PDA

View Full Version : I hate BOFA, who to bank with?

4>0rings
09-13-2011, 01:34 PM
Basically just want a free checking account w/ billpay. Bank of America charges $12!! Frost $5 w/ charges for each online payment etc...

These banks want you to have 25k just sitting in a checking or savings account for it to be free. What retard would let 25k SIT in a checking or a shitty savings account and not have that money working for them somewhere else? I've had a mortgage, business checking and savings, and personal checking and savings with bofa forever and I'm moving everything from that shithole.

Does any bank have free checking?

Bill_Brasky
09-13-2011, 01:36 PM
Go credit union. One time fee to join, probably something like 20 bucks, but they don't do all those extra bullshit charges like banks. University Credit Union is good if you live in ATX.

clambake
09-13-2011, 01:38 PM
why not deposit your money in that girls hiney?

4>0rings
09-13-2011, 01:40 PM
why not deposit your money in that girls hiney?
That ass is so big, it could hold CosmicCowboys account in it.

leemajors
09-13-2011, 01:41 PM
most checking is free if you have direct deposit set up from what I have seen, or if you are a student. chase will give you $125 for opening a checking account as long as you have $200 in the first month.

Viva Las Espuelas
09-13-2011, 02:04 PM
Of all the banks, I hear people bitch about BoA the most.

CubanMustGo
09-13-2011, 02:09 PM
Been with Randolph-Brooks FCU a long, long time. Not only is checking free, but they even pay interest (admittedly, close to zero right now). You also get a dime for each debit card transaction you make, and since most of us use these things instead of cash, it can add up - I got back like $80 last year. Great service, lots of ways to qualify (even in the ATX now), and superior rates to most CUs and basically all banks (like a 1.9% rate on new or used cars for starters, or the 3.05% mortgage rate I'm now paying). More and more branches all the time in SA and ATX and points inbetween. http://www.rbfcu.org/ for details.

TDMVPDPOY
09-13-2011, 02:09 PM
you ever thought of bargaining with them or take ur business to another bank...they will usually either fix or tell u gtfo

coyotes_geek
09-13-2011, 02:13 PM
credit union :tu

pkbpkb81
09-13-2011, 02:16 PM
If it is a new acct no bank offers free checking any more Obama won’t let them

If you have been with the bank than your acct is grandfathered in and is still free

SnakeBoy
09-13-2011, 02:19 PM
I switched from BofA to Broadway Bank a couple of years ago and have been happy with them. You can check here if their checking accounts float your boat...http://broadwaybank.com/personalbanking/CheckingComparisonChart.html

Viva Las Espuelas
09-13-2011, 02:26 PM
.they will usually either fix or tell u gtfo

I usually hear the latter, as well.

Drachen
09-13-2011, 02:30 PM
Firstmark credit union FTW. I am constantly surprised that anyone still users a bank.

ashbeeigh
09-13-2011, 02:32 PM
i was going to start a thread like this as well. chase sent me a letter stating their fee was going up yesterday.

i have direct deposit, but they require it to be a full $500 everytime to waive the fee. it's shy of that by about 20. or i have to have a balance of 1500. lammeee.

desflood
09-13-2011, 02:37 PM
I can definitely back up the credit union posters. I use SSFCU and love it.

pawe
09-13-2011, 02:45 PM
Basically just want a free checking account w/ billpay. Bank of America charges $12!! Frost $5 w/ charges for each online payment etc...

These banks want you to have 25k just sitting in a checking or savings account for it to be free. What retard would let 25k SIT in a checking or a shitty savings account and not have that money working for them somewhere else? I've had a mortgage, business checking and savings, and personal checking and savings with bofa forever and I'm moving everything from that shithole.

If you have a bofa credit card linked to your account, go to your Bofa banker and ask him to change your account to the Bank of America Enhanced checking account.
Just use your linked bofa credit card ONCE every month and you wont have to pay the $15 monthly fee.

If you dont have a linked credit card. Go to your bofa banker and apply for one THEN upgrade your checking account.

Problem solved. :)

CubanMustGo
09-13-2011, 03:45 PM
Or go to a CU and avoid the "oops, I forgot to use my credit card [etc.] so I have to pay whatever outrageous fee this bank wants to charge me this month" crap.

Problem really solved. :king

Lincoln
09-13-2011, 03:49 PM
Wells Fargo ;)

TimmehC
09-13-2011, 04:07 PM
credit union :tu
This.

pawe
09-13-2011, 04:34 PM
Or go to a CU and avoid the "oops, I forgot to use my credit card [etc.] so I have to pay whatever outrageous fee this bank wants to charge me this month" crap.

