PDA

View Full Version : Hubie Brown

weebo
06-13-2005, 12:19 PM
Did I miss something or did Hubie Brown actually call a double dribble a legal play? It happned in the second half after Rip had Duncan on a mismatch. Rip went up for a shot, lost the handle in mid air, recovered, and dribbled. They then went to a replay and HB called it an "up and under" move he [either Duncan or Rip] use often. Did anyone else see this?

Jimcs50
06-13-2005, 12:25 PM
Did I miss something or did Hubie Brown actually call a double dribble a legal play? It happned in the second half after Rip had Duncan on a mismatch. Rip went up for a shot, lost the handle in mid air, recovered, and dribbled. They then went to a replay and HB called it an "up and under" move he [either Duncan or Rip] use often. Did anyone else see this?

The ball was hit by TD, therefore not a DD.

nkdlunch
06-13-2005, 12:26 PM
Why does the game have to be so late at night, the crypt keeper scares me. :oops

mavsfan1000
06-13-2005, 12:27 PM
Hubie Brown is old and it is showing up as being an announcer.

Useruser666
06-13-2005, 12:30 PM
The ball was hit by TD, therefore not a DD.

Duncan was saying he didn't touch it.

sa_butta
06-13-2005, 12:34 PM
If he did not touch it then Rip would not have been able to grab it.

Spurs R Us
06-13-2005, 02:50 PM
Weebo,

Yes Hubie did say that it was a legal up and under move, which made me freeking yell at the screen.
Last night I wondered which game he and al Michaels were watching.
When Timmy D got hit in the face, Al Michaels starts talking about Timmy's ankle injuries and how the last thing the Spurs needed was to see him on the floor with another ankle injury. I just yelled, he got hit in the f&&king eye you moron.
I swear they weren't watching the same game.

Marklar MM
06-13-2005, 02:53 PM
They didn't know Duncan was hit in the eye...just that he went to the floor.

gospursgojas
06-13-2005, 02:54 PM
I heard somewhere that if it is ruled a shoot attempt then the shooter is alowed to catch it, even if it doesnt touch anything...

mavsfan1000
06-13-2005, 02:59 PM
Weebo,
Al Michaels starts talking about Timmy's ankle injuries and how the last thing the Spurs needed was to see him on the floor with another ankle injury. I just yelled, he got hit in the f&&king eye

:lmao

SouthernFried
06-13-2005, 03:04 PM
Hubie said it was an up and under move, have no clue what he was looking at. Rip lost the ball, and grabbed it again after moving...that is a double dribble.

Duncan was yelling at the ref for the call...and hubie was saying it was a good "up and under" move. I was so dumbfounded that hubie didn't see the obvious, I was speechless.

From what I saw, Duncan never touched the ball. If he did, then it wouldn't have been a double dribble. Has someone looked at that closer?

And the "if it's a legitimate shot, and you can get the ball again even if it doesn't touch the rim or another player"...doesn't apply in this case. If so, everyone could just throw up the ball and grab it again saying it was a shot. That ball never got 3 feet from rip...not even close to a shot attempt.

And I'm not sure if that rule even applies anymore. I remember in my playing days that some said that was just a college rule (not professional rule)...and it was a judgement call on the refs.

What is the status of the "legitimate shot" rule in the NBA and College these days. Does it even exist anymore?

But, regardless...even if that rule exists in the NBA...that was nowhere close to a legitimate shot. And if Duncan never touched it, an obvious double dribble.

Which is what I saw in the first place...and Hubie completely missed.

bonesinaz
06-13-2005, 03:10 PM
As an NBA announcer, Hubie never saw a call he didn't agree with--- hence the response, "That was a good call by the officials" that we hear from him every game he works.

As an NBA coach, Hubie didn't like a lot of the calls.

T Park
06-13-2005, 03:10 PM
The ball was hit by TD, therefore not a DD

That would be correct except....

he didnt touch the ball boz....

SouthernFried
06-13-2005, 03:16 PM
As an NBA announcer, Hubie never saw a call he didn't agree with

Man, I noticed that as well. He was justifying the refs after almost every call.

That in his contract or sumthin'?

Jimcs50
06-13-2005, 03:57 PM
That would be correct except....

he didnt touch the ball boz....

The refs called it that he touched it. That is why they made the sign with their hands that he touched it.

Whether it was right or not, who knows? TD always argues calls, nothing new there.

SWC Bonfire
06-13-2005, 04:01 PM
I tivo'd it. No one touched the ball. They must be saying that it was a shot attempt and rebound.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
06-13-2005, 04:04 PM
It wasn't a double dribble, it was traveling...

thispego
Rip's "up and under" move was legal because he didnt leave his pivot foot until he released the ball, he just ducked his body under Duncans arms and then went up with the ball...i thought that was what hubie was talking about.

When they started talking about ankle injuries after Duncan got hit in the eye, hubie said that fans up in the box seats or up in the nosebleeds were probably shitting themselves because they could'nt see what happened, they just saw him go down. I'd be shitting myself too

Jimcs50
I tivo'd it. No one touched the ball. They must be saying that it was a shot attempt and rebound.

You can not rebound your own shot if the ball does not hit the backboard.

SouthernFried
06-13-2005, 04:24 PM
The up and under move nobody cared about...its when he got the ball back is what we're talking about.

There was nothing wrong with the up and under move, and nobody was saying anything about that, including Duncan.

So, why Hubie was saying it was a legal move baffled me...that move was never the issue. It's his getting the ball back that was.

Did the ref call a tipped ball? I didn't see him make that call.

Marklar MM
06-13-2005, 04:32 PM
I concur. The only thing I can think of is that the ref called it a tipped ball.

kskonn
06-13-2005, 04:39 PM
yea the ref called a tipped ball. Duncan did not touch the ball but the ref thought that he did.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-13-2005, 06:40 PM
The refs blew the call. And Hubie blew the Pistons. He also blew the commentary on that one.

T Park
06-13-2005, 06:44 PM
Hubie cant get enough of rootin for Detroit.

Its getting sickening to listen to.

maxpower
06-13-2005, 06:47 PM
What replays did you guys watch...because the only one shown was from the sideline. The definitive shot would have been from the baseline.

LilMissSPURfect
06-13-2005, 08:35 PM
yeah.....i saw it...IT took me a couple of plays and a SPURS three to get over the call!
or noncall!

;-)

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-13-2005, 09:06 PM
Hubie is a bad choice to color commentate anything involving the Spurs, he's hated us since we punked his ass a few years ago in the playoffs.

Bitter old man...