PDA

View Full Version : Matt Cassel has rib injury, could miss Buffalo game

DeadlyDynasty
09-04-2011, 10:20 PM
This is why you don't play your starters in the last preseason game...maybe Buffalo has a chance now. Their TE Tony Moeaki was lost for the year in that game, too.

Chiefs QB Cassel has rib injury, could miss Buffalo game

By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

Chiefs quarterback Matt Cassel could miss the season opener after he injured his ribs when he was sacked by Packers defensive tackle Howard Green in KC's final preseason game.

The Chiefs said Matt Cassel had nothing more than the wind knocked out of him when he left their final preseason game against Green Bay midway through the second quarter after being sacked.

It turns out Cassel has more than that. Cassel has a rib injury that could prevent him from playing in Sunday’s regular season opener against Buffalo at Arrowhead Stadium.

If Cassel can’t play against the Bills, Tyler Palko is the likely starting quarterback. Palko has bounced around to several NFL teams but has never started a regular-season game.

A source close to the situation said Chiefs coach Todd Haley told Palko after the game, “You’d better be ready to play Sunday.’’

Cassel was injured when Green Bay’s 340-pound defensive lineman, Howard Green, landed on top of Cassel after the sack. Cassel got up in obvious pain after the play and immediately left the game in favor of Palko.

Cassel later did some throwing on the sideline as if he was going back in the game. He never did.

Cassel went with the rest of the Chiefs to the locker room at halftime but did not return with them to begin the second half. He did return to their sideline at the start of the fourth quarter.

After the game, he said he would be ready to play against the Bills.

“I just got the wind knocked out of me,’’ he said. “We were just being cautious.’’

Haley hasn’t been available to answer questions about Cassel’s status since immediately after the Green Bay game. At that time, he said, “He wanted to go back in. I thought the prudent thing was to be smart there.

“Unfortuntately, he got dinged up a little bit. I’m not overly concerned.’’

The Chiefs lost Tony Moeaki for the season with a left knee injury in the loss to the Packers. Moeaki was also injured in the second quarter.

Normally, starters are removed from a team’s fourth and final preseason game by the end of the first quarter to protect them from injury. As a comparison, the Packers pulled their starters after each team had one possession Friday night.

The Chiefs were miserable offensively in their one game without an injured Cassel last season. They lost 31-0 to the Chargers in San Diego and gained just 67 yards.

Cassel also missed the season-opener in 2009 with a knee injury. The Chiefs lost that day 38-24 to the Ravens in Baltimore. In both games, Brodie Croyle was their starting quarterback.

The left-handed Palko, 28, has led a nomadic life since the end of his collegiate career at Pittsburgh in 2006. He joined New Orleans as an undrafted free agent in 2007 and bounced back and forth between the Saints’ active roster and their practice squad.

He was cut by the Saints the following season and was out of football until 2009, when he signed with Arizona. The Cardinals cut him before the start of the season and he was later picked up by Pittsburgh.

But Palko never played in an NFL game until joining the Chiefs last season. He was on their practice squad for most of the season before becoming their third quarterback.

He played late in the game in lopsided losses to San Diego and Oakland, throwing six passes and completing four for 35 yards.

Palko was the Chiefs’ best quarterback in the preseason through the first three games. He didn’t play well against the Packers, throwing two interceptions. He also threw a 2-yard touchdown pass to Dwayne Bowe.

Assuming he’s the Chiefs starter against the Bills, Palko has never had an opportunity like this one.

“I feel like I’ve gotten better every day in training camp and that’s really my main focus,’’ Palko said recently. “It’s not to look at anything past just getting better every day. I know it sounds boring, but I’m not in a situation where I can really look ahead.

“Every opportunity you get, you’ve got to try to seize the moment and do your job.’’

Read more: http://www.kansascity.com/2011/09/04/3121062/chiefs-qb-cassel-has-rib-injury.html#ixzz1X2opYRMD

http://www.kansascity.com/2011/09/04/3121062/chiefs-qb-cassel-has-rib-injury.html

Lincoln
09-05-2011, 03:27 AM
Looks like I'm starting fucking Fitzpatrick

pawe
09-05-2011, 12:38 PM
If you are a young team with a lot of new players specifically in QB and skilled positions, you play extended minutes in the pre season specially this year.
But since Cassel has been with the chiefs for a few years now, he should've just ran 1-2 series.
SD will win that division anyway.

Pistons < Spurs
09-05-2011, 05:44 PM
Haley is an idiot.

Pistons < Spurs
09-05-2011, 05:49 PM
But I fully expect Cassel to play game 1. He was a full participant in today's practice.

Moeaki is the bigger loss. He was going to be a big part of the offense and the primary security blanket for Cassel and his check downs. McCluster will probably take on a bigger role now.

Not expecting a ton from my Chiefs this year. Last years easy schedule vs. this seasons much tougher one will be a huge difference. But I do think the defense will be stellar. Hoping for an 8-8 year.

pawe
09-05-2011, 08:04 PM
Steve Breaston will be reunited with Todd Haley and Chiefs fan will be happy with him since he always hustles and has good hands.
Only knock on him is his ability to stay healthy.