PDA

View Full Version : China had unit 731, USA had Guatemala

cheguevara
08-31-2011, 08:52 AM
:lol at americans claiming japanese are savages due to experiments on chinese by unit 731.

They were doing pretty much the same thing to Guatemalans. and they weren't even at war with them :lol

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/29/guatemala-experiments_n_941284.html

Guatemala Experiments: Syphilis Infections, Other Shocking Details Revealed About U.S. Medical Experiments

ATLANTA -- A presidential panel on Monday disclosed shocking new details of U.S. medical experiments done in Guatemala in the 1940s, including a decision to re-infect a dying woman in a syphilis study.

The Guatemala experiments are already considered one of the darker episodes of medical research in U.S. history, but panel members say the new information indicates that the researchers were unusually unethical, even when placed into the historical context of a different era.

"The researchers put their own medical advancement first and human decency a far second," said Anita Allen, a member of the Presidential Commission for the Study of Bioethical Issues.

From 1946-48, the U.S. Public Health Service and the Pan American Sanitary Bureau worked with several Guatemalan government agencies to do medical research – paid for by the U.S. government – that involved deliberately exposing people to sexually transmitted diseases.

The researchers apparently were trying to see if penicillin, then relatively new, could prevent infections in the 1,300 people exposed to syphilis, gonorrhea or chancroid. Those infected included soldiers, prostitutes, prisoners and mental patients with syphilis.

The commission revealed Monday that only about 700 of those infected received some sort of treatment. Also, 83 people died, although it's not clear if the deaths were directly due to the experiments.

The research came up with no useful medical information, according to some experts. It was hidden for decades but came to light last year, after a Wellesley College medical historian discovered records among the papers of Dr. John Cutler, who led the experiments.

President Barack Obama called Guatemala's president, Alvaro Colom, to apologize. He also ordered his bioethics commission to review the Guatemala experiments. That work is nearly done. Though the final report is not due until next month, commission members discussed some of the findings at a meeting Monday in Washington.

They revealed that some of the experiments were more shocking than was previously known.

For example, seven women with epilepsy, who were housed at Guatemala's Asilo de Alienados (Home for the Insane), were injected with syphilis below the back of the skull, a risky procedure. The researchers thought the new infection might somehow help cure epilepsy. The women each got bacterial meningitis, probably as a result of the unsterile injections, but were treated.

Perhaps the most disturbing details involved a female syphilis patient with an undisclosed terminal illness. The researchers, curious to see the impact of an additional infection, infected her with gonorrhea in her eyes and elsewhere. Six months later she died.

Dr. Amy Gutmann, head of the commission, described the case as "chillingly egregious."

During that time, other researchers were also using people as human guinea pigs, in some cases infecting them with illnesses. Studies weren't as regulated then, and the planning-on-the-fly feel of Cutler's work was not unique, some experts have noted.

But panel members concluded that the Guatemala research was bad even by the standards of the time. They compared the work to a 1943 experiment by Cutler and others in which prison inmates were infected with gonorrhea in Terre Haute, Ind. The inmates were volunteers who were told what was involved in the study and gave their consent. The Guatemalan participants – or many of them – received no such explanations and did not give informed consent, the commission said.

The commission is working on a second report examining federally funded international studies to make sure current research is being done ethically. That report is expected at the end of the year.

Meanwhile, the Guatemalan government has vowed to do its own investigation into the Cutler study. A spokesman for Vice President Rafael Espada said the report should be done by November.

___

Associated Press writer Sonia Perez in Guatemala City contributed to this report.

xellos88330
08-31-2011, 08:59 AM
Why the fuck should Obama apologize. The Guatemalan government was paid to conduct the experiments. If anything, the Guatemalan government should be apologizing to its people for being so damn greedy.

in2deep
08-31-2011, 09:14 AM
they were curious so they gave her gonorrhea in the eyes!!!

goddam hope those bastards are burning and getting gonorrhea in hell

in2deep
08-31-2011, 09:18 AM
Why the fuck should Obama apologize. The Guatemalan government was paid to conduct the experiments. If anything, the Guatemalan government should be apologizing to its people for being so damn greedy.

good for Obama. yeah the guatemalan goverment got paid and did not give a shit what was going on. But it was the USA that did the crime.

RandomGuy
08-31-2011, 09:24 AM
Unit 731 was Japanese, not Chinese.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unit_731

baseline bum
08-31-2011, 09:45 AM

So if my neighbor lets me rape his daughter for $50, I'm in the clear?

cheguevara
08-31-2011, 09:47 AM
Unit 731 was Japanese, not Chinese.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unit_731

true. got them switched up

Japanese = Nazis = Americans during those times?

RandomGuy
08-31-2011, 09:53 AM
true. got them switched up

Japanese = Nazis = Americans during those times?

As nasty as the firebombings and atomic weapons were, they kind of paled in comparison to the outright slaughter perpetrated by the SS/Wermacht and Imperial Armies.

I would not equate them.

cheguevara
08-31-2011, 09:55 AM
well I was talking about in the medical/warfare research/experiments field.

