PDA

View Full Version : How Many NBA Teams Would Beat NT of Spain In a 7 Game Series?

InK
09-18-2011, 05:25 PM
Lets say Fiba rules. 0?

Hooks
09-18-2011, 05:43 PM
Probably like 10. The reason these euro teams are competitive against team usa is not only because the rules but team usa only plays with each other during the summer, a team with guys that are used to playing with each other that have more chemistry will almost always beat a newly assembled team especially one loaded with a bunch of weapons that all must find their role.
That goes for pretty much any sport.

pass1st
09-18-2011, 06:08 PM
Spain is good, really good. Most NBA teams are still better. They would beat Cavs, T-wolves, Pistons, Wizards and Raptors convincingly. Nets, Bobcats, Kings and Warriors would keep it close but probably win. The rest would win convincingly against them.

DMC
09-18-2011, 06:24 PM
It depends on which NBA players opt to play for their country instead of the NBA.

DAF86
09-18-2011, 07:13 PM
Spain is good, really good. Most NBA teams are still better. They would beat Cavs, T-wolves, Pistons, Wizards and Raptors convincingly. Nets, Bobcats, Kings and Warriors would keep it close but probably win. The rest would win convincingly against them.

GTFO, Spain is clearly a playoff team in the NBA.

pass1st
09-18-2011, 07:21 PM
GTFO, Spain is clearly a playoff team in the NBA.

I don't doubt they could make 8th seed in the east

DAF86
09-18-2011, 07:34 PM
By clearly I mean with a margin. I remember you that a team packed with the NBA's very best had to work really hard to beat them, you don't know shit about Spain's NT if you think a team like the Nets could beat them.

badfish22
09-18-2011, 07:45 PM
They would definitely miss playoffs in the west. Might squeak by in the east.

pass1st
09-18-2011, 08:47 PM
By clearly I mean with a margin. I remember you that a team packed with the NBA's very best had to work really hard to beat them, you don't know shit about Spain's NT if you think a team like the Nets could beat them.

It's fine if you disagree, but you just sound very naive right now. You're completely forgetting that NBA teams have chemistry and a much better feel for eachother than their national team counterpart. European teams do very well against us because our national teams probably have the least amount of preparation of all. We have the least amount if chemistry out of all the major national teams. We have always relied on talent alone while NBA teams rely on much more than talent.

The Spanish team would make 7th or 8th seed at best.

endrity
09-19-2011, 04:10 AM
A fronctourt of the Gasols and Ibaka would be one of the best, if not the best in the NBA period. I don't know how people are saying that they would only squeak into the playoffs. They would be right in the middle of the playoff seeds I think, and depending how guys like San Emeterio, Lull, Sada adopt in the NBA they might even be a top seed. But with Pau, Marc, and Ibaka (not to mention Reyer or absentee Vasquez) they would definitely be a playoff team.

If the US doesn't bring all their top guns next year (and I do think some will eventually hold out like Kobe and possible Wade and LeBron) this Spanish team has a legit chance at finishing the job unlike in Beijing.

Jodelo
09-19-2011, 07:41 AM
Zero. The Mavs would get blown out by 30 points easily against them.

:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

Donīt hide from the greek NT-Team thread...

DAF86
09-19-2011, 08:22 AM
It's fine if you disagree, but you just sound very naive right now. You're completely forgetting that NBA teams have chemistry and a much better feel for eachother than their national team counterpart. European teams do very well against us because our national teams probably have the least amount of preparation of all. We have the least amount if chemistry out of all the major national teams. We have always relied on talent alone while NBA teams rely on much more than talent.

The Spanish team would make 7th or 8th seed at best.

You're beign very naive at underating the talent that Spain has. Knowing both teams very well, I very much doubt the Spurs would be able to beat Spain in a 7 games series.

Ginobilly
09-19-2011, 08:27 AM
A fronctourt of the Gasols and Ibaka would be one of the best, if not the best in the NBA period. I don't know how people are saying that they would only squeak into the playoffs. They would be right in the middle of the playoff seeds I think, and depending how guys like San Emeterio, Lull, Sada adopt in the NBA they might even be a top seed. But with Pau, Marc, and Ibaka (not to mention Reyer or absentee Vasquez) they would definitely be a playoff team.

If the US doesn't bring all their top guns next year (and I do think some will eventually hold out like Kobe and possible Wade and LeBron) this Spanish team has a legit chance at finishing the job unlike in Beijing.

