PDA

View Full Version : to anyone who cares:jackson to coach lakers

tim_duncan_fan
06-14-2005, 12:26 PM
http://espn.go.com/

news is in a little box on the right side of the screen with a picture of Phil Jackson

Kori Ellis
06-14-2005, 12:27 PM
I can't believe after all the trash he talked about Kobe, they are going to be back together again.

Losers.

Breaking News
Phil, Kobe Reunited
A year after leaving L.A., Phil Jackson is returning to coach the Lakers. The team, which missed the playoffs this season, will announce the hiring at a news conference at 5 p.m. ET.

EasilyAmused
06-14-2005, 12:28 PM
I can't help but just :lol
So much drama.

ShoogarBear
Where else could Phil find a job where he gets head from his boss?

mookie2001
phil is a dumbass he knows espns chodes are gonna explode for him right during the finals

timvp
06-14-2005, 12:30 PM

Well, Kevin McHale and the Timberwolves are pretty desperate to have a winner up in Minnesota ...

Dex
06-14-2005, 12:31 PM
Drama queens.

Ishta
06-14-2005, 12:33 PM
:angel Well, it will be sweet to beat that asshole again next year :angel

GhostofAlfrederickHughes
06-14-2005, 12:34 PM
Here's what's ridiculous: the league should prevent a moratorium on these types of announcements until AFTER the Finals. They don't let free agents sign during the finals, do they? Speaking as a fan, not just a Spurs fan, the Finals should be a time to focus on the two best teams, not the circus atmosphere surrounding a bunch of losers.

Somehow, I think the Spurs could win by 50 points tonight, and all we'll hear about is this freaking egomaniac.

ChumpDumper
06-14-2005, 12:35 PM
Great, we get to see another fucking interview tonight.

When the first interview was from El Segundo, I figured it had to be a done deal.

Jimcs50
06-14-2005, 12:36 PM
I guess Jeannie Buss gets her man afterall.

whottt
06-14-2005, 12:36 PM
Phil Jackson will turn the Lakers into a great team once again...

This Laker team is going to resemble Jackson's Bulls...do I need to point out the obvious paralells of Kobe and Odom to MJ and Scottie?

It's a good move for the Lakers...and I personally am not happy to see PJ returning...the dude is a great coach and the Lakers will be tough once again.

Right now their only need is rebounding and perhaps a PG upgreade...Phil's last seeding of clutch shooting role players is just now starting to bear fruit though...

BTW..for all of you Barry haters...the Lakers are now a prime team to trade Brent Barry too. Phil wanted him the last time he was there...I gurantee you Phil will want Barry on his team for his ball handling, poise and big shot ability...

Mark in Austin
06-14-2005, 12:37 PM
Big Chief Triangle and Kobe deserve each other.

picnroll
06-14-2005, 12:38 PM
Dallas?

2centsworth
Can't wait till next year!

PM5K
I don't get it, he wasn't good enough for them the year before last but he is good enough for them next year?

It does make some sense on Phil's part, he's going to make a shit load of money and he said he doesn't like to coach the same bunch for more than a certain ammount of years, and since Kobe AKA THE GM basically traded away the whole team this basically is a new team for Phil...

spurschick
06-14-2005, 12:40 PM
Breaking News
Phil, Kobe Reunited
A year after leaving L.A., Phil Jackson is returning to coach the Lakers. The team, which missed the playoffs this season, will announce the hiring at a news conference at 5 p.m. ET.

This sucks - this is all we're going to hear about tonight. Leave it to Phil Jackson and the Lakers to worm themselves into the spotlight during the finals.

Kori Ellis
06-14-2005, 12:40 PM
This Laker team is going to resemble Jackson's Bulls...do I need to point out the obvious paralells of Kobe and Odom to MJ and Scottie?

Odom wants out and is a tradeable commodity.

ShoogarBear
06-14-2005, 12:42 PM
Dallas?
:lmao

BillsCarnage
06-14-2005, 12:46 PM
http://www.siliconghost.com/images/bfd.gif

:fro

TwoHandJam
06-14-2005, 12:48 PM
:lmao

Who cares? The Lakers aren't going anywhere with Grant's contract for the next two years.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-14-2005, 12:51 PM

Put down the crack pipe. You can't win shit in this day and age without a legitimate big man, and none of those are going to be landing in LA anytime soon unless Stern starts fixing the lotto.

whottt
06-14-2005, 12:51 PM

I know Odom wants out...losing does that to players. That's not going to be a problem when Phil returns...

Phil got MJ and Scottie(this was the amazing one) to live in peace with Dennis Rodman...he sucessfully managed the egos of Shaq and Kobe for 3 title runs...this tiff between Kobe and Odom is nothing compared to that.

I am not saying LA won't trade Odom...but they aren't going to trade him just because he wants out...if they don't get a second Supertar there won't be a trade...Phil spent this entire season watching the Lakers and deciding if he could do anything with that team...IMO, he wouldn't go back for an unknown situation.

BTW...it's not remembered very well now...but people didn't exactly like being Michael Jordan's teamates prior to Phil getting there. He was always detatched from his teamates just like Kobe, about the only time he interacted with one of them was if he was punching them in the face.

Sorry gang but the Lakers are back. They'll be a top 4 team in the West next season..at the minimum.

I hate Phil but he's a great coach, the best ever IMO.

ZStomp
06-14-2005, 12:52 PM

It's a good move for the Lakers...and I personally am not happy to see PJ returning...the dude is a great coach and the Lakers will be tough once again.

Right now their only need is rebounding and perhaps a PG upgreade...Phil's last seeding of clutch shooting role players is just now starting to bear fruit though...