I mean not much can be more brutal than purposefully injecting gonhorea in the eyes or bacterial meningitis in the skull

boutons_deux
08-31-2011, 10:02 AM
"Guatemalan government was paid"

yep, just commerce like any other. Humans are just products and test animals, like any other.

vy65
08-31-2011, 10:03 AM
I mean not much can be more brutal than purposefully injecting gonhorea in the eyes or bacterial meningitis in the skull

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-8z6st9UE3IM/TcDIkA8C0JI/AAAAAAAABUI/bc1-O9qLuDg/s1600/Arbeit-macht-frei2.jpg

hater
08-31-2011, 10:18 AM
The Tuskegee syphilis experiment[1] (also known as the Tuskegee syphilis study or Public Health Service syphilis study) was an infamous clinical study conducted between 1932 and 1972 in Tuskegee, Alabama by the U.S. Public Health Service to study the natural progression of untreated syphilis in poor, rural black men who thought they were receiving free health care from the U.S. government.[1]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuskegee_syphilis_experiment

not surprising

cheguevara
08-31-2011, 10:40 AM
sup fatty. I contribute to the world on a daily basis. Just done donating to Somalia.

what have you done to contribute to the world besides pondering wether to call INS on a family of illegals and requesting help from the forum on the topic of insomnia? :lol

cheguevara
08-31-2011, 10:45 AM
as I said. I contribute to the world:
Dear Madam, dear Sir,

THANK YOU FOR YOUR DONATION TO THE INTERNATIONAL COMMITTEE OF THE RED CROSS (ICRC)!

Your transaction has been successful. Here are the details of your donation as received by our secure server.

what have you done?

cheguevara
08-31-2011, 10:49 AM
:tu

cheguevara
08-31-2011, 10:53 AM
I will someday :(

Borat Sagyidev
08-31-2011, 11:17 AM
you made the money you donated to the red cross by feeding off the white man's pee pee though

what have i done? just went to class so i can wrap up my last year of college and make a lot more money than you. btw i've contributed to society plenty through the years by working beanerish jobs to put myself through college. hard, shitty work and barely got paid.

:lmao

Unemployment for college grads, is about 30% and higher in some places.

Lots of more money? I get a kick out people like you, everytime you call INS, that same job just gets deported to China.

Then you wonder why money is leaving in the country. You're blind yet "principled" self is going to be stuck paying off baby boomers retirement funds.

DarkReign
08-31-2011, 02:32 PM
I would not equate the OP's article to anything seen in Nazi Concentration Camps or Unit 731.

They were tearing people apart piece by bloody piece, by the thousands/millions.

Injecting people with STDs is certainly nothing to be proud of (quite the opposite), but by no means anything nearing the scale and slaughter of the aforementioned scenarios.

cheguevara
08-31-2011, 02:46 PM
yup. getting injected gohnorrea in the eyes is a picnic.

lefty
08-31-2011, 02:48 PM
:lol

DarkReign
08-31-2011, 03:50 PM

Hyperbole.

You tried (and failed) to equate US inhumane experiments to that of the Nazi regime and Imperial Japan.

Where anyone without an agenda can see the glaring difference. One could argue moral relativism being inconsequential to the comparison, but that isnt your position.

At this point, I dont know what your position even is.

Moreover, speaking broadly, there isnt a powerful government in civilized history that doesnt have its share of black marks and egregious doings. That you should find such enjoyment out of picking the biggest fish on the menu to cook speaks more to your narrowed agenda than it does to the subject matter you present.

cheguevara
08-31-2011, 10:45 PM
Hyperbole.

You tried (and failed) to equate US inhumane experiments to that of the Nazi regime and Imperial Japan.

Where anyone without an agenda can see the glaring difference. One could argue moral relativism being inconsequential to the comparison, but that isnt your position.

At this point, I dont know what your position even is.

Moreover, speaking broadly, there isnt a powerful government in civilized history that doesnt have its share of black marks and egregious doings. That you should find such enjoyment out of picking the biggest fish on the menu to cook speaks more to your narrowed agenda than it does to the subject matter you present.

sorry but to a non-homer unbiased human being getting injected in the eyes with ghonorrea or getting an injection of bacteria in the spinal cord is pretty much equivalent to being put in a gas chamber or being dipped in acid, or being put in the operation table as a learning tool. all equivalent to me.

again this is just discussing medical experimental field. apples to apples between nazi/japanese/american "doctors".

again, not comparing regimes, goverments or even military.

vy65
09-01-2011, 09:46 AM
lol che showing how the taco lard has filled his fucking skull and made him say dumber shit than usual.

If you think that US tests done for the purpose of trying to help people = the holocaust, then you're truly fucking retarded:

The researchers apparently were trying to see if penicillin, then relatively new, could prevent infections in the 1,300 people exposed to syphilis, gonorrhea or chancroid. Those infected included soldiers, prostitutes, prisoners and mental patients with syphilis.

Was the program great? Clearly not. But to think that is in any way the same as a government turning on its own citizens, interning and forcing them to work, and reducing them to a fucking animal is probably the dumbest fucking thing I've ever heard - even from a dumb fat beaner.

lol medical experiment holocaust
lol fat beaner
lol stfu and eat more tacos

cheguevara
09-01-2011, 09:48 AM
:lol "help people"

so to help the white man it's ok to sacrifice a few brown beaners :lol

vy65
09-01-2011, 09:51 AM
:lol "help people"

so to help the white man it's ok to sacrifice a few brown beaners :lol

Sure.

Lol same thing as the holocaust
Lol can't read articles written in English

vy65
09-01-2011, 09:56 AM
If Che was any smart, you'd have thought he would have mentioned the internment of Japanese at some point in this thread . . .