PDA

View Full Version : Germany VS France... TP on fire... AGAIN

le13
09-02-2011, 07:47 PM
65 - 76 France won

Germany was playing with DIRK and KAMAN..

France with DIAW, TP, NOAH, BATUM

32 pts for TP

28 pts, 7 assists in 3 games... Best player and top scorer in Euro FIBA so far:hat

I never seen TP playing this great for FRANCE.

Noah was saying after the game " I am playing in the NBA next to the MVP Derrick Rose, and i can tell you that TP is at the same level. He is perfectly reading the pick and rolls, he is super agressive, Fuck he got awesome lungs...amazing":downspin:

They are all thanking the spurs for their short playoff...:lol

Venti Quattro
09-03-2011, 12:16 AM
No Conley, lol

lefty
09-03-2011, 12:31 AM
No Conley, lol

:lol

Fireball
09-03-2011, 01:12 AM
TP really was great and the german announcer was full of praise. But the game was refereed lopsided as it was still close in the beginning of the 3rd quarter. TP got his calls, Nowitzki did not ... Germany never recovered from that.

timaios
09-03-2011, 02:18 AM
Tony Parker highlights vs Germany - Eurobasket 2011

3uYzYRD56OI

jason1301
09-03-2011, 02:42 AM
don't have high hopes, in Eurobasket, TP is easy the best athlete in his position, he is faster, stronger and more explosive than his opponents. It aint the case in the NBA... Stronger physical guys, who are also as quick and as explosive as him, like D Rose, CP3, D Williams, and Rojon Rondo are still a level above TP.

Pauleta14
09-03-2011, 02:59 AM
Making 3s and mid-range shots in a regular basis has nothing to do with physical abilities...

He isn't scoring only on layups in transition...

Have you even seen the games?

BTW loooooooool Rondo.... :lol

The american players wouldn't receive as many calls as they are used to (TP took many years to get used to it.)

jason1301
09-03-2011, 03:07 AM
We 'll how he plays when next season starts. However, dropping 30+ against slow non-athletic Euros doesn't mean he is at the level of D Rose.

Pauleta14
09-03-2011, 03:11 AM
We 'll how he plays when next season starts. However, dropping 30+ against slow non-athletic Euros doesn't mean he is at the level of D Rose.

Nobody's saying he's become the best player in the world or anything like that...

Just that he's playing great in a BB (euro) game with less space, more contacts allowed... and that we can all "witness" (:lol) an evolution in his game, that's it.

Pauleta14
09-03-2011, 03:12 AM
BTW have you seen Rose's stats of last playoff??

He should be ashamed, honestly. Compared to him TP looked great against Conley...:lol

jason1301
09-03-2011, 03:30 AM
Nobody's saying he's become the best player in the world or anything like that...

Just that he's playing great in a BB (euro) game with less space, more contacts allowed... and that we can all "witness" (:lol) an evolution in his game, that's it.

Noah was saying after the game " I am playing in the NBA next to the MVP Derrick Rose, and i can tell you that TP is at the same level. He is perfectly reading the pick and rolls, he is super agressive, Fuck he got awesome lungs...amazing"

jason1301
09-03-2011, 03:33 AM
BTW have you seen Rose's stats of last playoff??

He should be ashamed, honestly. Compared to him TP looked great against Conley...:lol

I have, have you?

http://www.nba.com/home/playerfile/derrick_rose/

27.1 pts, 7.7 assists

How does that compare with TP's 28 pts, 7 assists ?, really tell me.

joshdaboss
09-03-2011, 04:24 AM
TP really was great and the german announcer was full of praise. But the game was refereed lopsided as it was still close in the beginning of the 3rd quarter. TP got his calls, Nowitzki did not ... Germany never recovered from that.

Amazing what happens when David Stern does not alter the outcome of games for him, isn't it?

DesignatedT
09-03-2011, 04:51 AM
Trade him for Ryan Anderson!!

will_spurs
09-03-2011, 06:29 AM

Nowitzki didn't get "his calls" in the 3rd quarter because he wasn't on the floor, for whatever reason. Overall the German team would have deserved a few more calls, but Nowitzki also got a few phantom fouls too.

ogait
09-03-2011, 07:32 AM

3uYzYRD56OI

Tp with 3's off the dribble, nice :hat

Pauleta14
09-03-2011, 07:39 AM
I have, have you?

http://www.nba.com/home/playerfile/derrick_rose/

How does that compare with TP's 28 pts, 7 assists ?, really tell me.

FG 35% and 3.8 TO... (unfortunatly I can't find how many FG he attempted/game...)

TP ALWAYS shoots above 50%...

Concerning Noah's quote, he just said that he was just as impressed by TP than he is by Rose...

I'm not saying TP is better than Rose (overall), I'm just saying TP doesn't receive his due even by his own fans...

And I insist, most of NBA allstars would strugle (as TP did for many years) in the euro basket, because of the many no calls, the paint is smaller, only 3sec allowed in the paint...)

le13
09-03-2011, 07:58 AM
Agree with Pauleta.

As i say in the first post, noah never say that he was better than Rose, but at the same level.

Also this quote come from a teammate of Rose and obviously it is not enough for some spurs fans....:bang

I will never understand in this forum what is the point to allways bash our best players like Manu, Tony or sometimes Tim.

As a "real" spurs fan, i will be always supporting all of them, no matter if they are playing bad in a few games.:whine And you should always be proud of them.

Pauleta14
09-03-2011, 08:02 AM
Paris et Marseille ensemble!!! :toast

C'est l'union sacrée... :lol

Harry Callahan
09-03-2011, 08:31 AM
Rose is a great player and is one of the best. I don't think Parker is as good as him.

However, when TP is healthy and hitting his jump shot, he is in the top 20% at that position without question.

I don't think if the GM's in the NBA had a choice that they would pick Tony over Rose. That has a lot to do with Rose being so young and showing so much ability so soon.

Watching Parker grow into an All Star Level player has been great the last 10 years. I can't believe he is about to start his 11th year with the Spurs - time flies.:flag:

Fireball
09-03-2011, 01:14 PM
Nowitzki didn't get "his calls" in the 3rd quarter because he wasn't on the floor, for whatever reason. Overall the German team would have deserved a few more calls, but Nowitzki also got a few phantom fouls too.

Nowitzki did not get his calls in the first half, otherwise Germany would have led the game at halftime. Perhaps then France would not have been able to build such a substantial lead in the 3rd quarter. The refs started to call even small things in the 4th for Germany when the game was not close anymore ...

sefant77
09-03-2011, 02:40 PM
List of guards that are WAY better than any german guard:

D. Fisher
Bibby
Crittenton
Smush Parker (even the fat version)
Jordan with 75

Brazil
09-08-2011, 02:29 PM
Paris et Marseille ensemble!!! :toast

C'est l'union sacrée... :lol

tout se perd.... heureusement que les bordelais sont la pour rappeller les bonnes vieilles traditions... Parisiens, Marseillais tous des encules !

lefty
09-08-2011, 02:32 PM
Hé les Frenchies, la section Franco est morte, bougez-vous le popotin un peu, hein....

ForeignFan
09-08-2011, 03:27 PM
Hé les Frenchies, la section Franco est morte, bougez-vous le popotin un peu, hein....

pas du tout, mais j'étais sur l'autre fil de discussion...

