PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Athletic Director: Tim Duncan Can Play 3-5 More Years

Sigz
08-24-2011, 09:03 PM
Tim Duncan, widely regarded as the NBA’s greatest power forward of all time, is in the twilight of his career.

Last season, he posted career lows in minutes (28.4), points (13.4) and rebounds (8.9) per game, and though he avoided injury for much of the year, his body did eventually break down as the Playoffs approached.

Physically, things are only going to get worse for the 35-year old Duncan, right? Well, not necessarily.

According to the San Antonio Spurs’ new Director of Athletic Performance, anyway.

From Gator Zone (via the Express-News):

[Matt] Herring has two national championships on his résumé and memories of a lifetime during his time as [the University of Florida’s] strength-and-conditioning coordinator. Oddly enough, Herring is leaving Gainesville to return to San Antonio, where he has been named Director of Athletic Performance for the NBA’s San Antonio Spurs. Herring is also returning home. The Texas native and his wife’s family live in Texas.

Herring starts his new job on Sept. 1 and joins an organization that has won four NBA titles, more than any franchise other than the Celtics, Lakers and Bulls. With the lockout creating uncertainty over the start of the 2011-12 NBA season, Herring is focused on building relationships with San Antonio’s current staff, led by longtime head coach Gregg Popovich, and creating a strength-and-conditioning program for the veteran Spurs once they return. … “You have an impact on their lives – their livelihood and their career,” he said. “You can have a positive impact on a guy like Tim Duncan and helping him get three, four, five more years out of his career and end on his terms.”

Tim Duncan hadn’t missed a game last season until the left ankle sprain in late March. It will be up to Matt Herring to help Duncan remain strong and healthy going forward.

Spurs fans can only hope that this will translate into steady contribution from their Hall of Famer for a few more years.

http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2011/08/spurs-athletic-director-tim-duncan-can-play-3-5-more-years/

DesignatedT
08-24-2011, 09:12 PM
Tim can do whatever he wants.

silverblackfan
08-24-2011, 09:14 PM
I would love to see 3 more years from Timmy! Hell, Sabonis (Portland) played well passed the expiration date on his knees and his IQ and passing were still very valuable.

Leetonidas
08-24-2011, 09:32 PM
Spurs Athletic Director: Tim Duncan Can Play 3-5 More Years

You have an impact on their lives – their livelihood and their career,” he said. “You can have a positive impact on a guy like Tim Duncan and helping him get three, four, five more years out of his career and end on his terms.”

Fail

Hooks
08-24-2011, 10:01 PM
Since Tim has to make up for Blair/Bonner's defensive deficiencies it'll be 1-2 more years max.

ElNono
08-24-2011, 10:12 PM
Not sure Duncan's knees can.

007nites
08-24-2011, 11:56 PM
Duncan will play till 38.

DeadlyDynasty
08-25-2011, 12:28 AM
Is that good news or bad news?

chazley
08-25-2011, 01:41 AM
If I'm Holt, I just offer to make the Pheonix training staff millionaires and we're back in the championship mix.

Stalin
08-25-2011, 02:13 AM
looks like this new trainer knows which butt holes to massage from the get go

Russ
08-25-2011, 07:24 AM
Not sure Duncan's knees can.

Skip Bayless said Kobe Bryant just had some experimental knee surgery in Europe that has worked wonders. Anyone else heard this? Could Duncan be a candidate?

lefty
08-25-2011, 09:40 AM
:lol

They tell us he can play 3 years, but a what level?

cantthinkofanything
08-25-2011, 10:35 AM
:lol

They tell us he can play 3 years, but a what level?

