PDA

View Full Version : Nash

swaggerjackson
09-21-2011, 05:25 PM
Hey I am new to the forum. I feel like posting on the web might ease the pain of not having the NBA to watch.

Anyway and this of course is just for fun since no real big news is happening. Hypothetically would you deal Parker for Nash? Nash is borderline available depending on who you are listening to. I am not sure if they would want Tony. He is young but not the optimal player to rebuild with, nor is his contract short. But my logic with the Spurs is we get Nash for a year. If it works out great resign him and tim at seasons end and keep going. If the experiment fails his contract is up and let him walk.

Also a straight up deal might not make sense but I was think Parker, Mcdyess and picks for Nash, Lopez(who we coveted a while back), and Childress(they want out from under his contract bad). Salaries may not line up exactly but they are close. I am just tired of Tony to be honest. Duncan and Ginobili are winners. They do what it takes to win and make clutch plays. Parker has disappeared too much and I feel as though he hides behind stats. Sure he gets alot of buckets but not down the stretch IMO. Nash is a winner just like Duncan and Ginobili. What do you guys think?

And again I know this really doesn't have a chance of happening.

xellos88330
09-21-2011, 06:00 PM
I would stick with Tony. My reasoning is simple. You get Nash for only one year and give up a good pg who is young enough to play multiple years. Not only that the Spurs don't have much in the pipeline for other PG spots should Nash choose to only stay a year.

ChuckD
09-21-2011, 06:23 PM
Nash is ready for the glue factory. Nope.

Big P
09-21-2011, 06:34 PM
Take on Childress?? Not unless they take rj...even then, Phoenix is getting the better deal...they need to add cash and a pick at the minimum.

swaggerjackson
09-21-2011, 08:39 PM
Huh. All good points. I am an admitted Tony Parker hater, but I felt we were getting the better of the deal. Alot depends on the new CBA obviously but I think Nash is still a hell of a player, and even if he were to jump ship after the season a good point guard isn't that too hard to find in this league right now. That was just my thought process. I am not exactly in love with Tony Parker's contract right now either. I just can't see him carrying the team. Well we will see what happens when the lockout ends, just thought I would ask.

Proxy
09-22-2011, 12:29 PM
I would stick with Tony. My reasoning is simple. You get Nash for only one year and give up a good pg who is young enough to play multiple years. Not only that the Spurs don't have much in the pipeline for other PG spots should Nash choose to only stay a year.

Having Parker post TD & Manu will do nothing for us but keep us at a mediocre level. Once those two leave, SA's best option is to rebuild from scratch. It's not like the system the Spurs run now could be effective without those two anyways. If we could get Nash for TP, I would do it. Steve would've done a hell of a lot better against Memphis than Parker did.

Dex
09-22-2011, 01:42 PM
Why would any Spurs fan want to pick up the guy that has been perennially pwned by us for the past decade? (2010 notwithstanding)

Cane
09-22-2011, 01:46 PM
Both Nash and the Suns wouldn't want to trade to the Spurs given the rivalry's history.

However Nash could make the Spurs better and would get players like Richard Jefferson more involved in the offense. But the Spurs would need a legit back up PG since Nash's back and durability isn't what it used to be.

The Spurs would definitely be the new Suns if Nash heads on over too :downspin:

ALVAREZ6
09-22-2011, 03:56 PM
Why would any Spurs fan want to pick up the guy that has been perennially pwned by us for the past decade? (2010 notwithstanding)

Oh, so Nash has individually been pwned by us the past decade???? I didn't know that, I thought the mid 2000's Spurs pwned the mid 2000's Suns though. I thought he has played pretty well individually against the Spurs.

Dex
09-22-2011, 04:02 PM
Oh, so Nash has individually been pwned by us the past decade???? I didn't know that, I thought the mid 2000's Spurs pwned the mid 2000's Suns though. I thought he has played pretty well individually against the Spurs.

