PDA

View Full Version : The passing stats from this era don't count.

Booharv
09-20-2011, 11:15 PM
I'm getting pretty sick of the constant updates on the passing records that are being broken - Big whoop. Nobody cares...correction: Nobody should care. This would be like watching the NBA in 1980 and getting constant updates on the 3-point FG records being broken every game. (It really wouldn't be like that at all. w.e. Go fuck yourself).

Booharv
09-20-2011, 11:21 PM
Jesus, its going to be disgusting when Brady throws for 6k this year and the 'greatest ever' talk is unbearable.

What would be the analogy for this, though? Home run records in the steroid era? Pitching stats from when they had the mound jacked up five feet off the ground in the sixties? Uh...I got nothing else.

Yes, I'm talking to myself. Again, go fuck yourselves.

Monostradamus
09-20-2011, 11:26 PM
No, you seem really passionate about this. Keep going.

Halberto
09-21-2011, 12:29 AM
What I've been trying to figure out is how it got this way.

are current players too athletic to allow running games to be efficient?
are quarterbacks becoming more and more skilled?
are rules promoting a pass happy style?
are owners pushing their teams in this direction as a business decision?

Im also curious to hear the thoughts of some NFL coaches

pawe
09-21-2011, 09:16 AM
Rule changes.
QBs are well protected by the league. They dont allow CBs to bump and overpower WRs. The risk of getting a penalty on a passing play is higher than running the ball.

Also, because of the longer distance the team has to cover to get to the red zone because of the lack of kick returns caused again by the new rules by the NFL.

DBs Covering WRs is more difficult than any offensive skilled position and WRs usually are more taller and heavier so the lack of training camp and offseason conditioning for defensive players have something to do with all these insane passing yard numbers.

stretch
09-21-2011, 10:28 AM

id say there is some truth to all of those, in particular the athletic ability being improved, and QBs being more skilled, as well as improved strategy by coaches.

Halberto
09-21-2011, 10:55 AM
Rule changes.
QBs are well protected by the league. They dont allow CBs to bump and overpower WRs. The risk of getting a penalty on a passing play is higher than running the ball.

Also, because of the longer distance the team has to cover to get to the red zone because of the lack of kick returns caused again by the new rules by the NFL.

DBs Covering WRs is more difficult than any offensive skilled position and WRs usually are more taller and heavier so the lack of training camp and offseason conditioning for defensive players have something to do with all these insane passing yard numbers.

I agree with you on the QB protection, but has there been a recent rule change for DB/WR contact? Revis is always owning receivers out there and never gets in trouble. Also, wouldn't a long drive require more running considering the risk of throwing an interception so far back?

AaronY
09-21-2011, 11:38 AM
I agree with you on the QB protection, but has there been a recent rule change for DB/WR contact? Revis is always owning receivers out there and never gets in trouble. Also, wouldn't a long drive require more running considering the risk of throwing an interception so far back?

They have been cracking down on them for years, but then they changed the rules to allow even less contact to receivers in 2004 I think after the Pats held the Colts to like 3 points in the AFC Championship Game and the Colts accused New England of mugging their receivers. I think they also accused the Pats of making the field muddy to slow down Indy's high speed offense iirc.

Basically a decision was made then iirc to make it easiers for receivers to run their routes much like in the NBA when they decided to change the hand checking rule to allow players to drive to the backet much easier.

AaronY
09-21-2011, 11:39 AM
Here's an article on it: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/preview04/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=1871681

Blake
09-21-2011, 11:55 AM
Jesus, its going to be disgusting when Brady throws for 6k this year and the 'greatest ever' talk is unbearable.

just imagine if he wins another Super Bowl

Kirk Nowitzki
09-21-2011, 01:15 PM
Um, if Brady throws for 6,000 yards that speaks more about him being a super elite player and not the NFL being a "passing league." Fans don't want to see power football anymore, they pay money to see the Bradys and Mannings of this league throw for 300 yards and a couple touchdowns every week.

pawe
09-21-2011, 02:03 PM
I wont complain coz im enjoying every little bit of football right now.