Pauleta14
09-08-2011, 04:36 PM
Ya une "section franco" quelque part...? :wakeup

PS/ J'hésite à changer mon nom en "Pastore14" ...

DPG21920
09-08-2011, 06:05 PM
Trade him for Ryan Anderson!!

Keep RJ!!

DPG21920
09-08-2011, 06:05 PM
lol j/k

Brazil
09-09-2011, 08:52 AM
Ya une "section franco" quelque part...? :wakeup

PS/ J'hésite à changer mon nom en "Pastore14" ...

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140983

Pastore14 pas mal mais le mieux a mon avis serait un bon vieux PSGencule14... je dis ca je dis rien

sonic21
09-09-2011, 09:32 AM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140983

Pastore14 pas mal mais le mieux a mon avis serait un bon vieux PSGencule14... je dis ca je dis rien

don't hate. Remember 1999.

lefty
09-09-2011, 09:39 AM
Paris!

Ah, la magie des pétro-dollars

sonic21
09-09-2011, 09:43 AM
Paris!

Ah, la magie des pétro-dollars

au qatar c'est pas le petrol, c'est le gaz.
Par contre le Real, c la magie des dettes monumentales.

lefty
09-09-2011, 09:44 AM
au qatar c'est pas le petrol, c'est le gaz.
Par contre le Real, c la magie des dettes monumentales.
Gazodollars? :D

Et sinon, c'est quoi le palmares du PSG comparé a celui du Real Madrid :lmao

sonic21
09-09-2011, 09:57 AM
Gazodollars? :D

Et sinon, c'est quoi le palmares du PSG comparé a celui du Real Madrid :lmao
lol c quoi le rapport.

lefty
09-09-2011, 10:21 AM
lol c quoi le rapport.
Ben tu mentionnais les dettes du Réal :D

Brazil
09-09-2011, 10:37 AM
Ben tu mentionnais les dettes du Réal :D

Le real c'est comme les lakers, ca achete des titres. Le PSG essaie de s'en inspirer mais jusqu'a present ca n'a jamais marche.

lefty
09-09-2011, 10:39 AM
Le real c'est comme les lakers, ca achete des titres. Le PSG essaie de s'en inspirer mais jusqu'a present ca n'a jamais marche.
Seulement depuis que Perez est arrivé au pouvoir

Avant ils développaient leurs joueurs

Et je pourrais aussi mentionner LA Quinta Del Buitre

Brazil
09-09-2011, 10:46 AM
Seulement depuis que Perez est arrivé au pouvoir

Avant ils développaient leurs joueurs

Et je pourrais aussi mentionner LA Quinta Del Buitre

Ben voyons c'est bien connu Di Stefano et Puskas ont ete formes au Real Madrid:lmao

Bruno
09-09-2011, 10:46 AM
FYI, coach Bud is in Lithuania watching the Eurobasket.

Brazil
09-09-2011, 10:48 AM
FYI, coach Bud is in Lithuania watching the Eurobasket.

he is scooting Noah and Batum ! hell yeeaahhh :lol

DAF86
09-09-2011, 10:48 AM
What happened with Pastore?

Brazil
09-09-2011, 10:52 AM
What happened with Pastore?

he is playing for the PSG

Bruno
09-09-2011, 10:52 AM
he is scooting Noah and Batum ! hell yeeaahhh :lol

Well, more like Gelabale who has a good chance of signing with either Spurs or Hawks after the lockout.

DAF86
09-09-2011, 10:54 AM
he is playing for the PSG

I know, but I want to know why his name came up here?

Brazil
09-09-2011, 10:55 AM
Well, more like Gelabale who has a good chance of signing with either Spurs or Hawks after the lockout.

I'm not sure why the Spurs would sign a guy like Gelabale tbh

lefty
09-09-2011, 10:59 AM
Ben voyons c'est bien connu Di Stefano et Puskas ont ete formes au Real Madrid:lmao
Et alors?
Et Messi a été formé a Barcelone? :lmao

Meme Barca achète des joueurs malgré le fait qu'ils ont des joueurs talentueux issus de leur centre de formation :lmao

Le probleme avec ce connard de Perez c'est qu'il dépense n'importe comment

Pauleta14
09-09-2011, 11:56 AM
I know, but I want to know why his name came up here?

I'm a PSG fan and was kidding with my fellow compatriot about changing my name (Pauleta is a former PSG striker) into Pastore14...

I know there are many Marseille and Bordeaux fans on this forum and they are probably mad to see PSG FINALY becoming rich and/so ambitious... :lol

BTW, I'd like to know your opinion about him?

I knew Pastore by name and saw some of his goals last year, but I didn't know his game was such a beauty to watch, I'm really excited by this elegant player...

will_spurs
09-09-2011, 11:59 AM

Bruno, that's interesting, actually as I was watching Gelabale play with the NT I had to check his bio to see where it all went wrong for him, since he seems like a guy who could be decent in the NBA. 6'7", defends, can shoot threes, decent ability to create his own shot and seems to match up well with bigger players... sounds like a guy the Spurs could use.

He signed with a Belgian club but has an immediate opt-out clause if he signs with a NBA franchise.

romain.star
09-09-2011, 01:06 PM
Et alors?

Meme Barca achète des joueurs malgré le fait qu'ils ont des joueurs talentueux issus de leur centre de formation :lmao

Euh... là mon gars tu prends le mauvais cheval... Parfois, quand on n'y connait rien... Mieux vaut pas l'ouvrir

Messi est arrivé au Barça à 13 piges. Et puis, je sais pas si tu connais Xavi, Iniesta, Puyol, Fabregas, Valdès, Piqué, Busquets... --> Tous formés à la Masia

will_spurs
09-09-2011, 01:20 PM
Messi est arrivé au Barça à 13 piges. Et puis, je sais pas si tu connais Xavi, Iniesta, Puyol, Fabregas, Valdès, Piqué, Busquets... --> Tous formés à la Masia

N'empêche Fabregas ils l'ont racheté à Arsenal, faut le faire quand même. Et je crois pas que ce soit le seul.

ginobili fan
09-09-2011, 01:22 PM
I'm a PSG fan and was kidding with my fellow compatriot about changing my name (Pauleta is a former PSG striker) into Pastore14...

I know there are many Marseille and Bordeaux fans on this forum and they are probably mad to see PSG FINALY becoming rich and/so ambitious... :lol

I knew Pastore by name and saw some of his goals last year, but I didn't know his game was such a beauty to watch, I'm really excited by this elegant player...

Enfin un supporter du psg et des spurs!!!
idem for me so hi!!!
Moi perso je trouve que Pastore me fait rappeler Ginobili sans déconner!!!
dans le sens du jeu toujours vers l'avant, il a du génie un peu comme manu...
En plus il a du sang argentin ca ne trompe pas c'est un guerrier, un gagnant.

romain.star
09-09-2011, 01:52 PM
N'empêche Fabregas ils l'ont racheté à Arsenal, faut le faire quand même. Et je crois pas que ce soit le seul.

Disons que c'est dans la logique des choses que fabregas revienne chez lui. (y a que lui et Piqué qui ont été formés puis rachetés non?)