Your video reminded me of Kareem in his day. It made me wonder why more big men don't develop the sky hook. Especially the ones with a soft touch. It doesn't seem like it would be a hard shot for someone like Timmy to become proficient in.

lefty
08-25-2011, 10:37 AM
Your video reminded me of Kareem in his day. It made me wonder why more big men don't develop the sky hook. Especially the ones with a soft touch. It doesn't seem like it would be a hard shot for someone like Timmy to become proficient in.
Interesting

TImmy could use it to extend his career

Trill Clinton
08-25-2011, 11:42 AM
yea he can play 3-5 more years but not at a high level. the thought alone of Timmy at 40 still starting is disgusting.

stephen jackson
08-25-2011, 01:53 PM
i really dont see timmy getting worse than he was this year he prolly stay around 13 & 8 till he retires.
he just needs more help

TDMVPDPOY
08-25-2011, 02:30 PM
duncan imo is just another cog on the roster now, dude has stopped going to his trademark bankshot and backing up game, opting for lazy layups

DesignatedT
08-25-2011, 02:38 PM
Id guess he'd play 2 more years if you get him some help

Monostradamus
08-25-2011, 04:11 PM

Nice backpedaling...":cry:cry:cryI was just trolling/kidding this entire time:cry:cry:cry." Right, just like when you gave up on dem Mavs and bashed Dirk endlessly after Game 4 against Portland--"I was just reverse-jinxing them, how do you not see the genius in that?:madrun:madrun:madrun"

You've crusaded for new rules and player safety ever since Week 5 last year, when there was a statistical anomaly of malicious hits--since then you've done nothing but bring emotion to this argument (like only a bitch would do).

Truth be told, your post-Mavs title retardation is still going strong and affecting your posting in all forums now. DPG bent you over in the NBA Forum (DPCLD :lmao:lmao:lmao), Rogue bent you over in the Club, and now you're looking to the NFL Forum for some lovin':rollin

Who wants this thread to die now? Fuck, keep it going strong so I can give you weekly updates on concussions.

Now go home and get your fuckin' shinebox

z0sa
08-25-2011, 04:50 PM
Tim could have played til he was 40 like Kareem if he had had a big man next to him most every minute of every season after 2005. Unfortunately, being the only mule for a title contender will break your knees.

Thanks Pop!

mavs>spurs
08-25-2011, 06:54 PM
Tim could have played til he was 40 like Kareem if he had had a big man next to him most every minute of every season after 2005. Unfortunately, being the only mule for a title contender will break your knees.

Thanks Pop!
dont we have McDyess who's supposed to help abit?

Dr.Angus
08-25-2011, 07:52 PM
he'll never be the duncan of old but he's as good once as he ever was

Capt Bringdown
08-25-2011, 10:35 PM
I can't blame his reason($), but I'm not looking forward to Duncan following in Hakeem's footsteps and playing as a shadow of his former self.

Brutalis
08-25-2011, 11:41 PM
Can/Will game again?

Duncan will be gone after whatever season we have if not after the next one.

Seventyniner
08-26-2011, 10:33 AM
I can't blame his reason($), but I'm not looking forward to Duncan following in Hakeem's footsteps and playing as a shadow of his former self.

As long as he never plays for another team, I'd be fine with it. I just don't want him to spend a half season in Washington or some shit because the Spurs won't keep him around. Olajuwon in Toronto was just wrong.

SourCandy
08-26-2011, 12:59 PM
wow really? Uh I was thinking 1-2 years at the same level he is now.

lefty
08-26-2011, 02:24 PM
So we need to replace:
The Athletic Director
The GM
THe Head coach

tmtcsc
08-26-2011, 03:52 PM
:lmao Total nonsense.

I've come to the realization that's he's pretty much done and I'm ok with it. He was great for years and the fan community and the Spurs got a HOF player to bring us 4 chips, but he was totally outplayed last year and can no longer elevate his game for an entire season much less 3 to 5 more.

Hell, I'm sure he'd get a laugh out of that statement and make that expression with his eyes opened wide and say "I don't know about that but I'll take it one season at a time."