BTW..for all of you Barry haters...the Lakers are now a prime team to trade Brent Barry too. Phil wanted him the last time he was there...I gurantee you Phil will want Barry on his team for his ball handling, poise and big shot ability...

Is that a typo?

Or am I reading it wrong?

jcrod
06-14-2005, 12:56 PM
If he turns this team around, which I think he could because of Kobe, I'll think differently of him as a coach. The similarties are there from the Bulls.

Oh and he's being his usual A-hole self, by announcing this shit today.

spur219
06-14-2005, 12:56 PM
I don't know. If the Lakers draft Sean May the Lakers might have something going.

Who would the Spurs want from the Lakers to give up Barry. Ain't happening.

samikeyp
06-14-2005, 12:57 PM
I hate Phil but he's a great coach, the best ever IMO.

One of the best but not even the best in LA, IMO.

picnroll
06-14-2005, 12:59 PM
Phil won't do jack with the Lakers next year. Maybe if there's a lockout Phil can toss out another * remark to give himself an excuse for the Lakers sucking. Even odds Kobe goes Spreewell on his neck before the year's over.

easjer
06-14-2005, 01:01 PM
Fuck 'em.

Phil Jackson the greatest coach ever? Hardly. I will admit he's done some good things with better than average players (yes, that is meant to be a little ironic). But he did not truly handle the Shaq and Kobe egos and I won't believe he's a great coach until he takes on rebuilding a team from floor up and makes them win. Letting players do their own thing doesn't make a great coach, imo, just a minimally intelligent one.

Lakers good next year? Perhaps. Depends on who they pick up. Kobe is the real problem for that team and has been for years. Until he learns how to play nicely and share the ball, they'll struggle.

Twisted_Dawg
06-14-2005, 01:02 PM

Perhaps if his boss was Mark Cuban???

whottt
06-14-2005, 01:02 PM
Is that a typo?

Or am I reading it wrong?

You must be reading it wrong...I hate Phil with a passion and he's the main reason I hated the Lakers of the most recent era...

I am just being honest...the guy is a fucking great coach...

He knows chokers and he knows clutch...on his team and others..and he's the only coach I have ever seen that can gewt scrubs to believe they are the best player on the court...EG...Derek Fisher hitting the clutchest shot in NBA history last season(and it was a good shot).

If any team shouldn't doubt Phil Jackson it should be the Spurs...

In every one of our titles a player that had been coached on how to win by Phil played a key role in winning it..

In 98-99 it was Perdue(and Kerr was on that team too)
In 03 it was Kerr
This year if we win we got Horry who has played a huge role...even though Horry already knew how to do it before Phil...he got better at it under Phil.

Phil Jackson's teams never lack belief...never.

There is no way the Lakers should have been able to come back and beat us last season...Phil Jacksons adjustments and his players believing they were supreme were the reason they did.

ducks
06-14-2005, 01:04 PM
nice this jack ass has to take the spot light of the nba finals

HE IS A ME FIRST EGO IDIOT

ducks
06-14-2005, 01:05 PM
phil is not a great coach
tex winter is
end of discussion

whottt
06-14-2005, 01:06 PM
phil is not a great coach
tex winter is
end of discussion

Tex Winters coaching record: 90-121

Dr.Phil
06-14-2005, 01:06 PM
I think Phil needs to ask himself why he's coming back to coaching.
What is the real reason for this decision?
Money? I don't think so.
Ego? You damn betcha!
But feeding an excessive ego can have many downfalls as Kobe is well aware of.

ducks
06-14-2005, 01:07 PM
odom for ?

whottt
06-14-2005, 01:11 PM
People have been waiting for Phil's ego to get him in trouble for 15 years...they've been waiting with baited breath for him to be taught a lesson for his arrogance...

I guess it finally happened to him last season..if you can consider 9 fucking rings a comeuppance.

And Phil's not the one that changed...Kobe is. Kobe thought it was all about him too...then he realized just how good Phil is as a coach.

You don't win 9 fucking rings with all those headcases and egos just because they are talented...the guy is a master coach.

Say what ever you want about the guy...but the track record is clear...MJ, Scottie, Shaq and Kobe...zero rings without him...before or after he was there. 9 rings with him...beginning with the first or second year he was there.

adidas11
06-14-2005, 01:13 PM
In a way, this sort of pisses me off...

There was no reason whatsoever for the Lakers to have let go of Phil in the first place. Now they want to hire him back, a year later!?!? I mean, I guess I'm happy that we have a legitimate coach at the helm again, but the decision making by our front office leaves a lot to be desired...

Anyhow, so he's back. Will the Lakers be a contender next season? I seriously doubt it. I hope the Laker brass will remain patient (high unlikely, with Jerry Buss!), put the pieces together one at a time, and move from there. The Lakers goal next season should be to make the playoffs, and establish some sort of continuity on the roster.

spur219
06-14-2005, 01:14 PM
Phil is not a great coach. He is a good coach but a great mentor. He knows the triangle very well but is not an excellent coach when it comes to X's and O's. When I see him rebuild a team from the bottom up then I will believe it.

MadDog73
06-14-2005, 01:16 PM
Is there ANY chance, I mean however slight, that Shaq (who's a free agent, right?) will become a Laker again?

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-14-2005, 01:16 PM
I think it's awesome to see. The pussy quit once before with LA when he realized he had no chance of winning a ring, and I look forward to our boys in black driving him to the same cop out again.

Plus, we get to kick Phil's ass three times a year. Rock on.

