PDA

View Full Version : Is it wrong if I want Duncan to win MVP over Manu?

tim_duncan_fan
06-13-2005, 12:45 PM
Manu is playing great but I just would like Duncan to win. I cant imagine him as the teams second option but thats how its going and I want Duncan to win it.

sa_butta
06-13-2005, 12:46 PM
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=304376#post304376

gospursgojas
06-13-2005, 12:46 PM
If Manu wins that doesn't make him the 2nd option on the team...Chauncey won it last year and he is probally the 3rd option on their team...behind Rip and Sheed

EasilyAmused
06-13-2005, 12:48 PM
Getting ahead of ourselves but....

*knocks on wood* :lol

Manu is playing great but I just would like Duncan to win. I cant imagine him as the teams second option but thats how its going and I want Duncan to win it.

No it is not wrong. Trust me I LOVE Manu and I would LOVE Tim to get a 3rd MVP but... it is also unfair for Manu if he keeps playing the way he has *sigh* how I wish we could give it to both.

WalterBenitez
06-13-2005, 12:49 PM
You are not wrong, thinkin on it

but ... no matter what happen Tim won't be second option, no way.

Tim will probably win MVP, Manu doesn't care

Just for the record (If I am not wrong) Manu had won MVP award in every league he played on.

sa_butta
06-13-2005, 12:50 PM
If Manu wins that doesn't make him the 2nd option on the team...Chauncey won it last year and he is probally the 3rd option on their team...behind Rip and SheedThe way Sheed has been playing he does not seem to be an option at all. He is not playing the post very well and he has not even tried to bring Duncan out and shoot some outside shots or even 3's

fraga
06-13-2005, 12:53 PM
As of today...Manu is the overall MVP of the series...but there are still games to be played...

tim_duncan_fan
06-13-2005, 12:55 PM
They should give it to both of them but since they cant I expect a big game from Duncan on tues. Because the Pistons will have to focus on Manu and the shooters Duncan will score a lot. I expect their averages to even out with one being maybe 2 or 3 points higher than the other and it will come down to who does more of the little things.

GoSpurs21
06-13-2005, 12:57 PM
all Manu needs to do is put his stamp on two more wins and the MVP is his.

If Tim puts his stamp on two more wins, maybe the MVP is split between them. Has that ever happened (two teammates sharing the MVP)?

Jimcs50
06-13-2005, 01:03 PM
TD can win championship w/o Manu, but not vice-versa.

I want TD to win his 3rd MVP.

Next year, they can give it to Manu.

The year after, they can give it to Tony.

samikeyp
06-13-2005, 01:05 PM
I don't care is Massenburg wins the Finals MVP...as long as the Spurs win the title! :)

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-13-2005, 01:05 PM
If you read around the country today (slow morning at work :lol ) everyone has already filled out their NBA Finals MVP ballots with Manu's name, they're just waiting for the series to finish.

MiNuS
06-13-2005, 01:08 PM
Duncan starts and Ginobili finishes.

Ginobili has been the obvious differrence so far.
The MVP of the Finals. I pretty sure Duncan
knows that.

whottt
06-13-2005, 01:09 PM
I want the most deserving guy to win it...

And have I ever mentioned that I hate championship MVP awards?

You spend the entire season preaching unselfishness, sharing the ball, not worrying about who scores the most or who has the best numbers, it's all about the team...and what's the last thing you do? Single someone out as beiing more of a reason for winning than anyone else.

I have no problems with stat based awards that reward individual excellence...

But it takes a great team to win an NBA title...it's a team achievement, not an individual achievement...You can have the best player in the world...but if player Z, who is the 10th man on the bench, doesn't come in and hit a game winner then the MVP didn't do anything to win a championship.

FWIW...Duncan's got 2 of them already. I think having a second player that has one will make the Spurs even more intimidating to pur opps and credible with the refs.

And Manu is the MVP of this series right now...

I'd like to have 5 guys in the hunt for finals MVP...and I'd be rooting for all of them to push each other...because the ring is the thing and rooting against one of your own players in the championship series because you have a favoite you want to win the MVP is kind of silly(and I am being kind calling it silly)...There's only one award that really and truly matters...and it's not going to be given to an individual.

