PDA

View Full Version : lol netflix

DUNCANownsKOBE
09-16-2011, 08:43 AM
http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=NFLX+Basic+Chart

lol dipping from $300 a share to $169 a share because of their retarded price change

Viva Las Espuelas
09-16-2011, 09:29 AM
Squeaky wheel gets the grease

Drachen
09-16-2011, 09:43 AM
probably a good time to make a purchase.... Though they do finally have some competition, that competition isn't ready for prime time. Additionally, they are about to start a 43 country expansion. I do not have the extra 160 bucks lying around to buy even one share, so that sucks for me.

hater
09-16-2011, 09:44 AM

lol dipping from $300 a share to $169 a share because of their retarded price change

not because of their price change genius. They lost a major distributor Starz.

their price raise was not due to their greed, the studios are playing hardball with them.

netflix = fucked

hater
09-16-2011, 09:46 AM
But I agree it could be a good time to buy because if they manage to somehow overcome the odds, damns that shit will skyrocket

CosmicCowboy
09-16-2011, 10:42 AM
I wouldn't count Netflicks out yet. They have quietly been going into their own content production and if they get a few hits they will have been the first entertainment company to vertically integrate and control the whole process from concept to delivery which could be extremely profitable.

ManuBalboa
09-16-2011, 10:47 AM
netflicks sucks. Don't understand why people pay for it; they have barely anything for selection. (even before they lost starz)

Blake
09-16-2011, 11:11 AM
when is the last day that starz will be available on netflix?

Drachen
09-16-2011, 11:13 AM
netflicks sucks. Don't understand why people pay for it; they have barely anything for selection. (even before they lost starz)

$8 a month for plenty of good tv shows??? Yes please. Sure beats paying 80 for cable.

Ginobilly
09-16-2011, 11:14 AM
Netflix was golden up until they decided to lowball customers with their new release policy a couple years ago.

cheguevara
09-16-2011, 11:46 AM

do you pay for cable?

cheguevara
09-16-2011, 11:46 AM
Netflix was golden up until they decided to lowball customers with their new release policy a couple years ago.

what is that?

leemajors
09-16-2011, 12:16 PM
what is that?

that wasn't really their fault if they wanted studio releases for rent.

Cant_Be_Faded
09-16-2011, 12:35 PM
Supposedly the contracts they had with companies way back when they were pushing the envelope will be much much more expensive to renew these days so they are gonna lose more material. I agree the online movie library needs new juice fast.

Trill Clinton
09-16-2011, 12:46 PM

This.

I used to stream movies(xbox) and the selection was horrible. The only thing good were the tv shows.

Grey Spurfan
09-16-2011, 01:47 PM
Netflix would be a lot better if they actually had any movie I wanted to watch streaming..... ever.

MannyIsGod
09-16-2011, 02:14 PM
I guess people won't be happy until Netflix is gone and the studios only distribute films online through their portals and charge you an arm and a leg for it. Then I'm sure everyone will LOL Netflix.

BlackSwordsMan
09-16-2011, 02:14 PM
Netflix being forced to wait two weeks to send out new movies raising the price every month and have an over all shit collection of stream movies killed this shitty company not starz leaving. What did Starz take? The fuck is starz

BlackSwordsMan
09-16-2011, 02:15 PM
oh no spartacus and camelot are no longer streaming on netflix!

TE
09-16-2011, 02:53 PM
lol Netflix

CosmicCowboy
09-16-2011, 02:58 PM
The BIG question mark in Netflix's current strategy is how long the providers will keep giving them bandwidth for free. I read that 30% of the bandwidth currently being used is from Netflix. When people start getting bills for consuming "too much" bandwidth it could kill their distribution model.

Sense
09-16-2011, 03:59 PM
I guess people won't be happy until Netflix is gone and the studios only distribute films online through their portals and charge you an arm and a leg for it. Then I'm sure everyone will LOL Netflix.

pfft... we'll live...

icefilms > netflix

leemajors
09-16-2011, 04:09 PM
pfft... we'll live...

icefilms > netflix

that site probably won't last too much longer I would bet.

DUNCANownsKOBE
09-16-2011, 07:09 PM
The BIG question mark in Netflix's current strategy is how long the providers will keep giving them bandwidth for free. I read that 30% of the bandwidth currently being used is from Netflix. When people start getting bills for consuming "too much" bandwidth it could kill their distribution model.
This is speculation, but I bet we're <5 years away from "bandwidth" being in unlimited supply.

Wild Cobra
09-16-2011, 07:26 PM

Yes, it was a boneheaded decision to make such a large change at once. Still, their stocks will come back and now then is the perfect time to buy.

Who knows...

Maybe they had large stock reserves and planned this to buy back company stocks...

Anyone know if they bought back common stocks?

Wild Cobra
09-16-2011, 07:29 PM
Netflix to buy back up to $300 mln in shares (http://www.marketwatch.com/story/netflix-to-buy-back-up-to-300-mln-in-shares-2010-06-11-135480)

Drachen
09-16-2011, 07:51 PM
Netflix to buy back up to $300 mln in shares (http://www.marketwatch.com/story/netflix-to-buy-back-up-to-300-mln-in-shares-2010-06-11-135480)

I know they say there is a first time for everything, but I never thought that I would see the day where you posted some well thought out and cogent information, and then immediately turned around and backed it up. I am impressed WC, thank you for this information.

JudynTX
09-19-2011, 08:09 AM
I got this in an email this morning. The fuck?

I messed up. I owe you an explanation.

It is clear from the feedback over the past two months that many members felt we lacked respect and humility in the way we announced the separation of DVD and streaming and the price changes. That was certainly not our intent, and I offer my sincere apology. Let me explain what we are doing.

For the past five years, my greatest fear at Netflix has been that we wouldn't make the leap from success in DVDs to success in streaming. Most companies that are great at something – like AOL dialup or Borders bookstores – do not become great at new things people want (streaming for us). So we moved quickly into streaming, but I should have personally given you a full explanation of why we are splitting the services and thereby increasing prices. It wouldn’t have changed the price increase, but it would have been the right thing to do.

So here is what we are doing and why.

Many members love our DVD service, as I do, because nearly every movie ever made is published on DVD. DVD is a great option for those who want the huge and comprehensive selection of movies.

I also love our streaming service because it is integrated into my TV, and I can watch anytime I want. The benefits of our streaming service are really quite different from the benefits of DVD by mail. We need to focus on rapid improvement as streaming technology and the market evolves, without maintaining compatibility with our DVD by mail service.

