the best at playing team ball or behing happy in a supporting role...if you get a couple that can do both you hold on to them.

Robinson is not ready to make a permanent move to being a role/bench player it sounds like to me...I don't hold it against him...but it doesn't sound like he's going to take less money and less PT over what he could get from other teams, just to stay with the Spurs.

Even if he does...

He's younger than Bowen and could perhaps take over for Bowen for one season after Bowen can no longer start...but he won't be a long term replacement.

whottt
06-13-2005, 01:23 PM
Are the Spurs limited by the MLE with Big Dog?

My assumption has been that the Spurs can exceed the cap to sign their own free agents, subject to having to pay the tax if you exceed the threshold (assuming the next CBA looks something like the current CBA). What I haven't been sure about is whether Big Dog qualifies as the Spurs free agent or not. If he does and if my assumption is right, the Spurs could, in theory, offer him the max (though there's no way they'll do that). It would, at the very least, give them the opportunity to offer something close to "market value."

The other question now is whether Big Dog would take less to stay in San Antonio and have the opportunity to collect some jewelry, or will he pursue money at all costs this summer. I hope he'll give the Spurs some slack, given that the Spurs gave him such a great opportunity.

You can only go over the cap to sign your own if you have bird or early bird rights or an MLE or LLE exception...oir first round draft picks...

And you will have to pay the lux tax on those guys if you go past the threshold...

IOW, there is no escaping the tax threshold...exceptions and rights allow you get mover close to the threshold...that's the only way it can be done.

Robinson will have to be signed with a portion of the MLE if we resign him.

Guru of Nothing
06-13-2005, 01:28 PM
From Larry Coon's FAQ (http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm)

23. How long must a player be with one team before the Larry Bird exception can be used?
Theoretically, a player with Bird rights can be traded right before becoming a free agent and his new team can use the Bird exception to re-sign him. There is no specific tenure requirement with one team. The only rule is that the player can't have been waived or changed teams as a free agent for three years. However, if a team renounces a player (see question number 31 ), they can't use the Bird exception to re-sign him for one year.

I still don't know.

SPARKY
06-13-2005, 01:31 PM
Spurs don't have his Bird Rights nor his Early Bird Rights. They will have to use a cap exception such as the mid-level to re-sign him.

FromWayDowntown
06-13-2005, 01:34 PM
Thanks for the clarification.

Coon's FAQ also suggests that the Spurs could avoid using the MLE by offering him 120% of his current salary (though I'll admit to being exhausted and having not read it very carefully). Even if that were true, though, that would be a pretty paltry sum, all things considered.

SPARKY
06-13-2005, 01:39 PM
Yep, theoretically the Spurs could also sign him using the $1 million expection (actually worth $1.6 million for the 2004-05 season. Not sure what it will be in 05-06), the minimum player cap exception (worth $1.1 million for a player with Big Dog's tenure) or the non-Bird exception mentioned by FWD. Most likely all of those will be below Big Dog's price range.

ChumpDumper
06-13-2005, 01:41 PM
He's gone.

FromWayDowntown
06-13-2005, 01:47 PM
Yep, theoretically the Spurs could also sign him using the $1 million expection (actually worth $1.6 million for the 2004-05 season. Not sure what it will be in 05-06), the minimum player cap exception (worth $1.1 million for a player with Big Dog's tenure) or the non-Bird exception mentioned by FWD. Most likely all of those will be below Big Dog's price range.

I guess another possibility would be that the new CBA will provide other options or more capspace. With Stern's talk last night, though, I wouldn't count on substantial increases in the cap or expanded exceptions unless the players relent on the age limit and the length of max contracts, both of which would shock me. I still think, in terms of re-upping Big Dog, the Spurs best hope is that Big Dog remembers who gave him a chance and offer a discount for the opportunity that he's been given. I wouldn't blame him, though, if he chose to seek better money and more time elsewhere.

As for the story . . . .

I thought Scoop told Big Dog's story in a nice and meaningful way. It reminds me that while we focus so much on what these guys do on the basketball court, they're still human beings, dealing with the problems and issues that all human beings deal with. They just have to deal with those problems while maintaining their level of performance in a high-pressure, high-profile field (which they've chosen).

The stories this week about Big Dog, Bruce, and even Manu are all touching and humanizing and full of perspective.

SPARKY
06-13-2005, 01:54 PM
He's gone.

The most I can see a team throwing at him is their entire MLE. The Spurs have a pretty good shot at keeping him around, should they want.

myhc
06-13-2005, 01:55 PM
Yea, I think he's gone too. I wish him the best because he's been nothing but class since the day he arrived.

ChumpDumper
06-13-2005, 01:56 PM
I don't see the Spurs having the money or the minutes to keep GRob -- I'll be surprised if they do.

SPARKY
06-13-2005, 01:58 PM
They have Barry's minutes to give him.

ChumpDumper
06-13-2005, 02:03 PM
They have Barry's minutes to give him.And Cleveland has Ira Newble's to give to him.

And $20 million in cap room.

Just one example.

GhostofAlfrederickHughes
06-13-2005, 02:07 PM
I hope somebody pasted that article on Stephen A. Smith's forehead so he could read it.

Whether Big Dog II (aka not Antoine Carr) stays or goes, he's been nothing but the consummate pro, I wish him the best.

But beware, G-Rob: Hope the jewelry doesn't weigh down that shootin' hand!

:lol

SPARKY
06-13-2005, 02:12 PM
Does Cleveland want to commit a large amount to an aging perimeter player who hasn't played close to a full season in two years? Don't see it.

ChumpDumper
06-13-2005, 02:13 PM
Does Cleveland want to commit a large amount to an aging vet who hasn't played close to a full season in two years?More than the Spurs?

Probably.

SPARKY
06-13-2005, 02:14 PM
We shall see.

picnroll
06-13-2005, 02:17 PM
Lot of teams can use him that would give him more minutes. Cleveland as mentioned, Houston, Miami, Denver, teams on the cusp that need depth and scoring. Cleveland with Mike Brown would be good for him, he needs and deserves some sanity after O'Brien.

Rumor from a couple of places saying Pop is interested in Oberto on top of Scola so there would go some MLE. The fact that Oberto freed himself up I can see where he'd want to join the party with Manu and Scola.

2centsworth
06-13-2005, 02:18 PM
Which explains why he is the last Spur here. Still not dressed. Still working out. Still getting used to the system.

He spent the night in every huddle, during every timeout, looking directly into the eyes of whoever was talking, listening to PJ during the game, sitting next to the last assistant coach on the bench. During pregame warm-ups, he was the one getting the other guys ready – the guys who were going to get playing time ahead of him. A shooting contest with Beno Udrih, another one with Tony Parker. Playing D on Rasho, just in case. Helping Nazr get his post moves down.

Shows a lot of character. Worry about next season after this season.