ShoogarBear
06-14-2005, 01:18 PM
Is there ANY chance, I mean however slight, that Shaq (who's a free agent, right?) will become a Laker again?
You'd sooner see Kobe become the spokesperson for Colorado resort hotels.

picnroll
06-14-2005, 01:19 PM
Okay whottt put it on the line right now. With the big bad boogey man Phil where will the Lakers' finish? Miss the playoffs?, First round and out? Second round and out? WCFs and out? NBA championship but lose? Bring home the rings? I say one and done same as what they could possibloy achieve without Phil.

MadDog73
06-14-2005, 01:20 PM
Lakers will do better with Phil than without him.

But I will reserve my picks for next year until I at least see a roster.

1Parker1
06-14-2005, 01:21 PM

Whott, that's the worst post u've ever had. Bulls had other players outside those 2. WHo's gonna be their Dennis Rodman? Or steve Kerr? Devean George? I don't think so. Aside from Odom and Kobe, LA litterally has no one. Even Pop wouldn't be able to turn a team like that around. A team isnt just made of 2 great players.

Now if they make some interesting trades, that changes the story.

1Parker1
06-14-2005, 01:28 PM
How can people say that Phil Jackson is not a great coach? 9 championships should warrant him being if not the best coach one of the top 3. I don't care that he had MJ, Kobe, Shaq, etc on his team. Like Whott said, how did those players fare in the NBA before they were coached by him? Sure the talent was there, but there are a lot of great NBA players who were forced to retire without rings: Look at Reggie Miller, Look at Malone and Stockton. Look what PJ managed to do to us last year!

For those arguing that he is not a great coach but a great mentor....a coach is a mentor!

whottt
06-14-2005, 01:28 PM
Phil is not a great coach. He is a good coach but a great mentor. He knows the triangle very well but is not an excellent coach when it comes to X's and O's. When I see him rebuild a team from the bottom up then I will believe it.

Pop hasn't rebuilt a team from the bottom up.

Unless you consider David Robinson the bottom.

zedman
06-14-2005, 01:29 PM
:angel Well, it will be sweet to beat that asshole again next year :angel

I couldn't agree more! :lol

NASHville
06-14-2005, 01:33 PM

Unless you consider David Robinson the bottom.

The only thing Phil has built from the bottom up is his big fat EGO!

LoveMySpurs
06-14-2005, 01:33 PM
Here's what's ridiculous: the league should prevent a moratorium on these types of announcements until AFTER the Finals. They don't let free agents sign during the finals, do they? Speaking as a fan, not just a Spurs fan, the Finals should be a time to focus on the two best teams, not the circus atmosphere surrounding a bunch of losers.

Somehow, I think the Spurs could win by 50 points tonight, and all we'll hear about is this freaking egomaniac.

Amen to the above!! Leave it to the Lakers/Jackson to manage to get the spotlight during OUR FINALS when they didn't even make it to the playoffs.

whottt
06-14-2005, 01:35 PM
Whott, that's the worst post u've ever had. Bulls had other players outside those 2. WHo's gonna be their Dennis Rodman?

Check my original post...I said they needed rebounding. They also need a 3 shooting PG with more poise that doesn't want to take a lot of shots...

And Horace Grant was Dennis Rodman before Dennis Rodman was...

And Dennis Rodman is about the worst example you can bring up...

Dennis Rodman was a member of this team and we couldn't hande his personality...on top of that, he nearly ended Scottie Pippen's career on a cheap shot when they were much younger...Jordan hated Rodman too...

Phil is the guy that got Rodman to be productive after he became a headcase...and he's the guy that managed the egos of Rodman, Pippen and Jordan into the best team in NBA history.

Or steve Kerr?

Steve Kerr hadn't won shit before Phil picked him up. He wasn't known as being clutch either...he was Fred Hoiberg with worse knees.

Devean George?

Devean George sucks.

I don't think so.

You think Steve Kerr, Derek Fisher, John Paxon, Brian Shaw and all those guys were household names before hooking up with Phil?

Phil is the guy that turned those guys into winners...he's the guy that put them on the court to hit game winning shots.

Aside from Odom and Kobe, LA litterally has no one. Even Pop wouldn't be able to turn a team like that around. A team isnt just made of 2 great players.

Caron Butler is a good player too...I actually don't think their C is that bad. He's better than I thought he was.

Now if they make some interesting trades, that changes the story.

Hey, I'm not saying they are going to win the title next season, becuse they do need more rebounding...but they won't be the hardluck losers this years Laker team will be. They'll be a good team next season.

Medvedenko
06-14-2005, 01:36 PM
This is good for La La land....surely you spur fans appreciate this news to be dealt to you during your parade run.....
Let's look at the roster before we can make any determinations on where they'll end up. They were a Kobe injury and Rudy T meltdown away from a playoff team last year, without Divac and Malone. With some moves they will be allright. I hear the Boozer trade is still on the table, plus bender for George and some picks. They could keep Odom and move him to the 3 while trading away Butler (Stock risen post all-star break) for starting PF. If Divac shakes off the rust he can be just as good as Longley, Wennigton, and Cartwright. Plus they have Sasha, Mihm and Medvedenko....

Horry For 3!
06-14-2005, 01:37 PM
They keep talkin bout that on ESPN right now. Blah blah blah. Lame.

T Park
06-14-2005, 01:39 PM

who did Phil Jackson build from the bottom up???

It wasnt the Bulls and it sure as fuck wasnt the fuckin Lakers.

But jump off the ledge and worry about Tierre Brown and Chris Mihm, and other stiffs.

BTW, trade em Brent Barry, hes shown that great poise and shooting in the Finals I agree.......

whottt
06-14-2005, 01:40 PM
In a way, this sort of pisses me off...

