PDA

View Full Version : RC Chatting Live, Saying Little Right Now

DisciplinaryOffice
09-01-2011, 02:35 PM
I challenge you to get him to say something interesting or newsworthy:

http://www.nba.com/spurs/rc_buford_live_chat_110901.html

Mel_13
09-01-2011, 02:42 PM
With this rule in force, there's no way anything newsworthy will come out of this session:

*Due to league rules RC will be unable to answer questions pertaining to active NBA players or the current labor situation.

DisciplinaryOffice
09-01-2011, 02:45 PM
Oh, that's part of the fun of trying to make it happen. Unclear as to whether it applies to players we have rights to, so I've been trying to get him to say something about some of our overseas prospects.

ElNono
09-01-2011, 02:53 PM
Did anybody ask him when is the next PollyAnna Poppers coffee and tea meeting?

MaNu4Tres
09-01-2011, 02:59 PM

:lol

DisciplinaryOffice
09-01-2011, 03:00 PM
Pasting in the chat transcript below. Trust someone will let me know if that's not kosher.

RC Buford Live Chat - 9/1/2011

Wednesday August 31, 2011
4:59
Please join us for a special live web chat with Spurs GM RC Buford Thursday, Sept. 1 at 2pm CT right here. You may send in any questions in advance now.

Thursday September 1, 2011
1:40
Spurs.com: Welcome to today's special event live chat with RC Buford. He'll be joining us in about 15 minutes, but feel free to get your questions in now.

1:47
RC Buford: test

1:48
Spurs.com: RC's here and we're about to get started! We'll wait until 2pm and then get rolling.
1:59
Spurs.com: Ok. Let's get this started! Please welcome Spurs GM RC Buford.
2:02
RC Buford: Good afternoon! I’m glad to be here and talking to the fans. Unfortunately, due to the current labor situation I’ll be unable to answer some of the specific questions you might ask concerning the NBA.
Comment From Mark
Hi, what do you think the Spurs need the most right now personnel-wise in order to compete for a championship again?
RC Buford: Mark – To answer your question, you have to be playing well and healthy at the right time, and unfortunately that wasn’t the case for us during the 2011 Playoffs.
2:05
Comment From Brian of Manila
You and Coach Pop have known each other for so many years now.. You guys have already won several championships, what are the other achievements that you and pop want for the Spurs organization to get in the future? and how does it motivates you guys? thanks
2:06
RC Buford: Brian - First and foremost, the guiding principles around our organization have always been to build a team that represents the city of San Antonio and the Spurs organization in a positive way. Championships are the goal of every team and every organization, however we hope to strive for building future Spurs teams with quality players and quality people. The motivation and internal expectations are always extremely high for this group.
2:08
Comment From Chris Langer
Hey RC, with the lockout in full swing, what are you guys doing now?
2:11
RC Buford: Chris - Currently, this time has given us an opportunity to work on projects that we haven't had time to handle beforehand to evaluate our systems and focus on areas we want to improve and become more efficient.

2:12
Comment From Edgar
Hey RC, First off I think you are a WONDERFULl GM. I am also a big Spurs fan as well. Now I know there is only one Bruce Bowen, but the team has not had a defensive stopper for sometime now. I thought you guys gave up on Larry Owens way too soon(who I thought had a huge upside to him) and without a defensive stopper(not to mention just the team playing better defense as a whole) the team will not win a championship anytime soon. Any plans on addressing that need?
2:13
RC Buford: Edgar - Anybody who knows Pop and our coaches understands that defense will always be the number one priority in our system. This is an area that we focus on all the time. Bruce Bowen was a unique player, and replacing that part of our system is a difficult challenge. Guys like Bruce don’t grow on trees. Our defensive system is not built around one person being responsible for the success of our defense.

2:15
Comment From Hannah
What is your favorite Charlie Robison song? Mine is Good Times.

2:16
RC Buford: Hannah – I’m a big fan of Charlie’s in spite of his lack of talent. He must have a good songwriter like his brother to help him out. I like a lot of his songs, but my favorite is El Cerrito Place. Hope to see you in Gruene Hall this weekend for his birthday bash.