Problem really solved. :king

Yeah but you dont want to close a long standing bank account and lose a part of your credit history right?

ploto
09-13-2011, 06:04 PM
Ssfcu

ChuckD
09-13-2011, 08:00 PM
If I weren't with USAA FSB, I'd be with a CU or an internet bank.

Spursfan092120
09-13-2011, 08:19 PM
I am a banker at Wells Fargo...pkbpkb81 is right, unfortunately. If you do find a place that has a free checking acct, by itself, it won't soon. And it has nothing to do with Obama. It has to do with the Durbin amendment eliminating a lot of the ways banks earn income. Banks had to come up with other ways to earn money, so they eliminated accts that just free. Now, with WF, if you are willing to open a savings acct with the checking and do a $25 once a month transfer from checking to savings (which you can move right back if you want to to checking if you need to) you will get no service fees and get free bill pay. They also have Wells Fargo at Work, which is a special service you may qualify for depending on where you work..gets you a lot of perks and benefits. A lot of banks no longer offer ANY ways to avoid a service fee on new accts. WF still does. The reason they choose the transfer is because a lot of people will let their savings accts sit there, never putting any money in them, causing them to close. That's not helping you or WF...so the small transfer, keeping the account active, is all you'd need to do to avoid service fees. Now, overdrafts and things like that are another story..you can get fees for those..but that's any bank.

fraga
09-13-2011, 08:27 PM
SSFCU
SACU
USAA

Pick one...

Das Texan
09-13-2011, 10:00 PM
I use River City Federal Credit Union.

They offer a higher interest rate on checking than any other credit union in this fucking town (that I know of)

DMC
09-13-2011, 10:09 PM
If you can get into a credit union, do that. I've been with Bank One (now Chase) for over 20 years. Never had a problem. They treat me like royalty (they treat everyone that way) when I walk in.

Before that I was with Frost. I had far too many account issues, and situations where they won't not accept a bank draft (wrote my own back then) without my credentialing form, and the next time I would send it in and they would say "Sir, we don't need this". However, the last straw was when their ATM gave me 180 dollars from a 100 request and my receipt said 100.00. I walked in, showed them my money and said "Your ATM has a problem" and the girl behind the counter said "No sir, our ATM is calibrated and doesn't have any issues, we cannot give you any more money" I said "Ok, I guess the extra 80 is for me then" and she changed like that "oh you were given too much, we can take care of that" I said "nope" and just walked out.

DMX7
09-13-2011, 10:14 PM
What banks want you to have 25K min balance to avoid fees. Isn't it usually more like 1500?

Venti Quattro
09-13-2011, 11:31 PM
Chase

DMX7
09-13-2011, 11:33 PM
Look in the mail for a coupon. Chase usually gives you between $125 and $150 just for starting a checking account.

ElNono
09-14-2011, 12:06 AM
In the NorthEast, TD Bank only requires $200. I have free checking with Sovereign Bank also, but not sure it works for new accounts.

4>0rings
09-14-2011, 01:01 AM
Anyone have any experience with Ally?

RandomGuy
09-14-2011, 08:47 AM

Banks are having to scale back some of their more predatory fees, like overdraft protection and really high interest credit cards, due to banking reform.

They are also getting almost free money loaned to them from the Federal Reserve, so they have very little motivation to actually hold something as silly as depositor cash. Note: When you depost money in the bank you are, in essence, loaning them money.

Good luck finding free checking when CEOs are being pressed to keep earnings high as fee income dries up.

Ed Helicopter Jones
09-14-2011, 10:12 AM
Bank of America is one of the worst banks in the country.

Credit unions are usually the most hassle free when it comes to fees, minimum deposits, etc.

Ed Helicopter Jones
09-14-2011, 10:12 AM
Did I say country? B of A is one of the worst banks in the world.

CavsSuperFan
09-14-2011, 10:57 AM
Every 6 months somebody asks this question…The general consensus is that Banks are rip off artists…They profit not from savvy investments but rather exorbitant fees aimed at lower income people…Credit Unions are always the better choice…

DMX7
09-14-2011, 11:02 AM
In all my years of checking, I've never paid a fee for free checking of any kind. Not even an ATM machine fee. It's not hard to avoid the fees at all.

DesignatedT
09-14-2011, 11:18 AM
I've always used IBC. Never any problems. Open til 8pm and open on Sundays till 2.

Credit Union is also the way to go. RBFCU