There was no reason whatsoever for the Lakers to have let go of Phil in the first place. Now they want to hire him back, a year later!?!? I mean, I guess I'm happy that we have a legitimate coach at the helm again, but the decision making by our front office leaves a lot to be desired...

Anyhow, so he's back. Will the Lakers be a contender next season? I seriously doubt it. I hope the Laker brass will remain patient (high unlikely, with Jerry Buss!), put the pieces together one at a time, and move from there. The Lakers goal next season should be to make the playoffs, and establish some sort of continuity on the roster.

Kobe needed to be humbled...he has been.

It took Jordan a lot of ass kickings in which he scored 40 points to get humbled enough to realize teamates were important, as well.

It's amazing how few people remember what Jordan was before Phil got there...he was a ball hogging selfish player that couldn't win the big one and shot his team out of games just as much as Kobe does.

After Phil got there he became a ballhogging selfish player that knew he had to get teamates involved if he wanted to win a title.

myhc
06-14-2005, 01:42 PM
whott, aren't you a spurs fan?

phil jackson is one of the best coaches of all time, no doubt about that. but you're kidding yourself if you don't think him having jordan, pippen, shaq and kobe all in their primes didn't have a huge effect on his coaching legacy. he was at the right place at the right time. i'd love to see what he could do with a team like Houston or Dallas and see if he can turn them into championship contenders. i seriously doubt they will finish in the top 4-5. the teams i see finishing ahead of them:

Spurs
Suns
Mavs
Sonics(assuming Ray Allen comes back)
Rockets
Nuggets

T Park
06-14-2005, 01:43 PM
he has been

lol, yeah Kobe has ratched down his ego keep tellin yourself that.

PANIC!!

WHOOP WHOOP WHOOP WHOOP

whottt
06-14-2005, 01:43 PM
who did Phil Jackson build from the bottom up???

Hey Stupid fuck...that was the question I was responding too...

Go gag on Pop's dick and don't ask me questions I am answering as you ask me the question.

spurs_fan_in_exile
06-14-2005, 01:44 PM
Phil you spotlight stealing shitweasel! Although the conspiracy theorist in me thinks that ABC called up Phil in desperation to do something to make people watch the finals. Whatever the reason, the Lake show is not going to be great until they have something resembling a decent big man on that team. Vlade? Grant? Walton, Jr.? Gimme a fucking break.

And Odom, whether he stays or not, is not going to be half of a dynamic duo. Compared to what he has the physical gifts to become he is a massive disapointment. There's no reason this guy shouldn't have been the next Pippen already. He's mentally soft and even the Zen master isn't going to change that. He's going to ride in with even bigger expectations than Rudy T had to deal with and I think things are going to bust even harder on his sorry ass. Way to sleep your way back into coaching you Jedi wannabe turd.

whottt
06-14-2005, 01:47 PM
In case you tools have never read one of my posts...I absolutely despise Phil Jackson...he and Shaq are the two people in NBA history that I hate more than anyone.

That doesn't change the reality that he's a great coach...a great fucking coach.

Who the fuck cares that he hasn't built a team from the ground up?

The objective of a coach is to win a fucking title...not build a team from the ground up.

You tell me a coach that has won a title building from the ground up in the past 25 years.

Conversely...how many guys that have had talent have won 9 fucking rings?

Auerbach had a lot more talent than Phil has ever had.

Don't let your hate fool you...

The Lakers will be in the playoffs next year...they will be one of the best teams in the West. They won't win the title...but this season will be a distant memory after next years team gets done.

T Park
06-14-2005, 01:48 PM
Hey Stupid fuck...that was the question I was responding too...

Go gag on Pop's dick and don't ask me questions I am answering as you ask me the question.

lol

touchy touchy

step away from the computer Tyson.

Xolotl
06-14-2005, 01:50 PM
Is the rivalry back on now that Phil has returned?

PM5K
06-14-2005, 01:52 PM
Shit Jerry Sloan is a better fucking coach....

PM5K
Is the rivalry back on now that Phil has returned?

No, you have to be good for there to be a rivalry....

whottt
I still don't get the point about building a team from the bottom up...

That's what Larry Brown likes to do...guess what? He's won one fucking NBA title in about 75 years as a coach...and he did it with a team that was already built when he got there.

Who gives a fuck if he can build a team from the ground up? Maybe he doesn't want to do that...Maybe, just maybe, he wants to win titles.

Do you guys want a coach that can build a playoff team from a lottery team or one that can win a championship with a talented team...

ShoogarBear
06-14-2005, 01:53 PM
If Phil does bring the Lake show back, then I would say his credentials as best coach ever are cemented.

If he can turn Lamar Odom into Scottie Pippen, then he is an absolute miracle worker.

I have no idea whether he can or not.

Much as I hate PJax and the whole La-la media lovefest, this will be a good thing for the league.

sa_butta
06-14-2005, 01:53 PM
desparation move for Lakers organization

PM5K
06-14-2005, 01:54 PM
I still don't get the point about building a team from the bottom up...

That's what Larry Brown likes to do...guess what? He's won one fucking NBA title in about 75 years as a coach...and he did it with a team that was already built when he got there.

Who gives a fuck if he can build a team from the ground up? Maybe he doesn't want to do that...Maybe, just maybe, he wants to win titles.

Do you guys want a coach that can build a playoff team from a lottery team or one that can win a championship with a talented team...

I want a coach that can take a team most people don't consider a championship team and make them one, that's what Larry Brown did and it was impressive, but a ton of credit goes to Joe D for putting them all together, with some luck from Fisher...

Xolotl
No, you have to be good for there to be a rivalry....

I dont think thats true. Even when the Red Sox sucked, and now the Yankees are on the decline. They still want to beat the shit out of each other.

