PDA

View Full Version : Karl Malone shot .463 in the playoffs over his career.

midnightpulp
09-01-2011, 02:18 PM
He shot .435 over the playoffs in his first ever run to the NBA Finals.

He shot 8-22, missed 6 freethrows (in a game decided by 4 points), and grabbed 5 rebounds in Game 7 of the 1996 Western Conference Finals.

After Shawn Kemp destroyed Malone in the aforementioned game, Jordan crowned Kemp as the league's best power forward. Also worth noting is that John Stockton out rebounded Malone in that game.

Jeff Hornacek's career playoff FG% is higher than Karl Malone's.

As they say, discuss.

Ed Helicopter Jones
09-01-2011, 02:19 PM
Wait...I thought he and Barkley were both better PFs than Duncan!!

lefty
09-01-2011, 02:21 PM
We all know Malone was a choker

Stockton was their clutch guy

Bill_Brasky
09-01-2011, 02:21 PM
He also is a terrible father and person.

lefty
09-01-2011, 02:23 PM
Meh

Like most NBA players

Bill_Brasky
09-01-2011, 02:28 PM
Meh

Like most blacks

That's incredibly racist, Lefty.

but true

BRHornet45
09-01-2011, 02:33 PM
my God this kid is mad at Malone

lol son why don't you pick on any of the other dozens and dozens of players who have better career numbers than Duncan? why do you hate Malone so much? ... I bet its because you know the truth ;)

Bill_Brasky
09-01-2011, 02:34 PM
my god this kid is mad at malone

lol son why don't you pick on any of the other dozens and dozens of players who have better career numbers than duncan? Why do you hate malone so much? ... I bet its because you know the truth ;)

BRHornet45
09-01-2011, 02:35 PM
lol 13 and 8

ElNono
09-01-2011, 02:37 PM
sup zebra... did your team get an owner yet? crofl

lefty
That's incredibly racist, Lefty.

but true
:lol

lefty
lol 13 and 8
lol WSCF
lol 63-121

midnightpulp
09-01-2011, 02:40 PM
Lol Karl Malone.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/199405290UTA.html

The Jazz are at home with a chance to even the series, and what does Malone do?

Goes 9-23 for 25 points and misses 4 FTs in a game decided by 2 points. Meanwhile, that supporting cast of his who supposedly never gave him any help played well enough. Stockton went 6-12 for 17 points, Hornacek went 6-13 for 18 points, and David Benoit chimed in with 11, and Felton Spencer played some strong defense against the Dream, holding him to 16 points on 6-18 shooting.

Why did the Jazz lose this game?

Karl Malone.

baseline bum
09-01-2011, 03:26 PM
LOL @ Malone falling on his ass as Jordan stole the 98 title from him. Stockton did all he could to drag Warm Karl kicking and screaming to that title, including hitting what should have been the game-winning three a few seconds earlier. And then Malone turns the ball over on the block on the Jazz' very next possession and Jordan sticks the dagger. To this day I bet he has never apologized to Stockton for screwing him out of a ring.

lefty
09-01-2011, 03:33 PM
lol @ malone falling on his ass as jordan stole the 98 title from him. Stockton did all he could to drag warm karl kicking and screaming to that title, including hitting what should have been the game-winning three a few seconds earlier. And then malone turns the ball over on the block on the jazz' very next possession and jordan sticks the dagger. To this day i bet he has never apologized to stockton for screwing him out of a ring.
+1

DUNCANownsKOBE
09-01-2011, 03:34 PM
Stockton did pleny to screw himself out of a ring, the difference is he's an undersized honky ":cry unselfish pass first PG:cry" so people never blame him.

dirk4mvp
09-01-2011, 03:38 PM
dok, stickin to his guns.

baseline bum
09-01-2011, 03:42 PM
Not Stockton's fault Malone took care of the ball like it was his kid in the 98 Finals.

DUNCANownsKOBE
09-01-2011, 03:44 PM
Not Malone's fault Stockton cared more about getting the all time assist record than winning a championship.

Malone was a stat whoring choker, and so was Stockton.

lefty
09-01-2011, 03:50 PM
Not Stockton's fault Malone took care of the ball like it was his kid in the 98 Finals.
I agree

But that play calling, at this moment of the game, was retarded TBH

Hornacek going backdoor, allowing Jordan to get closer to Malone ...