2:17
Comment From Rich
I think it says a lot about how great the Spurs organization is that Mike Budenholzer has remained as an assistant for so long and has even turned down some head coaching interviews. Do you envision him as the Spurs head coach whenever Pop decides to hang up his clipboard?

2:19
RC Buford: Rich - We’re fortunate as an organization to have a great coaching staff. Peter’s hope, and all of our hope, is that Pop will be our coach for many years to come. It’s an honor for our organization to have guys like Mike Budenholzer, Don Newman, Brett Brown, Chip Engelland, Chad Forcier and Jacque Vaughn. They are all quality coaches, and I’m sure we’ll make good head coaches when they find the right opportunity. Our hope is that Pop will lead our group for many years to come.

2:21
Comment From Ron
You hear so much about Moneyball and stats in baseball, how much value do you put on player stats when making a personnel decision?
2:22
RC Buford: Ron – Statistics are obviously an integral part of all decisions. Different organizations value them at different levels, but most of all, we want balance in our decisions and we have to make sure that the character of the individual, fit for our team and the talent level, balance along with the statistics. I think when any of these areas come out of balance is when you’re more apt to have inconsistent decisions. When all these areas are in alignment, that’s when we feel most confident in our decisions.
2:23
Comment From Marcus
RC have you been watching FIBA Americas or Eurobasket?
2:26
RC Buford: Marcus – The Olympic qualification tournaments are always exciting to watch. There are many good players and good teams, and lots of learning opportunities in these events.
2:28
Comment From Chris
Who is looking like the biggest threat in the Southwest this season.
2:30
RC Buford: Chris – Dallas is the defending champions. They’re at the top of the perch until somebody knocks them off.
2:30
Comment From Patti
Hey RC! Big time fan here from Austin! What do you see as the future of the Toros as part of the Spurs future?
2:33
RC Buford: Patti – The Toros create an exciting opportunity for development, for experimentation and for rehabilitation. While not always evident to the public, we see great value in many areas from our association with the Toros, and our increased awareness of our opportunities in the D-League. We really enjoy having a team in Austin and appreciate the support from the Austin community, and hope to see our fan base and these relationships with the Spurs and Toros, grow throughout Austin.
2:38
Comment From Xavier, Puro Santo
I loved the game the team did last year in Mexico City are there any plans to do it again, or travel somewhere else?
2:40
RC Buford: Xavier – Participating internationally has always been a great experience for our teams. We always look forward to representing the Spurs and the NBA and closely connecting with our fans around the world. The game in Mexico City was just another step in building that connection. We have so many fans in South Texas and Mexico. It’s always great to see our fans from Mexico in the stands at Spurs games, just as we have when we played in Paris, the Virgin Islands and Italy. Our team has always had an international flair and we have a great appreciation for the love of basketball throughout the world and we look forward to our next opportunity to travel.
2:43
Comment From Sofia Brown
Hi RC! Big Spurs fan here! I was wondering what you would consider your greatest acomplishment thus far?
2:44
RC Buford: Sophia – Being a part of a Spurs organization that has had great success, not only on the court but in our community in impacting the lives in such a positive way. My greatest personal accomplishment is raising kids that I’m proud of.
2:45
Comment From Omar
What advice do you have for young professionals in the sports industry?
2:47
RC Buford: Omar – The advice is to find something you’re passionate about. Be prepared to work hard and find not only a profession, but an organization that shares your personal values.
2:48
Comment From Sbo, MD PPI-SA
Hey RC, thank you so much for your support of PeacePlayers International. I must tell you the organisation has done a lot to support the development of basketball in South Africa, particularly in the Durban area. Many of the provincial and municipal teams tend to be dominated by current or past participants from our programme as players, coaches or officials. It's such a pity you couldn't make it to the BWB camp taking place in Johannesburg. Any plans for a visit to our shores in the near future?
2:50
RC Buford: Sbo – Basketball Without Borders and Peace Players have both been very important parts of my professional and personal life. Basketball is such a great resource for teaching personal life skills. Through my travels with both organizations, I’ve found that my life has been enriched more than I could ever give back, and I’d encourage others to go find similar outlets that they’re passionate about. Through Basketball Without Borders and Peace Players, I’ve seen many kids grow both technically and personally, and have great influence for positive change in their own communities. Along with this, I have been fortunate to add several new members to our family from these programs. I look forward to visiting Africa and the many other regions of the world that Basketball Without Borders and peace players have so positively influenced.
2:52
Comment From Patrick
When is the AT&T Center getting an upgrade? and is there any plans to build a new area to separate yourselves from the rodeo?