Championships are won by great teams...not by great players.

samikeyp
06-13-2005, 01:14 PM
IMO, whottt's best post ever. :tu

clubalien
06-13-2005, 01:17 PM
yes it is wrong!
its because manu is white right? racist just because tim is black doesn't mean he should be MVP

but in the words of the new mayor i am about the whoel city bringing everyone together

thus manu and TIM for CO -MVP

oh yeah go spurs go

mookie2001
06-13-2005, 01:28 PM
if they vote manu mvp, and he averages less than 30ppg for the series and duncan averages 20+ 12+ it would be a slap in the face for duncan not to win the mvp, i will be happy with the win but duncan deserves that shit

kskonn
06-13-2005, 01:29 PM
not wrong, but I agree with Whott 100%.

I think we also take what tim Does for Granted. Without tim we would have been down by 25 or 30 in game 1. Face it duncan and ginobli are the new Shaq and Kobe. the difference being that they do not care about anything but winning. that is what makes them great. they do not live off personal accolades or credit. I don't know a single MVP that would not trade that trophy forr a championship, just ask nash, malone, Barkley etc....

mookie2001
06-13-2005, 01:30 PM
just because tim is black doesn't mean he should be MVP

shut the fuck up dumbass, you totally bring down this thread and disrespect tim and manu to bring that weak shit in here

MadDog73
06-13-2005, 01:34 PM
I want the most deserving guy to win it...

And have I ever mentioned that I hate championship MVP awards?

Totally with you on this. I really thought Billups should have refused the MVP award last year as the Pistons were the epitomy of a team beating individual stars.

How ironic that this year, the Pistons are trying to go against the Spurs one-on-one. Keep it up, Pistons!

nkdlunch
06-13-2005, 02:06 PM
TD can win championship w/o Manu, but not vice-versa.

If Manu was not in this Spurs team, Duncan would still need an allstar of Manu's caliber to win a championship.

manubili
06-13-2005, 02:41 PM
I agree with whottt.
You see manu passing the ball to TD all the time, or TD creating room for manu to penetrate. Along with Tony they became a mortal triangle. What it proves is that MVP shouldn't be something that important.

If our players were playing to be next MVP, Spurs wouldn't be in the finals. Teamplay is the key here, if not, we are looking in the wrong sport. Try tennis.

MVP is ok, but it obviously unfair as long as it's given to one player at the time.

Kori Ellis
06-13-2005, 02:43 PM
Bruce Bowen should be in contention for this series MVP.

But I don't really care who wins it.

1Parker1
06-13-2005, 02:45 PM
Manu, Tony rest of the team are what they are because of Tim Duncan. Due to Manu's crazy plays in Game 1, people are forgetting how Duncan had 24 pts, 15 rebounds, and 3 or 4 blocked shots. Last night he had something like 18 pts, 10+ rebounds, and 3 blocked shots. He scores consistently every night from the 1st quarter to the 4th quarter. While Manu has been amazing and I agree, without him we wouldn't have the 2-0 lead, people around here are shrouding Manu's 4th quarter heroics over Duncan's consistent, quarter after quarter, all around great game.

hendrix
06-13-2005, 03:14 PM
Manu, Tony rest of the team are what they are because of Tim Duncan. Due to Manu's crazy plays in Game 1, people are forgetting how Duncan had 24 pts, 15 rebounds, and 3 or 4 blocked shots. Last night he had something like 18 pts, 10+ rebounds, and 3 blocked shots. He scores consistently every night from the 1st quarter to the 4th quarter. While Manu has been amazing and I agree, without him we wouldn't have the 2-0 lead, people around here are shrouding Manu's 4th quarter heroics over Duncan's consistent, quarter after quarter, all around great game.

First off. Finals MVP award is crap and unfair. Season MVP should be awarded later and Duncan should have won it.
But, if you want stats other than points, Manu had 7 assists and 3 steals in game 2. And we lost rebounds by 10.
Not to mention that he is the difference-maker. I remember people saying stuff like "As Parker goes, the team goes". :lol

clubalien
06-13-2005, 03:18 PM
nash deserved the MVP for the regualr season

whottt
06-13-2005, 03:25 PM
Parker has played well...

See what this award does?