So we realized that streaming and DVD by mail are really becoming two different businesses, with very different cost structures, that need to be marketed differently, and we need to let each grow and operate independently.

It’s hard to write this after over 10 years of mailing DVDs with pride, but we think it is necessary: In a few weeks, we will rename our DVD by mail service to “Qwikster”. We chose the name Qwikster because it refers to quick delivery. We will keep the name “Netflix” for streaming.

Qwikster will be the same website and DVD service that everyone is used to. It is just a new name, and DVD members will go to qwikster.com to access their DVD queues and choose movies. One improvement we will make at launch is to add a video games upgrade option, similar to our upgrade option for Blu-ray, for those who want to rent Wii, PS3 and Xbox 360 games. Members have been asking for video games for many years, but now that DVD by mail has its own team, we are finally getting it done. Other improvements will follow. A negative of the renaming and separation is that the Qwikster.com and Netflix.com websites will not be integrated.

There are no pricing changes (we’re done with that!). If you subscribe to both services you will have two entries on your credit card statement, one for Qwikster and one for Netflix. The total will be the same as your current charges. We will let you know in a few weeks when the Qwikster.com website is up and ready.

For me the Netflix red envelope has always been a source of joy. The new envelope is still that lovely red, but now it will have a Qwikster logo. I know that logo will grow on me over time, but still, it is hard. I imagine it will be similar for many of you.

I want to acknowledge and thank you for sticking with us, and to apologize again to those members, both current and former, who felt we treated them thoughtlessly.

Both the Qwikster and Netflix teams will work hard to regain your trust. We know it will not be overnight. Actions speak louder than words. But words help people to understand actions.

Respectfully yours,

-Reed Hastings, Co-Founder and CEO, Netflix

DUNCANownsKOBE
09-19-2011, 08:11 AM
"I messed up with the price increase, but I'm not gonna change it at all!"

good luck with that

JudynTX
09-19-2011, 08:14 AM
Shit, now I have to get used to saying Qwikster. :lol

Drachen
09-19-2011, 08:27 AM
"I messed up with the price increase, but I'm not gonna change it at all!"

good luck with that

Not what he wrote, but ok...

I am not sure, but I'll bet that the market reacts well to this.

DUNCANownsKOBE
09-19-2011, 08:30 AM
Not what he wrote, but ok...

If the markets change because of this it exemplifies how stupid people are. All he did was announce that he'd be changing the name of something, it doesn't do anything in the grand scheme of things. People like me who's account went from $10 a month to $16 a month and cancelled aren't gonna say, "Oh I get it! Now that there's two different names, I'm willing to accept a 60% price increase!"

gimmicky things like this are a sign of desperation

Drachen
09-19-2011, 08:36 AM
If the markets change because of this it exemplifies how stupid people are. All he did was announce that he'd be changing the name of something, it doesn't do anything in the grand scheme of things. People like me who's account went from $10 a month to $16 a month and cancelled aren't gonna say, "Oh I get it! Now that there's two different names, I'm willing to accept a 60% price increase!"

No he announced the seperation of two different movie delivery models in order to allow each to focus on their strengths and to use that specialization to gain competitive advantage. This happens all the time, when a company announces that they are spinning off superflous divisions to focus on "core competencies" the market generally assumes that this will make them more efficient. The only difference here is that the spinoff is the one with the traditional "core competency" and the main company has the desired "core competency".

DUNCANownsKOBE
09-19-2011, 08:49 AM
No he announced the seperation of two different movie delivery models in order to allow each to focus on their strengths and to use that specialization to gain competitive advantage. This happens all the time, when a company announces that they are spinning off superflous divisions to focus on "core competencies" the market generally assumes that this will make them more efficient. The only difference here is that the spinoff is the one with the traditional "core competency" and the main company has the desired "core competency".
:lol keep telling yourself he wasn't using all of this^ as a crock of shit reason to jack prices up

When companies announce they are "spinning off divisions" does it generally include a 60% price increase for customers?

Cane
09-19-2011, 09:25 AM

This.

I used to stream movies(xbox) and the selection was horrible. The only thing good were the tv shows.

Gotta agree with the above. Netflix's selection is pretty shitty.

Drachen
09-19-2011, 10:10 AM
:lol keep telling yourself he wasn't using all of this^ as a crock of shit reason to jack prices up

When companies announce they are "spinning off divisions" does it generally include a 60% price increase for customers?

I could care less what happened to the DVD service. My price didn't change. I was actually happy that they were raising prices . . . more revenue to lock in streaming contracts. Now they are spinning that division off, so that revenue won't materialize, but at least they can focus their efforts on building the side of the business that isn't going to take a nosedive in the near future. DVD's are a hassle, I cant believe anyone uses hardcopy of anything anymore, ESPECIALLY digital media.

cantthinkofanything
09-19-2011, 10:45 AM
LMAO. It has the tone of someone who sent out a drunk email or text last night and now, trying to explain it, is coming off like even a bigger douche.

Blake
09-19-2011, 11:11 AM
$8 a month for plenty of good tv shows??? Yes please. Sure beats paying 80 for cable.

sports please.

Blake
09-19-2011, 11:11 AM
when is the last day that starz will be available on netflix?

JudynTX
09-19-2011, 11:13 AM
LMAO. It has the tone of someone who sent out a drunk email or text last night and now, trying to explain it, is coming off like even a bigger douche.

:lol I got that impression too while reading it. I'm sorry for last night.

Drachen
09-19-2011, 11:16 AM
sports please.

Literally the ONLY arguement for paying for cable, with more sports bringing their offering to broadband without the necessity of a cable provider, that arguement is slowly waning.

Drachen
09-19-2011, 11:17 AM
feb 28 I think.

Sense
09-19-2011, 11:51 AM

This is exactly what I got from it.. it made me even more mad.. I had put my account on hold, but this is enough to cancel.

DPG21920
09-19-2011, 12:06 PM
I have to agree with Drachen. I don't think this "changes" anything but that wasn't the intent. The apology wasn't meant to say the made a business model mistake but to explain why they did what they did. Its not really about being swayed just because he apologized, its about looking into the logic of the moves and agreeing with the strategy.