LaDainian Tomlinson
09-21-2011, 03:42 PM

ain't gonna happen brah

Booharv
09-21-2011, 08:29 PM
No, you seem really passionate about this. Keep going.
He means one thing...but he says the opposite! Ha, I see how that works.

Good post.

Its been a gradual thing but it really has sped up the last few years. It hasn't all been the last five to ten years some rule changes like the grounding out of the pocket one from the nineties and others paved the way. I mean Used to be when a QB scrambled out of the pocket and someone was pursuing him it was exciting since he had to make a decision and throw a pass near someone to try to avoid the rush or get sacked or go out of bounds and lose 10 yards etc. Now QBs can just chuck it to the nine year old girl in the pink Bruschi jersey in row 14 and take a do over. Ridiculous.

id say there is some truth to all of those, in particular the athletic ability being improved, and QBs being more skilled, as well as improved strategy by coaches.
I don't see how athletic ability being improved affects anything if you are talking about wideouts, I mean DBs are more athletic now too.

I could see the QBS being way improved if decent to slightly above average QBs like Joe Flacco and Matt Cassell (two guys who some people here would argue are awful) weren't putting up numbers that would have put them in MVP contention 15-20 years ago. Also, Favre who anyone who follows football was a step below guys like Steve Young when he played put up like a 117 QB rating two years ago...when he was 15 years past his prime.

Um, if Brady throws for 6,000 yards that speaks more about him being a super elite player and not the NFL being a "passing league." Fans don't want to see power football anymore, they pay money to see the Bradys and Mannings of this league throw for 300 yards and a couple touchdowns every week.
Brady is one of the best QBs of all time. No doubt. But his stats are inflated. I like him, I was more talking about how ESPN/yahoo/whatever is going to be all like "OMG!!!BRADY, 6,000 YARDS!! BEST QB EVER !!!1111!!" levels of annoyingness all season if this keeps up. As I mentioned if Favre is putting up 70% completion seasons and getting 110+ QB ratings guys like Steve Young would have JUCO like 140+ ratings and be throwing for like 5500 yards and 65 TDs tbh.

Fans don't want to see power football anymore, they pay money to see the Bradys and Mannings of this league throw for 300 yards and a couple touchdowns every week.

Bullshit. The NFL has been the number one sport since like the 1980s and probably even the 1970s(?), granted I agree they are definitely doing this to increase ratings (and fans do claim they like it) but fans will love the NFL regardless. I think like what the NFL says about parity causing their success (which studies have shown in other sports has little to no effect on ratings or ticket sales), its horseshit. They have a captive audience. The shit with every kickoff sailing out of bounds opening week had me LOLing...I was like "They're daring people not to watch this game at this point." People don't care they love some NFL and will watch regardless.

Axe Murderer
09-21-2011, 10:14 PM
Vet's alternate account, goin backdoor and finishing with the flush

Kirk Nowitzki
09-22-2011, 02:34 AM
Look dude I actually agree that the NFL is a passing league now. A "game manager" QB doesn't get you to the Super Bowl unless the team has a Top 5 All-Time defense. More teams are throwing because the elite teams have explosive "big play" offenses. But considering that 5,000 yards in one season has only been done once (Marino), if Brady tossed for 6,000 you'd probably be able to convince me that his real name is Jesus Christ.

BanditHiro
09-22-2011, 02:56 AM

he won't he doesn't have a defense anymore. this why the patriots haven't won a playoff game in like forever and most of the time are humiliated.

DUNCANownsKOBE
09-22-2011, 09:24 AM
Brady and the O-line playing like shit has way more to do with their last 3 playoff losses than the defense.

Axe Murderer
09-22-2011, 09:44 AM
But considering that 5,000 yards in one season has only been done once (Marino),

Drew Brees did it a few years ago i saaaiiiidddd

Kirk Nowitzki
09-23-2011, 01:56 PM
Drew Brees did it a few years ago i saaaiiiidddd

Forgot about that though I don't really keep tabs on the Saints after that shit that went down in February 2010. So let me change my statement, if Brady throws for 6,000 you'd probably be able to convince me that his real name is Jesus Christ and he's come to take all the good little boys and girls to Heaven with him while the rest of us have to listen to Mono and Friends talk about how Christ himself came back to life to QB the Patriots for a bit before conducting the rapture.

