PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Players Getting Injured??

HULKAROCK
06-13-2005, 01:14 PM
The Pistons are angry, broken, discouraged. I'll be the first to admit that as a Pistons fan. But, I think this is going to get ugly. The talk around town is that the Pistons need to get back to being very physical. Last year they were compared to the Bad Boys of 89-90. These guys are not happy. Not happy with coach Brown either. Thugs? Unprofessional? Maybe.. I hope I'm wrong and they come to play with the intensity they once had as a championship team.

samikeyp
06-13-2005, 01:16 PM
If they have to resort to injuring players....then they are already beaten.

sa_butta
06-13-2005, 01:18 PM
Then they will just get in foul trouble and some flagrant fouls, sounds like a winner to me. I dont think the refs will allow that, especially not from Detroit.

kskonn
06-13-2005, 01:20 PM
Every team has said, "we are going to get physical with these guys" after the spurs beat them. detroit is no different. It has back fired on every team that has tried this tactic Detroit will not be any different.

HULKAROCK
06-13-2005, 01:21 PM
If they have to resort to injuring players....then they are already beaten.

I don't think it will come to that, but it may be a last resort. Not intentionally to injure, but when they get bring up their physical game, it tends to get intense. They're not typically that type of team. It will be interesting to see.

SWC Bonfire
06-13-2005, 01:23 PM
Every team has said, "we are going to get physical with these guys" after the spurs beat them. detroit is no different. It has back fired on every team that has tried this tactic Detroit will not be any different.

Ask the Nuggets & Sonics about that...

The sonics had a lot of big men to hack & foul without getting into foul trouble, but if Detroit's Wallaces get in foul trouble they're done. And the sonics had to resort to going small since that didn't work.

GoSpurs21
06-13-2005, 01:27 PM
karma's a bitch....if Detroit has to resort to thuggery they might as well not show up to the game

MiNuS
06-13-2005, 01:32 PM
Their so-call "physical game" has been seen in small sequences throughout the two games BUT the Spurs have answered that with their own physical game. The only thing I can foresee helping the Pistons will be playing in their own arena and having the Piston fans enraged.If the Pistons don't answer the call soon in the first quarters
of game three this thing will be over in less than 5 games.I believe the Spurs will come out with nothing to lose in game 3.

Is it me or does the team run better when Beno is at the point. Also in the last quarter I saw alot of Ginobili at the point guard position. It reminded me alot of Jordan in those Finals vs the Jazz where he always got the ball and then went in for the kill.

At this point I have to say that this Spurs team is better than the Bulls of the second threepeat. They are palying at the same intensity. (I have been watching too much ESPN Classic)

The 80's teams were very differrent from the so call "boring Spurs".
Lakers vs Celtics was BORING! Who teh hell was Rambus! I thought
Rambus was a chip maker for RAM!

SPARKY
06-13-2005, 01:33 PM
Two losses and now Piston Fan is hoping for injuries...

whottt
06-13-2005, 01:33 PM
Danny Fortson Jerome James are bigger thugs than either of the Wallaces'....I doubt Detroit is going to be willing to go as far as Seattle was...

And I don't think you understand your coach very well...or the realtionship between the coach of your team and ours...These guys will burn their own time outs for injuries to the other teams players...

If you guys deliberately injure a Spurs player...not only will the guy most likely get suspended...even if he doesn't...

Larry Brown will pull him off the court and he won't see another second PT in the series...even if costs you guys a title...

And Pop will do the same thing. Kevin Willis threw an elbow against Phoenix in 03...he got suspended by the NBA for 1 game.. he got "suspended" by Pop for the rest of the series. Given the respect between Pop and Brown...I am certain the same will apply here.

Your coach is not going to let you guys thug out, he's going to make you guys lose with class whether you want to or not...accept it. And you might want to try actually outplaying us if you want to win.

Solid D
06-13-2005, 01:34 PM
It may get ugly, but people talking to each other on computers about it doesn't translate to the players and coaches calling the shots.

Winning the "right way" won it for the Pistons last season but purposely injuring or thugging it up isn't playing the "right way", now is it? They were neither thugs, nor unprofessional last season when they won the Championship.

