PDA

View Full Version : Middle Eastern and Convenience Stores

cantthinkofanything
09-13-2011, 08:41 AM
Seriously (no racist).

I dont' have any problem with this but I'm just curious.

Why are there so many people of Middle Eastern and Indian descent working as convenience store clerks?

I don't live in an area that has a large population of that group but it seems that at least 30% of the clerks in convenience stores are either Middle Eastern or Indian.

Do they (or a relative) actually own the stores?

Does anyone have any input on this?

lefty
09-13-2011, 08:47 AM
Speaking of race, the OP's avatar reminds me of a black Paulie from Rocky

cantthinkofanything
09-13-2011, 08:51 AM
Asked about racism in light of the fact that she's one of the few blacks ever crowned Miss Universe, Lopes said that "any racist needs to seek help. It's not normal in the 21st century to think in that way."

It wasn't a racist question. I don't care who works in the convenience store. I'm just curious why there seems to be a larger % of Middle Eastern/Indian than the population.

Babu
09-13-2011, 08:57 AM
It wasn't a racist question. I don't care who works in the convenience store. I'm just curious why there seems to be a larger % of Middle Eastern/Indian than the population.

You don't fool me. You are a bad man!....a very bad man!

boutons_deux
09-13-2011, 09:06 AM
retail (clerking) requires little or no skill, no experience.

Also, a lot of south Asians run cheap chain hotels, where they also get a place to live.

cantthinkofanything
09-13-2011, 10:23 AM
retail (clerking) requires little or no skill, no experience.

Also, a lot of south Asians run cheap chain hotels, where they also get a place to live.

I'm not talking about the hotels. Yes, I realize that clerking doesn't require much skill. But where are all the unskilled whites and blacks? Both the white and black populations are much higher than the Middle Eastern / Indian where I live. So why is the convenience store clerk population skewed.

Also, a lot of them are managers. Which I assume takes a greater level of skill / experience. So I wonder if in the cases, where they are a manager, are they also in fact the owner?

4>0rings
09-13-2011, 11:30 AM
Unskilled whites and blacks can't manage a savings account like a towel head. Good friend from paki said they only sell to other paki's once they own one, that's why their ownership keeps growing. They also don't like to have to be a salesman, they want you to come to them, so they run business's like that. Corner store, motels...

cantthinkofanything
09-13-2011, 11:34 AM
Unskilled whites and blacks can't manage a savings account like a towel head. Good friend from paki said they only sell to other paki's once they own one, that's why their ownership keeps growing. They also don't like to have to be a salesman, they want you to come to them, so they run business's like that. Corner store, motels...

So it is on an ownership level. At least based on your friend's comments. That's really what I was wondering.

Viva Las Espuelas
09-13-2011, 11:34 AM
I didn't realize it but I watched Russell Peters's newest standup and said that Mumbai attack that happened a couple of years ago was on 7-11. I l:loll'dedid

sonnytris
09-13-2011, 12:23 PM
I happened to work in the Middle East for twenty years(20) . Spoke to a lot of the Asians and Other Arabs(AOA's) about this trend in Texas. Their answer is that they have a group(12) of familys who contribute a set amount monthly (example: 5000USD) So that one family will have that total(60000USD) given to them one time in the 12 month period but they still must continue to contribute the original amount of 5000usd for rest of year . This way they have enough to buy a small business or (down payment) and they partially bypass our banks. They also have different priortys such as : more than one family lives in a home, all family menbers works in the business and most of all they share their problems and solutions during the start up of these business. Do not know if they all do this but the people who told me this were very good freinds and workers during my time Saudi Arabia

cantthinkofanything
09-13-2011, 04:49 PM
I did some half-ass research on this and found several blogs mentioning that the foreigners get interest free loans up to $75,000 and in addition, don't have to pay taxes for 7 years. It was hypothesized that after this period is up, they sell the business to a family member or friend. If all that is true, it would explain the ownership of the convenience stores. And donut shops for that matter. I'm assuming these are low margin businesses that would be hard for someone to make a good living. The interest free loan and tax benefits swing it the other way.

SnakeBoy
09-13-2011, 05:37 PM
Immigrants in general are more willing to work long hours and take risk to take advantage of the freedoms & opportunities of this country. Most Americans on the other hand expect a paycheck, benefits, & 40hr work week without putting their own ass on the line.

DMC
09-13-2011, 06:15 PM
They ran similar markets in their home countries. They don't give a shit what you think.

DMC
09-13-2011, 06:17 PM
I did some half-ass research on this and found several blogs mentioning that the foreigners get interest free loans up to $75,000 and in addition, don't have to pay taxes for 7 years. It was hypothesized that after this period is up, they sell the business to a family member or friend. If all that is true, it would explain the ownership of the convenience stores. And donut shops for that matter. I'm assuming these are low margin businesses that would be hard for someone to make a good living. The interest free loan and tax benefits swing it the other way.
Because Middle Easterners are the only foreigners in the US.

mavs>spurs
09-14-2011, 03:02 AM
Because Middle Easterners are the only foreigners in the US.
true tbh, beaners are non-foreign nor are the chinks, chinks are just as native as skunks on this continent tbh

Hooks
09-14-2011, 03:46 AM
The real question should be why they never wear any damn deodorant. (no racist)