Drachen
09-19-2011, 12:49 PM
pretty decent take on this.

link (http://gizmodo.com/5841675/why-netflix-just-cut-itself-in-half)

DUNCANownsKOBE
09-19-2011, 01:34 PM
n:loltflix down again today

jacobdrj
09-19-2011, 02:13 PM
Netflix used to have competition from Blockbuster... But Netflix sued Blockbuster, and won. I had a trial Blockbuster mail DVD subscription before I ever tried Netflix.

Netflix was pretty cool for old TV shows... But the content selection always feels like it is shrinking, never getting bigger or even staying the same. I gave my subscription to my brother. He is quite pleased watching the entire X-Files/Star Trek TNG series with his wife at night... But he will tire of that soon enough...

Netflix needs more streaming content. Period. Otherwise, they will die, price hike or not...

cantthinkofanything
09-19-2011, 02:18 PM
Netflix used to have competition from Blockbuster... But Netflix sued Blockbuster, and won. I had a trial Blockbuster mail DVD subscription before I ever tried Netflix.

Netflix was pretty cool for old TV shows... But the content selection always feels like it is shrinking, never getting bigger or even staying the same. I gave my subscription to my brother. He is quite pleased watching the entire X-Files/Star Trek TNG series with his wife at night... But he will tire of that soon enough...

Netflix needs more streaming content. Period. Otherwise, they will die, price hike or not...

I don't know how long they can keep it up but Blockbuster has significantly dropped the price on store rentals and games. Last week I rented two movies and a game for a few bucks. AND they gave me a coupon for a free Thor rental and another coupon for a free regular rental.

Chomag
09-19-2011, 02:42 PM
As soon as I finish up some of the series that I have been watching like Original Star trek and perhaps Lost. Consider me one of those that have walked away.

Pretty sad really, it was pretty awesome when I first joined a couple of years ago. It just seems like the moment they killed Blockbuster they no longer cared.

Fpoonsie
09-19-2011, 03:14 PM
I don't know how long they can keep it up but Blockbuster has significantly dropped the price on store rentals and games. Last week I rented two movies and a game for a few bucks. AND they gave me a coupon for a free Thor rental and another coupon for a free regular rental.

Lulz. Yeah, BB has become coupon crazy. For the summer, on Sundays, any movie title older than 6 weeks was $.49 each. Now, anything regularly priced .99 (movies (a year+ old) or games (6 mos or so old)) on Sundays is .49 each.

And they're also offering an introductory $8.00 offer on their Unlimited, 1-at-a-time exchange pass in-store for any movies or games. No due dates or late fees on anything.

I still have Netflix streaming, but waved bye-bye to my DVD mailer subscription over a year ago.

Blake
09-19-2011, 03:20 PM
Literally the ONLY arguement for paying for cable, with more sports bringing their offering to broadband without the necessity of a cable provider, that arguement is slowly waning.

true.

I checked on my CBS Sports fantasy team, clicked on the live game tracker and it went straight to the live NBC Sunday night game broadcast......

and was able to rewind to any part of the game.

Odd to see how CBS was forced to link directly to NBC, but it was awesome as all hell.

TheMACHINE
09-19-2011, 07:53 PM
Netflix sucks..i wanted to watch "50 First Dates"...and they didnt have it...wtf man!

Cant_Be_Faded
09-19-2011, 10:28 PM
When I finish Battlestar Galactica on instant play, I am going to have to reconsider this shit

Cant_Be_Faded
09-19-2011, 10:36 PM
pretty decent take on this.

link (http://gizmodo.com/5841675/why-netflix-just-cut-itself-in-half)

Indeed.

But I can't get over the fact that the DVD-by mail business is becoming a thing of the past.

What the fuck do you people do when you want to see a Blu-Ray movie without buying it?
Do that many people really buy the latest copy of X-Men First Class or do most people who give a fuck about that movie only see it in the theaters then forget about it?

I don't see how the DVD business can possibly be going the way of the dinosaur when there's no price effective way to watch HD movies online yet...price-wise the way Netflix used to be

MannyIsGod
09-19-2011, 11:18 PM
boycotting a service I like? Why? Its still a reasonable price for me.

Drachen
09-19-2011, 11:46 PM
The price is reasonable for most, but youd have to be a fool to not see where this is headed.

Well, when its no longer a ridiculous value we will boycott.

leemajors
09-20-2011, 06:16 AM
I have to agree with Drachen. I don't think this "changes" anything but that wasn't the intent. The apology wasn't meant to say the made a business model mistake but to explain why they did what they did. Its not really about being swayed just because he apologized, its about looking into the logic of the moves and agreeing with the strategy.

i'm sorry you're mad but i'm not really sorry isn't much of an apology.

DUNCANownsKOBE
09-20-2011, 09:27 AM
Down over 6% today.

Looks like the markets are reacting positively to this awesome name change idea!

MannyIsGod
09-20-2011, 10:37 AM
I don't understand why he felt the need to open with an apology. You really think you need to apologize for raising your rates that are still super low? He shit the bed by apologizing to begin with and the rest of the email just read like a really bad email/blog post. They're in need of some serious marketing and pr help, IMO.

They really need to come out at some point and put the blame for the lack of content where it belongs: with the content providers. People keep complaining that the library is not growing and its actually shrinking which is a completely valid complaint but there's not much to be done about it.

Netflix has basically done a really bad job of communicating to their customers why this is happening and most people think THEY are to blame.

Spurminator
09-20-2011, 11:42 AM
Yeah but throwing content providers under the bus probably isn't going to help them get content.

MannyIsGod
09-20-2011, 11:54 AM
Yeah well that's not going to matter if things keep going the way they have been. They just decided to split off the more profitable arm of their business so its sink or swim time.

Sense
09-20-2011, 01:41 PM
I don't understand why he felt the need to open with an apology. You really think you need to apologize for raising your rates that are still super low? He shit the bed by apologizing to begin with and the rest of the email just read like a really bad email/blog post. They're in need of some serious marketing and pr help, IMO.

He needed to open with an apology because he raised the prices out of nowhere to customers who have been netflix for a very long time, and they dropped them in an instant...

Say what you will about the prices, and how "fair" they are... their fault or not he still needs to apologize.

z0sa
09-20-2011, 02:01 PM
I only stream from Netflix. I'm on the BlockBuster monthly no-fees deal for 7.99 indefinitely thanks to a perk from the manager and I would prefer that anyway to new movies only via snail-mail.

DUNCANownsKOBE
09-20-2011, 02:12 PM
Are there blockbuster stores still in business? All the ones in AZ got shut down.