Après je conteste pas que depuis quelques saisons, ils lachent aussi les dollars sur le marché. Mais si tu fais une petite recherche sur le net, tu verras que comparé au Real, c'est quand même pas la même.
Le XI de départ du barca a couté 130 millions d'euros en transferts
Le XI du Real? ... 404 millions d'euros

lefty
09-09-2011, 02:00 PM
Euh... là mon gars tu prends le mauvais cheval... Parfois, quand on n'y connait rien... Mieux vaut pas l'ouvrir

Et il avait déja commencé sa formation plus jeune en Argentine

Au cas ou tu ne serais pas au courant

:lmao

Et ou ai-je dit que Xavi et Co n'étaient pas issus de leur centre de formation?
D'ailleurs un de mes postes mentionne des joueurs talentueux issus de leur farm team, et c'est à eux que je faisais référence

Pauleta14
09-09-2011, 02:14 PM
Enfin un supporter du psg et des spurs!!!
idem for me so hi!!!
Moi perso je trouve que Pastore me fait rappeler Ginobili sans déconner!!!
dans le sens du jeu toujours vers l'avant, il a du génie un peu comme manu...
En plus il a du sang argentin ca ne trompe pas c'est un guerrier, un gagnant.

Exactement!!

C'est un joueur DIFFÉRENT des autres, il est pas là pour les stats (un peu comme Zidane), quelle élégance, tjrs la tête levée ...
J'attend un peu avant de m'emballer, mais avec ce que j'ai déjà vu, c'est dur... :lol

I'm now officially a "ginobili fan" fan.... :toast

ps/ Tu croyais que j'étais portugais avec mon pseudo? :lol

ForeignFan
09-09-2011, 02:51 PM
France beat Lithuania 73-67 thanks to a terrific Q4. De Colo on fire!

ginobili fan
09-09-2011, 02:56 PM
Exactement!!

C'est un joueur DIFFÉRENT des autres, il est pas là pour les stats (un peu comme Zidane), quelle élégance, tjrs la tête levée ...
J'attend un peu avant de m'emballer, mais avec ce que j'ai déjà vu, c'est dur... :lol

I'm now officially a "ginobili fan" fan.... :toast

ps/ Tu croyais que j'étais portugais avec mon pseudo? :lol

:lol nan je savais que t'étais french mais pas forcément supporter parisien t'aurais pu être bordelais :lol:lol:lol

Ouais pour Pastore la comparaison avec Zizou c'est ce qui ce fait le plus aisément...on espère tous qu'il va exploser avec le PSG...
puis si t'observe bien pastore dans l'attitude dans le regard... c'est du manu tout craché:lol
Maradonna a dit de lui qu'il a un regard de tueur sur le terrain il te regarde comme un psycopathe puis te fait 10000 petits ponts:lol

PS: congrats to TP and De Colo big game tonight against Lithuania!!!
France-Lithuania 73-67:toast

Bruno
09-09-2011, 03:00 PM
France beat Lithuania 73-67 thanks to a terrific Q4. De Colo on fire!

Yep, great game by Nando. He scored today 21 points while he score d 13 points in the first 6 games of the Euro. :downspin:

The great news is that France will not be in the same side than Spain. They have now a shot at making the final which means being directly qualified for the Olympics.

The next game against Spain is meaningless. Losing it could be even slightly more interesting than wining it. Time to rest everybody

Brazil
09-09-2011, 03:00 PM
Et alors?

Si mes souvenirs sont exacts Messi est arrive adolescent au Barca donc on peut dire que le Barca l'a forme. Bien sur que le barca achete des joueurs mais la plupart sont des produits de leur centre de formation.

Bottom line Madrid achete des titres Barcelone les construit. non mais

lefty
09-09-2011, 03:03 PM
Si mes souvenirs sont exacts Messi est arrive adolescent au Barca donc on peut dire que le Barca l'a forme. Bien sur que le barca achete des joueurs mais la plupart sont des produits de leur centre de formation.

Non mais dis donc

ginobili fan
09-09-2011, 03:06 PM
Yep, great game by Nando. He scored today 21 points while he score d 13 points in the first 6 games of the Euro. :downspin:

The great news is that France will not be in the same side than Spain. They have now a shot at making the final which means being directly qualified for the Olympics.

The next game against Spain is meaningless. Losing it could be even slightly more interesting than wining it. Time to rest everybody

D'ailleurs bruno peux-tu me rappeler quelles sont les équipes qualifiées pour les JO? à partir des demi ?

Bruno
09-09-2011, 03:11 PM
D'ailleurs bruno peux-tu me rappeler quelles sont les équipes qualifiées pour les JO? à partir des demi ?

The two best teams are directly qualified.
The 3rd to 6th teams will go to a qualifying tournament that will happen in July 2012.

ginobili fan
09-09-2011, 03:12 PM

Oui Messi a bien été formé au Barca mais pour être objectif moi je pense qu'il ne faut pas oublier que le Real comme le Barca et les autres équipes espagnoles sont les meilleurs formateurs au monde.
N'oublions pas les Raul, Morientes...qui ont fait le bonheur du Real par le passé...
Puis je pense qu'à un moment donné ils se sont trop enflammés avec la politique des galactiques lorsque le barca n'allait pas bien...
Mais dire que Madrid achète leurs titres c'est exagéré car c'est un club historique le meilleur dans l'histoire de l'europe, et un temps ils ont construits leurs titres aussi...même si aujourd'hui ils "galèrent":lol

ginobili fan
09-09-2011, 03:18 PM
The two best teams are directly qualified.
The 3rd to 6th teams will go to a qualifying tournament that will happen in July 2012.

ok merci.
Mais je trouve ça abusé franchement quand on connait le niveau européen...
Ils font quoi la FIBA?
ils veulent voir thailande-congo en finale des JO ?:bang

maintenant je comprends pourquoi la France a galéré autant pour jouer aux JO:bang

En gros TP peut faire un tournoi de folie et perdre deux jambes et si la France termine 3eme par exemple ( ce qui est super vu les équipes qu'il y a comme la Serbie, la Lithuanie, l'Espagne,la Russie, la Grèce pour ne citer qu'eux) c'est rebelote l'année prochaine et on va encore tirer sur les cordes avec TP à nouveau en FNT l'année prochaine pour enchîner avec les JO et tout...
C'est rageant

Venti Quattro
09-09-2011, 03:21 PM
Holy shit my nose bled.

DAF86
09-09-2011, 03:57 PM

Thanks for the explination.

I gave my opinion on Pastore on a thread Sonic made on the "other sports" forum. IMO he's as good as it gets when he's on but he's very inconsistent, I wouldn't have paid so much money for him.

ginobili fan
09-09-2011, 06:09 PM
Thanks for the explination.

I gave my opinion on Pastore on a thread Sonic made on the "other sports" forum. IMO he's as good as it gets when he's on but he's very inconsistent, I wouldn't have paid so much money for him.

Would you mean he's inconsistent in NT ? Cause with Palermo what he's done was great given his age and the shitty team he was in.
I'm pretty sure that with the team the Psg are building now and all the offensive calibers we got he'll shine.

Pauleta14
09-09-2011, 07:43 PM
Would you mean he's inconsistent in NT ? Cause with Palermo what he's done was great given his age and the shitty team he was in.
I'm pretty sure that with the team the Psg are building now and all the offensive calibers we got he'll shine.

I'm not surprised by his opinion. Pastore is only 22 and is playing for the 1st time for a team with high pressure and where results are "mandatory"...

+ It's really not the kind of player you can judge by his statistics and (unfortunately) that's what most of football fans are watching first.