I think it is back on, so that the Spurs can prove that he is a shitty coach. And send him off the floor crying when they get the #1 pick next year

T Park
The objective of a coach is to win a fucking title...not build a team from the ground up

No, but coaching a team that doesnt have 2 Hall of famers, to a ring, like Pop is doing this year, would be nice.

As much as you hate Pop, hes taking a team with 1 hall of famer, and some good players unlike Phil did, to a ring.

Sorry to bust your bubble.

whottt
Well what you want is stupid then...I want a guy that can win championships when given the talent to do so.

That's what a coach is supposed to do.

Xolotl
06-14-2005, 01:56 PM
Well what you want is stupid then...I want a guy that can win championships when given the talent to do so.

Yeah and he did a great job last year of doing just that.

T Park
06-14-2005, 01:57 PM

You mean like Pop??

OOps.....

spur219
I never said that Pop rebuilt the Spurs from the bottom up. A coach is a mentor but that is not the entire job. You have to know strategies and schemes. And yes Phil knows that but is not the best at that. Phil just came in to the Bulls and the Lakers at the perfect time. Yes he is a good coach but is not the best.

PM5K

A coach is supposed to make his team better, make them do things they couldn't do alone and do them together as a team, do you honestly think there aren't a ton of coaches that could have also coached two sets of top 50 players who are all hall of famers, including The GOAT to championships?

Phil stepped in at the right time, neither set of guys had been together long enough to win it all no matter who their coach was, PJ got there right when they were ready to get there....

picnroll
06-14-2005, 01:59 PM
If Phil does bring the Lake show back, then I would say his credentials as best coach ever are cemented.

If he can turn Lamar Odom into Scottie Pippen, then he is an absolute miracle worker.

I have no idea whether he can or not.

Much as I hate PJax and the whole La-la media lovefest, this will be a good thing for the league.
and it will make kicking Laker ass a lot more fun.

ShoogarBear
Yeah and he did a great job last year of doing just that.
The fact is that PJax beat Pop like a rag doll in the 2004 WC Semis.

Cant_Be_Faded
Great, now horry will abandon us this summer, shaq will sign with la, and Derek Fisher will back out of his contract with goldenstate so that they can restart the lakers and will own us next year

rofl

Xolotl
06-14-2005, 02:00 PM
I never said that Pop rebuilt the Spurs from the bottom up. A coach is a mentor but that is not the entire job. You have to know strategies and schemes. And yes Phil knows that but is not the best at that. Phil just came in to the Bulls and the Lakers at the perfect time. Yes he is a good coach but is not the best.

I'm confused I thought Pop did build this team from the bottom up. Wasn't he GM when they got Timmy. And I could be mistaking but thats where it all began.

whottt
06-14-2005, 02:01 PM
No, but coaching a team that doesnt have 2 Hall of famers, to a ring, like Pop is doing this year, would be nice.

Manu will be a Hall of Famer when he retired...

Horry will just about be a Hall of Famer when it's all said and done...

I need you to find a list of guys with 5-6 rings not in the HOF(John Salley does not count)

And need I point out the fact that Tony is already the second most sucesfful 23 year old PG in history in terms of winning titles...

Titles and MVP's are the path to the Hall of Fame.

As much as you hate Pop, hes taking a team with 1 hall of famer, and some good players unlike Phil did, to a ring.

Sorry to bust your bubble.

I don't hate Pop, I've never hated Pop...that's you being stupid and being a pussy about the slightest criticism of his coaching decisions...when it's warranted.

When was the last time I criticized Pop...Game 1 of the playoffs VS Denver...

When he was a dumbass late in the game with offensive substitions...a substitution pattern he hasn't repeated since.

ShoogarBear
06-14-2005, 02:03 PM
A coach is supposed to make his team better, make them do things they couldn't do alone and do them together as a team, do you honestly think there aren't a ton of coaches that could have also coached two sets of top 50 players who are all hall of famers, including The GOAT to championships?

Yep, there sure are: Don Nelson to name one Hall of Fame coach.

Here are two more bums in the Phil Jackson mold:
Number of John Wooden championships without consensus All-Americans: 0
Number of Red Auerbach championships without Bill Russell: 0

A coach who wins championships is a champion. You can't penalize hm because he has good players.

whottt
06-14-2005, 02:05 PM
I'm confused I thought Pop did build this team from the bottom up. Wasn't he GM when they got Timmy. And I could be mistaking but thats where it all began.

You are mistaken in a major way.

Cant_Be_Faded
06-14-2005, 02:05 PM
that's you being stupid and being a pussy about the slightest criticism of his coaching decisions...when it's warranted.

ROFLMAO Owned!!!!!

When was the last time I criticized Pop...Game 1 of the playoffs VS Denver...

Your Marklar's are wise, and true.

Xolotl
06-14-2005, 02:07 PM
You are mistaken in a major way.

Well then correct me, tell me how I'm mistaking. Not just say your wrong and give no explanation.

Cant_Be_Faded
06-14-2005, 02:08 PM
didnt robinson take us from the "bottom" to the greatest turnaround in history

ShoogarBear
06-14-2005, 02:10 PM
Pop took over in a fluke year when both Robinson and Eliott were out with injuries. The Spurs then hit the lottery and got Duncan, then Robinson and Elliott returned. Not exactly a masterpiece of strategic rebuilding.

Xolotl
06-14-2005, 02:10 PM

Yes he did, but I was talking more recently from winning championships. Maybe thats what whottt was referring to

T Park
06-14-2005, 02:11 PM

Yup.

Too bad he didnt have a guy like Pop to build around him like he does now with Tim Duncan.

But, pop is a moron.