Fpoonsie
09-20-2011, 02:58 PM
Dish, thus far, plans to keep about 600 BB stores open.

There's a lot of 'em still open in the D/FW...prolly due to the fact that they're headquartered in McKinney.

Hooks
09-20-2011, 03:25 PM
The pirate bay>>>>>>> netflix

Idk why you guys don't use it.

CosmicCowboy
09-20-2011, 04:01 PM

They really need to come out at some point and put the blame for the lack of content where it belongs: with the content providers. People keep complaining that the library is not growing and its actually shrinking which is a completely valid complaint but there's not much to be done about it.

Netflix has basically done a really bad job of communicating to their customers why this is happening and most people think THEY are to blame.

I agree Manny. Content costs money and if you are a low cost supplier you are going to inevitably have lower tier content. I'm surprised they haven't gone to a tiered pricing system or modified pay-per-view for those that want more premium movies.

CosmicCowboy
09-20-2011, 04:03 PM
The pirate bay>>>>>>> netflix

Idk why you guys don't use it.

Because my son is an intellectual property attorney for a major LA studio and it wouldn't be cool at all for me to get busted STEALING content.

cantthinkofanything
09-20-2011, 04:14 PM
Because my son is an intellectual property attorney for a major LA studio and it wouldn't be cool at all for me to get busted STEALING content.

Couldn't you have just said you don't want to illegally obtain the videos?

CosmicCowboy
09-20-2011, 04:47 PM
Couldn't you have just said you don't want to illegally obtain the videos?

I could have. Is it a problem for you? Do you have insecurity and under achievement issues?

cantthinkofanything
09-20-2011, 04:54 PM
I could have. Is it a problem for you? Do you have insecurity and under achievement issues?

No. For a while I thought maybe I had some kind of chemical imbalance...but then I consulted with my dad who's the chief neurosurgeon at Johns Hopkins and he said I was OK.

CosmicCowboy
09-20-2011, 05:25 PM
No. For a while I thought maybe I had some kind of chemical imbalance...but then I consulted with my dad who's the chief neurosurgeon at Johns Hopkins and he said I was OK.

Glad to hear it. I see you got your intelligence from the bimbo trophy wife, but what the hell...I'm sure you will inherit something if she doesn't blow it all with Sancho.

cantthinkofanything
09-20-2011, 06:00 PM
Glad to hear it. I see you got your intelligence from the bimbo trophy wife, but what the hell...I'm sure you will inherit something if she doesn't blow it all with Sancho.

I was at the grocery store in the dairy
section when I came upon two women (a negro (no racist) and a White) reaching for the last pack of Kraft singles. The colored woman (no racist) yelled, "uh un. That's sancho cheese!"

Sense
09-20-2011, 10:21 PM

:wakeup

Wild Cobra
09-20-2011, 10:56 PM
Netflix sucks..i wanted to watch "50 First Dates"...and they didnt have it...wtf man!
Netflix: 50 First Dates (http://movies.netflix.com/WiSearch?oq=50+first+dates&ac_posn=-1&v1=50+first+dates&search_submit=)

Wild Cobra
09-20-2011, 10:58 PM
When I finish Battlestar Galactica on instant play, I am going to have to reconsider this shit
You're joking, right?

If it's worth keeping for Battlestar Galactica, then why do you think you won't find something else it's worthwhile for?

End it now, or stop quibbling.

Wild Cobra
09-20-2011, 11:00 PM
boycotting a service I like? Why? Its still a reasonable price for me.
LOL...

Same here.

I prefer Netflix $7.99 over $60/moth or so for cable.

Wild Cobra
09-20-2011, 11:01 PM
The price is reasonable for most, but youd have to be a fool to not see where this is headed.
If you think you know, enlighten us.

RGMCSE
09-21-2011, 12:14 AM
As soon as I finish watching this really fucking awesome show that has 12 seasons at 10 shows per, I'm going to quit this shit. I'm on show one season one. This is fucking ridiculous!

cantthinkofanything
09-21-2011, 07:27 AM
As soon as I finish watching this really fucking awesome show that has 12 seasons at 10 shows per, I'm going to quit this shit. I'm on show one season one. This is fucking ridiculous!

That sounds pretty cool. What show?

robino2001
09-21-2011, 08:37 AM
I only stream from Netflix. I'm on the BlockBuster monthly no-fees deal for 7.99 indefinitely thanks to a perk from the manager and I would prefer that anyway to new movies only via snail-mail.

I restarted my BB.com subscription a recently just to utilize their free month return trial as I'm building a movie library for the kids, so extra free access for a month can't hurt, right? Only a couple of weeks in and I'm quickly reminded exactly why I left them to begin with... their shipping times are horrendous. Even in returning the movies straight to BB, the fastest you can get movies in and out is a 6 day cycle while you can go 3 days THROUGH THE MAIL with netflix. As soon as BB.com started throttling a few years ago, I was out (same with gameznflix before that).

That said, because of the trial I went into the only BB brick store around me that survived and anything more than a couple of months old is only $0.50 or $1 for a 1 night rental... that is pretty cool (at least for building up the collection of older stuff, etc). Game rentals are still too expensive (~$10/week I think).

cantthinkofanything
09-21-2011, 09:04 AM
I restarted my BB.com subscription a recently just to utilize their free month return trial as I'm building a movie library for the kids, so extra free access for a month can't hurt, right? Only a couple of weeks in and I'm quickly reminded exactly why I left them to begin with... their shipping times are horrendous. Even in returning the movies straight to BB, the fastest you can get movies in and out is a 6 day cycle while you can go 3 days THROUGH THE MAIL with netflix. As soon as BB.com started throttling a few years ago, I was out (same with gameznflix before that).

That said, because of the trial I went into the only BB brick store around me that survived and anything more than a couple of months old is only $0.50 or $1 for a 1 night rental... that is pretty cool (at least for building up the collection of older stuff, etc). Game rentals are still too expensive (~$10/week I think).

They've got a lot of deals going on right now. One is a $14 per month deal where you get unlimited exchange of movies. But only 1 at a time.
It includes games and there are no late fees.

Also, they now only charge 99 cents per day for games. So you're not stuck having to pay the $8 bucks for 5 days. Or whatever it was.

Fpoonsie
09-21-2011, 10:26 AM
They've got a lot of deals going on right now. One is a $14 per month deal where you get unlimited exchange of movies. But only 1 at a time.