I second that! What other frontcourt in the NBA could match up offensivley and defensivly besides Bynum and Gasol, Dirk and Chandler, and Randolph and Gasol?

Ginobilly
09-19-2011, 08:34 AM
You're beign very naive at underating the talent that Spain has. Knowing both teams very well, I very much doubt the Spurs would be able to beat Spain in a 7 games series.

The Gasol's plus Ibaka would destroy Tim, Bonner, and Blair.
Rudy, Calderon, Navarro, Ricky<Manu, Tony, Neal, Anderson. I'll give the edge to the Spurs but the Spanish backcourt could probably hold it's own against NBA guards.

pass1st
09-19-2011, 10:51 AM

I'm not underrating them really, saying they can make 8th seed is generous. If anything, you're underrating just how good NBA teams are. They make eachother look like jokes sometimes, but eachother means NBA vs NBA. You're acting like teams like the Nets are shit, but they are only shit compared to teams like the Bulls.

NBA teams have a better feel for eachother than any national team. A difference of talent only helps of the difference is akin to '92 dream team vs Angola. We speak of teams playing over 80 games together and constantly practicing. The level of chemistry and competitiveness these teams have well surpass the Spanish team. They will make more with less, but if the Spanish team played a few seasons then they might be contenders.

All in all, their current team entering a full season can squeak into the playoffs.

badfish22
09-19-2011, 01:15 PM

:lol

DAF86
09-19-2011, 02:47 PM
I'm not underrating them really, saying they can make 8th seed is generous. If anything, you're underrating just how good NBA teams are. They make eachother look like jokes sometimes, but eachother means NBA vs NBA. You're acting like teams like the Nets are shit, but they are only shit compared to teams like the Bulls.

NBA teams have a better feel for eachother than any national team. A difference of talent only helps of the difference is akin to '92 dream team vs Angola. We speak of teams playing over 80 games together and constantly practicing. The level of chemistry and competitiveness these teams have well surpass the Spanish team. They will make more with less, but if the Spanish team played a few seasons then they might be contenders.

All in all, their current team entering a full season can squeak into the playoffs.

Have you seen Spain play? I don't see any chemistry or competitiveness problems there. If all NBA teams have such a good chemestry they sure as hell don't show it with the way some players on those teams hog the ball.

If we're making this assumption we also need to asume that all things would be equal, this means equal preparation time for everybody.

P/S:

lol using smilies as counterargument
lol not knowing shit about what you're talking about but still giving an opinion
lol after reading this trying to pretend that you know what you're talking about but everyboy knowing you really don't.

Lincoln
09-19-2011, 03:09 PM
:lol Manu>dirk

lefty
09-19-2011, 03:10 PM
Considering Spain has Pau Gasol, the Mavs would easily beat the shit out of Spain

pass1st
09-19-2011, 03:18 PM
Have you seen Spain play? I don't see any chemistry or competitiveness problems there. If all NBA teams have such a good chemestry they sure as hell don't show it with the way some players on those teams hog the ball.

If we're making this assumption we also need to asume that all things would be equal, this means equal preparation time for everybody.

P/S:

lol using smilies as counterargument
lol not knowing shit about what you're talking about but still giving an opinion
lol after reading this trying to pretend that you know what you're talking about but everyboy knowing you really don't.

Sure I seen them play, they are good. They work as well together as you would expect from a national team. Still, chemistry isn't present like it would be for an NBA contender. You seem to underrate exactly how hard 16 teams fight to progress in the brackets and how it shapes each team year by year. You can have your opinion though, far be it by me to mock your bias.

Also if we assume everything is equal, they would have been through several years of early exits. By then, sure aftr a few of their players were traded then we might have a contender. They wouldnt be a national team anymore though.

P.S
:lol first smily used so far
:lol underrating NBA
:lol naive
:lol thinking national teams > good clubs

Lincoln
09-19-2011, 03:25 PM
Sure I seen them play, they are good. They work as well together as you would expect from a national team. Still, chemistry isn't present like it would be for an NBA contender. You seem to underrate exactly how hard 16 teams fight to progress in the brackets and how it shapes each team year by year. You can have your opinion though, far be it by me to mock your bias.

Also if we assume everything is equal, they would have been through several years of early exits. By then, sure aftr a few of their players were traded then we might have a contender. They wouldnt be a national team anymore though.