Everyone is trying to diminish the contribtions of the other players so their guy can get it...

I think the guy that said try tennis was right...that's where you can root for one player.

You can say we wouldn't be here without Duncan...you can say we wouldn't be here without a lot of guys...If Horry doesn't break the offense in game 3 against Denver for those two clutch threes...who is to say Denver wouldn't have won that series?

In 03 we might not have gotten past Phoenix if Danny Ferry did't have the game of his life when Drob and Willis were out...

We might not have gotten past the Mavs without Kerr...

But go ahead and keep diminishing the contrubtions of the other Spurs because you are a tennis fan and not a basketball fan.

It's really a shame...I used to watch Laker Fans do this until there were no longer any Laker Fans...just Kobe or Shaq fans...

I just hope our players are more mature than the Lakers were...because they turned out to be just like their fans.

ALVAREZ6
06-13-2005, 03:29 PM
I could care less about Finals MVP, but It would be nice to see Manu win finals MVP, and maybe people might give him some credit. His confidence will carry over to next season, with not international play, so he will be well rested. Manu is gonig to improve his numbers next season, IMO.

1Parker1
06-13-2005, 03:31 PM
First off. Finals MVP award is crap and unfair. Season MVP should be awarded later and Duncan should have won it.
But, if you want stats other than points, Manu had 7 assists and 3 steals in game 2. And we lost rebounds by 10.
Not to mention that he is the difference-maker. I remember people saying stuff like "As Parker goes, the team goes". :lol

First off, I don't know why you are even bringing Tony Parker into this conversation. Second of all, that's great that Manu had 7 assists, but he wasn't alone in the effort, the team as a whole had 23 assists on 29 baskets. The ball movement was unbelievable.

I am not saying MANU hasn't been awesome this series and has put us over the top, All I am saying is that he gets to do a lot of the things he does because of all the defensive attention Duncan draws. Duncan is quietly still putting up his MVP #'s which people seem to be taking for granted due to Manu's emergence in 4th quarters.

Finally, I do agree with Whott that Finals MVP shouldn't belong to one single player because each player contributes in his own way. I personally don't care who gets the MVP as long as we win the chamionship. All I was pointing out is that many people around here are forgetting who makes this team what it is, Duncan and the value he holds to this team.

hendrix
06-13-2005, 03:38 PM
nash deserved the MVP for the regualr season

Yes, of course. But Tim is the man season + postseason.

hendrix
06-13-2005, 03:52 PM
First off, I don't know why you are even bringing Tony Parker into this conversation. Second of all, that's great that Manu had 7 assists, but he wasn't alone in the effort, the team as a whole had 23 assists on 29 baskets. The ball movement was unbelievable.

Then why count rebounds, everyone has a share of the total. :rolleyes

I am not saying MANU hasn't been awesome this series and has put us over the top, All I am saying is that he gets to do a lot of the things he does because of all the defensive attention Duncan draws. Duncan is quietly still putting up his MVP #'s which people seem to be taking for granted due to Manu's emergence in 4th quarters.
Granted, Tim does bring a lot of attention and someone should take advantage of that. I mean, 4-for-5 from 3 point line, thats got to be thanks to Duncan.

Finally, I do agree with Whott that Finals MVP shouldn't belong to one single player because each player contributes in his own way. I personally don't care who gets the MVP as long as we win the chamionship. All I was pointing out is that many people around here are forgetting who makes this team what it is, Duncan and the value he holds to this team.
We all agree about meaningless aspect of Finals MVP award, and i already said that if only one should take it, it should be Duncan for his season + postseason performance.
But I dont make the rules, the award is about FINALS... it's given to whoever they think excelled during finals. I don't vote either, whoever is chosen, fine by me.

ducks
06-13-2005, 05:20 PM
if it was not for duncan allowing manu and tp to share scoring load
manu would not get those touches
I think they should be co=mvps
the big three

Cant_Be_Faded
06-13-2005, 06:50 PM
It's not wrong to want Tim to win it, there are plenty of reasons.

But it is wrong to be on the verge of talking smack and belittling other members of the team.