Also, they now only charge 99 cents per day for games. So you're not stuck having to pay the $8 bucks for 5 days. Or whatever it was.

Yeah. And the first month just to try that pass is only 8 bucks. The NEW games are actually 1.99/day, which can add up, and which is what makes the pass a money-saver, assuming one plays games/watches movies enough during the month.

Fpoonsie
09-21-2011, 10:29 AM

So, yeah, I work at the 'Buster in north D/FW.

Anyways, the online wasn't ever THAT streamlined. It tends to take a little longer and the selection can be, at times, limited or involve a "long wait." I think what they're hoping is that w/ the unlimited in store exchanges for the mailers, that customers don't get too upset at their lack of timely returns. It somewhat makes sense in theory, but I can certainly understand the frustration.

SourCandy
09-21-2011, 10:37 AM
I gave up my cable with time warner recently. I was paying about 140$ a month with the bundle package(phone,internet,cable) I just have internet now for about 40$ and I got netflix. I don't miss cable yet and netflix has kept me entertained. I won't miss cable till the spurs games and the walking dead start coming on again.

DMX7
09-21-2011, 10:39 AM
Netflix: 50 First Dates (http://movies.netflix.com/WiSearch?oq=50+first+dates&ac_posn=-1&v1=50+first+dates&search_submit=)

I think he was kidding.

Fpoonsie
09-21-2011, 10:43 AM
I gave up my cable with time warner recently. I was paying about 140$ a month with the bundle package(phone,internet,cable) I just have internet now for about 40$ and I got netflix. I don't miss cable yet and netflix has kept me entertained. I won't miss cable till the spurs games and the walking dead start coming on again.

Honestly, I've been trying to bring myself to doing the same, but Breaking Bad still has 2 eps left, Vampire Diaries just started back (not even ashamed to admit that I fucking love that show), and 30 Rock'll be back in a few weeks.

Not to mention college and pro football just started back. Neither was ever as appealing to me as it is now, now that NOT having them each Sat/Sun is a possibility.

leemajors
09-21-2011, 10:45 AM
Honestly, I've been trying to bring myself to doing the same, but Breaking Bad still has 2 eps left, Vampire Diaries just started back (not even ashamed to admit that I fucking love that show), and 30 Rock'll be back in a few weeks.

Not to mention college and pro football just started back. Neither was ever as appealing to me as it is now, now that NOT having them each Sat/Sun is a possibility.

The only reason I keep U200 on Uverse is for NFL red zone.

SourCandy
09-21-2011, 10:53 AM

I don't watch much tv the last show I kinda liked before walking dead was probably house. But Breaking bad...wow. It was streaming on netflix(first three seasons) and I gave it a shot. I watched the first season in a couple days I couldn't turn off the ps3 I was hooked.

I might slow it down a bit cause I might itch for it after i'm done like jesse and the pipe :lol

robino2001
09-21-2011, 11:11 AM
So, yeah, I work at the 'Buster in north D/FW.

Anyways, the online wasn't ever THAT streamlined. It tends to take a little longer and the selection can be, at times, limited or involve a "long wait." I think what they're hoping is that w/ the unlimited in store exchanges for the mailers, that customers don't get too upset at their lack of timely returns. It somewhat makes sense in theory, but I can certainly understand the frustration.

Au contraire for the streamlining, once upon a time it was incredibly streamlined (maybe as early as late 07, then all throughout 08). First, they shipped on Saturdays (don't anymore). Say you received a movie on Monday, you could drop it off in the drop box at the store Tuesday morning (on the way to work) and as long as it was scanned in before noon, they'd ship the next movie out the same day and you'd receive it Wednesday. Wash, rinse, repeat. 3 movies per week per disc checked out. If you REALLY wanted to be aggressive using the total access if just ripping movies, you could get a movie in the mail, rip it, exchange in-store the same day, rip it, then return the in-store by the next morning and double your throughput.

I think it was near late 08 that they began throttling the subscriptions. I know it was discussed on here a bit... movies needed to be checked in by noon the previous day to ship the next day. Then they sat on the movies for a day to slow down shipping from next day to 2 day. Anyways, they started playing games... eventually admitted it somewhere (some report to investors if I remember correctly) and so I gave up. I thought maybe they'd reverted back to the old style in trying to compete with netflix now, but it doesn't appear so.

True on the deals, but the catch is franchise vs corporate. Everything changes depending on which the store is. The one by my house is franchise and really doesn't play by corporates rules at all. I was interested in the $5/mo unlimited family/kids movies to rip through for a month to build up our collection, but they'd never even heard of it, let alone had it. So the various deals for games, movies, etc... they're all different depending on the store now - so for video games for us, we are stuck at the ~$10/week.

Speaking of games, I personally have not tried to use the video game portion of BB online but from what I've seen with coworkers, the games are all old, super crappy and are impossible to get. Coworker had 15 games in his queue, most crappy kids games that were available, and he sat for 3 weeks once without anything shipped. They always told him nothing was available and his queue wasn't deep enough - apparently 15 games (probably 12-13 shown as available) wasn't good enough. Anyway, if I had time to play games now, I might take a crack at it since I'm so far behind in games, the old catalog might not bother me, but I simply don't have time. As soon as my free trial runs out, I'm out of there.

Honest question... you can't have the plan below (was U100, is it still?) and just have the add-on HD package for $5/month?

Cant_Be_Faded
09-21-2011, 11:33 AM
You're joking, right?

If it's worth keeping for Battlestar Galactica, then why do you think you won't find something else it's worthwhile for?

End it now, or stop quibbling.

Cuz its an awesome show with themes i appreciate. Its one of the few really good shows i missed out on that i would like. There are like five seasons and episodes are an hour so it takes forever to finish. Other than that i haven't seen one whole shows i woulda enjoyed except Spartacus and they removed it. Do you know of any other show that has Lucy Lawless full frontal on instant?

MannyIsGod
09-21-2011, 11:34 AM

Sports are the absolute only reason I keep cable.

cantthinkofanything
09-21-2011, 11:37 AM
Yeah. And the first month just to try that pass is only 8 bucks. The NEW games are actually 1.99/day, which can add up, and which is what makes the pass a money-saver, assuming one plays games/watches movies enough during the month.

5 or 6 years ago, they had a deal that was $15-$17 (I think) per month and you had unlimited movie rentals and could keep 3 out at a time. For my family, this was pretty ideal. Wish they would go back to that.

