PDA

View Full Version : If there is no season, should the Spurs buy out Duncan?

LkrFan
09-15-2011, 04:27 PM
Serious question. He doesn't have much left in the tank and he is making some serious cheddar when factoring in his decline in production. Will RC pay him all of that jack this year if he doesn't play? I say cut your losses and make a business decision for the immediate future of your franchise.

Discuss.

boutons_deux
09-15-2011, 04:34 PM
Gfy

LkrFan
09-15-2011, 04:45 PM
Gfy

Son this is a serious thread. Bring something constructive to it if you can. It's a real possibility that this could be the last hurrah for Duncan. If there is no season, should the Spurs still pay him or make a business decision to buy him out? Buying him out brings some flexibility to make other moves and fill some holes in your roster. Is that too hard to fathom?

PS - are you mad at this thread, or at the fact you are still only a gray Spur fan with over 11,000 posts?

Let us proceed...

cantthinkofanything
09-15-2011, 04:52 PM
Son this is a serious thread. Bring something constructive to it if you can. It's a real possibility that this could be the last hurrah for Duncan. If there is no season, should the Spurs still pay him or make a business decision to buy him out? Buying him out brings some flexibility to make other moves and fill some holes in your roster. Is that too hard to fathom?

PS - are you mad at this thread, or at the fact you are still only a gray Spur fan with over 11,000 posts?

Let us proceed...

tl/dr

Roger Freemason Jr.
09-15-2011, 05:01 PM
Good question. Duncan is likely the most loyal player in the league, I don't see him having any qualms with accepting the vet min. But also, I wouldn't mind if they kept paying him, because although Lakers fans call him the tired old shitbag, he is a mighty defensive presence, he just can't do it in the post alone, he always had good help, i.e D-Rob, Oberto.

Mcdyess is good, but he is far from starting center material, Blair is undersized, Bonner is Bonner, and we've yet to see Splitter have a significant impact.

Kawhi is a SF who pulls down 10 rebounds a game though, so that's going to be good.

TimmehC
09-15-2011, 05:03 PM
Notwithstanding the fact that players don't get paid during a lockout, and this would have been the last year of Duncan's contract.

Dex
09-15-2011, 05:27 PM
Besides, Spurs are way too classy to buyout their franchise player.

boutons_deux
09-15-2011, 05:29 PM
son this is a serious thread. Bring something constructive to it if you can. It's a real possibility that this could be the last hurrah for duncan. If there is no season, should the spurs still pay him or make a business decision to buy him out? Buying him out brings some flexibility to make other moves and fill some holes in your roster. Is that too hard to fathom?

Ps - are you mad at this thread, or at the fact you are still only a gray spur fan with over 11,000 posts?

Let us proceed...

g f y

LkrFan
09-15-2011, 05:49 PM
Besides, Spurs are way too classy to buyout their franchise player.

If Kobe is showing that he is declining and not putting up numbers that coincide with justifying a large KT, Kobe will be out like 3 strikes. I guarantee you Dr. Buss makes a business decision. You need proof? Look at what he did to Shaq (who went on to win a ring 2 years later). He chose Kobe and won 2 rings (back to back no less :toast). Kobe has a no trade clause, but he doesn't have a no buy-out clause. Either way I ain't sweating it. I never thought the Lakers would have another star after Magic retired but I was wrong. From Mikan to Kobe - the Lakers have always had a star and I don't see that ever changing. :toast

mavs>spurs
09-15-2011, 06:15 PM
better ask him to retire imho spurs don't have to pay him shit if he picks this option

Dex
09-15-2011, 06:25 PM
You guys realize players don't get paid during a lockout, right?

This is why players don't want a lockout. I'm sure they'd all be fine with sitting around for a season if they were still pulling paychecks.

BlackSwordsMan
09-15-2011, 06:38 PM
He said he would retire if there were no season.