P.S

His credibility is shit.
:lol Manu>dirk

DAF86
09-19-2011, 03:27 PM

I'm talking about current squads with the same amount of preparation and aclimatation to the league, in other words I'm looking strictly to the talent level and style of play each team plays without considering any outside factor. Spain in term of talent and utilization of those talents is without a question a playoff team in the NBA, and a very good one at that.

P.S

Why did you feel alluded?

DeadlyDynasty
09-19-2011, 03:27 PM
A U.S. team on their best day beats the shit out of any other country on their best day.

Axe Murderer
09-19-2011, 03:28 PM
only, Toronto, Cleveland, Minnesota, and Sacramento wouldn't beat them. They have a decent starting 5 but bring nothing from the bench

stretch
09-19-2011, 03:29 PM
2010-2011 Mavs would beat the shit out of them

Cane
09-19-2011, 03:39 PM
Spain would break down in the marathon aka NBA regular season and 7 game playoffs series.

Relying on Pau Gasol as your main scorer would suck. If he gets into foul trouble or doesn't show up then the team is really screwed.

The backcourt would get abused regularly so you'd have to utilize the Gasols which is a lot to ask for.

Spain would have intangibles like chemistry and experience but I don't think that'd be enough to overcome their disadvantages in the NBA; making the playoffs would be pretty difficult.

DeadlyDynasty
09-19-2011, 03:43 PM
The euros can't handle the brothas over a 7-game series. That's as nice as I can put it.

lefty
09-19-2011, 03:49 PM
This thread is slightly off-topic

Let's go back to Greece

pass1st
09-19-2011, 04:15 PM
I'm talking about current squads with the same amount of preparation and aclimatation to the league, in other words I'm looking strictly to the talent level and style of play each team plays without considering any outside factor. Spain in term of talent and utilization of those talents is without a question a playoff team in the NBA, and a very good one at that.

Why did you feel alluded?

You see that's the problem, they aren't a team that can maintain competetitive play in the NBA. Its a matter of composition and depth of the team that prevents them from being an early exit team. They need better depth to take pressure of Gasols so they can go several 7 game series' let alone the entire season. You're being so narrow and underrating what is needed to compete in the NBA that it's funny.

You want it even then make trades to fortify their bench and BC. Because that team would be tired come playoffs, moreso than NBA teams.

I don't really feel as alluded as I feel the need to highlight your childish idea of logistics involved in a team to compete in the NBA. You have the same naive notion of overvaluing talent that the Heat had.

ElNono
09-19-2011, 04:21 PM
tbqh, as soon as Vanessa Bryant tells a thing or two to Gasol's gf they become very beatable, IMO.

pass1st
09-19-2011, 05:16 PM
I think Marc is less of a pussy and would be more motivated to play.

DAF86
09-19-2011, 05:24 PM
You see that's the problem, they aren't a team that can maintain competetitive play in the NBA. Its a matter of composition and depth of the team that prevents them from being an early exit team. They need better depth to take pressure of Gasols so they can go several 7 game series' let alone the entire season. You're being so narrow and underrating what is needed to compete in the NBA that it's funny.

You want it even then make trades to fortify their bench and BC. Because that team would be tired come playoffs, moreso than NBA teams.

One of Spain's strenghts is its depth so I don't know why you say they don't have it. Just becuase a player isn't playing in the NBA it doesn't mean he can't. The NBA have the very best players but it doesn't have the 500 (or whaever the number is) best players in the World. Navarro and Llull aren't playing in the NBA but they're better than many guards in the NBA, for example Keith Bogan the starting SG for the team with the best record in the league.

Why do you think they would struggle in the NBA? Just because?

Gasol led a less talented team to the playoffs three years in a row, why wouldn't he do the same with a much better team around him?

Spain doesn't rely on one or two guys to win, they play as a true team, so nobody would have more pressure on their shoulders than normal.

I don't really feel as alluded as I feel the need to highlight your childish idea of logistics involved in a team to compete in the NBA. You have the same naive notion of overvaluing talent that the Heat had.

The team that went from a first round playoff team to championhip contender? Thanks.

If you didn't feel alluded why did you anwer a comment that wasn't directed to you?

pass1st
09-19-2011, 06:22 PM
One of Spain's strenghts is its depth so I don't know why you say they don't have it. Just becuase a player isn't playing in the NBA it doesn't mean he can't. The NBA have the very best players but it doesn't have the 500 (or whaever the number is) best players in the World. Navarro and Llull aren't playing in the NBA but they're better than many guards in the NBA, for example Keith Bogan the starting SG for the team with the best record in the league.

Why do you think they would struggle in the NBA? Just because?