True on the deals, but the catch is franchise vs corporate. Everything changes depending on which the store is. The one by my house is franchise and really doesn't play by corporates rules at all. I was interested in the $5/mo unlimited family/kids movies to rip through for a month to build up our collection, but they'd never even heard of it, let alone had it. So the various deals for games, movies, etc... they're all different depending on the store now - so for video games for us, we are stuck at the ~$10/week.

I didn't realzie that. I was telling a buddy about it but he swore they didn't have it as his local store.

BTW, Thor sucks.

cantthinkofanything
09-21-2011, 11:38 AM
Sports are the absolute only reason I keep cable.

Same here. I don't know if it's a recent change or if I just missed it before but they've been showing a ton of good soccer matches on a couple of channels.

leemajors
09-21-2011, 02:45 PM
Au contraire for the streamlining, once upon a time it was incredibly streamlined (maybe as early as late 07, then all throughout 08). First, they shipped on Saturdays (don't anymore). Say you received a movie on Monday, you could drop it off in the drop box at the store Tuesday morning (on the way to work) and as long as it was scanned in before noon, they'd ship the next movie out the same day and you'd receive it Wednesday. Wash, rinse, repeat. 3 movies per week per disc checked out. If you REALLY wanted to be aggressive using the total access if just ripping movies, you could get a movie in the mail, rip it, exchange in-store the same day, rip it, then return the in-store by the next morning and double your throughput.

I think it was near late 08 that they began throttling the subscriptions. I know it was discussed on here a bit... movies needed to be checked in by noon the previous day to ship the next day. Then they sat on the movies for a day to slow down shipping from next day to 2 day. Anyways, they started playing games... eventually admitted it somewhere (some report to investors if I remember correctly) and so I gave up. I thought maybe they'd reverted back to the old style in trying to compete with netflix now, but it doesn't appear so.

Speaking of games, I personally have not tried to use the video game portion of BB online but from what I've seen with coworkers, the games are all old, super crappy and are impossible to get. Coworker had 15 games in his queue, most crappy kids games that were available, and he sat for 3 weeks once without anything shipped. They always told him nothing was available and his queue wasn't deep enough - apparently 15 games (probably 12-13 shown as available) wasn't good enough. Anyway, if I had time to play games now, I might take a crack at it since I'm so far behind in games, the old catalog might not bother me, but I simply don't have time. As soon as my free trial runs out, I'm out of there.

Honest question... you can't have the plan below (was U100, is it still?) and just have the add-on HD package for $5/month?

It's not part of the sports package, and only shows up on the u200 plan and up. I have never seen anywhere to purchase it a la carte on the site either.

z0sa
09-21-2011, 02:54 PM

I just have one movie (or two? don't remember) through mail, one through the nearest store. I'm assuming ours is corporate because they had several specials available.

I can exchange as many movies/games as I like (1 at a time), including new movies, in the actual store. This is the main reason I bought it, personally, and I have yet to try the mail order process yet.

LnGrrrR
09-21-2011, 02:57 PM

The Walking Dead series is good, but the comic is 100X better.

robino2001
09-21-2011, 03:26 PM
It's not part of the sports package, and only shows up on the u200 plan and up. I have never seen anywhere to purchase it a la carte on the site either.

Was just wondering... I was thinking that it technically is part of the HD premium tier (with palladia, MGM movies or whatever, etc...) and that as long as your paid the $5 and had the $10 HD access, that you could get it... but I wasn't sure if there was a U200 minimum to get access to the tier. I've never had the tier but will likely sign up this weekend to get access just to Red Zone, though I've always wanted Palladia back but it was never worth the $5 to me for only that.

robino2001
09-21-2011, 03:29 PM
I just have one movie (or two? don't remember) through mail, one through the nearest store. I'm assuming ours is corporate because they had several specials available.

I can exchange as many movies/games as I like (1 at a time), including new movies, in the actual store. This is the main reason I bought it, personally, and I have yet to try the mail order process yet.

One of our old corporate BB's used to have that before they closed down... I was all about trying to figure out the cheapest/most efficient way to get as many movies as possible then and you could always use a combination of their different plans to work the system. Sounds like some of them do similar things... I'll just stick with the $0.50 rentals for now and get what I need/want that way, then use redbox for $1.20 newer stuff (once my netflix and bb accounts run out)

Wild Cobra
09-21-2011, 03:58 PM
I've been meaning to do the same, just haven't yet. I have 5 cells phones on my account, never use the LL. Hardly ever watch cable any more.

Wild Cobra
09-21-2011, 04:02 PM
Netflix possible had the inside scoop on probable postal changes. Since the USPS is doing so poorly, they are looking at eliminating hundreds of mail processing facilities, This means no more overnight Netflix deliveries in most location. Good reason to sell off a part of the company that will start to suffer.

cantthinkofanything
09-21-2011, 04:04 PM
Netflix possible had the inside scoop on probable postal changes. Since the USPS is doing so poorly, they are looking at eliminating hundreds of mail processing facilities, This means no more overnight Netflix deliveries in most location. Good reason to sell off a part of the company that will start to suffer.

the "inside scoop". lmao.

Wild Cobra
09-21-2011, 04:12 PM
the "inside scoop". lmao.
It USPS plans were announced after the Netflix decision.

cantthinkofanything
09-21-2011, 04:18 PM
It USPS plans were announced after the Netflix decision.

yeah. no one saw it coming.

RGMCSE
09-21-2011, 10:00 PM
That sounds pretty cool. What show?

Sarcasm... But I wouldn't mind watching Curb if it was available. Thankfully the poster the that mentioned Icefilms.org deserves some props. As soon as I saw his post I went to the site followed the instructions and started streaming. Curb's available too. It's awesome!

Heath Ledger
09-22-2011, 07:44 PM
Netflix, Hulu and Tehparadox (for cable tv shows and movies) is all I need.

A fileserve account for tehparadox. Total cost per month less than $20

BlackSwordsMan
10-10-2011, 09:58 AM
so much for qwikster
http://blog.netflix.com/2011/10/dvds-will-be-staying-at-netflixcom.html

IronMexican
10-10-2011, 10:06 AM
so much for qwikster
http://blog.netflix.com/2011/10/dvds-will-be-staying-at-netflixcom.html

rofl

Viva Las Espuelas
10-10-2011, 10:45 AM
I'd say redbox has them by the balls

Trainwreck2100
10-10-2011, 01:35 PM
I'd say redbox has them by the balls

Once redboxs contacts with the studious end they'll be in the same body. The studious see hire profitable they stews ands they want their cut

Viva Las Espuelas
10-10-2011, 01:39 PM
Once redboxs contacts with the studious end they'll be in the same body. The studious see hire profitable they stews ands they want their cut

Exsqueeze me???

