PDA

View Full Version : Good for him!

Yonivore
09-22-2011, 04:05 PM
http://htmlimg3.scribdassets.com/79u5knt91c150tao/images/1-c5c341bdb2.jpg

TDCJ Responds...

“I believe Senator Whitmire’s concerns regarding the practice of allowing death row offenders to choose their last meal are valid. Effective immediately, no such accommodations will be made. They will receive the same meal served to other offenders on the unit.”
Good call.

boutons_deux
09-22-2011, 04:25 PM
yes, another ratshit item dragged in by our ratshit collector extraordinaire.

baseline bum
09-22-2011, 04:32 PM
I never understood the last meal practice.

ChumpDumper
09-22-2011, 04:34 PM
I never understood the last meal practice.Makes killing folk more interesting.

Spurminator
09-22-2011, 05:00 PM
I never understood the last meal practice.

Probably to offset some shred of guilt people once had about the state putting human beings to death.

FromWayDowntown
09-22-2011, 10:19 PM
I have no problem with the policy change and never did really understand the last meal thing to be anything other than a colorful means of placating the conscience (as others have said).

What bothers me about Senator Whitmire's letter is how poorly it's written. You'd think he could at least hire someone to check his grammar:

"It is extremely inappropriate to give a person sentenced to death such a privilege. One which the perpetrator did not provide to their victim."

Really?

George Gervin's Afro
09-23-2011, 08:19 AM
I have no problem with the policy change and never did really understand the last meal thing to be anything other than a colorful means of placating the conscience (as others have said).

What bothers me about Senator Whitmire's letter is how poorly it's written. You'd think he could at least hire someone to check his grammar:

"It is extremely inappropriate to give a person sentenced to death such a privilege. One which the perpetrator did not provide to their victim."

Really?

He's a Texan... they don't care much in these parts about smart folk..they just want you to be a red team cheerleader..

boutons_deux
09-23-2011, 08:23 AM
Illiteracy and inarticulateness are political advantages in red states. "I vote fer him, he's dumb like me."

The faulty grammar, sentences, constructions are betray ignorance and faulty thinking.

ManuBalboa
09-23-2011, 09:40 AM
Illiteracy and inarticulateness are political advantages in red states. "I vote fer him, he's dumb like me."

The faulty grammar, sentences, constructions are betray ignorance and faulty thinking.

No. Educated people still want you to stay the fuck out of their pockets.

Crookshanks
09-23-2011, 10:32 AM

Hmmm - going by boutons statement, and then looking at his third sentence leads me to believe he must be a closet "red-stater." Maybe you should think twice about calling people dumb.

scott
09-23-2011, 10:45 AM
I hear when you're later exonerated by DNA Evidence, Rick Perry prays for his special meal angels to visit you in heaven with a T-bone steak.

Viva Las Espuelas
09-23-2011, 11:05 AM
It'd certainly make the pathologist's job less messy.

Oh, Gee!!
09-23-2011, 04:12 PM
think of all the money it will save us taxpayers: at least $50, if not $100, anually.

ElNono
09-23-2011, 05:06 PM
think of all the money it will save us taxpayers: at least $50, if not $100, anually.

If they pay $16 per muffin, I don't want to know what they pay for steak!

DMX7
09-23-2011, 05:20 PM

At the rate we're executing people, it'll probably save a lot more than that.

Great to see that these are the type of critical issues our state senators are dealing with though. Very comforting.

Yonivore
09-23-2011, 10:19 PM
It'll be a bit less insult to the victims' families to know the fucktard that ruined their lives and ended the life of their loved one isn't coddled by the state.

ElNono
09-23-2011, 10:42 PM
It'll be a bit less insult to the victims' families to know the fucktard that ruined their lives and ended the life of their loved one isn't coddled by the state.

I don't think it matters to them if the end result is death, tbh.

Nbadan
09-23-2011, 11:50 PM
Last rites are based on tradition...

The ancient Greeks, Chinese, and Romans all traditionally gave the condemned man a final meal. The Aztecs fed their human sacrifices for up to a year before killing them.