I can't wait for sunday game... (even if it's only agains Brest :lol)

will_spurs
09-10-2011, 03:47 AM
Re: Pastore, wait a bit before comparing him to Zidane... I've heard this line so many times before. There's only one player in the world that people can start comparing with Zidane and that's Messi. All the other players are "second tier" (or worse). And re: PSG, they are trying to build a team like Real and other teams did before... and most of these teams didn't win anything.

Re: France, good job against Lithuania. Bruno, are you sure there's no way we are in the same bracket as Spain? I thought if we beat Spain and Lithuania wins its last game, then Spain could finish third. France should really lose that last game to ensure Spain has 4 wins and finishes in the top 2.

The most important game for France is definitely the QF, because it leads to a guaranteed spot to the olympic game pre-tournament, 75% chance of a medal and 50% chance to go directly to the olympic games. Losing the QF would make things more complicated with a mandatory win in the ranking game just to make the OG pre-tournament.

So much relies on one game... FIBA should really change its rules.

Bruno
09-10-2011, 06:06 AM
Bruno, are you sure there's no way we are in the same bracket as Spain? I thought if we beat Spain and Lithuania wins its last game, then Spain could finish third. France should really lose that last game to ensure Spain has 4 wins and finishes in the top 2.

The winner of Spain/France will get the first seed and the loser of that game will get the second seed. Even if France and Lithuania win tomorrow, Spain will finish 2nd. Spain and Lithuania will be tied with a 3-2 record but Spain owns the tiebreaker over Lithuania because they beat them earlier in the tournament.

Pauleta14
09-10-2011, 07:06 AM
Re: Pastore, wait a bit before comparing him to Zidane... I've heard this line so many times before. There's only one player in the world that people can start comparing with Zidane and that's Messi. All the other players are "second tier" (or worse). And re: PSG, they are trying to build a team like Real and other teams did before... and most of these teams didn't win anything.

The only reason I compared Pastore to Zidane is because they are 2 players who can't be judged ONLY by their stats (Zidane stats don't reflect his talent...)
Of course only time will tell, but remember Zidane at 22... He was still far from the player he became. (he when to juve at +23)

Both are players who make their teamates better and love passing the ball and are unselfish, I even think Pastore is better in the "last" assist...

You can't compare Messi to Zidane, they are two very different players... Messi will break all the records in scoring and is playing since he started pro in a very offensive team. Zidane played almost a defensive (relayeur) role when he started will Juve...

ginobili fan
09-10-2011, 07:33 AM
The only reason I compared Pastore to Zidane is because they are 2 players you can't be judged ONLY by their stats (Zidane stats don't reflect his talent...)
Of course only time will tell, but remember Zidane at 22... He was still far from the player he became. (he when to juve at +23)

Both are players who make their teamates better and love passing the ball and are unselfish, I even think Pastore is better in the "last" assist...

You can't compare Messi to Zidane, they are two very different players... Messi will break all the records in scoring and is playing since he started pro in a very offensive team. Zidane played almost a defensive (relayeur) role when he started will Juve...

I see that Will is comparing Messi to zidane to their international status and overall talent:
Messi = best player in the world
Zidane= best player in the world in the past.
But when we compare Pastore to Zidane it's more like NBA scouting reasonning. (Like comparing some young player to NBA star to make it easier to people to understand...Now Bargnani was compared to Dirk but will never be Dirk...)
So like Pauleta said, we can't compare Messi to Zidane because it's like we're comparing Manu to Kobe or Rose to Kidd(in his prime time) they're not the same type of player...
And then we can compare Pastore to Zidane with this reasonning...
Plus when Zidane was selected for the first time in French NT he was already 25...He really began to shine at this moment.
But today there's no player can be compared to Zidane at 22...
Pastore is the only one...

ginobili fan
09-10-2011, 07:35 AM
I'm not surprised by his opinion. Pastore is only 22 and is playing for the 1st time for a team with high pressure and where results are "mandatory"...

+ It's really not the kind of player you can judge by his statistics and (unfortunately) that's what most of football fans are watching first.

I can't wait for sunday game... (even if it's only agains Brest :lol)

Do you go to the game?

ginobili fan
09-10-2011, 07:40 AM
Back to basketball, I don't know why but even though De Colo had big big game yesterday at international level I don't see him being a solid NBA player...any thoughts ?
Anyway does anyone know when De Colo will come to the Spurs?

Pauleta14
09-10-2011, 08:03 AM
Do you go to the game?

No, I'm not fan of the new "footix" attitude of the Parc since last year, I'll wait a few games...

I'll be ther against marseille and Lyon for sure... :ihit

Back to basketball, I don't know why but even though De Colo had big big game yesterday at international level I don't see him being a solid NBA player...any thoughts ?
Anyway does anyone know when De Colo will come to the Spurs?

He seems very shy to me, he needs to be in an environment where he is the 1st option/needed... (he acknowledged that he needs the ball in his hand, "à la" TP to feel confident, it's ok for a PG, not so much for a SG)

I love some part of his game ("blind"passing, scoring abilities), but he isn't reliable game after game, you never know what you'll get with him...

I have to admit he really surprised me by his defense yesterday, I didn't know he had such an ability to steal the ball.

He's still young, so maybe I'm wrong, but I don't see him in the NBA, he 1st needs to be among the best in europe/ACB whitch if far from the case IMO...

Pauleta14
09-10-2011, 08:07 AM
BTW what do you think of Seraphin??

Another real surprise to me, still young, many stupid mistakes but HUGE potential imo..

With Noah, we may have a bright future under the basket ... (for a change!)

will_spurs
09-10-2011, 08:13 AM
But when we compare Pastore to Zidane it's more like NBA scouting reasonning. (Like comparing some young player to NBA star to make it easier to people to understand...Now Bargnani was compared to Dirk but will never be Dirk...)

I understand what you mean, but I actually dislike these comparisons even in the NBA. I prefer comparisons to a similar starter, rather than comparisons to legends which I think servers little purpose, because legends have their own strengths that can never be matched (e.g. Zidane's control of the ball which was his signature and is unparalleled).

Plus when Zidane was selected for the first time in French NT he was already 25...He really began to shine at this moment.

You have bad memory :lol Zidane was 22 when he played with Les Bleus for the first time, and he scored 2 goals!

will_spurs
09-10-2011, 08:21 AM
The winner of Spain/France will get the first seed and the loser of that game will get the second seed. Even if France and Lithuania win tomorrow, Spain will finish 2nd. Spain and Lithuania will be tied with a 3-2 record but Spain owns the tiebreaker over Lithuania because they beat them earlier in the tournament.

Ok, I thought point differential would be the tie-breaker, not head-to-head. In which case it is indeed good news.

Re: De Colo, yesterday's heroics can't hide his absolutely dreadful showing so far. I don't think there's a NBA franchise right now which would be patient enough to deal with his inconsistency.

He was really good on scoring and steals yesterday, but his passing is still very suspect to me. He tried to do the same as Parker, i.e. penetrate and kick the blll out, but with less success. This shows Parker is really invaluable in this role (also for the Spurs) because he manages to deliver a crisp, useful pass while surrounded by 2-3 other players and while off-balance. With De Colo the penetrating part was ok, but the kicking-out not so much, it felt as though he was just throwing the ball wildly in the general direction of a teammate.