I'll admit that Nash pretty much always played like a gangbuster against us, but I still have spent too much time rooting against him to want to see him in silver and black.

Then again, if I could become a Robert Horry fan, I guess I could probably learn to accept anybody. :lol Then again, Robert Horry gave us the Detroit Dagger, so Nash would have to provide some similar heroics before I think he would sway most Spurs fans.

ivanfromwestwood
09-22-2011, 11:57 PM
i find myself touching myself at the thought of this trade going down. i would do it in a heartbeat.

Veterinarian.
09-23-2011, 12:08 AM
so the TP got owned by mike fuckin conley (:lmao) and you want to trade TP's defense for Nash's defense? The same Nash that got lit up by Bibby all those years in Dallas?

Offense isn't the Spurs problem brah, they were at the top last season.

DUNCANownsKOBE
09-23-2011, 12:26 AM
Take on Childress?? Not unless they take rj...even then, Phoenix is getting the better deal...they need to add cash and a pick at the minimum.
Yeah Childress has one of the worst contracts in the NBA. If the Suns can use Nash just to unload Childress and Warrick or Frye, it's worth it for them.

Proxy
09-23-2011, 09:34 PM
so the TP got owned by mike fuckin conley (:lmao) and you want to trade TP's defense for Nash's defense? The same Nash that got lit up by Bibby all those years in Dallas?

Oh really, brah? Didn't look that way against Memphis, brah... in fact, we could all assume the blame to Parker for playing like shit... offensively, defensively, and didn't start creating for others until it was too late... brah. At least Nash would have covered 2 of the 3 that TP didn't give us, brah.

On a serious note, Nash does suck at defense, and so do the Spurs, but I don't think expecting a PG to be a great defensive player is sensible, tbh. Bruce was the one to shut down Nash, Paul, Billups... etc. It was never Parker. Who would have ever thought.... Conley would rape TP?

MR.SILVER&BLack
09-24-2011, 01:22 PM

well with rj unlikely to be traded & with all the young players the spurs have (anderson,neal, kwahi, blair, splitter) dont see how having the master of floor control would hurt. the spurs would have done better with nash than tony against memphis. notice how tony couldnt get anyone involved and setteled for long mid range jumpers. Nash is way more clutch & has one of the highest BB IQ's in the game.

plus you have to look towards the future of the spurs. by the time the spurs get back to a playoff team tony would be ready for retirment. whether tim and nash would resign for a cheap 1 year contract or manu, tim, & nash retire. thats a ton of cap space the spurs get back. & looking at the 2012 free agents class. its looks like the best thing for the spurs.

but like the OP said its a highley unlikely trade.

DMC
09-24-2011, 10:14 PM
If Nash goes anywhere it's going to be NY to play in Mike D's system.

mavs>spurs
09-24-2011, 10:39 PM
Yeah Childress has one of the worst contracts in the NBA. If the Suns can use Nash just to unload Childress and Warrick or Frye, it's worth it for them.

It isn't 2005 anymore, Nash isn't that great of a commodity that people are going to be lining up to take BOTH of those terrible contracts off your hands for 1 year of over the hill Nash. If you guys get rid of nash, you'll get a decent younger piece like a tony parker, OR you'll get basically nothing except expiring contracts and be able to unload one of those shitty contracts. You ain't getting both talent and all those shitty salaries dumped just for nash's carcass imho.

DMC
09-25-2011, 12:43 AM
Rogue is correct, plus Phx screwed the pooch when they brought Shaq on board. They seem to love making stupid moves. Firing Mike D, Firing Steve Kerr, Firing Terry Porter (cause he wanted to play defense), Hiring Shaq, hiring Childress, Accepting the trades from the Magic...

Who's running the fucking show there now that the homo has left?

ElNono
09-25-2011, 03:30 AM
Kerr hired Shaq, IIRC. He was part of the problem.

elemento
09-25-2011, 05:11 AM
So Conley avging 14ppg and shooting 39% FG means raping Parker ..:lmao

You gotta love those Parker haters.