Xolotl
06-14-2005, 02:12 PM
Pop took over in a fluke year when both Robinson and Eliott were out with injuries. The Spurs then hit the lottery and got Duncan, then Robinson and Elliott returned. Not exactly a masterpiece of strategic rebuilding.

Yeah and as we can tell from this year Robinson and Elliott have been lighting it up. What I was referring to were the draft choices made. I mean be honest when you hear Manu and Tonys names called you were like :huh

Cant_Be_Faded
06-14-2005, 02:13 PM
Pop called 4 down like 6 times in a row and it resulted in almost 6 turnovers during this one game in the denver series

i remember whottt scoffing at pop in chat

it made me realize Pop really isnt all that (not to say he sucks either..)

ShoogarBear
06-14-2005, 02:14 PM
Yeah and as we can tell from this year Robinson and Elliott have been lighting it up. What I was referring to were the draft choices made. I mean be honest when you hear Manu and Tonys names called you were like :huh
Yeah, but I was responding to your original statement, which was this:

whottt
06-14-2005, 02:15 PM
You mean like Pop??

OOps.....

Yes I mean like Pop...

Only you Pop suckers think I am being critical of Pop in this thread...

Some tool said that to be a great coach a coach has to build a team from the ground up and I pointed out that our own head coach, who is getting propped right and left right now hasn't done that...

All I was doing was saying Phil Jackson is a GREAT FUCKING COACH. I think he is the best in NBA history...because there were only like 2 teams in the NBA when Auerbach won all of his...and Bill Russell picked up right where he left off...

You guys act like Phil is the only coach to ever have talent or something...

A lot of coaches have had talent...a lot of coaches have had the best player in the NBA...none of them have 9 rings with 2 different teams except for Phil.

timvp
06-14-2005, 02:16 PM
Whottt is dominating this thread. His points are exactly right.

This is the best news for the Lakers since they packed their bags and headed to Los Angeles. PJax is the best coach ever. In any sport. The Spurs should have won last year but they choked ... in large part because PJax adjusted and Pop could never find the answer. I've never seen a series that was won more by a coach than last year's series.

In a way I'm glad because now the Spurs have a rival again. They'll be one of the better teams in the league very soon.

The Lakers are back.

Willinsa
06-14-2005, 02:16 PM
Dallas?

No wonder Avery is always happy. :lol

Xolotl
06-14-2005, 02:17 PM
Yeah, but I was responding to your original statement, which was this:

Ok I see where your coming from. Like I said I was referring to the bottom as that year they got the #1 and the top being when they won championships. I love David but I dont consider them reaching the top until they actually won something other than Midwest titles.....or what was it called before?

Cant_Be_Faded
06-14-2005, 02:18 PM
i disagree that the lakers are back right now, they still need to make some roster changes..

unless they pull a few malik-esque trades..

Slo spurs fan
06-14-2005, 02:18 PM
odom for ?

Rasho?

whottt
06-14-2005, 02:19 PM
Pop called 4 down like 6 times in a row and it resulted in almost 6 turnovers during this one game in the denver series

i remember whottt scoffing at pop in chat

it made me realize Pop really isnt all that (not to say he sucks either..)

I've called Pop a genius as an organization architect. I've called him a defensive genius...I've said there was no coach in the NBA I would replace him with except for maybe Phil Jackson...and the maybe is because I think arrogance would run directly against Duncan's career long mentoring under Pop.

But he isn't that great of an offensive coach and he isn't that great at building players confidence...he has a very harsh style that is a carbon copy of the millitary breakem down and buildem up style...and it doesn't work with all players...he does try to kiss player ass on occasion...but it's usually on the wrong type of player.

Anyway he's a great coach and I have never said he wasn't...I don't think he's as good of a coach as Phil Jackson is though...but basically you can't criticise Pop in the slightest without TPark having a vaginal discharge.

Spurminator
06-14-2005, 02:20 PM
You cannot argue with 9 rings. A competent coach would have been able to get this year's Lakers into the Playoffs. Phil will take them to another level. And don't forget that Free Agents will likely target LA to play for Phil.

I'm glad anyway... I can finally hate the Lakers again. I can't wait for the Spurs to end his season.

Xolotl
Whottt is dominating this thread. His points are exactly right.

This is the best news for the Lakers since they packed their bags and headed to Los Angeles. PJax is the best coach ever. In any sport. The Spurs should have won last year but they choked ... in large part because PJax adjusted and Pop could never find the answer. I've never seen a series that was won more by a coach than last year's series.

In a way I'm glad because now the Spurs have a rival again. They'll be one of the better teams in the league very soon.

The Lakers are back.

I also disagree the Lakers are back. They have no room under the cap from my understanding. I mean they're paying Brian Grant a rediculous amount of money since they got him from Miami. I don't think theres a team dumb enough to take over that contract.

whottt
And WTF is up with TPark anyway?

I saw him on the round table and he came off as a smart articulate guy...

I spit my coke on my monitor when I found out that guy was TPark, the same guy that's on my ass like a hemorrhoid every time I call out Pop for a bad decision.

T Park
The Lakers are back.

Yes im very frightened of Brian Grant, Chris Mihm, and Jumaine Jones.

frightening indeed.

Of course, Kobe can look past all of Phil's comments and such.

Yes, cause Kobe has no ego.

Ayyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee off the ledge.

T Park
06-14-2005, 02:21 PM
I saw him on the round table and he came off as a smart articulate guy

when im on here talking to you

its called "playing down to to the level of my competition"

Brenda.

ShoogarBear
06-14-2005, 02:23 PM
Larry Brown is a great coach for turning teams around and winning everywhere's he been. Phil Jackson is also a great coach for taking the best players and winning lots of titles.