Gasol led a less talented team to the playoffs three years in a row, why wouldn't he do the same with a much better team around him?

Spain doesn't rely on one or two guys to win, they play as a true team, so nobody would have more pressure on their shoulders than normal.

The team that went from a first round playoff team to championhip contender? Thanks.

If you didn't feel alluded why did you anwer a comment that wasn't directed to you?

Now you're just assuming too much here. All I was saying is that the Spanish team doesn't have the kind of depth to support the Gasol's through what could very well be 100 games + practice in under a year.

Can you honestly say that they have the bench to support the Gasols and remain competitive in the NBA where a teams bench is better than the starters for a lot of countries? We already know Pau can't handle heavy minutes well as seen from the start of the season and several near injuries.

Gasol never lead them to a single victory, btw. Also, specify who you talk to next time. You just quoted me, afterall :wakeup

endrity
09-19-2011, 06:24 PM
Spain had a bench that went 12 deep every game, and has other quality players that didn't make the cut for the national team. They would easily get through a 82 game season. Plus, if the Mavs can win a title with the JET as their second option, I can't see why JC Navarro couldn't do the same. He's arguably an even more complete offensive player and less streaky than Terry.

DAF86
09-19-2011, 08:00 PM
Now you're just assuming too much here. All I was saying is that the Spanish team doesn't have the kind of depth to support the Gasol's through what could very well be 100 games + practice in under a year.

You say that Spain doesn't have depth to compete on an NBA season but I am the one asuming too much?

Can you honestly say that they have the bench to support the Gasols and remain competitive in the NBA where a teams bench is better than the starters for a lot of countries? We already know Pau can't handle heavy minutes well as seen from the start of the season and several near injuries.

Yes, they have a lot of depth and talent to compete during a whole season in the NBA. Gasol has managed to play enough minutes to lead a mediocre team into the playoffs three seasons in a row. Either way, if you watch Spain play you would realize that he doesn't need to play heavy minutes for his team to do well.

Gasol never lead them to a single victory, btw. Also, specify who you talk to next time. You just quoted me, afterall :wakeup

I'm sure with Spain he would.

I think it was very clear who was directed to, tbh.

pass1st
09-19-2011, 08:46 PM
You say that Spain doesn't have depth to compete on an NBA season but I am the one asuming too much?

Yes, they have a lot of depth and talent to compete during a whole season in the NBA. Gasol has managed to play enough minutes to lead a mediocre team into the playoffs three seasons in a row. Either way, if you watch Spain play you would realize that he doesn't need to play heavy minutes for his team to do well.

I'm sure with Spain he would.

I think it was very clear who was directed to, tbh.

Yeah you are assuming too much because a national team wasn't put together with the idea of playing this many games. You're underrating the grind that's in an NBA season by saying the Spanish national team can plop right in and be contenders. They truly do not have the depth of a team like the Grizzlies, Mavericks, Nuggets, Blazers, etc. Their talent level isn't as high as the Heat, Knicks, Lakers or Celtics. They wouldn't be contenders before making trades.

Stop mentioning a younger Pau Gasol on the Grizzlies also, the man got older you know. He felt his age at the start of last season, if you paid attention to it.

You quoted me only

DAF86
09-19-2011, 08:57 PM
Yeah you are assuming too much because a national team wasn't put together with the idea of playing this many games. You're underrating the grind that's in an NBA season by saying the Spanish national team can plop right in and be contenders. They truly do not have the depth of a team like the Grizzlies, Mavericks, Nuggets, Blazers, etc. Their talent level isn't as high as the Heat, Knicks, Lakers or Celtics. They wouldn't be contenders before making trades.

Stop mentioning a younger Pau Gasol on the Grizzlies also, the man got older you know. He felt his age at the start of last season, if you paid attention to it.

You quoted me only

You can look at all the outside factors you want but Spain definitely has the talent and depth to be a very good team in the NBA, and with a preparation to play said league I don't see why these talented dedicated profesionals wouldn't be able to do well.

I also said that Gasol doesn't need to play heavy minutes for Spain to be successful. If you think Spain doesn't have the talent and depth to do well in the NBA then you need to watch more of their games.

You didn't post a smiley before I wrote that.

pass1st
09-19-2011, 09:19 PM
You can look at all the outside factors you want but Spain definitely has the talent and depth to be a very good team in the NBA, and with a preparation to play said league I don't see why these talented dedicated profesionals wouldn't be able to do well.

