PDA

View Full Version : Longhorns and Red Raiders Could Share Regional Network

FoxPerez
09-05-2011, 11:58 PM
From The Daily Six Shooter (http://bit.ly/pM9X1J) at PlaymakerOnline.com (http://www.playmakeronline.com)

I really thought this weekend was going to be different. I really thought that with actual games being played and teams starting to keep score and records starting to accumulate that the shift of the college football world’s attention would change after a crazy offseason centering around networks and conferences. But that was not to be as late breaking news yesterday revealed that the Pac 12 is once again considering an expansion that would include four Big 12 teams: Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, and Texas Tech.

At first this was dismissed because people thought that the Longhorn Network wouldn’t be able to remain if such a move was made, but now it seems that the ESPN-UT venture could be altered to fit the Pac 12′s television deals. A revision of the network could split it up into two separate regions with one covering the Longhorns and Red Raiders while the other covered the Sooners and the Cowboys.

The fundamental problem with such a plan is that it’s based on the false premise that the Texas-Tech rivalry is equivalent to the OU-OSU rivalry. The two aren’t equal. Of course, the equivalent for Texas would be A&M but, as we covered last week, they bailed out of a possible joint venture with the Horns. The new Pac 16 with those four schools added would rival what the SEC puts out as far as power football programs. It would also make the baseball, volleyball, swimming and diving, and soccer seasons all the more exciting.

But then you have to start wondering what the scheduling would be like? Each eight team division would play a full slate against each other. That’s seven games. You couldn’t play half of the other division’s teams in two year rotations because that would take up a full schedule, all in conference. No warm up games or possible inter-conference matchups would be possible. You’d have to play two teams from the other division every season and it would take a full eight years before you got through a home-and-home series with all of them.

On the other hand, to play no pre-conference game would be a gamble that could pay off in making the rich richer. Only power conference teams could be ranked and no outsiders would be able to challenge them because there wouldn’t be space on the schedule. It’s taken years upon years for Boise State and TCU to break into consistent top rankings and neither has still had a shot at a national title. And then the BCS got away with matching the two up in a bowl game so that they couldn’t get a chance to upset the other schools from the power conference to prove that they actually belonged in the national championship discussion.

Sadly, it’s a path that leads to the very antithesis of what sports are supposed to be all about on a fundamental basis. Even if there isn’t equality in money, talent, TV exposure and everything else, at least everyone gets their shot and every game matters. In the age of the super conference, there not just be games that don’t matter, but schools and entire leagues that don’t either.

Fpoonsie
09-06-2011, 12:11 AM
Stop posting.

NFO
09-06-2011, 10:59 AM
If Texas wanted to share a TV network with TT, the Texas AD would have approached
the TT AD the same time he went to the A&M AD.

tlongII
09-06-2011, 12:28 PM
Mizzou instead of TT?

ChumpDumper
09-06-2011, 01:15 PM
If Texas wanted to share a TV network with TT, the Texas AD would have approached
the TT AD the same time he went to the A&M AD.If you had read the OP, you might understand why this would happen now.

NFO
09-06-2011, 02:12 PM
If you had read the OP, you might understand why this would happen now.

a) reading is over rated

b) it was just a joke.

DMX7
09-06-2011, 07:11 PM
It's not going to happen.

Sisk
09-06-2011, 08:16 PM
It's not going to happen.

What, exactly? Texas sharing their network? So they're going indy?

DMX7
09-06-2011, 09:26 PM
Texas isn't going to share its network in any meaningful way. I know UTSA football is on it, but those circumstances are much different. I believe Texas will go indy if they have to in order to keep the network for itself.

Sisk
09-06-2011, 09:34 PM
Texas isn't going to share its network in any meaningful way. I know UTSA football is on it, but those circumstances are much different. I believe Texas will go indy if they have to in order to keep the network for itself.

I really hope that happens. I doubt it will, and I'd put my money on Texas/TT/OU/OSU to the PAC, but I hope Texas goes independent.

DMX7
09-06-2011, 09:42 PM
Well... we'll just have to wait until Chip Brown tells us what's going to happen. LOL

Sisk
09-06-2011, 09:49 PM
Well... we'll just have to wait until Chip Brown tells us what's going to happen. LOL

:lol

robino2001
09-06-2011, 09:58 PM
I liked and agreed with Jason Kings article saying the smart move is for the Pac12 to take UT, OU, OSU (for Pickens money) and KU (for bball) and have UT/OU create the superpower regional network. Sure, it'd likely never happen but I like the idea.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/news?slug=jn-king_kansas_hoops_would_fit_pac12_090611

FoxPerez
09-08-2011, 02:57 PM
All that matters is the media markets. For all the talk about how great the SEC is, per school, the Pac 12 has the most total TV contract money because there are so many huge markets in that conference.

If Texas moves to the Pac 12, it doesn't matter who comes with them. OU, OSU, TT, and every other Big 12 school doesn't have what Texas has when comes to drawing in an audience. THAT'S why they have their own network. They command every major market in Texas, which includes four of the top 54 media markets in the country. Florida is the only other state that can make that claim, but Dallas and Houston are both in the top 11 and there isn't one Florida school that dominates all four the way UT does.

So for pure money purposes, it makes most sense for Texas to bring some schools with it to the Pac 12. But considering that Texas could take a huge share of a new Big 12 contract and would be set to make more bonus money in BCS games, which would be easier to qualify for in a 10-team conference rather than a 16-team conference, by staying put plus they could keep a lot of their regional rivalries and control pre-conference games...

It makes way more sense for Texas to keep the Big 12 together.