2:56
RC Buford: Patrick – The AT&T Center has been a terrific venue for our team as well as the city of San Antonio. There are so many terrific events that are able to be held there, and our Spurs business side takes great pride in providing a multitude of entertainment opportunities for people throughout Bexar County. The people of Bexar County have given us a great opportunity to provide our citizens a unique venue, and over the next few years, I’m sure you’ll notice new and exciting fan experiences at the multitude of events held at the AT&T Center. We enjoy our partnership with the rodeo and take great pride in sharing our venue with them. They continue to be recognized as the premiere rodeo event in the country, and look forward to that partnership for many years to come.
2:57
RC Buford: Thanks to everybody for your time and interest today. It’s been a pleasure visiting with y’all. Once again, sorry that I was unable to answer any questions pertaining to current NBA players. We’re honored to have such wonderful fans. We’re all truly humbled by the support we receive in San Antonio and throughout the world.

baseline bum
09-01-2011, 03:02 PM
God damnit.... I was going to ask him if he draws unemployment right now.

MaNu4Tres
09-01-2011, 03:06 PM

I got to the chat late and sent a simple question, "What's more vital for a team with championship aspirations? Bigs that spread the floor? Or bigs that can defend the paint?"

Unfortunately it wasn't answered.

baseline bum
09-01-2011, 03:07 PM
Damnit, I should have asked him if the NBA game is too physical for Canadian forwards.

Jeff Leppard
09-01-2011, 04:17 PM
Worst questions ever.

jaffies
09-01-2011, 04:25 PM
Remember: A dry sponge is a happy sponge

DMX7
09-01-2011, 04:34 PM
With this rule in force, there's no way anything newsworthy will come out of this session:

*Due to league rules RC will be unable to answer questions pertaining to active NBA players or the current labor situation.

Oh brother... May as well host this chat on Wine Aficionado with coach Pop.

Fabbs
09-01-2011, 07:43 PM
To RC: I'd like some really excellent fertilizer for my garden. Can you give me some more of your good stuff?

2:13
RC Buford: Edgar - Anybody who knows Pop and our coaches understands that defense will always be the number one priority in our system. This is an area that we focus on all the time.

therealtruth
09-01-2011, 08:17 PM
Pop realizes the focus hasn't been on defense for a couple of seasons. He tried to justify it that they didn't have the personnel like an aging Finley that couldn't guard a chair. The personnel the past season should have been good enough to finish better than out of top 10 defensively. I would have no problem if the Spurs struggled on offense but had gotten consistently better on defense. The offense will eventually come but unless you focus on defense it's hard to get better. A simple thing like reducing Bonner's minutes would help since it would allow him to focus on knocking down shots and hustling while he's in there.

Pauleta14
09-01-2011, 08:37 PM
As usual with RC/Pop, nothing to learn...

Seventyniner
09-02-2011, 04:56 PM
Was RC saying that if Tim plays until he's 40, Pop would stick around until then too?

Uriel
09-02-2011, 09:06 PM
RC talks like a diplomat. Sometimes, I wish he were more candid about the state of the team.

DMC
09-02-2011, 10:23 PM
DMC: RC, can you spend about 500 words expounding on the new Caterpillar line Peter is now selling, how San Antonio is such a great city and how we haven't gotten any dad gummed rain lately? Lastly, can you tell Pop that the Breathe Right strips go on the bridge of the nose, not across the forehead?

Big P
09-02-2011, 10:57 PM
What else can he say without being fined $100k?

ElNono
09-02-2011, 11:06 PM
What else can he say without being fined $100k?