LkrFan
09-15-2011, 06:45 PM

Link? :downspin:

mavs>spurs
09-15-2011, 06:49 PM

or accept a paycut tbh, i want the spurs to keep duncan as long as he can jump and run but not for such salary. duncan should renew his contract to a smaller one that fits his squad role, as hes no longer a star player and hence not worth that much money imho

Koolaid_Man
09-15-2011, 06:56 PM
Serious question. He doesn't have much left in the tank and he is making some serious cheddar when factoring in his decline in production. Will RC pay him all of that jack this year if he doesn't play? I say cut your losses and make a business decision for the immediate future of your franchise.

Discuss.

buy the cock sucking magi out :lol....

LkrFan
09-15-2011, 06:59 PM
You guys realize players don't get paid during a lockout, right?

This is why players don't want a lockout. I'm sure they'd all be fine with sitting around for a season if they were still pulling paychecks.

Don't be a jack ass. You know there will be a season. Whether it is abbreviated or not there is too much money to lose on the players side or the owners side to not have a season.

Let's say it is an abbrevi*ted 55-game season. TD is scheduled to make $21.3M. Is he really worth that much jack for 55 games? Hell to the no - not for 13/8. Do you disagree?

mavs>spurs
09-15-2011, 07:17 PM
if TD was bought out then he would either 1) sign with a rival team (boston, dallas, LA etc...) or 2) retire right away, and i'd rather see #2 happening than #1. obviously hes not worth that much money but we still want him to stay with spurs & play another 3yrs or so till he retires, accepting a pay-cut should be the best option for him & the team as well imho

Roger Freemason Jr.
09-15-2011, 07:27 PM
if TD was bought out then he would either 1) sign with a rival team (boston, dallas, LA etc...) or 2) retire right away, and i'd rather see #2 happening than #1. obviously hes not worth that much money but we still want him to stay with spurs & play another 3yrs or so till he retires, accepting a pay-cut should be the best option for him & the team as well imho

I respectively disagree, you do bring valid points. & I hate to bring this up as many before me have, but his efficiency last season was good, for his limited minutes and possessions. Obviously the system changed last season to back court led system, one where Duncan's biggest priority was defense. He still procured many double doubles as well, and I couldn't spot too many fissures in his defense.

Dex
09-15-2011, 07:55 PM
Don't be a jack ass. You know there will be a season. Whether it is abbreviated or not there is too much money to lose on the players side or the owners side to not have a season.

Let's say it is an abbrevi*ted 55-game season. TD is scheduled to make $21.3M. Is he really worth that much jack for 55 games? Hell to the no - not for 13/8. Do you disagree?

I do disagree. While Duncan's numbers don't jump off the page, he is still the foundation to everything the Spurs do. Even in his twilight years, he's also one of the better post defenders in the league (although not nearly as good as he once was). Couple that with the fact that Duncan made the Spurs what they currently are, I think there is enough respect there to pay the man...even if it is overpaying.

If there is a 55 game season, he won't get paid 21.3M. He'll get the prorated amount for those 55 games, which he is owed by his contract.

From a personal stance, Tim Duncan is one of my favorite players (for obvious reasons) and I'd be pretty bummed if I didn't get to see him play his last season.

As for this post, the title starts with "If there is no season". If there is no season, the Spurs won't owe Duncan jack and he'll be off the books anyways, so why would they buy him out?

BRHornet45
09-15-2011, 09:48 PM
no son this has been discussed before. Spur fan would rather pay Duncan $20M per season because of something that he accomplished many years ago. they choose to ignore the scrub / glorified Greg Ostertag that he has become recently.

ElNono
09-15-2011, 09:52 PM
no son this has been discussed before. Spur fan would rather pay Duncan $20M per season because of something that he accomplished many years ago. they choose to ignore the scrub / glorified Greg Ostertag that he has become recently.

Son, the day Capt West delivers 4 chips, you'll get it. Oh, wait, Capt West is a free agent and will probably GTFO. Never mind.

ElNono
09-15-2011, 09:53 PM
And if there's no season, TD should retire.

The Refrigerator
09-15-2011, 09:57 PM
What would be the point in buying him out? The spurs will never be contenders again regardless. Instead they can just keep him on the roster and continue milking their ignorant fat beaner fan base out of money based on the name recognition of a washed up version of the most overrated big man in history. Business 101.