PDA

View Full Version : Lakers re-hire Phil Jackson

Ginofan
06-14-2005, 12:50 PM
Lakers re-hire Phil Jackson

By John Nadel, Associated Press
June 14, 2005

LOS ANGELES — Phil Jackson is returning to the Los Angeles Lakers following a reconciliation with the team that cut him loose last year after three NBA championships in five seasons.

Spokesman John Black said today the team has rehired Jackson, who was let go by owner Jerry Buss last June 18.

A news conference was set for 5 p.m. EDT at Staples Center.

Jackson, who turns 60 in September, has had health issues in the past and underwent an angioplasty two years ago. He told ABC-TV before the opening game of the NBA Finals that he underwent a series of tests to make sure he was healthy.

Jackson's dismissal a year ago set in motion a makeover of massive proportions that proved to be disastrous.

Dominant big man Shaquille O'Neal demanded a trade and superstar Kobe Bryant opted out of his contract to become a free agent the same day Jackson's five-year run as coach ended.

The futures of O'Neal and Bryant were decided the following month, with O'Neal being traded to Miami and Bryant staying with the Lakers.

Rudy Tomjanovich succeeded Jackson, signing a five-year, $30 million contract, but lasted barely half a season, citing health reasons when he suddenly resigned Feb. 2.

Jackson's name was mentioned as a possible replacement almost immediately despite his having written a book detailing the 2003-04 season in which he called Bryant uncoachable and made other disparaging remarks about the franchise.

With injuries playing a major role, the Lakers lost 19 of their last 21 games under interim coach Frank Hamblen to finish 34-48 and out of the playoffs for just the second time since 1976.

Jackson has coached nine NBA championship teams — six with the Chicago Bulls and in his first three years with the Lakers — from 2000-2002. That ties him with former Boston Celtics coach Red Auerbach for the most in league history.

Jackson also has a record 175 postseason victories and is tied for 10th on the NBA's all-time list with 830 wins in just 14 seasons — nine with the Bulls and five with the Lakers. He has a .723 regular-season winning percentage and a .717 postseason winning percentage.

The Lakers were 285-125 in the regular season and 68-28 in the postseason under Jackson. But this figures to be his biggest challenge since the current team doesn't appear to have what it takes to return to elite status any time soon.

The Lakers are well over the salary cap, restricting their ability to bring in high-priced free-agent talent for at least two years. Their defense was abysmal last season; they had an unbalanced roster with too many small forwards; they had virtually no inside presence on either end of the court; and they were suspect at point guard.

Jeanie Buss, the owner's daughter and the Lakers' executive vice president of business operations, publicly lobbied for months for the return of Jackson, her longtime boyfriend.

She finally got her wish.

Bryant's reaction to a return by Jackson has seemed lukewarm at best. Shortly after Tomjanovich's resignation, Bryant said he would "roll with it" if Jackson returned.

Two days after the season ended, Bryant said he didn't care who was hired as coach, adding he trusted the track record of Jerry Buss and general manager Mitch Kupchak.

"Whoever they bring in here, I'm going to be ready," Bryant said. "I'm just open to whoever they feel like is going to get the job done."

Buss said in early May he believed Jackson and Bryant could coexist.

"Oh, definitely. No question," Buss said. "These people want to win."

Ishta
06-14-2005, 12:57 PM
Who gives a flying fart????? Leave it to Jackoff Jackson to get some mention during the Finals...

mavsfan1000
06-14-2005, 12:58 PM
It looks like the Lakers are back to becoming a dynasty.:rolleyes

1Parker1
06-14-2005, 01:15 PM
Wow. Unreal. Why would Jackson go back after he wrote a book saying how Kobe was uncoachable? Horrible on his part, because no way LA is going to win a championship or get far with the roster they have now...which apparantly is there for 2 more years. I don't even think Pop could turn the current team around. Aside from Kobe and Lamar they literally have no one.

Horry For 3!
06-14-2005, 01:32 PM
They're talkin about that on ESPN right now.

ca®lo
06-14-2005, 02:15 PM
jackson can coach the lakers all he wants for all i care.

nba forum.

pooh
06-14-2005, 02:46 PM
Here's my question...everyone says (including myself) that Jackson has always went to a team that has serious potiental to make it to the finals, (IE Bulls/Lakers with Shaq/Kobe, etc) now he's back with the Lakers, who are essentially a lottery team now, with only Kobe as they lone shinning star, what do fans think now if he puts this team back together in a few years?

Vashner
06-14-2005, 04:01 PM
Well it's a good coach.. the best record wise so it's a no brainer. I hope he does not win more rings of course.

At least Spurs lakers games will be more fun again just to watch Phil Squrim and bring out some old ASTERISK THIS PHIL signs...

baseline bum
06-14-2005, 05:22 PM
I think Phil Jackson is an underrated coach. If they don't get at least the 6-seed next year I'd be shocked.

rr2418
06-14-2005, 05:44 PM
Who gives a flying fart????? Leave it to Jackoff Jackson to get some mention during the Finals...

I think even ESPN said they had to "spice up" the NBA finals some what, and that ment mentioning the Lakers or Phil Jackson. With only Kobe to start with, it's going to be interesting to see how good Jackson is!

Clandestino
06-14-2005, 07:21 PM
i can't wait to see jax have a losing season... him and kobe fighting, etc...

ALVAREZ6
06-14-2005, 07:28 PM
Screw Jackson...This makes me look forward to playing the fakers even more...

MaNuMaNiAc
06-14-2005, 08:04 PM
AND THEY SAY MONEY DOESN'T MAKE A DIFFERENCE! :lmao

Sportcamper
06-15-2005, 08:58 AM
http://www.nba.com/media/lakers/jackson_050614.jpg
"($10,000,000) Check, please."

Vashner
06-16-2005, 02:09 PM
I think he had enough cash to already live any lifestyle he wanted to...

But yea 10 million.. that's bout 4-5 million after taxes...

But if anything he did it for the media attention, healines and camera's on him.

3rdCoast
06-16-2005, 06:33 PM
i hate the lakers.

mavsfan1000
06-16-2005, 06:52 PM
I hate the heat but I used to hate the Lakers.