ALVAREZ6
09-25-2011, 12:08 PM
So Conley avging 14ppg and shooting 39% FG means raping Parker ..:lmao

You gotta love those Parker haters.

Or Parker going 4 for 16 and turning the ball over 8 times in one half means he fucking sucked donkey dick.

BG_Spurs_Fan
09-25-2011, 12:49 PM
Or Parker going 4 for 16 and turning the ball over 8 times in one half means he fucking sucked donkey dick.

Oh really? He did all that in one half? He must have been amazing during the other 11 halves then cause he finished the series at 20 ppg on 46%+ shooting.

ClipshowDynasty
09-25-2011, 01:08 PM
:lmao empty stats bro

ClipshowDynasty
09-25-2011, 01:09 PM
And tbh it's the weak front line starting shit next to the tired old shit bag Duncan that hurt y'all, trading for Nash wouldnt solve the real problem tbh

elemento
09-25-2011, 01:26 PM

So what he sucked 1 half ? How many times have we seen Manu or Timmy struggling 1 half as well ?

Now Parker haters get 1 bad half in a 6-game series to bash Parker :lol

Parker still had 19.7ppg shooting 46%FG, avging 5 asts.

but but but ..Conley destroyed Parker shooting 39%FG and avging 14ppg..:lmao

Parker is so unappreciated by some Spurs fans that it's sad.

DMC
09-25-2011, 02:49 PM
Kerr hired Shaq, IIRC. He was part of the problem.
Kerr didn't make unilateral decisions tbh

Kerr wanted to build a defensive minded team. Instead, the owners and fans seem to prefer the And1 play style.

That team will never have a ring until they adopt a defensive mindset.

DMC
09-25-2011, 02:50 PM
So what did that have to do with the legendary Mike Conley?

therealtruth
09-25-2011, 05:04 PM

Few people realize offense wasn't the problem. The offense got worse as the season wore on but the defense was a much bigger problem. Offense can work as a good defense but the Spurs slowed down their offense and didn't improve their defense. The reason the Spurs had so much success with the Suns is they would use Parker to run him ragged and then throw Bowen on him on defense. They wore him down on both offense and defense. When Bowen was no longer there the Suns swept the Spurs.

joshdaboss
09-25-2011, 11:40 PM
For one season, I'd do it in a heartbeat. But what happens after that? How much longer can Nash really play?

SpursIndonesia
09-26-2011, 08:00 PM
Parker is always the third wheel in the Spurs train, so why when the third wheel was having a relatively substandard series, the whole team demise falls upon him ? He had some responsibility in it, no doubt, but putting all the blame of that failure on him is just retarded IMHO.

lmbebo
09-26-2011, 08:05 PM
TP is prob a top 7-15 PG in this league now.
so many great point guards now.

He wasn't the reason we lost against the grizzlies. We got out hustled and played as a team.

joshdaboss
09-28-2011, 12:29 AM
We got out hustled and played as a team.

That's such a cookie cutter canned bullshit response. You sound like Popobitch. Parker should have dominated his matchup with Conley. He didn't, and he deserves most of the blame. End of story.

duhoh
09-28-2011, 01:28 AM
i'm not putting any blame on TD at all, but he lost like what, 15+ pounds over the offseason? yeah it helped him run, but z-bo and marc gasol were pushing him aside like an elephant stampede.

that's what raped us. not tp's lack of dominance.

joshdaboss
09-28-2011, 02:12 AM
i'm not putting any blame on TD at all, but he lost like what, 15+ pounds over the offseason? yeah it helped him run, but z-bo and marc gasol were pushing him aside like an elephant stampede.

Duncan put up about the same numbers he did in the regular season and does not have the same opportunities Parker has in the offense. Nor did he have the supposed mismatch Parker had; therefore, the blame is on Parker.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
09-28-2011, 04:30 AM
Having Parker post TD & Manu will do nothing for us but keep us at a mediocre level. Once those two leave, SA's best option is to rebuild from scratch. It's not like the system the Spurs run now could be effective without those two anyways. If we could get Nash for TP, I would do it. Steve would've done a hell of a lot better against Memphis than Parker did.