I also said that Gasol doesn't need to play heavy minutes for Spain to be successful. If you think Spain doesn't have the talent and depth to do well in the NBA then you need to watch more of their games.

You didn't post a smiley before I wrote that.

Talent is an outside factor for which they are somewhat above average, I'm speaking of things that makes teams go from early exits to conference champions. Spain doesn't have the depth most of the contenders in the NBA have. Quite honestly, you have no merit to say they do if you haven't seen their national team play several months with little break. NBA teams are proven to last the season and enter the playoffs ready, Spain's team is not.

You state things that look good on paper. The team does good in a few games, it does good in a tournament, they have talent, etc. What of that says they could handle an 82 game season + 4 to 16 games + constant practice? I'm not saying they couldn't win a few games if that was all they played, but it's just not very feasible to be very successful in an NBA season+post. They would make 8th in the west, maybe 7th or 6th in the east. This isn't an insult by any margin.

itzsoweezee
09-20-2011, 12:43 AM
No doubt they have a nice frontcourt, but this is their backcourt: Calderon, Rudy Fernandez, Navarro, and Ricky Rubio.

Pretty fucking pathetic. Rudy isn't an NBA caliber player. Navarro was a borderline NBA player. Rubio will also be a scrub. NBA guards would score on these guys at will.

I think even the Knicks would crush these dudes.

mathbzh
09-20-2011, 03:06 AM
No doubt they have a nice frontcourt, but this is their backcourt: Calderon, Rudy Fernandez, Navarro, and Ricky Rubio.

Pretty fucking pathetic. Rudy isn't an NBA caliber player. Navarro was a borderline NBA player. Rubio will also be a scrub. NBA guards would score on these guys at will.

I think even the Knicks would crush these dudes.

Rudy plays > 20 mpg in a playoffs team he is an NBA caliber player.
Navarro played one season with numbers similar to Ginobili's numbers in his first two seasons.
I don't know how Spain would be, but Navarro is better than a lot of NBA starters.
Rubio is a scrub.

Just one word about the rules and officiating. The OP said "FIBA rules".
This gives Spain a huge advantage IMHO.

mathbzh
09-20-2011, 03:23 AM
Fernandez sucks ass. He is better than Scrubio, but that is not saying much.

I am not saying he is great or anything, just that he is an NBA caliber player.

ElNono
09-20-2011, 03:25 AM
Fernandez >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> vspan

Slo spurs fan
09-20-2011, 06:48 AM
Spanoulis >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Ginobili

:lmao

Mel_13
09-20-2011, 07:53 AM
Spanoulis >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Ginobili

Ironic considering KBP's current choice of username.

pass1st
09-20-2011, 09:59 AM
82 game NBA schedule is about the easiest one of any so called decent basketball league on the planet.

The good European leagues have a 20 time harder and more taxing and grueling season than the NBA does.

The NBA has the softest, weakest, most non intense and physical and defense free season of just about any well known pro sports league on earth.

The NBA is a sissy league for pansies.

You're an American.

endrity
09-20-2011, 12:27 PM
Navarro has always been the first option on Spain except for one time in 2008 when he had an injury. Not the second option.

Nope. Pau has been first option since Eurobasket03 pretty much. And yet, that wasn't the point I was making. I said that he is just as good as the current champions' second option. But a team with Navarro as it's first option would get nowhere in the NBA.

Spur_Fanatic
09-20-2011, 02:44 PM
They can easily get a decent East playoff seed. As for the playoffs, depends on the seed. I can see them on a 2nd round series, losing then.

ambchang
09-20-2011, 05:22 PM
A team centred around Pau would win 2 to 3 titles in the NBA, proven.

Roger Freemason Jr.
09-20-2011, 08:41 PM
Spain is good, but whoever said they could beat the Spurs or the Mavs, is smoking pcp.

DAF86
09-20-2011, 09:06 PM
Spain is good, but whoever said they could beat the Spurs or the Mavs, is smoking pcp.

Nobody said that, I said that I'm not so sure about the Spurs beating Spain but if you put a gun in my head and make me choose I would probably pick the Spurs, although I wouldn't be so calm with my decision (really if you analyze player by player, I'm not so sure the Spurs have the better talent).

Nobody said anything about the Mavs, at leat not that I remember.

Jodelo
09-21-2011, 03:13 AM
Nobody said anything about the Mavs, at leat not that I remember.

This yearīs Mavs team would win very very easily against them.

joshdaboss
09-21-2011, 04:18 AM
Probably most of them.