Cane
08-26-2011, 08:10 PM
Duncan's been declining but he's still one of the best bigs in the game and obviously still the best big for the Spurs. He was healthy for most of the season but injured himself late and re-aggravated it in the playoffs while playing against a superior frontline. Here's to hoping that he can stay healthier next season and have some help too.

G-Dawgg
08-26-2011, 11:54 PM
Duncan is just fine...he's good enough to play his last 3-5 years at a level Tiago Splitter may never reach....

..true story....

wildbill2u
08-27-2011, 08:46 AM
The worst thing for the Spurs will be a Duncan with steadily decreasing mobility, hanging on.

Fans will only remember the great days and demand that their beloved Timmy continue to start and get the majority of the minutes at his position. The coaches will be hung out to dry by the fans if they don't play him as a starter, while the team will subconsciously resent the fact that they may be losing games because of the respect everyone has for Tim.

Personally, I don't want to see Tim on the bench just because he could still play a few minutes at a reduced level. There are big men at the end of their careers who could play that role. I loved what Kevin Willis brought to the team, but Tim isn't Kevin Willis. He is the King and should not be downgraded just to keep him around. That would be pitiful to watch.

Hypochondriac
08-27-2011, 09:38 AM
He's still sick.

wildbill2u
08-27-2011, 02:46 PM
He's still sick.

How would a hypochondriac know?

Fabbs
08-27-2011, 03:16 PM

Thanks Pop!
We can only imagine what Duncan could have done with a real coach from 2006-2014.

Jeff McDonald: Duncan as Kareem?
MIAMI -- Pat Riley has coached Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. Pat Riley has also coached Shaquille O'Neal. Good news for Spurs fans: Pat Riley says Tim Duncan reminds him of the former, and not the latter.

"Duncan reminds me a lot of Kareem," Riley, the Miami Heat coach, said after this morning's shootaround. "Kareem wasn't a physical center, he was a finesse center. And he played until he was 41 years old."

More than that, Jabbar remained one of the league's most dominant players well into his late 30s. In 1986, at age 38, Jabbar averaged 23.4 points per game.

Riley's point: Big men like Duncan and Jabbar, who rely more on their mind and their touch than sheer physical strength and skill, tend to have a longer shelf life in the NBA.

Meanwhile, players whose main strength is their strength -- like O'Neal -- often begin to show their age much sooner. O'Neal's body has begun to betray him the past couple seasons. At age 34, he is obviously on the downslope of his Hall-of-Fame career. This preseason, O'Neal has been plagued with a strained calf muscle. (He's expected to play in tonight's game after sitting out the previous two).

But back to Kareem ...

"I didn't start coaching Kareem until he was 32 years old," Riley said. "And he played nine more years after that. And he won four more championships after that."

Riley says he wouldn't be surprised if Duncan accomplished something similar, in terms of both success and longevity. Spurs fans can only hope he's right.
http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblog...onald_d_1.html

slick'81
08-27-2011, 05:57 PM
yeah 3-5 more years at what level

mystargtr34
08-28-2011, 12:17 AM

mystargtr34
08-28-2011, 12:20 AM
Nice backpedaling..."I was just trolling/kidding this entire time." Right, just like when you gave up on dem Mavs and bashed Dirk endlessly after Game 4 against Portland--"I was just reverse-jinxing them, how do you not see the genius in that?"

You've crusaded for new rules and player safety ever since Week 5 last year, when there was a statistical anomaly of malicious hits--since then you've done nothing but bring emotion to this argument (like only a bitch would do).

Truth be told, your post-Mavs title retardation is still going strong and affecting your posting in all forums now. DPG bent you over in the NBA Forum (DPCLD ), Rogue bent you over in the Club, and now you're looking to the NFL Forum for some lovin'

Who wants this thread to die now? Fuck, keep it going strong so I can give you weekly updates on concussions.

Now go home and get your fuckin' shinebox

:lol what was this meltdown about?