This season, it worked out for the Pistons when Wade and Shaq were infirm, but that didn't have anything to do with Detroit's style of play. It was just bad fortune for Miami. I don't see Detroit affecting the Spurs by physical blows. It hasn't affected them thusfar from Seattle or Denver and it won't against anyone else. It's not proven to do anything other than make the perpetrators look bad.

DDS4
06-13-2005, 01:34 PM
If I were a Piston fan, I would be ashamed.

So badly outplayed, you have to resort to taking out players?

leemajors
06-13-2005, 01:36 PM
at this point you cannot make a comparison between the spurs and the bulls of the second THREEpeat. i love my spurs, but one is not three - and 72 wins is ridiculous. maybe we can discuss this in a few years if we are lucky. we still have a dogfight to play in detroit.

ChumpDumper
06-13-2005, 01:38 PM
Pistons aren't capable of this kind of play. At most there would be a couple of hard fouls, but nothing Fortson-like.

IMO Larry has one foot out the door -- just doesn't seem overly concerned -- and Dumars is holding the door open.

boutons
06-13-2005, 01:45 PM
I agree. These Pistons don't have rep for dirty, flagrant fouling play the way the 89/90 Pistons did. Larry wouldn't call or stand for it. And it's not a very reliable way to win games.

HULKAROCK
06-13-2005, 01:48 PM
Two losses and now Piston Fan is hoping for injuries...

Were there any times in that post that I said I'd "hope for injuries"? I said with this disgruntled group, it's going to get physical. I agree with one of the posts that said Brown won't allow it. I would rather see them win with skill like they've always done. Articles have been writen about what they need to do and becoming more physical to shut them down was the main point.
Don't make me throw a beer on you, SP..sp.. Sparky..

spurs_fan_in_exile
06-13-2005, 01:49 PM
I'm sure I'm echoing a few guys here when I say Larry is too much of a class act for that kind of thing to happen. I wouldn't be surprised if Rasheed just got frustrated and took a swing at someone, but for anyone to go out there looking to take a player out of commission is really unlikely in my mind. I expect things to get more and more physical, but they shouldn't go much further than that.

whottt
06-13-2005, 01:50 PM
I am looking down the Pistons roster...Hulka doesn't seem to have a very good grasp of his own team...

As I look down the Pistons roster I do not see a single Piston I would think is capable of being the cheap shot thug Hulka is looking for.

Ben Wallace isn't even a thug much less a cheap shot thug...

Ditto Prince, Billups and Hamilton...

Rasheed is notorious for melting down...but in his entire career I have never seen him take a cheap shot on a player...I've seen him try to pick a fight and give a hard foul...but I've never seen him try to take a guy out just for outplaying him.

Dice and Campbell aren't going to do it either...neither is Hunter...

About the only guy I see on your roster that might be capable of doing a cheap shot other than Sheed(and I've never seen him do it so he probably doesn't deserve consideration) is Arroyo...and I only think that because he was a Jazz.

Nope...sorry your team is just too classy to be capable of doing what you want them to do..

nkdlunch
06-13-2005, 01:52 PM
These Pistons = "bad boys"? :lmao

How? By having Hamilton protecting his cute face, Prince being Prince, Ben Wallace combing his afro every 5 minutes, and Rasheed having a panic attack and convulsions on the ground for every foul call. these are your "bad boys"? :lol

Joking aside, they are a great team, but bad boys, they will never be.

HULKAROCK
06-13-2005, 01:58 PM
I am looking down the Pistons roster...Hulka doesn't seem to have a very good grasp of his own team...

As I look down the Pistons roster I do not see a single Piston I would think is capable of being the cheap shot thug Hulka is looking for.

Ben Wallace isn't even a thug much less a cheap shot thug...

Ditto Prince, Billups and Hamilton...

Rasheed is notorious for melting down...but in his entire career I have never seen him take a cheap shot on a player...I've seen him try to pick a fight and give a hard foul...but I've never seen him try to take a guy out just for outplaying him.

Dice and Campbell aren't going to do it either...neither is Hunter...

About the only guy I see on your roster that might be capable of doing a cheap shot other than Sheed(and I've never seen him do it so he probably doesn't deserve consideration) is Arroyo...and I only think that because he was a Jazz.

Nope...sorry your team is just too classy to be capable of doing what you want them to do..

Again.. I'm simply posting what was the talk around town. This is not my diabolical plan that I have been working on to injure the Spurs. Just giving my inside point of view from Detroit. Don't take it personally. At least I'm still here
making posts. I am a rare commodity. As far as the team not being a cheap shot type of team, I agree. Rasheed may get fired up enough to do something.