Pauleta14
09-10-2011, 11:54 AM
If he has the choice, I don't think he should keep on playing PG, some of his beautiful passes lead people to think that he could be a good in that role but he isn't!

He doesn't seem to enjoy this role, but IMO he should work on his SG skills, be ready to shoot, play without the ball...

will_spurs
09-10-2011, 01:53 PM
It seems that the Spain-France game will not be so meaningless after all, as the 4th team in the other group (either Finland or Slovenia) seems to be a lot weaker than the 3rd team (Greece or Russia).

Pauleta14
09-10-2011, 03:03 PM
If France loses the game against spain, they won't meet either them or Lithuania before the final...

That's THE most important thing (olympic qualification)

+ Russia will finish 1st or 2nd and Greece isn't THAT tough (lots of retired leaders) and France players want so much a payback, I don't see them losing against them...

I actualy fear that France doesn't lose against spain...

Bruno
09-10-2011, 03:50 PM
The interest of tanking the Spain game will too depend on the result of the Serbia/Turkey game:
- If Turkey beat Serbia, Lithuania will finish 3rd with a win against Germany and 4th with a loss against them. If France lost, Lithuania can then decide to tank to avoid Spain in SF.
- If Serbia beat Turkey, Lithuania won't be able to calculate and they will likely finish 3rd.

To sum up, tanking is way more interesting if Serbia win its game. Al of this is a little moot because Spain is way better than France and the only way France can beat them is if they decide to tank or if they don't care at all about the game.

Regarding the QF: a win will likely put France against Slovenia and a loss will put them against Greece. Slovenia is the most talented team but Greece is more complete and sill be more difficult to beat. Saying that, even if Greece is the most dangerous team, I rather see France facing them than Slovenia. Greece is the shame of European basketball: they try to buy referees, they don't suspend players caught in PED scandals like Bourousis and they have 3 American players while other teams are limited to one. Beating them would be so sweet that's it's worth taking the risk of facing them.

Pauleta14
09-10-2011, 04:26 PM
What about Russia in semi Bruno?

I haven't watch any of their games but they seem really tough!

Aren't they harder to beat than Lithuania?

Bruno
09-10-2011, 04:43 PM
What about Russia in semi Bruno?

I haven't watch any of their games but they seem really tough!

Aren't they harder to beat than Lithuania?

I haven't been that impressed by Russia when I saw them play. If they face Serbia in QF, I can see Serbia beating them. Lithuania isn't a that great team but the problem is that they are at home.

At the end, winning or losing tomorrow game isn't that important. It's far from sure that Greece would be harder to face than Slovenia or that Lithuania would be harder than Serbia or Russia. The only sure thing is that Spain is head and shoulders above other teams in this Eurobasket. Avoiding them was the most important.

Pauleta14
09-10-2011, 06:01 PM
Thanks! I feel better, so loss 2morrow, 1/4 greece, 1/2 russia and final against Spain... :p: :lol

Call me crazy, but I think that with our defensive intensity (on 40 min) we can beat Spain!

The Gasols are scray inside, but for the rest, seing what we did against lithuania passing and our ability to steal or "provoc" TOs, we really have a shot IF WE MAINTAIN THE SAME DEFENSIVE INTENSITY 40MINUTES!

It's a big "if" (and we're not in final yet), but I'm not as impressed/scared of that team...

ginobili fan
09-10-2011, 07:09 PM
[QUOTE=Pauleta14;5402728]No, I'm not fan of the new "footix" attitude of the Parc since last year, I'll wait a few games...

I'll be ther against marseille and Lyon for sure... :ihit

yeah anyway the footix attitude at the Parc it's pretty a shame but it's still encouraging seeing all PSG games at gichets fermés.

ginobili fan
09-10-2011, 07:11 PM
I understand what you mean, but I actually dislike these comparisons even in the NBA. I prefer comparisons to a similar starter, rather than comparisons to legends which I think servers little purpose, because legends have their own strengths that can never be matched (e.g. Zidane's control of the ball which was his signature and is unparalleled).

You have bad memory :lol Zidane was 22 when he played with Les Bleus for the first time, and he scored 2 goals!

autant pour moi:lol
bizarrement je me souviens des deux buts de zidane mais j'ai toujours pensé qu'il avait 25 ans à l'époque:lol

ginobili fan
09-10-2011, 07:13 PM
The interest of tanking the Spain game will too depend on the result of the Serbia/Turkey game:
- If Turkey beat Serbia, Lithuania will finish 3rd with a win against Germany and 4th with a loss against them. If France lost, Lithuania can then decide to tank to avoid Spain in SF.
- If Serbia beat Turkey, Lithuania won't be able to calculate and they will likely finish 3rd.

To sum up, tanking is way more interesting if Serbia win its game. Al of this is a little moot because Spain is way better than France and the only way France can beat them is if they decide to tank or if they don't care at all about the game.

Regarding the QF: a win will likely put France against Slovenia and a loss will put them against Greece. Slovenia is the most talented team but Greece is more complete and sill be more difficult to beat. Saying that, even if Greece is the most dangerous team, I rather see France facing them than Slovenia. Greece is the shame of European basketball: they try to buy referees, they don't suspend players caught in PED scandals like Bourousis and they have 3 American players while other teams are limited to one. Beating them would be so sweet that's it's worth taking the risk of facing them.

yeah tanking is the best way I think rest TP and co for more important games.
and we have a revenge to take against Greece:ihit:ihit:ihit

mathbzh
09-11-2011, 01:46 AM
yeah tanking is the best way I think rest TP and co for more important games.
and we have a revenge to take against Greece:ihit:ihit:ihit

Yes, rest the starters. No matter who we would play in the SF it would be a tough but winnable game.

DMC
09-11-2011, 02:36 AM
Honestly, does anyone care about any place other than 1st in the FIBA?

will_spurs
09-11-2011, 03:24 AM
Honestly, does anyone care about any place other than 1st in the FIBA?

Yes, there are 2 more medals to give away, the 2nd spot gets a free ticket to the olympics, and #3 to #6 go to the qualifying tournament for Olympics. So there's a lot more to it than simply being Euro Champion.

Re: Greece, of course there is revenge, but since they cheat like they breathe, I'd rather have France play a team "fair and square". It would be like wishing to play England in rugby just because they don't play very well (remember the last WC?).

All in all the best scenario would be that both Spain and France rest their starters, France wins, plays Slovenia or Finland, and both teams have no real information about the other when they meet in the final game, and France wins again :lol

velik_m
09-11-2011, 10:48 AM
Go French bench go!

Bruno
09-11-2011, 11:26 AM
Go French bench go!

They decided to tank.

And Spain winning is better for Slovenia.

velik_m
09-11-2011, 11:27 AM
They decided to tank.

And Spain winning is better for Slovenia.

You mean Finland?

I jinxed the french... :depressed

Bruno
09-11-2011, 11:33 AM
You mean Finland?

:lol

More seriously, even if they have been ugly so far, Slovenia has a good shot at making the Olympic qualifying tournament next year. They will need to beat Finland and then Macedonia after having lost their QF against Spain. They can do it.

will_spurs
09-11-2011, 11:54 AM
So France is going to play Greece. I don't like that at all.

Bruno
09-11-2011, 04:55 PM
Yep, it won't be easy.

