PDA

View Full Version : 2-3-2 Format

ZStomp
06-14-2005, 12:10 PM
So what do you all think of the 2-3-2 in the Finals? Does the home team have the advantage? I think it wasn't until last year that the team with the three middle games won all 3 games.

I don't like it because if the Pistons take care of their home court then all the pressure is on the Spurs. Why? They suppose to have homecourt. I know they still do but does it feel like it?

Is it set up like this because of the east/west coast teams? Travel time?

Either way, I don't like it! I want to experience more of the FINALS in SA! :)

mookie2001
06-14-2005, 12:12 PM
its worse than the 5 day forcast, the weekend outlook and the allergy report combined

TMSKILZ
06-14-2005, 12:13 PM
It's a wierd format, but I think the pressure in this format is clearly on the team with home court, b/c if the home team drops 1 or both home games, then they're in trouble b/c they have to play the next 3 on the road.

Rummpd
06-14-2005, 12:17 PM
It flatly stinks and I am writing a column on this for Basketball News Service (www.hoopsworld.com) and will post probably tonight. Will post here after putting up there.

However, Spurs now in decent shape, get even 1/3 and have to be favored to close out at home. No worries for this series but premise for this is hard to figure out as long as they stretch out time between games. Nothing more exciting that alternating 5-6 games IMO.

Big Pimp_21
06-14-2005, 12:29 PM
Agreed! I hate this format, b/c if we would have dropped one game at home, we may not have had a game 6 to come home to. I don't think we would lose 3 straight, but the odds would be against us. That doesn't seem fair to the team with the "advantage"

whottt
06-14-2005, 12:31 PM
The format is designed to give the underdog(the team without HCA) the best possible chance of winning and to feel confident, while still giving the HCA team the benefit of HCA.

It designed to make it harder for the team with the best record to win...It's designed to make the finals harder to win. It's designed to make the finals exciting and competitive. It's designed to give the best team as little advantage as possible and to give the underdog as much of an advantage as possible.

It's really no different than the other formats...the home team still gets 4 games at home and the road team still gets 3...the road team still has to win a game on the road to win the title...no matter what.

I personally like it and I think that big block of 3 in the middle of the series does give the HCA team a big challenge to overcome if they drop one at home...one that the HCA team has been able to overcome most of the time.

Jimcs50
06-14-2005, 12:32 PM
Now that SA held serve, I love this format.

It is almost impossible for the middle home court team to win three straight.(Detroit was only team to accomplish that in 19 tries last year)

At worst, SA comes home only having to win 1 of 2 to win it all...I like those chances.

spurster
06-14-2005, 12:33 PM
I think the intent is to make home court less of an advantage. Because there is a big difference between the WC and the EC schedule, directly comparing W-L records shouldn't translate into a big advantage.

Jimcs50
06-14-2005, 12:34 PM
The format is designed to give the underdog(the team without HCA) the best possible chance of winning, while still giving the HCA team the benefit of HCA.

It designed to make it harder for the team with the best record to win...It's designed to make the finals harder to win. It's designed to make the finals exciting and competitive. It's designed to give the best team as little advantage as possible and to give the underdog as much of an advantage as possible.

It's really no different than the other formats...the home team still gets 4 games at home and the road team still gets 3...the road still has to win a game on the road to win the title...no matter what.

I personally like it and I think that big block of 3 in the middle of the series does give the HCA team a big challenge to overcome...

It is designed to help the media only, it was not designed to help either team.

This way th media can set up it's circus atmosphere, and have the players available the maximum amt of days to give interviews without having travel days that separate the teams from the media.

spur219
06-14-2005, 12:51 PM
I don't like it. It should still be the 2-2-1-1-1 or in the Finals a 2-2-3

ZStomp
06-14-2005, 12:54 PM
I don't like it. It should still be the 2-2-1-1-1 or in the Finals a 2-2-3

What? So a team would have 5 home games and two road games?????

Jimcs50
06-14-2005, 01:02 PM
What? So a team would have 5 home games and two road games?????

I would vote for that, providing that the Spurs get the 5 games.