SPARKY
06-13-2005, 02:01 PM
Again.. I'm simply posting what was the talk around town. This is not my diabolical plan that I have been working on to injure the Spurs. Just giving my inside point of view from Detroit. Don't take it personally. At least I'm still here
making posts. I am a rare commodity. As far as the team not being a cheap shot type of team, I agree. Rasheed may get fired up enough to do something.

Again, Piston Fan is hoping for injuries.

desflood
06-13-2005, 02:02 PM
I'd be more worried about the fans than the Pistons. Ever been to Detroit? The Spurs should wear flak jackets everywhere and not leave the hotel except during game times.

whottt
06-13-2005, 02:06 PM
How many times have you seen Rasheed go after another player though?

I am trying to think about it right now...and I am sure it has happened...but I can't think of a single time I have seen him do it...it's always the refs he gets pissed at.

BTW, I am not saying there won't be a fight(which in the NBA is a freaking joke) or something like that...we got guys that get pissed off too.

But the Sonics had guys that will take a player out when he is midair(Fortson)...I don't see any guy on your team that's a thug like that...not even Rasheed.

If anything...I see more players capable of taking a cheap shot on the Spurs than the Pistons...Bruce has had his share of controversy, Big Dogg pushed the limits a couple of times against the Sonics...and Nazr's long and sharp elbows seem to get kind of happy when his teamates are getting treated badly...

I just don't think it's going to turn into that kind of series like the bad boys used to play...there will definitely be some tough and physical D on the part of both teams....but in case you haven't noticed...the series has already been that way...Manu and Duncan are just good on offense...and when you got Barry and Horry out there helping them whizz the ball around on the perimeter at light speed...it'll make even a great defense looks slow.

HULKAROCK
06-13-2005, 02:09 PM
Again, Piston Fan is hoping for injuries.

Yeah.. I think there was a guy at Champps on Thursday that mentioned some Sparky clown that was from Texas that likes to read into everything that is written. I guess it's called, Sparktology. Bud Light??

HULKAROCK
06-13-2005, 02:16 PM
I'd be more worried about the fans than the Pistons. Ever been to Detroit? The Spurs should wear flak jackets everywhere and not leave the hotel except during game times.

They'll be no where near Detroit. As far as their hotel, they're staying in Birmingham. All the big wigs stay at this place. Very upscale neighborhood. As much of a bad image Detroit has, the surrounding burbs are very nice.
It's not a low income community. Anyway. Getting back to the point. There was a period last year when they had to step it up and start throwing bodies around. They need to try anything at this point.

SPARKY
06-13-2005, 02:28 PM
Yeah.. I think there was a guy at Champps on Thursday that mentioned some Sparky clown that was from Texas that likes to read into everything that is written. I guess it's called, Sparktology. Bud Light??

Just reading what was written.

Not a frequenter of Champ's nor Bud Light. Enjoy both to your heart's desire for all I care.

Extra Stout
06-13-2005, 04:18 PM
The Pistons team is not a bunch of cheap shot artists. They may play a little more physical knowing they'll get the calls, but there is no Danny Fortson on the roster.

I wouldn't put it past the fans in the stands to start chucking D-cells at the Spurs bench, however.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
06-13-2005, 04:23 PM
Change the title of this thread, it sounds moronic. No one around here is talking about injuring the Spurs' players..

Solid D
06-13-2005, 04:23 PM
The Pistons team is not a bunch of cheap shot artists. They may play a little more physical knowing they'll get the calls, but there is no Danny Fortson on the roster.

I wouldn't put it past the fans in the stands to start chucking D-cells at the Spurs bench, however.

I doubt that Extra Stout, but I have a feeling if they did throw batteries, they would miss...true to form thusfar.

TNT21
06-13-2005, 04:25 PM
Do you think Manu is scared? This man is a walking contusion and as long as they don't "Tonya Harding" his ass, he's gonna bring it with all that he's got.

2centsworth
06-13-2005, 04:26 PM
Change the title of this thread, it sounds moronic. No one around here is talking about injuring the Spurs' players..
I've read a few boards and haven't seen it mentioned once. They do talk about hitting Manu or Tony on drives, but don't think Spurs mind that too much. Easier for Manu to score at the line which is what the spurs will need on the road.