+1

If we traded TP for Nash, add RJ from us and Frye (massive upgrade over Bonner as Pop's spacing 4, makes nice contrast with Splitter's developing energy game) and Childress (pretty much direct swap of bad contract for bad contract, only ours is bigger) from them, I'd have to consider it carefully. I'd go Frye over Lopez as he's a better all-around fit (Lopez duplicates what we hope Splitter will do). And then if we can unload Bonner with the amnesty, all the better... or keep him for 2-bigman 3-pt shooting lineups in special situations... nah, just dump him! :lol

Thats TP+RJ for Nash+Frye+Childress. Risky, and only a 1-2yr window to do anything with it, but you'd have to consider it carefully.

If Nash goes anywhere it's going to be NY to play in Mike D's system.

Agreed.

Few people realize offense wasn't the problem. The offense got worse as the season wore on but the defense was a much bigger problem. Offense can work as a good defense but the Spurs slowed down their offense and didn't improve their defense. The reason the Spurs had so much success with the Suns is they would use Parker to run him ragged and then throw Bowen on him on defense. They wore him down on both offense and defense. When Bowen was no longer there the Suns swept the Spurs.

Yup, it was the D that let us down constantly last season. We had flashes in the middle of the season where we looked to be able to turn it up a couple of notches, but the elite defence I was hoping would materialise never did. Splitter is key to that, hope he develops - he has the tools, just needs to put it together with understanding rotations and generally reading the game, which is why I think Pop sat him a lot (he should have played anyway IMHO).

For one season, I'd do it in a heartbeat. But what happens after that? How much longer can Nash really play?

1-2 years. And what's the reality of the Legend of the Phoenix Medical Staff? Do they really work miracles for older players (eg. Nash, Hill), or is it just good luck?

TD has also lost a lot of lateral quickness. He's not the super-elite help or individual defender he once was. And he hasn't got Bruce on the perimeter. ;)

Poor Timmy, he's on the downside of his superb career. It feels a bit like David just before his final contract... :(

therealtruth
09-28-2011, 06:13 AM
If the Spurs are serious about getting better on defense I think they have to look at Shane Battier. He's probably the closest guy to Bowen in the league and his offense is slightly better as he has a post game. He's probably a better fit than Jefferson if Parker can't improve as a distributor.

I agree Splitter can help the defense. That's why alot of us were complaining during the season when he wasn't playing. We just didn't feel comfortable with the lack of defense from the Spurs. We knew it was going to catch up with them. Splitter draws alot of loose ball fouls, defends the pick and roll, rolls hard to the basket, and is good at challenging shots. I remember the second to last game we played the Suns during the first quarter the Suns were constantly getting to the rim and making shots. When Splitter got in they were still getting to the rim but started missing alot of those shots as they tried to adjust to Splitter's length. Now if you combine Splitter and Duncan's length it will make it much harder to get clean looks at the basket.

duhoh
09-28-2011, 11:58 PM
Duncan put up about the same numbers he did in the regular season and does not have the same opportunities Parker has in the offense. Nor did he have the supposed mismatch Parker had; therefore, the blame is on Parker.

I'm not blaming TD. I'm just pointing out that the 2 big fellas in Memphis did some serious damage compared to our lone franchise stud.

+1

TD has also lost a lot of lateral quickness. He's not the super-elite help or individual defender he once was. And he hasn't got Bruce on the perimeter. ;)

Poor Timmy, he's on the downside of his superb career. It feels a bit like David just before his final contract... :(

My thoughts exactly :depressed

joshdaboss
09-29-2011, 12:27 AM
I'm not blaming TD. I'm just pointing out that the 2 big fellas in Memphis did some serious damage compared to our lone franchise stud.

They were also getting the ball way more than Duncan was.