:lol

spur219
06-14-2005, 02:03 PM
Thats right

Xolotl
06-14-2005, 02:06 PM
I like it because it forces the team that starts with the Homecourt to win on the road. If your destined to be a championship team you should be able to win at least one of those games in order to force it back to your arena

nkdlunch
06-14-2005, 02:10 PM
I think the intent is to make home court less of an advantage. Because there is a big difference between the WC and the EC schedule, directly comparing W-L records shouldn't translate into a big advantage.

I agree, the league just wants to extend the finals to make more money.

catydid
06-14-2005, 03:27 PM
This 2-3-2 format SUCKS! The old 2-2-1-1-1 was much better and much fairer to both teams. The 2-3-2 format really does NOT give homecourt advantage to the team with the better record. My goodness, could you imagine having three straight games in one series here? Where the Spurs rarely lose?

CosmicCowboy
06-14-2005, 03:42 PM
It is designed to help the media only, it was not designed to help either team.

This way th media can set up it's circus atmosphere, and have the players available the maximum amt of days to give interviews without having travel days that separate the teams from the media.

ding ding...we have a winner...

The finals are such a big media event they set it up 2/3/2 so the media doesn't have to travel as much and gets more exposure to the players...I read somewhere that the Spurs issued 1200 media passes for games 1 and 2...That would be 1200 whiners if it was 2/2/1/1/1...

MadDog73
06-14-2005, 03:50 PM
ding ding...we have a winner...

The finals are such a big media event they set it up 2/3/2 so the media doesn't have to travel as much and gets more exposure to the players...I read somewhere that the Spurs issued 1200 media passes for games 1 and 2...That would be 1200 whiners if it was 2/2/1/1/1...

They're still whining. "San Antonio has no direct flights to Detroit."

:cuss

Vashner
06-14-2005, 04:03 PM
It will work.... we will have to start decorating river boats by the time the leased Champion Air 727 is up and headed home...

Solid D
06-14-2005, 04:19 PM
Since the 2-3-2 Finals format was implemented in 1985, every team that has won the first two games of the series with HCA has gone on to win the NBA Championship.

Home Team Wins First Two Games
2002: L.A. Lakers def. New Jersey; L.A. Lakers win series, 4-0
2000: L.A. Lakers def. Indiana; L.A. Lakers win series, 4-2
1999: San Antonio def. New York; San Antonio win series, 4-1
1997: Chicago def. Utah; Chicago wins series, 4-2
1996: Chicago def. Seattle; Chicago wins series, 4-2
1989: Detroit def. L.A. Lakers; Detroit wins series, 4-0
1987: L.A. Lakers def. Boston; L.A. Lakers win series, 4-2
1986: Boston def. Houston; Boston wins series, 4-2

Xolotl
06-14-2005, 04:24 PM
They're still whining. "San Antonio has no direct flights to Detroit."

:cuss

Its not our fault the Detroit economy can't afford an airport :p

nkdlunch
06-14-2005, 04:50 PM
Since the 2-3-2 Finals format was implemented in 1985, every team that has won the first two games of the series with HCA has gone on to win the NBA Championship.

Home Team Wins First Two Games
2002: L.A. Lakers def. New Jersey; L.A. Lakers win series, 4-0
2000: L.A. Lakers def. Indiana; L.A. Lakers win series, 4-2
1999: San Antonio def. New York; San Antonio win series, 4-1
1997: Chicago def. Utah; Chicago wins series, 4-2
1996: Chicago def. Seattle; Chicago wins series, 4-2
1989: Detroit def. L.A. Lakers; Detroit wins series, 4-0
1987: L.A. Lakers def. Boston; L.A. Lakers win series, 4-2
1986: Boston def. Houston; Boston wins series, 4-2

Yes but there have been only 2 sweeps. Coincidence?

jochhejaam
06-14-2005, 07:49 PM
It gives the road team a temporary advantage in that they will have played 3 game at home while the home team has only had 2 at home.

Bottom line is home team gets most home games and best team wins.

pooh
06-14-2005, 07:54 PM
the 2-3-2 format was implimented due in part to the east/west trips. back then, it was either LA against either Boston or Philly in the finals. The traveling was becoming a real pain to both sides, so they decided to put it like it is now to accomodate everyone.

in away it's good because you get all done in sections.

geerussell
06-14-2005, 07:56 PM
I've only ever seen two arguments made about the format. Some people say it sucks for the team with home court advantage. Some people say it sucks for the team without home court advantage.

What I've never seen is anyone say they like the format for any reason.