Bill_Brasky
09-01-2011, 04:02 PM
Not Malone's fault Stockton cared more about getting the all time assist record than winning a championship.

Saying PG's don't have ability to be game changers/leaders, then blaming losses on them seems kinda hypocritical imo

Unless you wanna clarify exactly what you mean when you shit on the PG position

Not saying Stockton didn't choke or that some of those losses weren't on him tbh

DUNCANownsKOBE
09-01-2011, 04:05 PM
Saying PG's don't have ability to be game changers/leaders, then blaming losses on them seems kinda hypocritical imo

Yeah, blaming losses on a ball hog who has the ball in has hands 95% of the time is hypocritical :rolleyes:

Bill_Brasky
09-01-2011, 04:22 PM

Yeah, blaming losses on a ball hog who has the ball in has hands 95% of the time is hypocritical :rolleyes:

These two statements do not mesh well, at all.

DUNCANownsKOBE
09-01-2011, 04:32 PM
These two statements do not mesh well, at all.
yes they do if you know jack shit about basketball. You need to dominate the ball and over dribble when you are an assist whore. The more you have the ball in your hands, the more assist opportunities arise, no?

Why are they're so many stupid people who think tons of assists don't require dominating the ball? Why is it the assist leaders in the NBA every year are players who have the ball in their hands all the time? Is it just a coincidence? It's a pretty simple concept, you need to dominate the ball to rack up assists, just like you do to rack up points.

Bill_Brasky
09-01-2011, 04:39 PM
yes they do if you know jack shit about basketball. You need to dominate the ball and over dribble when you are an assist whore. The more you have the ball in your hands, the more assist opportunities arise, no?

Why are they're so many stupid people who think tons of assists don't require dominating the ball? Why is it the assist leaders in the NBA every year are players who have the ball in their hands all the time? Is it just a coincidence? It's a pretty simple concept, you need to dominate the ball to rack up assists, just like you do to rack up points.

And anyone who has ever played basketball knows that when you use the term "ball hog", you are referring to someone who shoots way too much instead of passing the ball.

Deuce Bigalow
09-01-2011, 04:40 PM
Duncan shot .464% FG in the 2005 Playoffs
lol

midnightpulp
09-01-2011, 04:41 PM
:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao yes they do if you know jack shit about basketball. You need to dominate the ball and over dribble when you are an assist whore. Jesus Christ why are they're so many stupid people who think tons of assists don't require dominating the ball? Why is it the assist leaders in the NBA every year are players who have the ball in their hands all the time? Is it just a coincidence?

Brasky's my nigga, but DoK is correct here. Larry Bird was ten times the playmaker Stockton was, but averaged considerably less assists. We also saw this ball dominating, assist whore mentality when Wilt Chamberlain decided one season, as retaliation against the claims he was a ball hog, to lead the league in assists, which often had him passing up open fuckin' shots to dish out an assist. Just because he filled up the assist column, doesn't mean he wasn't a selfish player.

That said, I do think DoK is underrating Stockton. He ran Sloan's offense the way it was intended and really never got out of line with too many stupid or selfish plays. He was also a heck of a defender for his position. Most of today's PGs take that side of the ball off.

DUNCANownsKOBE
09-01-2011, 04:42 PM
And anyone who has ever played basketball knows that when you use the term "ball hog", you are referring to someone who shoots way too much instead of passing the ball.
That's your counter argument? A semantics complaint over use of the term "ball hog"? The literal definition of a "ball hog" is someone who hogs the ball, which Stockton did plenty of.

Bill_Brasky
09-01-2011, 04:43 PM
That's your counter argument? A semantics complaint over use of the term "ball hog"? The literal definition of a "ball hog" is someone who hogs the ball, which Stockton did plenty of.

You mean a starting PG had the ball in his hands more than any other player on the team? Wow, what a revelation.

DUNCANownsKOBE
09-01-2011, 04:44 PM
Brasky's my nigga, but DoK is correct here. Larry Bird was ten times the playmaker Stockton was, but averaged considerably less assists. We also saw this ball dominating, assist whore mentality when Wilt Chamberlain decided one season, as retaliation against the claims he was a ball hog, to lead the league in assists, which often had him passing up open fuckin' shots to dish out an assist. Just because he filled up the assist column, doesn't mean he wasn't a selfish player.