Trainwreck2100
10-10-2011, 03:04 PM
Exsqueeze me???

fuckin autocorrect on my shitty fucking phone

long story short redbox's ;rices will likely go up because studios will charge them more having seen how successfu redbox is. Just like what they did to netflix

Frenzy
10-10-2011, 04:19 PM
fuckin autocorrect on my shitty fucking phone

long story short redbox's ;rices will likely go up because studios will charge them more having seen how successfu redbox is. Just like what they did to netflix

Dam I didn't even know redbox was getting into the rice business. fuck that and I like rice..

DJ Mbenga
10-10-2011, 10:51 PM
this kind of sucks. i wanted them to compete with gamefly. now that company can stay mediocre.

SourCandy
10-11-2011, 12:29 PM
Dam I didn't even know redbox was getting into the rice business. fuck that and I like rice..

:lol

:lol

netflix

DUNCANownsKOBE
10-11-2011, 08:22 PM
Redbox's prices won't go up. There aren't any contracts and they can't be charged anything. If you own an actual copy of a DVD, you can rent it, sell it, and do anything else as long as it doesn't violate copyrights.

Trainwreck2100
10-11-2011, 08:37 PM
Redbox's prices won't go up. There aren't any contracts and they can't be charged anything. If you own an actual copy of a DVD, you can rent it, sell it, and do anything else as long as it doesn't violate copyrights.

They have contracts with studios to buy in bulk at a discount. I remember reading disney was already considering raising the prices on what sold to them

DUNCANownsKOBE
10-11-2011, 08:52 PM
They have contracts with studios to buy in bulk at a discount.
Didn't know that part tbh

Drachen
10-24-2011, 05:24 PM
Screaming buy now at $87.00????

DMC
10-24-2011, 05:38 PM
On Demand is going to kill all of them. It's already your cable or satellite provider, and you just push a button. No stocking fees for them, no one to go around servicing equipment.

Movies will become on demand and basically shit on theaters as well.

They may become like expensive ppv events, 50 dollars or so, but the entire family can watch it at home.

It's coming.

Drachen
10-24-2011, 05:49 PM
On Demand is going to kill all of them. It's already your cable or satellite provider, and you just push a button. No stocking fees for them, no one to go around servicing equipment.

Movies will become on demand and basically shit on theaters as well.

They may become like expensive ppv events, 50 dollars or so, but the entire family can watch it at home.

It's coming.

Like Amazon on demand?

DMC
10-24-2011, 05:59 PM
Like Amazon on demand?
No because no one watches Amazon. You have to have an internet account for that.

I am talking about cable or satellite providers offering movies the day they are in theaters.

It's going to happen. Online outlets like Netflix and Amazon probably won't be able to compete with Time Warner and some of the large satellite providers in terms of exclusive studio deals.

Das Texan
10-24-2011, 06:07 PM
There are a lot of people ditching satellite and cable all together and just using an internet connection. Anyone who would have on demand also has high speed i'm willing to bet.

Itunes is probably going to get this at some point, which they have already but for lesser films.

If Amazon and Itunes can offer the same quality that a cable company could, its game on ( I dont know as I havent used these services yet)

DUNCANownsKOBE
10-24-2011, 07:07 PM
Screaming buy now at $87.00????
:lmao telling me the markets would react well to Quikster

IronMaxipad
10-24-2011, 07:10 PM
No because no one watches Amazon. You have to have an internet account for that.

I am talking about cable or satellite providers offering movies the day they are in theaters.

It's going to happen. Online outlets like Netflix and Amazon probably won't be able to compete with Time Warner and some of the large satellite providers in terms of exclusive studio deals.

:lmao

Yeah people are just getting in line to jump on cable or satalite.

DUNCANownsKOBE
10-24-2011, 07:17 PM
probably a good time to make a purchase......I do not have the extra 160 bucks lying around to buy even one share, so that sucks for me.

But I agree it could be a good time to buy

their stocks will come back and now then is the perfect time to buy.

:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

DMC
10-24-2011, 10:37 PM
:lmao

Yeah people are just getting in line to jump on cable or satalite.
People are already on cable or "satellite". Most families are already on one or the other, so those are the markets that will be targeted. No one is going to a bargaining table for bit torrent and streaming users. It's the majority, not the minority, that drives the market.

I realize that's a shocker for a shit troll but take it one bite at a time.

MannyIsGod
10-24-2011, 10:48 PM
One on demand movie is almost a month of netflix

Trainwreck2100
10-24-2011, 10:52 PM
One on demand movie is almost a month of netflix

and you can download movies for free

DUNCANownsKOBE
10-24-2011, 10:59 PM
Satellite companies might be doing OK but cable companies are in deep shit. Neither one has anything to do with netflix struggling, it's netflix needing to pay more for contract rights to stream shows/movies and them shooting themselves in the foot with a price increase that they greatly underestimated the negative reaction too

DMC
10-24-2011, 11:04 PM
There will be plenty more streaming movie sites to rise and fall long after Netflix has faded.

The deepest pockets who reach the most viewers on a regular basis (not internet users as many people do not regularly use the internet) will be the ones to secure exclusive contracts. That will keep other players offering shit movies and second run films, even if it's for cheap, and they will have their niche but without the ability to recover a huge investment quickly, they cannot compete with the big players.

DUNCANownsKOBE
10-24-2011, 11:07 PM
Streaming will replace cable in the near future. Exclusive contracts are the only things keeping cable alive, it's a dead technology, and it's almost stupid that we have to use 20 year technology because of these contracts.

cantthinkofanything
10-24-2011, 11:19 PM
...and it's almost stupid that we have to use 20 year technology because of these contracts.

this would also fit in a Richard Jefferson / Matt Bonner thread.

DMC
10-24-2011, 11:26 PM
Streaming will replace cable in the near future. Exclusive contracts are the only things keeping cable alive, it's a dead technology, and it's almost stupid that we have to use 20 year technology because of these contracts.

Technology aside, companies like Time Warner will bully the market around and overbid for things just to push other players out.

