PDA

View Full Version : Mohammed at home with Spurs

Jimcs50
06-13-2005, 12:07 PM
Mohammed at home with Spurs
By Greg Boeck, USA TODAY
SAN ANTONIO — When Nazr Mohammed was traded in February, he left the glitz of New York and the glare of Knicks basketball for arguably the most unglamorous organization in the NBA. That's not his take on life with the San Antonio Spurs, however.

Spurs center Nazr Mohammed, fending off the Pistons' Ben Wallace, had six points, five rebounds and two blocks in Game 2.
By Robin Buckson, The Detroit News

"Winning," the seventh-year veteran said, "is glamorous."

For Mohammed, that's reward enough for playing in the shadow of Tim Duncan and for a demanding coach who stresses team play and defense.

The 6-10 center was rewarded with another win in Game 2 of the NBA Finals. He totaled only six points, five rebounds and two blocks but was in the middle of the Spurs' 14-6 getaway that kicked off a 97-76 victory against the Detroit Pistons. He contributed 10 points, seven rebounds and two blocks in the Spurs' 84-69 Game 1 win.

Since arriving with Jamison Brewer in a trade for Malik Rose and two first round picks, Mohammed has proven a near perfect fit in the Spurs' drive for their third title in the last seven years.

"He has surpassed all of our expectations," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. "We would not be here without him. He has really used his minutes wisely."

Mohammed has embraced his role — "rebounding and defense and if I score a bucket, hey," he said. "To win, I'll do the dirty work."

He drew three-time All-Star center Ben Wallace in this series and knows he has his hands full. "I just try to keep him off the glass and find open spots on offense," said Mohammed. "He's a big spark for that team."

Mohammed provided similar spark for the Spurs when he filled in the final six games of the regular season, first for injured Rasho Nesterovic and then for an injured Duncan, and averaged 9.5 points, 11.7 rebounds and 2.66 blocks.

"All of a sudden, he had minutes because those guys were getting hurt and he showed his intelligence and picked things up very quickly," said Popovich.

Mohammed has benefited most from playing next to Duncan. "He's so unselfish," he said. "Being a big guy playing alongside him, it makes it even better. He takes the attention and focus of two bug guys on the other team. It leaves you by yourself a lot."

ChumpDumper
06-13-2005, 12:20 PM
If Ben Wallace can be kept under double-figure rebounds the entire series, Nazr would deserve huge props. Two games is pretty big in itself.

picnroll
06-13-2005, 12:31 PM
I don't know who saw the post-game two interview with Nazr but this guy is pure Spurs material, intelligent, humble, thoughtful, well spoken.

grjr
06-13-2005, 12:37 PM
arguably the most unglamorous organization in the NBA.

Yeah, we're light years behind the Glamor teams like Atlanta and New Orleans. Where do they get this shit?

Big Pimp_21
06-13-2005, 12:43 PM
It seems to me that Nazr won't be too hard to re-sign when his contract is up after next year. He may even sign an extension this summer.

sa_butta
06-13-2005, 12:46 PM
Yeah, we're light years behind the Glamor teams like Atlanta and New Orleans. Where do they get this shit?They can have the Glamor well take the Trophies and rings.

Summers
06-13-2005, 01:23 PM
I don't know who saw the post-game two interview with Nazr but this guy is pure Spurs material, intelligent, humble, thoughtful, well spoken.

Agreed... the more I see of him, the more I like him. I loved his response to the question about Duncan's "quiet" night; something like, "18 and 11, that's quiet? I dream about nights like that." :tu

mavsfan1000
06-13-2005, 01:37 PM
Mohammad is a great role player that fits a team like the spurs. He isn't asked to score alot or be close to that. Great pickup.

spurs_fan_in_exile
06-13-2005, 01:41 PM
Will Jameson Brewer get a ring if the Spurs win a championship? People talk about the importance of role players in winning championships, but I think it would be a real shame if they overlooked the importance of the real heros in the league, the trade fillers.

mavsfan1000
06-13-2005, 01:43 PM
Will Jameson Brewer get a ring if the Spurs win a championship? People talk about the importance of role players in winning championships, but I think it would be a real shame if they overlooked the importance of the real heros in the league, the trade fillers.
:lmao

SPARKY
06-13-2005, 01:59 PM
Finally the Spurs get a starting center who is not afraid to play physical in the paint.

picnroll
06-13-2005, 02:05 PM
Finally the Spurs get a starting center who is not afraid to play physical in the paint.
I guess that's a two thumbs up on the Malik trade.

cmc$purs
06-13-2005, 02:08 PM
NAZR> >> :fro

SPARKY
06-13-2005, 02:09 PM
I guess that's a two thumbs up on the Malik trade.

Nope.

GhostofAlfrederickHughes
06-13-2005, 02:09 PM
No, but I'm all for voting Zeke Thomas a playoff share for handing us Nazr.

:elephant

SpursWoman
06-13-2005, 02:10 PM

:lol :lol

Big Pimp_21
06-13-2005, 02:19 PM
From a personal standpoint I still don't like the Malik trade. From a business and a basketball standpoint, it's one of the best trades I can remember. I think all they wanted was to get Malik's contract off the books, and they ended up finding the starting Center they were looking for a few years ago. Nazr has even suprised Pop. I would love to see Malik come back to SA for less $$ when he gets out of NY, but overall, this turned out to be a GREAT trade.

SPARKY
06-13-2005, 02:23 PM
From a personal standpoint I still don't like the Malik trade. From a business and a basketball standpoint, it's one of the best trades I can remember. I think all they wanted was to get Malik's contract off the books, and they ended up finding the starting Center they were looking for a few years ago. Nazr has even suprised Pop. I would love to see Malik come back to SA for less $$ when he gets out of NY, but overall, this turned out to be a GREAT trade.

Yet they end up with Rasho's deal on the books. Plus they took away two 1st round picks from one of the best, if not the best, scouting departments in the league.

picnroll
06-13-2005, 02:32 PM
We'll see, if the Spurs want to move Rasho, if he's more moveable than Malik. Remember Spurs tried to unload Malik in the Charlotte expansion draft, even offering to throw in $3 million and I believe a second rounder and Bobcats wouldn't bite.

SPARKY
06-13-2005, 02:34 PM
Spurs never offered a second rounder and the $3 mil offer was pure speculation.

Yes, they were willing to move him for nothing in return because they are cheap like that.

picnroll
06-13-2005, 02:35 PM
Yeah. Too bad we didn't have Malik. Otherwise we might have won a title in '05.

SPARKY
06-13-2005, 02:37 PM
We shall see. Don't forget '99 and '03.

picnroll
06-13-2005, 02:44 PM
Well I guess if the Pistons pull out the four of the next five games you can try to make your case "if we'd only had Malik There's always hope.

SPARKY
06-13-2005, 02:48 PM
Yep. Done deal. Just like the '04 WC Semifinals...

blaze89
06-13-2005, 03:02 PM
Just where is Jamison Brewer?