I personally think Manu is the mvp so far. But my Tim-bias totally wants him to win it just to say he has 3 finals mvps.....then as someone said manu can have it next year :)

haha, j/k The media seems to be picking manu hands down. But Tim is the big daddy, and I think he will prove that when it gets all hectic in games 3-5

NCaliSpurs
06-13-2005, 07:26 PM
Having Manu makes us a special team.

Not having Duncan practically makes us a lottery team.

hendrix
06-13-2005, 07:59 PM
Having Manu makes us a special team.

Not having Duncan practically makes us a lottery team.

Duncan and 11 top US players lost 3 times in last Olympics and the last one against Ginobili and 11 argentines.

Kori Ellis
06-13-2005, 08:01 PM
Duncan and 11 top US players lost 3 times in last Olympics and the last one against Ginobili and 11 argentines.

This is NBA basketball we are talking about. The Olympic experience is a completely separate issue.

TMSKILZ
06-13-2005, 08:07 PM
Yes it is wrong now chadddd-up!

KoriFigasa
06-13-2005, 08:11 PM
But I don't really care who wins it.

Yeah right. :blah :blah :blah

Kori Ellis
06-13-2005, 08:13 PM
Yeah right. :blah :blah :blah

:rolleyes I don't think any fan does -- as long as the Spurs win the series.

But thanks for using my name in your screen name.

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
06-13-2005, 08:20 PM
Is it wrong if I want Duncan to win MVP over Manu?

Yes, all hail the Church of Manu, or else you shall feel His wrath.

T Park
06-13-2005, 08:21 PM
I think Bruce Bowen merits as much consideration as Duncan or GInobili.

If Ginobili get sit, Im happy, if Duncan?? Im happy.

As long as the Spurs are hoisting that LOB and were up all night celebrating, thats all I care about.

1Parker1
06-13-2005, 09:13 PM
Yes, all hail the Church of Manu, or else you shall feel His wrath.

:lol Nice to know that some members of the Church of Manu know how to joke!

hendrix
06-13-2005, 09:19 PM
This is NBA basketball we are talking about. The Olympic experience is a completely separate issue.

Yes, as the regular season is different from the finals (or the post-season).

Brutalis
06-13-2005, 09:42 PM
If Manu was not in this Spurs team, Duncan would still need an allstar of Manu's caliber to win a championship.
Wrong.

Brutalis
06-13-2005, 09:43 PM
Duncans a complete player, Manu is not. The stats show, the glory unfolds. Yadda Yadda. TiMVP21 remains M.. V.. P.

Duncanoypi
06-13-2005, 09:51 PM
Who care about the MVP finals...2 wins are more important!...Lets talk about it after...

mookie2001
06-13-2005, 09:56 PM
yeah for the record duncan gets it barring injury or the statistically impossible;manu scores 50 twice. Duncan is going for his third FMVP, i think he's EARNED IT.

you cant disrespect him like that, even a guy like Tim.

Jimcs50
06-13-2005, 10:01 PM
A defensive player will not win it....that would be like a defensive player winning the Super Bowl MVP.....

oops, my apologies to Randy White and Harvey Martin.

:)

dbreiden83080
06-13-2005, 10:47 PM
I want Timmy to win his 3rd MVP as well, mainly since the media likes to give him shit and i did not want them to have another excuse but it really does not matter. Winning the title is what counts Magic Johnson has 5 titles won 3 mvp awards the others went to Kareem and Worthy, Bird won 3 titles got 2 mvp's the other went to Cedric Maxwell and they are both viewed as b-ball gods so winning is all that matters he has 2 and that is enough he will go down as the greatest PF ever and i think a top 5 player ever period no matter what.

Warlord23
06-14-2005, 12:12 AM
I think there should be a Playoffs MVP award rather than a Finals MVP ... I mean Tim's contributions were really crucial in the Seattle and Phoenix series .. especially Phoenix, when the offfense ran through him in 4th quarters, and Phx either gave up 2 points or had to double him .. either way running the offense through him paid rich dividends.

In this series, it's obvious that Manu is the go-to guy so far, as he's completely ripping into their defense with dribble penetration, Prince just can't keep up with him.

In the end, WGAF about Finals MVP awards ... let's just get that 3rd LoB

MaNuMaNiAc
06-14-2005, 01:12 AM
Whott is the man in this thread! the only one that pays attention to what really matters right now! Shut up about that MVP shit, worry about it when its over 'cause its not like you can do anything about it now!