In pre-modern Europe, granting the condemned a last meal has roots in superstition: a meal was a highly symbolic social act. Accepting freely offered food symbolized making peace with the host. The guest agreed tacitly to take an oath of truce and symbolically abjured all vengeance. Consequentially, in accepting the last meal the condemned was believed to forgive the executioner, the judge, and witness(es). The ritual was supposed to prevent the condemned from returning as a ghost or revenant to haunt those responsible for their killing. As a superstitious precaution, the better the food and drink, the safer the condemned's oath of truce. Last meals were often public, and all parties involved in the penal process took part.[citation needed]

There were practical side effects of a peaceful last meal as well. It was crucial for the authorities that a public execution was a successful spectacle.[citation needed] In the eyes of the contemporaries the violated law could only be restored by mirroring the crime via retaliative penalties (see lex talionis). However, if the mob believed something was wrong or the chief character of the show was reluctant to play their role, things could get out of hand and place the malefactor's guilt in doubt. Hence it was important for authorities that the condemned met their fate calmly.[citation needed] Apart from having been constantly coerced since the death sentence, the condemned's solemn last meal symbolized that they accepted the punishment.[citation needed] Additionally, prisoners were often served large quantities of alcoholic beverages to soothe them and bar them from execrating the authorities while ascending the scaffold.[citation needed] In Ancient Japan, samurai warriors would sometimes commit seppuku (ritual suicide) for a variety of reasons. Before the suicide, the Samurai would be served their favorite foods.[citation needed]

Wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Last_meal)

You are messing with things you know nothing about....

Yonivore
09-24-2011, 05:58 AM
I don't think it matters to them if the end result is death, tbh.
I said, a little less insult.

But, it absolutely matters when, such as the case of James Byrd, you know your loved one was not afford any decency whatsoever by the scumbag about to be executed. In fact, I would suspect more than a few would like for their loved one's murderer to be treated as the victim was and, in this case, it wouldn't be by serving him whatever he asked for a last mean...it would involve a chain, a pickup truck, and about 3 miles of road.

It's an insult to the memory of the victim to know the murderer is being coddled and catered.

Oh, Gee!!
09-24-2011, 02:12 PM

coddling=being locked in 10 x 10 room 23 hours daily, executed, and getting one pizza day.

Oh, Gee!!
09-24-2011, 02:14 PM

But, it absolutely matters when, such as the case of James Byrd, you know your loved one was not afford any decency whatsoever by the scumbag about to be executed. In fact, I would suspect more than a few would like for their loved one's murderer to be treated as the victim was and, in this case, it wouldn't be by serving him whatever he asked for a last mean...it would involve a chain, a pickup truck, and about 3 miles of road.

It's an insult to the memory of the victim to know the murderer is being coddled and catered.

you don't know what coddled or catered means, or you've never been inside a prison. TDC does not coddle anybody ever. Getting fajitas on the day you die is not being coddled.

ElNono
09-24-2011, 02:39 PM

But, it absolutely matters when, such as the case of James Byrd, you know your loved one was not afford any decency whatsoever by the scumbag about to be executed.

Disagree. Doesn't matter at all. He's getting the injection. The rest is the process to get there.

Proxy
09-24-2011, 05:44 PM

You have the mentality of a child.

LnGrrrR
09-24-2011, 05:55 PM
I think they should keep the last meal... Just make it so that if an inmate orders a ton of food, they get denied. Seems a bit of an overreaction. I think the whole "last meal" is a small bit of freedom allowed to those about to die.

Yonivore
09-24-2011, 06:09 PM
I think they should keep the last meal... Just make it so that if an inmate orders a ton of food, they get denied. Seems a bit of an overreaction. I think the whole "last meal" is a small bit of freedom allowed to those about to die.
They deserve none, small or otherwise.

Yonivore
09-24-2011, 06:15 PM
I hope the next few condemned prisoners curse Brewer on the gurney for having shit on a shingle as their last meal and then drag his ass behind Satan's truck when they get to Hell.