I'm taking all this Eurobasket with a lot of humility. France is a country with a small basketball culture and they are missing some players (Beaubois, Mike Pietrus, Turiaf, Diot, Bokolo). They've won a lot of games so far but most of theses games were close and France catch some lucky breaks. Against a depleted Greece, they will be favorites but it wouldn't be that surprising to see them losing this game.

Turkey and Germany are out of the Euro and they won't go to London. It's because of a weird draw in this Eurobasket but there is also a true problem with Olympic basketball tournament: 12 teams isn't enough, there should have at least 16 basketball teams at the Olympics games.

ginobili fan
09-12-2011, 01:57 PM
Yep, it won't be easy.

I'm taking all this Eurobasket with a lot of humility. France is a country with a small basketball culture and they are missing some players (Beaubois, Mike Pietrus, Turiaf, Diot, Bokolo). They've won a lot of games so far but most of theses games were close and France catch some lucky breaks. Against a depleted Greece, they will be favorites but it wouldn't be that surprising to see them losing this game.

Turkey and Germany are out of the Euro and they won't go to London. It's because of a weird draw in this Eurobasket but there is also a true problem with Olympic basketball tournament: 12 teams isn't enough, there should have at least 16 basketball teams at the Olympics games.

yeah dont understand why they're only 12 teams in OG.
Maybe to equilibrate the continents,... you can't have 10 european teams and 2 asians teams and 1 african...
Anyway the winner are usa again...

Bruno
09-12-2011, 02:56 PM
yeah dont understand why they're only 12 teams in OG.
Maybe to equilibrate the continents,... you can't have 10 european teams and 2 asians teams and 1 african...
Anyway the winner are usa again...

12 teams made sense 20 years ago when Basketball was less developed and when they were less countries in the Eastern Europe. I guess the main reason why they don't expand it to 16 teams is because it will make the organization of the Olympic games even more complicate.

On a more global note, FIBA needs to work their summer scheduling. In 2010, tons of players turns down the world championship. It's not good to have a sport where best players don't want to play the world championship.

ElNono
09-12-2011, 03:10 PM
On a more global note, FIBA needs to work their summer scheduling. In 2010, tons of players turns down the world championship. It's not good to have a sport where best players don't want to play the world championship.

They also need to address the craziness of the 8 games in 9 days and the like. It's just calling for injuries and dilutes the games to watch players dead tired. I also think it's a factor for players to skip the competition.

mathbzh
09-13-2011, 01:23 AM
They also need to address the craziness of the 8 games in 9 days and the like. It's just calling for injuries and dilutes the games to watch players dead tired. I also think it's a factor for players to skip the competition.

It seems like it is not going that way
24-Team EuroBasket already a success story (http://www.eurobasket2011.com/en/coid_iVpVaAOIHNU8x9r7vspDv1.articleMode_on.html)

The expansion of the EuroBasket to 24 teams is proving to be a great success story already in its first implementation, in Lithuania.

ElNono
09-13-2011, 01:37 AM
They just need to make the tournament longer. Make it 4-3 weeks instead of 2-3. Space the games a bit. I have no problem with the number of teams, but the schedule is brutal.

Ed Helicopter Jones
09-14-2011, 11:32 AM

3uYzYRD56OI

Tony's midrange pull-up jumper looks great. I didn't even realize he had a mid-range pull-up jumper.

He looked really good in these games from what little scattered highlights I saw. I think we'll see TP in his prime the next couple of years.

Dex
09-14-2011, 12:19 PM
Tony's midrange pull-up jumper looks great. I didn't even realize he had a mid-range pull-up jumper.

:huh Tony's mid-range jumper was one of his strongest weapons during his breakout year in 09-10. IMO, that weapon separates his game from being just a quality point-guard, and being one of the elites. When Parker is getting into the lane AND hitting from outside, he becomes nearly unguardable. I thought he actually regressed with his shooting last season; not terribly, but he wasn't hitting them with the same ease or confidence than he was the season before.

Ed Helicopter Jones
09-14-2011, 02:16 PM
:huh Tony's mid-range jumper was one of his strongest weapons during his breakout year in 09-10. IMO, that weapon separates his game from being just a quality point-guard, and being one of the elites. When Parker is getting into the lane AND hitting from outside, he becomes nearly unguardable. I thought he actually regressed with his shooting last season; not terribly, but he wasn't hitting them with the same ease or confidence than he was the season before.

I actually said that in jest...sorry, forgot the blue. It seemed like last year he got away from his mid-range game quite a bit. In these highlights and others from the tournament it appears he uses some strength and elevation in shooting that mid-range jumper while being guarded close, not just shooting it when his defender backs off guarding the lane.

Pretty impressive stuff. :tu

Dex
09-14-2011, 05:16 PM
I actually said that in jest...sorry, forgot the blue. It seemed like last year he got away from his mid-range game quite a bit. In these highlights and others from the tournament it appears he uses some strength and elevation in shooting that mid-range jumper while being guarded close, not just shooting it when his defender backs off guarding the lane.

:lol Yeah, the blue would've helped. Totally missed the sarcasm. :downspin:

And I agree, last season it seemed like Tony backed off his jumper once he started having problems with it. I'm no shooting coach either, but it also looked like he started reverting back to his bad form. When he came into the League, he used to have a very quick flick release and his hand seemed to come around the side of the ball. After re-working his shot, he seemed to get better elevation and had a nice, solid followthrough going straight into his shots. It seemed like toward the end of the season, he was going back to his old habits.

Fortunately, in this latest footage his form looks solid and the results show it, so maybe it is something he is aware of and focusing on.

mathbzh
09-15-2011, 02:10 AM

It looks like he needs to be 100% physically to shoot like that. His jumper has not been the same since he took a hit against Italy.

will_spurs
09-15-2011, 11:53 AM
I was thinking all along that Greece was going to do us in all over again, and kept wondering why Noah was alone in the post while Borousis was raping us. Fortunately Flo Pietrus set that right in the 3rd, what a difference-maker he was. Then Tony got hot, Noah showed his fire, and it was done. Monclar was so right to say that even a small need was enough to turn the whole game around: as soon as they lost the lead, the Greeks started to play rushed, and with pressure on their shoulders for once, and only scored off fouls.

2 more games!

Mel_13
09-15-2011, 11:54 AM
Now just one win away from direct qualification. :tu

will_spurs
09-15-2011, 12:20 PM
One win away from direct qualification AND from a nice medal too (gold would be better, but silver would already be quite an achievement).

Greece is for me the prototypical team that will struggle against other "Euroleague" NTs, because they are just not gifted enough at the moment, but will be tough for "NBA" NTs, because they are simply perfect at getting fouls in a FIBA settings, and NBA players are a bit "naive" in this regard. The disparity in FTs shows that Greece managed it very well (with referees doing a good job).

Also, the more I watch FIBA games, the more I prefer the way fouls are handled than in the NBA, where superstars always get "and-1s" way too easily (compared to the difficulty of scoring a 3-pointer).