06-13-2005, 04:31 PM
I've read a few boards and haven't seen it mentioned once. They do talk about hitting Manu or Tony on drives, but don't think Spurs mind that too much. Easier for Manu to score at the line which is what the spurs will need on the road.

Most of the talk around here is: Missed lay-ups, composure, if the players have tuned LB out, officiating, hard fouls, etc.

SPARKY
06-13-2005, 04:33 PM
Hey, maybe the Spurs are a somewhat better team than Piston Fan realized...

nkdlunch
06-13-2005, 04:34 PM
Do you think Manu is scared? This man is a walking contusion and as long as they don't "Tonya Harding" his ass, he's gonna bring it with all that he's got.

True, I posted this a while ago...

Bahia Blanca.
Estudiantes, with a skillfull skinny and brave kid that came in scoring 25 points a game at 19 years was the story of the season, his team received the glorious Atenas. One of the centers, strong, rough and ex-player in the national team prepared to let this kid, Manu Ginobili know that it would not be so easy to score points this time. "The first time he came in the lane, I dropped him strong to the floor. I thought that was enough. A few minutes later he came at me again, one on one, I had to drop him again... I never thought he would be so brave. A little later he came straight to me with all his might, he jumped so high and if I hadn't moved my head he would have hit it with his knee. It was going straight to my mouth. That's when I realized he was a phenom." the ex-player said.

In the NBA, and especially in Denver, it seems they still don't realize. Ginobili was hit violently, Karl critizized him harshly and the fans booed him the other night each time he had the ball. To Manu, the hits and the hostility encourage him, motivate him and pump him up. The more they hit him the more important he feels, he concentrates more and transforms from victim to criminal. He is merciless, he lights up and charges; he doesn't loose tactical, emotional or psychological control. He finds the best in him. How many athletes would pay to have that mentality?

Manu provokes impotence and then chaos on his opponent. And eventhough he shows pain, inside he seems to enjoy it. Few know that because of this attitude and risky style of play he was taken out in a stretcher and hospitalized a few years ago in Bahia Blanca, after dunking and hitting his head on the floor. His mother knows best and never goes to see him or watches his games in tv. She is always afraid he will get hurt. Its his mom.

06-13-2005, 04:36 PM
Hey, maybe the Spurs are a somewhat better team than Piston Fan realized...

True, but most won't admit that until the series is over. It usually comes down to what your team isn't doing well, as opposed to what the other team is doing well.

rr2418
06-13-2005, 04:51 PM
The Pistons are angry, broken, discouraged. I'll be the first to admit that as a Pistons fan. But, I think this is going to get ugly. The talk around town is that the Pistons need to get back to being very physical. Last year they were compared to the Bad Boys of 89-90. These guys are not happy. Not happy with coach Brown either. Thugs? Unprofessional? Maybe.. I hope I'm wrong and they come to play with the intensity they once had as a championship team.

You might have something there Hulk, I heard on 760AM this morning in an interview with Cheryl Miller, that that's what probably is needed to be done, take out a player. Pasacrita asked her,"You mean hurt a player?", and she said,"What ever it takes to win! Hell, this is for the NBA championship!". I was thinking the same thing after the game. I know the Sonics, and the Suns all said they would be physical, but the Pistons are more physical then any of those teams, so it might be true.

5ToolMan
06-13-2005, 05:12 PM
Is it me or does the team run better when Beno is at the point. Also in the last quarter I saw alot of Ginobili at the point guard position. It reminded me alot of Jordan in those Finals vs the Jazz where he always got the ball and then went in for the kill.
Beno is a true point guard who often distributes better, and is certainly a better long range shooter than Tony. He also has great feel for the pace of play needed for the team to excel. Where Tony beats Beno is in his ability to penetrate and finish at the rim. At this stage, Tony is also much stronger team defender.

Manu has ran the point often this year, especially in the 4th with games on the line. His finishing results, like you see in this series, would rank with the best percentages of all time. Since the Spurs were on their way to setting a record for the margin of victory before Tim went down, games were just not on the line often.

2centsworth
06-13-2005, 05:21 PM
she said,"What ever it takes to win! Hell, this is for the NBA championship!". I was thinking the same thing after the game. I know the Sonics, and the

Don't you know it's right up there with curing cancer?