That said, I do think DoK is underrating Stockton. He ran Sloan's offense the way it was intended and really never got out of line with too many stupid or selfish plays. He was also a heck of a defender for his position. Most of today's PGs take that side of the ball off.
I've seen clips of Stockton where he would fuckin pass up open layups to rifle it back out to Hornacek to take a 20 footer hoping it would get him an assist. Bullshit he never got out of line with selfish plays.

DUNCANownsKOBE
09-01-2011, 04:45 PM
You mean a starting PG had the ball in his hands more than any other player on the team? Wow, what a revelation.
Stockton would over dribble and run the shot clock out looking for an assist. It's no less selfish than iverson dribbling the shot clock out looking for a shot. Pretty simple concept for most people.

ElNono
09-01-2011, 04:46 PM
Can we all agree Stockton was class :cry :cry :cry

DUNCANownsKOBE
09-01-2011, 04:48 PM
Btw Malone is just as overrated as Stockton if not more IMO. The 1997 and 1998 Jazz should thank Michael Jordan since being known as the :crygreat fucking runner ups to Michael Jordan:cry make people think of the Jazz as a team way better than they actually were.

z0sa
09-01-2011, 04:49 PM
People call legendary pass first point guards ball hogs now? ROFL. Dominating the ball because everyone wants the ball to be in your hands will NEVER be ball hogging.

Stockton would over dribble and run the shot clock out looking for an assist.

cool anecdote, bro.

midnightpulp
09-01-2011, 04:49 PM
I've seen clips of Stockton where he would fuckin pass up open layups to rifle it back out to Hornacek to take a 20 footer hoping it would get him an assist. Bullshit he never got out of line with selfish plays.

Never said he was above being selfish, just said that there aren't too many instances where you'll see Stockton being a dumbfuck.

DUNCANownsKOBE
09-01-2011, 04:52 PM
Never said he was above being selfish, just said that there aren't too many instances where you'll see Stockton being a dumbfuck.
He wasn't being dumb. He knew how dumb white would view him if he got the assist record. Just like Steve Nash does.

Undersized white guy with the most assists of all time = :crygreat fucking unselfish class act:cry

midnightpulp
09-01-2011, 04:52 PM
Btw Malone is just as overrated as Stockton if not more IMO. The 1997 and 1998 Jazz should thank Michael Jordan since being known as the :crygreat fucking runner ups to Michael Jordan:cry make people think of the Jazz as a team way better than they actually were.

Agreed. The 98 Utah team should've won that series. No doubt.

And in addition to people believing the '98 Jazz were better than actually were because :cry they lost to Jordan, you have morons like BR and lakaluva thinking Karl Malone was better than he actually was.

DUNCANownsKOBE
09-01-2011, 04:54 PM

And in addition to people believing the '98 Jazz were better than actually were because :cry they lost to Jordan, you have morons like BR and lakaluva thinking Karl Malone was better than he actually was.
Malone gets overrated moreso than anybody else on that team but they all have become overrated for losing the Michael Jordan.

Jerry Sloan is a glorified Mike D'antoni and he's considered a HOF coach by some for :crylosing to Jordan:cry

Bill_Brasky
09-01-2011, 05:00 PM
Stockton would over dribble and run the shot clock out looking for an assist. It's no less selfish than iverson dribbling the shot clock out looking for a shot. Pretty simple concept for most people.

Even if that's true, I doubt youre old enough to remember seeing them play, and they don't keep stats on "times he dribbled the clock out and did something dumb", so it's kind of pointless to argue.

He was overrated, and he did choke, but he was a quality player, and not a shitty fasha like that dumbfuck Malone.

DUNCANownsKOBE
09-01-2011, 05:02 PM
Even if that's true, I doubt youre old enough to remember seeing them play
When you can't dispute the information, dispute the source

midnightpulp
09-01-2011, 05:09 PM
Anyhow, lol at Karl Malone again:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/199806050UTA.html

At home, with a chance to go up 2-0 on the Bulls. What does BR's lover do?

Scores 16 points on a pathetic 5-16 shooting in a game that was decided by 5 points.

Oh, but they lost because the Bulls had :cry Michael Jordan :cry.

DUNCANownsKOBE
09-01-2011, 05:12 PM
John Stockton with a whopping 9 points and 7 assists :lol

Bill_Brasky
09-01-2011, 05:15 PM
When you can't dispute the information, dispute the source

When the source is hearsay on a sports forum, its not hard.