Brazil
09-15-2011, 02:19 PM
Tony Parker : «On ne fait pas notre meilleur match, ce n'était pas beau à voir mais on arrive à gagner. Je suis fier de cette victoire parce que les années précédentes on n'aurait pas gagné ce match-là. Les Grecs sont forts quand même. On savait qu'ils joueraient à deux à l'heure et pourtant ils ont réussi à nous la faire et à nous endormir. Ils nous sont rentrés dedans dès le début du match. On était un peu frustrés, on avait tellement envie de bien faire qu'on n'arrivait pas à installer notre jeu. Mais on n'a pas douté. C'est une bonne victoire mais il faudra sortir un grand match demain (vendredi en demi-finale). Ca sera beaucoup plus offensif.»

lefty
09-15-2011, 02:32 PM
Tony Parker : «On ne fait pas notre meilleur match, ce n'était pas beau à voir mais on arrive à gagner. Je suis fier de cette victoire parce que les années précédentes on n'aurait pas gagné ce match-là. Les Grecs sont forts quand même. On savait qu'ils joueraient à deux à l'heure et pourtant ils ont réussi à nous la faire et à nous endormir. Ils nous sont rentrés dedans dès le début du match. On était un peu frustrés, on avait tellement envie de bien faire qu'on n'arrivait pas à installer notre jeu. Mais on n'a pas douté. C'est une bonne victoire mais il faudra sortir un grand match demain (vendredi en demi-finale). Ca sera beaucoup plus offensif.»
Spurs style :hat

The Great Fantastic
09-15-2011, 03:29 PM
It was a good win for France. I gotta say that I was not really impressed with Tony in this game. He hit some shots late in the game, but he forced a lot of really bad shots. De Colo was huge in the first half and I feel he definitely should have gotten more looks in the second half.

Pietrus really did make a difference in the third. Batum made the biggest shots in the second half and the fourth quarter.

France was fortunate to get this win. They don't play team ball often enough. They show glimpses but then Tony reverts to a one man game and everyone else follows suit.

romain.star
09-15-2011, 03:49 PM
I was thinking all along that Greece was going to do us in all over again, and kept wondering why Noah was alone in the post while Borousis was raping us. Fortunately Flo Pietrus set that right in the 3rd, what a difference-maker he was. Then Tony got hot, Noah showed his fire, and it was done. Monclar was so right to say that even a small need was enough to turn the whole game around: as soon as they lost the lead, the Greeks started to play rushed, and with pressure on their shoulders for once, and only scored off fouls.

2 more games!

No matter the sport, Monclar is clearly the best consultant out there. Listening to him is a pure joy

will_spurs
09-15-2011, 03:54 PM
I have a different view re: Parker, although I agree that he tried some bad shots at times and that the team wasn't playing enough like a team.

However the first issue is that France has no offensive post presence for most of the game (basically all the time except when Traoré was in), and this is a real problem for a player like Tony, because he shines when surrounded with some legitimate threats, either in the post or the perimeter. Noah being a non-factor offensively (at least today) and Diaw refusing to take ANY shot, no matter how good it was, was a problem in this regard.

The second aspect relates to team basketball. Nobody was moving, and apart from Noah nobody was even trying to set screens. As useful as Batum was to nail some key shots (especially the two 3-pointers in the 4th), he took what... one really tough shot in the whole game? All his other shots were open shots. That's a lot easier for him than for Tony, who always ended up with the ball in his hands and 5 seconds left on the clock, because every other player either refused to shoot (see, Diaw) or couldn't create their own shot.

The one time when Tony kinda reverted to "one man game" was indeed at the end when he seemed to be on a hot streak and tried a couple of ill-advised shots. He stopped quickly when he realized he had cooled down, though.

I'd say there's no way France wins this game without him, especially since he scored the 2 back-to-back shots that gave France its first lead of the game... they tied a couple of times but never managed to go ahead. As soon as Greece was behind the pressure started to show, they turned the ball over, took some bad shots, etc. So that was a key moment as far as I'm concerned.

The Great Fantastic
09-15-2011, 04:15 PM
I have a different view re: Parker, although I agree that he tried some bad shots at times and that the team wasn't playing enough like a team.

However the first issue is that France has no offensive post presence for most of the game (basically all the time except when Traoré was in), and this is a real problem for a player like Tony, because he shines when surrounded with some legitimate threats, either in the post or the perimeter. Noah being a non-factor offensively (at least today) and Diaw refusing to take ANY shot, no matter how good it was, was a problem in this regard.

The second aspect relates to team basketball. Nobody was moving, and apart from Noah nobody was even trying to set screens. As useful as Batum was to nail some key shots (especially the two 3-pointers in the 4th), he took what... one really tough shot in the whole game? All his other shots were open shots. That's a lot easier for him than for Tony, who always ended up with the ball in his hands and 5 seconds left on the clock, because every other player either refused to shoot (see, Diaw) or couldn't create their own shot.

The one time when Tony kinda reverted to "one man game" was indeed at the end when he seemed to be on a hot streak and tried a couple of ill-advised shots. He stopped quickly when he realized he had cooled down, though.

I'd say there's no way France wins this game without him, especially since he scored the 2 back-to-back shots that gave France its first lead of the game... they tied a couple of times but never managed to go ahead. As soon as Greece was behind the pressure started to show, they turned the ball over, took some bad shots, etc. So that was a key moment as far as I'm concerned.

Fair assessment but it also points to the fact that Tony is not a true leader. He didn't tell people where to be or get onto them for not moving or taking shots. He has to run the team and not settle for contested mid range jump shots. Just my opinion.

Nando has really been the one to settle this team and allowed Tony to get hot once France had the lead. Without Nando, I believe Tony keeps forcing and France loses the game against Lithuania and against Greece. Once again, just my opinion.

Nando was non existent in all other games, but he sure did step up when France needed him most.

Tony Parker is a GREAT player. I just expect more of him in these pressure games. 18 points on 18 shots is not going to cut it.

Brazil
09-15-2011, 05:30 PM
Fair assessment but it also points to the fact that Tony is not a true leader. He didn't tell people where to be or get onto them for not moving or taking shots. He has to run the team and not settle for contested mid range jump shots. Just my opinion.

Nando has really been the one to settle this team and allowed Tony to get hot once France had the lead. Without Nando, I believe Tony keeps forcing and France loses the game against Lithuania and against Greece. Once again, just my opinion.

Nando was non existent in all other games, but he sure did step up when France needed him most.

Tony Parker is a GREAT player. I just expect more of him in these pressure games. 18 points on 18 shots is not going to cut it.

Saying he is not a true leader is an unfair statement. This game was very nervous as expected against Greece. The guys had a lot of pressure after all the previous good games and on top of that French don't like to be the favorites. So it's true he scored 18 pts on 18 shoots but he was one of the few to have the corones to take the shoots during the whole game: Diaw refused to shoot, Batum shot only when he was wide open etc... At one point the offense must end with a shoot. Besides he has been clutch so globally he took his responsabilities, on that he has been the leader of the team.

BTW we are under evaluating the importance of Diaw in the French system, when he is passive like today, it complicates the life of the whole team.

The Great Fantastic
09-15-2011, 06:02 PM
Saying he is not a true leader is an unfair statement. This game was very nervous as expected against Greece. The guys had a lot of pressure after all the previous good games and on top of that French don't like to be the favorites. So it's true he scored 18 pts on 18 shoots but he was one of the few to have the corones to take the shoots during the whole game: Diaw refused to shoot, Batum shot only when he was wide open etc... At one point the offense must end with a shoot. Besides he has been clutch so globally he took his responsabilities, on that he has been the leader of the team.

BTW we are under evaluating the importance of Diaw in the French system, when he is passive like today, it complicates the life of the whole team.