TDMVPDPOY
09-23-2011, 02:12 PM
QB N WR gettin too much protection?

and you guys lol at the rugby code...every mofo on the field is touchable if he has the ball...

09-23-2011, 03:23 PM
Forgot about that though I don't really keep tabs on the Saints after that shit that went down in February 2010. So let me change my statement, if Brady throws for 6,000 you'd probably be able to convince me that his real name is Jesus Christ and he's come to take all the good little boys and girls to Heaven with him while the rest of us have to listen to Mono and Friends talk about how Christ himself came back to life to QB the Patriots for a bit before conducting the rapture.

tbh mono's been pretty hard on brady since the last playoff loss imho

dirk4mvp
09-23-2011, 05:00 PM
Crofl Brady not being elite anymore

Monostradamus
09-23-2011, 05:50 PM
Crofl Brady not being elite anymore

I'd be willing to accept that I'm wrong if Brady would perform well enough to prove me wrong. The problem is that Brady has to wait till after Week 17 before he gets the opportunity.

Kai
09-23-2011, 10:31 PM
Once the NFL reaches 18 game seasons, these records won't last anyways.

Booharv
09-25-2011, 01:01 AM
mono, d4, I appreciate that you guys have your own little st storylines and also have some boring feud going on atm but can you guys keep that going via visitor messages (or better yet pms). I'm trying to keep this thread at a high level so if you have nothing of substance to add seek another thread. asamof if ur reading this now, could you guys delete your posts ITT on your way out, thanks.

So I really think everyone here who thinks these numbers are anything less than bogus should really think about altering their position before things snap back to normal and they look like the "its because they juice the ball" or "its because of these new bats they make out of hickory and maplewood" retards from when Bonds head was swelling to the size of a pumpkin.

Shit, what am I saying...if anything like that ever happens Rog will just outlaw sacks.

ClipshowDynasty
09-25-2011, 01:04 AM
^ :lmao

Arlington Native
09-25-2011, 01:07 AM
mono, d4, I appreciate that you guys have your own little st storylines and also have some boring feud going on atm but can you guys keep that going via visitor messages (or better yet pms). I'm trying to keep this thread at a high level so if you have nothing of substance to add seek another thread. asamof if ur reading this now, could you guys delete your posts ITT on your way out, thanks.
:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin

ClipshowDynasty
09-25-2011, 01:10 AM
yeah i got tats on my legs, yeah they're spurs and yeah they're on my calves... we've gone over this yrs ago and yet it's still being brought up like a bad joke. it's fuckin' old man and you think it gets to me when you say the bs you do? you think it gets to me especially coming from some chump off the internet? come on now man... i didn't get these tats because i thought i'd shrivel up into a ball and hide when someone put me down about my decision to tat my calves up with spurs, i got these tats because i wanted to, because i like them and because i could give 2 shits less about some bitchmade chump on the internet.

get over it man and add to this thread or get the fuck out already. come up with something clever or shut the fuck up and get out of my thread.

ClipshowDynasty
09-25-2011, 01:11 AM
ets see here...

- you love looking at my legs
- you follow me around on ST
- you know my every move right?
- you know who i am outside of ST
- you know what i'm about

what else?

seems to me like that's a bit stalkerazzi to me but that's just my opinion.

dude, i left work, that's what happened. you can believe what you want and you can sit here and prove to me how much more of a loser you are you big ass gorilla.

ClipshowDynasty
shit man... igNORANT hasn't been off ST in a while, well atleast not all fuckin' weekend up to now. dude is gettin' his time in before he starts hearing the school bus pull up in the next couple weeks. mommy gonna take the keyboard away soon!

ClipshowDynasty
Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Lu ck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck _The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_

ClipshowDynasty
From what I've gathered, there are two types of Spurs fans on the board:
A.) suicidal ones ("first round exit, here we come")
B.) blind homers ("I'm not worried about Dallas...")