DUNCANownsKOBE
09-01-2011, 05:16 PM
When the source is hearsay on a sports forum, its not hard.
Doesn't matter who the source is, you'd dispute the information itself if you could.

midnightpulp
09-01-2011, 05:16 PM
John Stockton with a whopping 9 points and 7 assists :lol

Lol.

Hornacek was the man that game.

jacobdrj
09-01-2011, 05:18 PM

He shot 8-22, missed 6 freethrows (in a game decided by 4 points), and grabbed 5 rebounds in Game 7 of the 1996 Western Conference Finals.

After Shawn Kemp destroyed Malone in the aforementioned game, Jordan crowned Kemp as the league's best power forward. Also worth noting is that John Stockton out rebounded Malone in that game.

As they say, discuss.

I love Malone's game, in general. But I don't disagree with any of those points: Malone was a choker (Jerry Slone didn't help much in this regard, he wasn't much of a game manager, nor did he recognize when Malone was choking and try to tell him to play smarter, closer to the basket). Shawn Kemp WAS the best PF in the NBA in 1996. Bar none. He made that Seattle team, in SPITE of George Karl. Kemp is the guy that made Gary Payton look good. John Stockton held those Jazz teams together by the skin of his teeth... If only he had some more help, and not been so reliant on Karl Malone for points in the paint, they may have won a title or 2...

midnightpulp
09-01-2011, 05:30 PM
Doesn't matter who the source is, you'd dispute the information itself if you could.

To substantiate both claims on either side would require us to go back and revisit every one of Stockton's games, or at the very least, the important playoff ones.

Maybe my memory fails me, but Stockton played the point guard in the context of Sloan's system in nearly ideal fashion. I'm no great fan of Stockton, nor do I think Malone denied him a ring, nor do I think his assist record is something to be amazed at, since I do believe the assist is the most overrated stat in basketball, but I don't think he was a selfish stat padder (maybe he was, I just don't remember him being one). Any decent point guard would've piled up the assists in Sloan's system playing alongside Karl Malone, since Sloan seemed to forget every other play in his book besides the pick 'n roll.

Bill_Brasky
09-01-2011, 05:52 PM

Factual information must exist in order to be disputed. In this case, there is none.

Koolaid_Man
09-01-2011, 06:33 PM

BR has reduced you to the chicken shit cherry picker that you are....deal with it..

DMC
09-01-2011, 08:28 PM

So when he was in LA, there was a chucker and a choker on the same team?

DMC
09-01-2011, 08:29 PM
BR has reduced you to the chicken shit cherry picker that you are....deal with it..
lol legriding BR due to lack of funds

midnightpulp
01-05-2012, 01:26 AM
He's the better than Duncan though because he played till he was 40.

Spur_Fanatic
01-05-2012, 01:35 AM
wtf with the necro?

midnightpulp
01-05-2012, 01:41 AM
wtf with the necro?

Figure it out.

Sean Cagney
01-05-2012, 01:50 AM
MABLOWN! THE MAILMAN does not deliver on Sundays as PIPPEN SAID, he went out there to prove him right afterwards choking! Most would get mad and step it up, he went out there to choke it up.

BTW DEUCE DO NOT START ON % there, Kobe in some FINALS COT DAMN!!!!!!!! LOL.
lol

Kobe shot below 40% in two finals series bro..... LOL. :lol

SORRY had to do this to you.

Ace
01-05-2012, 02:42 AM
:lol History2b on Malone's nuts

j-money24
01-05-2012, 04:52 AM
Malone >>>>> Duncan

dunkman
01-05-2012, 06:22 AM
lol

He was playing injured. Timmy took care of the Pistons, though.

TDMVPDPOY
01-05-2012, 06:50 AM
how come malone didnt stay with the jazz instead of bolting to the lakers to chase a ring?

i thought the jizz had a good squad in 03/04....

Koolaid_Man
01-05-2012, 08:55 AM

As they say, discuss.

this all I remember:

7bsuLF0DqzU

Killakobe81
01-05-2012, 12:20 PM

This ...

Killakobe81
01-05-2012, 12:21 PM

Who cares?! your not his daughter or friend ...

dunkman
01-05-2012, 03:33 PM
Tbh Malone was fouled very often, he's like top two all time in FTA's. Not as savagely as he knew to foul, though.

Bill_Brasky
01-05-2012, 03:35 PM
Who cares?! your not his daughter or friend ...

Dude, the n!gga is RICH and he didn't even ACKNOWLEDGE his own son. That is some cold blooded shit right there.