The infrastructure required for upgrading technology (face it, not everyone is going to have super fast download speeds) is decades out for many areas, especially suburban and rural areas.

While some tech savvy people will cut their cable service and find work around technology, and surely they will feel it's better, the large majority of Americans are not tech savvy (which is why a rep has to come to their home to reset a cable box and why the "Geek Squad" even exists) and they will continue using what they currently have.

If push comes to shove, large corporations will lower prices to make it hard to abort cable or satellite services.

I've always thought it was interesting how the younger crowd thinks the liberal mindset of young urban professionals reflects that of the nation. Why do you think Bush was elected twice? Ignorance.

DMC
10-24-2011, 11:27 PM
this would also fit in a Richard Jefferson / Matt Bonner thread.
Really? What does either have to do with 20 year technology?

cantthinkofanything
10-24-2011, 11:30 PM
Really? What does either have to do with 20 year technology?

all three fucked your mom

Trainwreck2100
10-24-2011, 11:32 PM
so if cable's going away due to streaming where will we get our ISPs from to stream our stream

IronMaxipad
10-24-2011, 11:51 PM
People are already on cable or "satellite". Most families are already on one or the other, so those are the markets that will be targeted. No one is going to a bargaining table for bit torrent and streaming users. It's the majority, not the minority, that drives the market.

I realize that's a shocker for a shit troll but take it one bite at a time.

lol you replied.. I won. :lmao

Drachen
10-25-2011, 12:37 AM

and I still won't pay 90 bucks for cable just so I can pay 6 bucks for a movie.

Drachen
10-25-2011, 12:40 AM
:lmao telling me the markets would react well to Quikster

I said probably, I said it may react well to the concentration of netflix offering (not qwickster specifically), but I will give you this, netflix is shooting themselves in the foot with all of this back and forth

DJ Mbenga
10-25-2011, 12:43 AM
there isnt enough internet or bandwith, data to support going to streaming only. plus the studios and cable companies will collude from prevent things from happening.

DUNCANownsKOBE
10-25-2011, 10:48 AM
As much as I've scoffed this stock, a 35% tumble after a quarterly earnings release that actually had better than expected financial performance is dumb. If it drops below 50 I think it's a great buy.

Drachen
10-25-2011, 11:02 AM
well I think that rather than buying the stock, perhaps buying an 80 dollar call might be a good idea. It limits your downside, but I can't help but think that this is way oversold. (of course I was wrong before).

DUNCANownsKOBE
10-25-2011, 11:05 AM
I wouldn't buy it right now because at this point there is actually serious risk netflix folds. I think if it gets low enough but still is churning out a healthy profit, the reward outweighs the risk. Losing 800,000 customers when they were projected to lose 600,000 customers really isn't THAT big a deal.

The problem is Hastings went from looking like the 2nd coming of Steve Jobs as a technology CEO to looking like a weak idiot who just reacts with a weird letter every time his company's stock goes down. I remember just last semester we had a writing prompt in a business communications class related to an article praising what Hastings has done with Netflix. His image has done a 180 since then.

MannyIsGod
10-25-2011, 11:09 AM

This isn't true at all. Streaming will not replace cable for quite some time if at all. Cable IS streaming for the most part right now and while the delivery methods have already changed quite a bit you're not going to see those companies that make up the networks just fade away or start offering ala carte online. They could have done that a long ass time ago if they wanted but the point is they don't.

MannyIsGod
10-25-2011, 11:12 AM
If you're going to see streaming replace anything its going to be actual media sales much in the way that ebooks have really put a dent in actual book says via ereaders like the Kindle. But even that has a big hurdle because while an ebook takes seconds to download, HD movies do not.

cheguevara
10-25-2011, 02:43 PM
I just don't understand what netflix has been doing in the last 18 months or so.
they had a nice social "experiment" going on where you could review movies, check your friends queues, reviews, send messages, recoomendations. they canned that shit for no reason: http://blogs.investors.com/click/index.php/home/60-tech/1973-netflix-ends-its-social-networking-experiment

they had a decent recommendation and intelligence to discover movies. shit sucks now

they are using the same search engine as 8 years ago! could not improve it in 8 years?? :pctoss I wanna search keywords, etc

their website experience keeps getting worse and worse

their iphone/android/ps3 apps suck major donkey dick

not to mention all the foolish decisions on the business side

IMO the CEO is an undercover working on the demise of Netflix from the inside. this is the only rational explanation. A monkey would have done a better job in the last 18 months.

and to think I was about to invest a good chunk on Netflix about 8 months ago

:pctoss :pctoss :pctoss

leemajors
10-25-2011, 04:58 PM
I just don't understand what netflix has been doing in the last 18 months or so.
they had a nice social "experiment" going on where you could review movies, check your friends queues, reviews, send messages, recoomendations. they canned that shit for no reason: http://blogs.investors.com/click/index.php/home/60-tech/1973-netflix-ends-its-social-networking-experiment

they had a decent recommendation and intelligence to discover movies. shit sucks now

they are using the same search engine as 8 years ago! could not improve it in 8 years?? :pctoss I wanna search keywords, etc

their website experience keeps getting worse and worse

their iphone/android/ps3 apps suck major donkey dick

not to mention all the foolish decisions on the business side

IMO the CEO is an undercover working on the demise of Netflix from the inside. this is the only rational explanation. A monkey would have done a better job in the last 18 months.

and to think I was about to invest a good chunk on Netflix about 8 months ago

:pctoss :pctoss :pctoss

yeah whoever decided to go with those redesigned netflix and amazon should be shitcanned. both of those sites suck and seem nearly identical in design.

DMC
10-25-2011, 05:39 PM
lol you replied.. I won. :lmao
You just forfeited back to me :lmao

oops... nm

DMC
10-25-2011, 05:48 PM
These companies are not shitting the bed accidentally. They start off on the cheap, like a drug dealer, then they "introduce" new features and subsequently raise the price, thinking enough people stick around to make it profitable.

Netflix, for example, lost 800,000 subscribers (weird how it was a round number like that) but if they doubled their price and lost 40% of their users, they made a 10% profit increase (or more considering they have 40% less people using the system).

Companies like Time Warner have their shit down, because cable has been around a long time before most of the posters on this forum, so it's a known cost and they can keep piling on services and programs because they have a shit load of bandwidth for new channels.

Like another poster said, you still have to have an internet connection, and that's your bottleneck anyhow. You aren't going to rid yourself of that and just inductively tap into Netflix while you meditate.