Whatever happened to the moderates, the Rudolph Giulliani's if you will?

Beating the defending NBA champs on the road, you will note, is not really a birth right for the Spurs even if you guys did win 2.5 championships in the not so distant past.

A similar principal applies when predicting Cowboy games; I won't take a win in Indianopolis for granted next year because we had a good run back in the '90's.

This Spurs team, in 2007, is a very respectable third best in the mighty Southwest division...

ClipshowDynasty
09-25-2011, 01:12 AM
14393 Fm 536
Pleasanton, TX 78064-5627

3906 Forest Lawn St
San Antonio, TX 78230-1504

sup koriwhats address

ClipshowDynasty
http://www.myspace.com/38429572

ClipshowDynasty
Look you shit for brains North Texas fuck, I am going to make this so simple that even you will be able to understand. I hate Dallas. I hate all Dallas teams. I hate all Dallas neocon, ass backward GOP loving fuckheads. And it doesn't matter that this is a MLB board you inbred pile of goatshit.

I hate the Rangers just as much.

And I am a Redskin fan because I spent half of my life in Northern Virginia and also because THERE IS NO NFL TEAM in San Antonio and I would rather eat glass shards then support the cowpigs.

And btw what the fuck is a Dallas Maverick supporting loser-faggot like you doing on a Spurs forum? Doesn't that make you a fuckstick? Eat shit and commit suicide afterward please.

ClipshowDynasty
last thing I will ever say to you on this entire forum as long as it exists

dude I hope you die a slow painful death after being fucked up the ass by prison homos with 12 foot dicks

You really are everything that has ever been wrong with the entire fucking world. You sell out a guy you hang out with in person just to impress people you’ve never met that you play Madden with.

Well I hope your status in the Madden crew is tight. Hope all the blue-named Mavs fans you play Madden with, with your precious colts see you as a down ass white boy for giving them our real names, and all that info they kept trolling us with back in april.

Cuz it’s really probably that they learned all that private shit from some other poster on this site, right?

You are a fucking walking zombie, because regardless of anything you ever do in this life, you’re always going to know that you sold out a great person just to impress XBOX Madden Mavericks fags.

That is what you did. You fucked over someone you had real people interactions with just to gain status on the fucking internet. You are a piece of shit and I hope the next person on spurstalk that turns up dead is you.

And what’s REALLY REALLY FUNNY is that you might have seen our pictures and act all tough guy but you actually know jack shit about us. Nothing other than our names. I told mike from day 1 he was stupid to hang out with you especially after he told me what a fucking walking acoustic guitar playing junkie you were.

But after this, after your shallow actions possibly leading to this bull shit…you best believe you will have the ability to shove a shank up my gooch. Because I never roll alone and you truly do not know any of us.
I cannot recognize you but if anyone I am with in Austin ever sees your ass we will follow you home and we will fucking destroy you.

Have fun playing Madden with that choker Peyton and always remember you sold out a real life friend for internet mavs props.

Fuck you and I hope you burn in hell.

ClipshowDynasty
09-25-2011, 01:13 AM
The _Allas Mavericks disgust me more than any other team in pro sports history. I actually relocated my family down to Port Arthur because of that team. Ever since Jason Terry punched Michael Finley below the belt, I promised my wife I'd never set foot in that trashy city again. Well, it's been 4 years since then and I'm proud to say I kept my word.

Not only that but I get to root for a team with real class, and that's the San Antonio Spurs. There's a reason we got 4 rings, and those chokers led by _Irk will never see one.

ClipshowDynasty
09-25-2011, 01:13 AM
You just don't fucking get it...this is not about the military..this is about the soldier...how many ways can it be put before you finally get your head out of your ass long enough to understand it? This is about the people who have fought and died for this country so you don't have to. This isn't about the business of the military, it's about the soldier. The people who have fought and died for you so you don't have to. Vietnam was the last time we had the draft...that was only 50 years ago...since then, enough people have chosen to fight so it didn't have to exist anymore, so they eliminated it. Without them, you could easily have been put into this war yourself. It's about that man...that man who chose to fight so you wouldn't have to

Monostradamus
09-25-2011, 01:22 AM
crofl.