Another absolutely fair rebuttal. I am judging Tony on an extremely critical scale. It might not be fair to ask Tony to get after his teammates and not allow them to be passive. Maybe that is an impossible task. I would at least like to see him try. Tony is the leader of this squad, just not the type of emotional leader I guess I am asking for. I want to see passion that teammates thrive off of.

I do believe Nando should have been more involved in the offense in the second half. I don't know if that was Tony's fault or not that he wasn't.

will_spurs
09-16-2011, 02:14 AM
You make also fair points, but remember that Diaw is the captain of the French NT, not Parker. I know it's only a title, and I'm sure Parker contributes a lot to his teammates' motivation, but Collet obviously thought that making Parker the captain was really putting too much on his shoulders. However when Diaw is globally passive as he was today, things become a bit more complicated. I also thought Parker was shouting at his teammates and pointing to what they should be doing, but Greece D is what it is.

Not sure what happened with De Colo. He was certainly a key player against Lithuania and Greece. He's streaky as hell, though. From what he says, he has to be involved early in the game to get his confidence going. So far so good.

Looking forward, I have no idea what are the strengths of the Russian team, so not sure how France matches up with them. One thing is sure, though, if Spain and France meet in the final game, I don't see how France can defend the post. Noah is too raw, Seraphin too young, Traoré too prone to mistakes... only Flo Pietrus can help and he's going to rack up fouls really fast.

ForeignFan
09-16-2011, 01:40 PM
tight game so far vs Russia 33-29 for France

Admidave50
09-16-2011, 01:44 PM
3pt by TP! France playing pretty good in the 2nd quarter!

ForeignFan
09-16-2011, 01:45 PM
39-34 at half time for Les Bleus

The Great Fantastic
09-16-2011, 02:06 PM
I almost added to my critique of Parker yesterday that he should stop shooting three pointers. 2/2 so far today. :lol

He has regained his shooting touch today and played some pretty good defense. :toast

Nando still needs more looks. Made one extremely lazy pass but he has looked good otherwise.

WeNeedLength
09-16-2011, 02:21 PM
These commentators like to trash on Parker when they can:

"He even missed an open shot." Lol wtf. I guess he should be shooting 100% or something..

romain.star
09-16-2011, 02:38 PM
Man... I can smell paella

romain.star
09-16-2011, 02:39 PM
Bring Noah back please

romain.star
09-16-2011, 02:41 PM
Those russians are about to shoot some 3s....

Dex
09-16-2011, 02:48 PM
France qualifies for the Olympics and is on to the gold medal game! Great job!

Tony almost looked dazed as the final buzzer sounded.

Mel_13
09-16-2011, 02:49 PM
Well done, Tony. :toast

Played 37 of 40 minutes. 22 points. Direct qualification to London and a place in the Gold Medal game.

Admidave50
09-16-2011, 02:50 PM
Really good game for France! TP was good and Batum was great!

Bruno
09-16-2011, 02:51 PM
:elephant

romain.star
09-16-2011, 02:53 PM
It's really nice to support this team. Those boys are great

Difficult game on sunday against spain though

Lady M
09-16-2011, 02:53 PM
on est en finale on est en finale on est on est on est en finale
et au JO

Bruno
09-16-2011, 03:03 PM
Great great summer for FNT. Even if they lost against Spain, it will still remain the case. It's great for TP to go to the Olympics after all the efforts he put with the NT, it was one of his career's goal. Huge props to him. :tu

Pauleta14
09-16-2011, 03:39 PM
So Bruno, have you (even slightly) change your opinion about our chances against spain?

mathbzh
09-16-2011, 03:44 PM
It's great for TP to go to the Olympics after all the efforts he put with the NT, it was one of his career's goal. Huge props to him. :tu

I will always remember he was there to qualify France for Eurobasket 2009. It was a long way for him and he really deserved playing in the Olympics. :tu

Bruno
09-16-2011, 03:57 PM
So Bruno, have you (even slightly) change your opinion about our chances against spain?

I'm a little less pessimist but I still think Spain is the best team and will win Sunday. Some Spanish players haven't played at all at their level like Calderon but I fear that the Gasol's brothers, Ibaka and even Reyes will be too much for French bigmen.

After their great summer, France have nothing to lose in this game. It's a bonus game for them since the main goal was the Olympics after having missed the 2 last ones.

quentin_compson
09-16-2011, 04:01 PM
France-Russia was a great game to watch. Props to TP and his fellow countrymen.
Like Bruno said, the final is a bonus game, and France have nothing to lose against Spain.

Dex
09-16-2011, 04:05 PM
I'm a little less pessimist but I still think Spain is the best team and will win Sunday. Some Spanish players haven't played at all at their level like Calderon but I fear that the Gasol's brothers, Ibaka and even Reyes will be too much for French bigmen.

After their great summer, France have nothing to lose in this game. It's a bonus game for them since the main goal was the Olympics after having missed the 2 last ones.

Yeah, doesn't bode well that Spain has a killer frontline, whereas France's (while talented with Diaw and Noah) has been playing very passively in the games I've seen.

All Spain has to do is what the Griz did to the Spurs; force the ball inside and take advantage.

Bruno
09-16-2011, 04:09 PM
And what made this Eurobasket even more fun to watch are french commentators (Cozette and Monclar). They are the best at commentating sports events in France.

Now, it would be great if the NBA could end the lockout. At least, there is still the rugby WC.

Bruno
09-16-2011, 04:17 PM
Next year Olympic games could be nice for France if they are lucky health wise. This year team was missing Beaubois, Turiaf, Mike Pietrus, Diot and Bokolo. Gelabale has also sprained his ankle in this Euro. FNT at full strength could get an Olympic medal next year.

Pauleta14
09-16-2011, 04:21 PM
I think the "4+1" zone defense we saw against spain looked very efficient against Navarro (who is by far the biggest threat to me, even more than the Gazol brothers!).

If we keep the same defensive intensity, we can put them out if their comfort zone (they are not THAT comfortable against our atletic D, remember the 1st half WITHOUT Tony and Noah) and if FINALY Diaw wakes up we have a shot!!

And remember, "Impossible n'est pas français!"... :ihit

will_spurs
09-16-2011, 06:12 PM
Everything is possible in one game... so there's always hope. I often hear that France doesn't have enough dimensions, with Parker and Batum shouldering most of the load offensively, but look at the other semifinal's boxscore and you will see that Spain doesn't look much better in this regard.

Spain has a clear advantage on the frontline. Actually the main issue is that I think the French bigmen can stay with Spain's bigs... but they will rack up too many fouls to do that until the end. If other players are hot, and especially if Gelabale is back at full strength, there is a chance.

In any case it's a bonus game for France, no pressure, so anything can happen.

sonic21
09-17-2011, 03:15 AM
And what made this Eurobasket even more fun to watch are french commentators (Cozette and Monclar). They are the best at commentating sports events in France.

unfortunately, france2 often broadcast finales when a french NT is there (hanball, women basketball...). Hopefully, it won't be the case.

sinok
09-17-2011, 03:57 AM
Well, they bought the final rights. However, it will be on France4. And the will nbe on canal+/canal+ sport also...

Clearly...

sinok
09-17-2011, 03:57 AM
Well, they bought the final rights. However, it will be on France4. And the will nbe on canal+/canal+ sport also...

Clearly...