They sort of represent the two extremes in models for being a sucessful coach.

I honestly don't know whether it's harder to do what Brown did or to do what Jackson did, but I do know that both come with some interesting psychological baggage.

Cant_Be_Faded
TPark is in the media too? Holy shit

Whottt stop making me add to the LoW

MannyIsGod
Kobe Bryant is no MJ. Big fucking deal, they struggle to win 50 games next year without an inside presence.

Slo spurs fan
06-14-2005, 02:24 PM
Kobe Bryant is no MJ. Big fucking deal, they struggle to win 50 games next year without an inside presence.

Odom for Rasho, anyone?

Cant_Be_Faded
06-14-2005, 02:25 PM
Odom for Rasho, anyone?

how can you be a rasho and a spurs fan and say that

T Park
06-14-2005, 02:26 PM
TPark is in the media too? Holy shit

Whottt stop making me add to the LoW

the LoW????

Im not in the media, but, I would like to be.

MannyIsGod
06-14-2005, 02:27 PM
I'd rather have Rasho on the bench than have him on the Lakers team.

T Park
06-14-2005, 02:27 PM

Im a rasho fan, and Im a die hard Spurs fan.

I would trade Rasho Nesterovic for Lamar Odom 20 times out of 20 times out of the day.

Cant_Be_Faded
06-14-2005, 02:28 PM
the LoW????

LOL of the Week

hmm, i guess LotW is more accurate

TPark how were you on the roundtable

Slo spurs fan
06-14-2005, 02:30 PM

1. It would be better for both teams
2. Rasho would see playing time :depressed

Jimcs50
06-14-2005, 02:31 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/id/3689074_18_2.jpg

I was a fool to ever leave your side
Me minus you is such a lonely ride
The breakup we had has made me lonesome and sad
I realize I love you
'Cause I want you bad, hey, hey

I spent the evening with the radio
Regret the moment that I let you go
Our quarrel was such a way of learning so much
I know now that I love you
'Cause I need your touch, hey, hey

Reunited and it feels so good
Reunited 'cause we understood
There's one perfect fit
And, sugar, this one is it
We both are so excited
'Cause we're reunited, hey, hey

I sat here staring at the same old wall
Came back to life just when I got your call
I wished I could climb right through the telephone line
And give you what you want
So you will still be mine, hey, hey

I can't go cheating, honey, I can't play
I found it very hard to stay away
As we reminisce on precious moments like this
I'm glad we're back together
'Cause I missed your kiss, hey, hey

There's one perfect fit
We both are so excited

Yeah, yeah, yeah
Ba-a-a-by

Lover, lover, this is solid love
And you're exactly what I'm dreaming of
All through the day
And all through the night

I'll give you all the love I have
With all my might, hey, hey

There's one perfect fit
We both are so excited

picnroll
06-14-2005, 02:31 PM
Archive this thread and let's look back at it a year from now.

I say Phil doesn't get the Lakers to the second round.

LilMissSPURfect
06-14-2005, 02:32 PM
Why couldn't he wait a couple more days? It's SPURS time right now!

Yes.....u knew it was too good to be true to actually have a finals without "laker" news..

:rolleyes

Xolotl
06-14-2005, 02:34 PM
Archive this thread and let's look back at it a year from now.

I say Phil doesn't get the Lakers to the second round.

Wow your being generous I don't think they'll even make the playoffs next year.

Cant_Be_Faded
06-14-2005, 02:34 PM
Fuck the Spotlight, The trophy is all that matters

Phil and Kobe can have gay hot hairy man sex all night on the spotlight, as long as the Spurs are strutting their stuff on the Riverwalk, I could care less.

angel_luv
06-14-2005, 02:35 PM
I'd rather have Rasho on the bench than have him on the Lakers team.

Methinks, so would Rasho. :lol

Spurminator
06-14-2005, 02:35 PM
Oh and fuck PJ and the Lakers for doing this during the Finals. I heard plenty of bitching and moaning when Emmitt retired close to the Super Bowl, but the Media's eating this shit up like Ramen. Guess they're relieved they don't have to find something to discuss about a series where they know jack about the two teams competing.

ShoogarBear
06-14-2005, 02:38 PM
Oh and fuck PJ and the Lakers for doing this during the Finals.
Amen.

Somebody tonight should clock the relative amounts of airtime during the studio show given to the Lakers versus to the actual damn game.

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
06-14-2005, 02:38 PM
Hahha, this is going to be such fun. The Lakers will be in the lottery again, Kobe will ask for a trade to Atlanta, Phil will quit mid-season, and the Lakers will not make it into the playoffs for the next ten years.

Probably, their worst decision ever, on the same level with trading Shaq. Jackson and Kobe will flame a word war if they have a losing streak. The rest of the roster sucks, and they will draft the next Larry Johnson.

And on a final note, who cares? Tonight, the NBA Finals.

angel_luv
06-14-2005, 02:41 PM
[QUOTE=Manu'sMagicalLeftHand]Hahha, this is going to be such fun. The Lakers will be in the lottery again, Kobe will ask for a trade to Atlanta, Phil will quit mid-season, and the Lakers will not make it into the playoffs for the next ten years.
QUOTE]

Starting next season in the continuing drama: As the Stomach Turns! :lol

MiNuS
Spurs are going to beat the shit out of the Pistons tonight and all we're going to hear is going to be about PJ and Kobe! Right NOW on ESPN radio thats all they're discussing..

Xolotl
He who writes a book that talks shit about your former All Star player may end up eating the most crow

Cant_Be_Faded
06-14-2005, 02:42 PM
Amen.