ClipshowDynasty
09-25-2011, 01:24 AM
lol booharv

Monostradamus
09-25-2011, 01:25 AM
lol dumbass ######s the trash of da world

:wow

jag
09-25-2011, 11:37 AM

So I really think everyone here who thinks these numbers are anything less than bogus should really think about altering their position before things snap back to normal and they look like the "its because they juice the ball" or "its because of these new bats they make out of hickory and maplewood" retards from when Bonds head was swelling to the size of a pumpkin.

Shit, what am I saying...if anything like that ever happens Rog will just outlaw sacks.

This thread has so many twists and turns. This topic.. I am interest :corn:

Booharv
09-25-2011, 03:34 PM
lol MavDynasty has head so far up Mav Krew's ass they could all give their accounts to GNSF and he would still blow their posts for months before he caught on.

Booharv
09-25-2011, 03:34 PM
Anyways, Brady plays like a Young Testaverde, still drops 386. 13, you on notice. Be prepped for your photo op in the Kraft Booth when this charade is over. Probably around week 8 in Pittsburgh. Christ.

ClipshowDynasty
09-25-2011, 03:49 PM
:lol naw brah, just funny that you thought theyd actually do that tbh...

Booharv
09-25-2011, 03:51 PM
:lol naw brah, just funny that you thought theyd actually do that tbh...

No, I never thought they would do that. I was just shitting on their posts.

ClipshowDynasty
09-25-2011, 03:54 PM
No, I never thought they would do that. I was just shitting on their posts.

:lol ok

oh i remember reading somewhere, someone said you were on MK's nuts?

Booharv
09-25-2011, 03:57 PM
Some other odds and ends as long as I'm talking to myself/bitching about the modern NFL:

*This shit about the QBs being Bigger, Faster, Stronger, etc. and that being the reason for this is bs since Brees is not even 6 feet: (http://www.boston.com/sports/football/articles/2010/02/07/brees_may_lack_height_but_has_other_weapons/) and doesn't have a very strong arm. He's a good QB a pro bowler in any era imo, but here you got a 5'9 weak armed guy dropping 4800 yard seasons like its nothing year after year for a half decade. And you don't notice this shit might be somewhat bogus? gmafb
*All this outrage about the Cut block will amount to nothing imo since it doesn't negatively affect the passing game or players such as QBs or receivers (ie the vital elements of the passing game) and benefits them asamof (O-linemen use the strategy to great effect) expect them to stay legal for the foreseeable future. Basically if you don't know what a cut block is, it involves an offensive player launching himself in a projectile like fashion at a defenders acls or better yet achilles. Its most effective if the guy isn't looking. Then you can sometimes get the bonus of destroying an mcl as well: http://www.jcfb.com/forum/messageview.aspx?catid=9&threadid=13342&enterthread=y
http://www.thewarpath.net/redskins-locker-room/39591-is-roger-goodell-good-for-nfl-10.html
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=102405
ESPN seems concerned about this per the usual: http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=3514441
Here is a list of players the Broncos have crippled with the technique. Expect them to have mobility problems later in life, not that that matters to Goodell and Co. since they don't play pitch and catch http://proxy.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=theismann_joe&id=1912145 I'll actually have a tiny bit of respect for Goodell if he does something about that shit, but I doubt he will.

Booharv
09-25-2011, 04:02 PM
:lol ok

oh i remember reading somewhere, someone said you were on MK's nuts?

Brah, If I want to read BUMP and Dirk4MVP's posts from several months ago I'll use the search feature. Kindly fuck off.

Veterinarian.
09-25-2011, 04:11 PM
booharv takin' up the ass i saaaaaiiiiidddddddddddddddddddd

Blake
10-25-2011, 02:00 PM
lol half the league's starters not topping 200 yards

the stats from week 7 don't count

Greg Oden
10-25-2011, 02:09 PM
Is booharv still in a pissy mood?

dav4463
10-26-2011, 12:04 AM
Guys like Unitas, Namath, Dawson, Lamonica, Bradshaw, Staubach etc...didn't make their careers by throwing 3 yard dumpoffs and hoping for long runs. That is what running backs were for!

