PDA

View Full Version : last summer's rule changes.....

Cant_Be_Faded
06-13-2005, 06:32 PM
I'm trying to be as impartial about this as I can.

Last night at the chat some Pistons fans complained of calls, and, well, I've done my share of complaining about calls, and after the entire debacle last postseason, I'll believe anything.

But lets be reasonable here, it was very obvious spurs got some very lucky out of bounds calls, & parker got away with a couple travels, but beyond that...I think The fouls of Prince, Hamilton, and Billups when they were guarding our guys were legit.

I really don't have a firm grasp of how the NBA rules "changed" after last season, but who knows, maybe that rule change helped contribute to Ginobili having a ridiculous season and postseason (!!!)

But....I saw games 1 and 2 with my own eyes, Hamilton was karate chopping his man more than Bruce Bowen does. They let Detroit get away with alot early in game 1, but in game 2 they were calling Detroit for every hand check and chop they dished out....

If pistons fans are complaining about calls i think its just cuz maybe their guys got away with this stuff last postseason. Did they? I'm not sure, I didn't watch basketball too closely after game 5 of our series.

Marklar MM
06-13-2005, 06:37 PM
The rule changes basically make it harder to defend a player by removing even more hand checking type plays. The league wants scoring...what better way to allow scoring than to make it harder to defend a scorer. But they aren't really enforcing it like they did in reg season.

Cant_Be_Faded
06-13-2005, 06:41 PM
But they aren't really enforcing it like they did in reg season.

I agree, we seemed to have get away with alot after being ruffed up by denver and seattle

But you didnt answer my question, it was mostly directed at pistons fans

Did they get away with more last postseason in terms of defense?

Marklar MM
06-13-2005, 06:45 PM
Did they get away with more last postseason in terms of defense?

Oh definitely. That Indy series was brutal. They basically let them play through 75% of the fouls. Call ticky tack calls both ways every now and then, but they let the bigs get physical down low. Lakers series was actually good reffing. Except for game 2 when they blew the last 15 seconds. Shaq 3 point play was horrible, and that eventually tied the game for OT. Without ref help game 2, Pistons sweep the series. But ya, the refs were a little less whistle happy last year.

Dre_7
06-13-2005, 06:45 PM
The loss has nothing to do with the refs. Detroit got beat fair and square. Plain and simple!

Marklar MM
06-13-2005, 06:46 PM
The loss has nothing to do with the refs. Detroit got beat fair and square. Plain and simple!

Who said anything about the refs costing games. We were talking about rule changes and how the refs are different from last year and this year in terms of physicality.

Cant_Be_Faded
06-13-2005, 06:52 PM
I think the Pistons are gonna come correct in game 3, hopefully the spurs are ready to face the onslaught and hang in there.

spurster
06-13-2005, 07:29 PM
It's a little bit like when they "changed" the rules after the Spurs won in 1999. The changes took away the bumps and made Elie and JJ into so-so defenders.