Somebody tonight should clock the relative amounts of airtime during the studio show given to the Lakers versus to the actual damn game.

I'm almost too scared to do it

ShoogarBear
06-14-2005, 02:42 PM
He who writes a book that talks shit about your former All Star player may end up eating the most crow
:lmao :lmao :lmao

picnroll
06-14-2005, 02:44 PM
Oh and fuck PJ and the Lakers for doing this during the Finals. I heard plenty of bitching and moaning when Emmitt retired close to the Super Bowl, but the Media's eating this shit up like Ramen. Guess they're relieved they don't have to find something to discuss about a series where they know jack about the two teams competing.
Buss had to do something. All those bandwaggoning Lakers fans were probably starting to buy Clippers season tickets.

TwoHandJam
06-14-2005, 02:49 PM
The only thing this means for us is we get to kick the Lakers out of the first round for a couple of years while we cement our dynasty.

Then, we'll get to kick them out of the second round a couple of times before Phil retires.

Nice. :)

T Park
06-14-2005, 02:51 PM
ahmen 2hand^^^^^

pooh
06-14-2005, 02:57 PM
But he did not truly handle the Shaq and Kobe egos and I won't believe he's a great coach until he takes on rebuilding a team from floor up and makes them win

Well...here is his opportunity, now lets see what he can do.

boutons
06-14-2005, 03:06 PM
This is quite interesting because Phil isn't coming into a ready-made team anywhere near championship level. He's basically taking on a re-building job.

Siler97
06-14-2005, 03:07 PM
well.....now we'll find out if he's for real. Usually he coaches teams that are already built for contention...but not these lakers

tsb2000
06-14-2005, 03:11 PM
I wonder if any of the reporters will bring up to Shaq his comment where he said, "I go where Phil goes." :lol

violentkitten
06-14-2005, 03:16 PM
wow, imagine hearing about phil jackson coaching somewhere during the nba finals...

Spurminator
06-14-2005, 03:17 PM
I wonder if any of the reporters will bring up to Shaq his comment where he said, "I go where Phil goes."

It's not out of the realm of possibility... It's only a matter of time before the Miami Love subsides and the Shaq Contract Extension (a.k.a. "I expect no less than the full amount of the NBA Salary Cap every year until 2009") talks begin.

ducks
06-14-2005, 03:29 PM
the lakers should have made the playoffs
it is not a rebuilding job as some make it out to be

Medvedenko
06-14-2005, 03:29 PM
Hey don't the spurs play the pistons tonight.....

adidas11
06-14-2005, 03:59 PM
Why is everyone under the assumption that Phil left the Lakers over a year ago?

That isn't what happened. Phil wanted to stay, but Buss ran him out of town. Now the Lakers are hiring him back a year later??

It just goes to show you that Buss didn't know what the hell he was doing last summer...

samikeyp
06-14-2005, 04:01 PM
Why is everyone under the assumption that Phil left the Lakers over a year ago?

because...he did? How he left might be under debate but he did leave. It was in all the papers. :)

seriously though...you are right about Buss...he did blow it.

MadDog73
06-14-2005, 04:03 PM
It just goes to show you that Buss didn't know what the hell he was doing last summer...

Amazing what not making the playoffs will do to you.... :lol

Slomo
06-14-2005, 04:05 PM
http://www.cikava.com/gallery/albums/album04/Darth_Jackson.jpg

samikeyp
06-14-2005, 04:06 PM
^^^:lmao :lmao

violentkitten
06-14-2005, 04:10 PM
Amazing what not making the playoffs will do to you.... :lol

no kidding. i thought giving up shaq meant so much sense...

MadDog73
06-14-2005, 04:16 PM
http://www.cikava.com/gallery/albums/album04/Darth_Jackson.jpg

That's great, Slomo! :rofl

I'm printing it out for my cube right now...

Xolotl
06-14-2005, 04:22 PM
Is that a lightsaber in his hand or a bong?

MadDog73
06-14-2005, 04:53 PM
Is that a lightsaber in his hand or a bong?

dude, don't you know, the police won't let you call it a bong.

It's a "water pipe". :lol

Or peace pipe, in PJ's case.

shelshor
06-14-2005, 05:02 PM
Great
This will make beating the Flakers so much sweeter
I have 2 questions
1) Who is he gonna hire as an assistant to actually rebuild the team, so he can hog the credit?
2) How will poor Al Michaels ever find time to do tonight's game 3 play by play?

Spurminator
06-14-2005, 05:06 PM
1) Who is he gonna hire as an assistant to actually rebuild the team, so he can hog the credit?

Tex Winter, I would imagine.

combs84
06-14-2005, 06:00 PM
This is really starting to annoy me. Watching Sporscenter I want to see some stuff about tonights game, not about Phil Jackson. Its the Finals!!!!!!!!! I don't care about Shaq, Kobe and Phil. They all lost!!!

samikeyp
06-14-2005, 06:01 PM
Watching Sporscenter I want to see some stuff about tonights game, not about Phil Jackson. Its the Finals!!!!!!!!

Something Pistons fans and Spurs fans can agree on!!

pooh
06-14-2005, 06:16 PM
but unfortunately Phil will dominate the spotlight tonight.

whottt
06-14-2005, 06:25 PM
Can't really blame the NBA for hyping this up...it's not much of a series yet. More like a boxer working out with his sparring partner.

T Park
06-14-2005, 06:29 PM
hopefully the series is over thursday,
and we can focus on the draft.

Cant_Be_Faded
06-14-2005, 07:09 PM
LOLOLOLOLOL score one for slomo

dude you should make some really tight OWNED pictures if the Spurs pull out this series. After all, OWNED is the them for this year's Spurs playoffs!