Also, receivers were banged, bumped, knocked down all over the field and the quarterbacks had to deal with it.

Plus, every time a QB threw a pass; he stood in there willing to take a brutal hit from a defender and still got up smiling!

They were tougher back then!

Sean Cagney
10-26-2011, 12:14 AM
Guys like Unitas, Namath, Dawson, Lamonica, Bradshaw, Staubach etc...didn't make their careers by throwing 3 yard dumpoffs and hoping for long runs. That is what running backs were for!

Also, receivers were banged, bumped, knocked down all over the field and the quarterbacks had to deal with it.

Plus, every time a QB threw a pass; he stood in there willing to take a brutal hit from a defender and still got up smiling!

They were tougher back then!

I would say moreso reciever stats as well since the newer rules got set in, but yeah passing near 5000 yards now and 48TD's as Marino did it in 84 is more common now with the newer rules ! A BS receiver now will catch 80 plus balls too! Thats a given.

Booharv
10-26-2011, 12:37 AM
Ooh missed this part...

Then a burn from his Veterinarian. account to the guy BUMP said he thinks is Veterinarian in this very thread............................................ .................................................. .............................................

Hi.

10-26-2011, 01:22 AM
tbh Veterinarian. isn't BUMP anymore imo

he gave it up to a certain someone who was banned

Booharv
10-26-2011, 01:39 AM

tbh Veterinarian. isn't BUMP anymore imo

he gave it up to a certain someone who was banned

That was MavDynasty basically all the idiocy on page 2 was MavDynasty; Veterinarian., Arlington Native, etc. all of it. He misunderstood a joke and then ejaculated for like 25 minutes basically.

I'm not Veterinarian even though BUMP aka milkshakeballa is completely convinced I am, but I just think its funny he shits on me with Veterinarian. in a thread where BUMP said that.

DUNCANownsKOBE
10-26-2011, 08:31 AM
Maybe you should ask for his picture

Kyle Orton
10-26-2011, 11:39 AM
crofl booharv thinking I'm Arlington native

Booharv
10-26-2011, 12:45 PM
Maybe you should ask for his picture
Impressive aggravational maneuver DoK. For someone of your skill level at it I mean of course.

crofl booharv thinking I'm Arlington native

I wouldn't start this.

Arlington Native
10-26-2011, 01:35 PM
That was MavDynasty basically all the idiocy on page 2 was MavDynasty; Veterinarian, Arlington Native, etc. all of it. He misunderstood a joke and then ejaculated for like 25 minutes basically.

http://nerdsatthecooltable.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/Shaking-My-Head.gif

Monostradamus
10-26-2011, 01:38 PM
What's the deal with all the troll swapping? The troll incest on this site is so bad it reminds me of a Appalachian family reunion!

Boooooooooooom!

oShTJ90fC34

4>0 Rings' Treadmill
10-26-2011, 08:18 PM
I'm not Veterinarian

lulz

John Kramer
02-23-2014, 08:04 PM
What's the deal with all the troll swapping? The troll incest on this site is so bad it reminds me of a Appalachian family reunion!

Boooooooooooom!

oShTJ90fC34

notsurewhosjewingwhoanymore.jpg

Avante
02-23-2014, 08:11 PM
If a player can play today he would have ruled any other era, these QB's today are in with the greatest defensive "athletes" the league has ever seen. If they rule vs that level of opposition think what they would have done vs smaller and slower athletes.

Willie Davis was a monster d lineman on those great Packer teams, he's in the HOF all 245 pounds of him.

DeadlyDynasty
02-24-2014, 12:05 AM
I miss Booharv, no homo...he was an original--might still be posting though

4>0 Rings' Treadmill
02-24-2014, 01:03 PM
Booharvinarian, the ":cry I'm not Veterinarian, I promise!! :cry" bads per par Witten no helmet, Collins/Sam inspiration to many young kids etc

Still, he brought the goods most of the time. Him and 'MP were the best at bringing stuff completely out of left field. Too bad they're both gone (atleast I think tbh)