ShoogarBear
06-14-2005, 01:39 AM
Manu deserves the MVP if the Spurs win and if he continues to play like he has.

Having said that, for the life of me, there has never in the history of the Spurs been a player who causes so much factioning.

To wit:
-Nobody cared if Duncan vs. Robinson won Finals MVP.
-Nobody cared who was getting more accolades between Robinson and Elliott.
-Nobody cared who was getting more props between Gervin, Kenon, or Silas.
-Nobody cared if Coby Dietrick was getting more endorsements than Mark Olberding.

Why TF is it that Manu's individual accomplishments are so much more important than the team's for a signficant portion of the people who post here?

milkyway21
06-14-2005, 02:16 AM
Manu is playing great but I just would like Duncan to win. I cant imagine him as the teams second option but thats how its going and I want Duncan to win it.Manu is amazing. Duncan is in his USUAL quiet self:dominance & consistent play from 1st qtr-4th. But both ARE MVPs to me.

i think Tim will continue to dominate in the next few games. Rasheed can't stop Tim, will it be Detroit or S.A. But, now that Manu has done some crazy things no one had imagined in the 1st two games, surely Detroit are now making plans to stop him in Detroit.I just don't know if they can stop him sucessfully though.

BTW, Mike Monroe answered your question.
here's his answer:

Mike Monroe: There's no reason to pick between Manu and Duncan — both are MVPs

Web Posted: 06/14/2005 12:00 AM CDT

San Antonio Express-News

The crowd at the SBC Center for Game 2 chanted "M-V-P" when Tim Duncan shot free throws with 8:55 remaining.

Spurs fans then chanted "M-V-P" with 3:26 left when Gregg Popovich took Manu Ginobili out of the game.

Do Spurs fans know something the rest of the basketball-loving world is just discovering? The Spurs are dominating the Pistons because they have two players worthy of consideration for Finals MVP.

For all of Ginobili's nearly perfect shooting in Games 1 and 2, Duncan has been equally valuable inside, negating both Ben and Rasheed Wallace. Duncan has outscored both Wallaces 42-31 and nearly outrebounded them, too (28-31).

Applying Larry Bird's formula for determining true value — add points, rebounds, assists, steals and blocks, then deduct missed shots, missed free throws, personal fouls and turnovers — Ginobili has 54 "Birdies" thus far, Duncan 51.

So, take your pick. Perhaps the finals are headed for something like Super Bowl XII, when Dallas' Harvey Martin and Randy White shared MVP honors.

samikeyp
06-14-2005, 10:04 AM
It really doesn't matter. Spurs fans won't be upset over the Finals MVP choice as long as its a Spur because that means they just won the title.

1Parker1
06-14-2005, 10:13 AM
Manu deserves the MVP if the Spurs win and if he continues to play like he has.

Having said that, for the life of me, there has never in the history of the Spurs been a player who causes so much factioning.

To wit:
-Nobody cared if Duncan vs. Robinson won Finals MVP.
-Nobody cared who was getting more accolades between Robinson and Elliott.
-Nobody cared who was getting more props between Gervin, Kenon, or Silas.
-Nobody cared if Coby Dietrick was getting more endorsements than Mark Olberding.

Why TF is it that Manu's individual accomplishments are so much more important than the team's for a signficant portion of the people who post here?

What are you talking about Shoogarbear, Manu>>>>>>>>>>>>Parker, any idiot can see that :lol

WalterBenitez
06-14-2005, 10:14 AM

No only that, different rules, 4q of 10 min, deffense, court and even ball's size, etc.

If we consider who deserve it is one issue.

Who do i like? CO-MVP or Manu = MVP.

WalterBenitez
06-14-2005, 10:18 AM
Sorry, but who select the MVP, what do they take into consideration? any clues?

mookie2001
06-14-2005, 12:17 PM
yeah for the record duncan gets it barring injury or the statistically impossible;manu scores 50 twice. Duncan is going for his third FMVP, i think he's EARNED IT.

you cant disrespect him like that, even a guy like Tim.

youre on the opposite side of fandom in you think tim hasnt earned it