PDA

View Full Version : Kwame Brown

swaggerjackson
09-22-2011, 09:02 PM
I keep looking for some way for the Spurs the land some big name starting center that will anchor the defense and help put us back on top. But in reality that probably won't happen. We will most likely just put a band aide on the frontline to get through next season. Some say Aaron Gray and I am not hating on that idea, but what about Kwame Brown. He could certainly be a decent backup. He has the size and mobility to rebound, defend, and block shots. And he fits our budget. What do you guys think?

chazley
09-23-2011, 04:04 AM
You're gonna get alot of shit... but I wouldn't mind having Kwame in a 10-15 minute role. The problem is, it doesn't solve our starting 5 problem.

will_spurs
09-23-2011, 04:05 AM
What about Darko Milicic? :rolleyes

benefactor
09-23-2011, 05:22 AM
Not even the lockout can stop the gnsf.

TimDunkem
09-23-2011, 08:14 AM
Why not? He outplayed Duncan in half of their meetings last season.

The ADMIRAL 50
09-23-2011, 01:21 PM
I would rather start kwame than bonnet tbh

Drewlius
09-23-2011, 01:44 PM
Trade for Dalembert

Anonymous Cowherd
09-23-2011, 02:21 PM
Kwame Brown will probably get taken by one of the teams who are after Dalembert but don't get him (maybe Miami or Boston). We might have a shot at him but I'd be surprised.

FkLA
09-23-2011, 03:48 PM

Darko has turned into a very decent player, actually. Nigga has great size, can block/alter shots and has a pretty good post-game. I would be ecstatic if we somehow landed him. Niggas here want KLove but if I could choose a Minny bigman I would take Darko.

jag
09-23-2011, 04:49 PM

Darko has actually been doing well.

Kwame on the other hand is shit.

Dex
09-23-2011, 04:52 PM
Can't we just bring Mengke Bateer back from China?

TD 21
09-23-2011, 05:42 PM
Brown is essentially a poor man's Perkins. But while he's a good post defender and a solid rebounder, he's not a shot blocker. He also lacks the mobility to defend power forwards and has no offensive game whatsoever, which means he's not a fit on the Spurs, who have made it abundantly clear that they view Duncan and Splitter as their centers. He'll probably either sign with the Celtics or re-sign with the Bobcats.

Spursfan092120
09-23-2011, 05:59 PM
Nigga has great size, can block/alter shots and has a pretty good post-game. I would be ecstatic if we somehow landed him. Niggas here want KLove but if I could choose a Minny bigman I would take Darko.

Where'd this come from?

Cane
09-23-2011, 06:22 PM
Where'd this come from?

Staple of Spurstalk

Anonymous Cowherd
09-24-2011, 04:14 AM
Brown is essentially a poor man's Perkins. But while he's a good post defender and a solid rebounder, he's not a shot blocker. He also lacks the mobility to defend power forwards and has no offensive game whatsoever, which means he's not a fit on the Spurs, who have made it abundantly clear that they view Duncan and Splitter as their centers. He'll probably either sign with the Celtics or re-sign with the Bobcats.

Yeah - he's more liked on the East Coast because he's seen as someone who can (limitedly) defend against Dwight.

But I think the Bobcats are full into a renewal and will let him go, especially as they've now got Biyombo.

TD 21
09-24-2011, 03:29 PM
Yeah - he's more liked on the East Coast because he's seen as someone who can (limitedly) defend against Dwight.

But I think the Bobcats are full into a renewal and will let him go, especially as they've now got Biyombo.

He'd likely be just as useful against Bynum.

It's not like Biyombo's going to come in and play 35 mpg. If Brown re-signed, he'd be the starter and play the bulk of the minutes.

And the Celtics obviously need a center, but they won't have the cap space to legitimately bid on Nene, Chandler, Dalembert, Gasol or Jordan.

MR.SILVER&BLack
09-24-2011, 03:53 PM
spurs dont need a center. Tim & splitter are the centers. the spurs need a Starter quiality PF. you can sign kwame buts its not gonna effect bonners minutes. Sign a PF that can give 30+ quality mins biggest problem fixed. bonners minutes. Blair will play backup for 10-12 mins and bonner becomes the 5th big playing 5 mins a game.

ChuckD
09-24-2011, 09:44 PM
Kwame's big attributes are post defense and rebounding, but really, how many good post up scorers are there in the league anymore? Not enough to force the Spurs into playing 4 on 5 on offense.

DMC
09-24-2011, 10:11 PM
Kwame's big attributes are post defense and rebounding, but really, how many good post up scorers are there in the league anymore? Not enough to force the Spurs into playing 4 on 5 on offense.
Aren't they doing that anyhow with Blair?

The NBA is going to get back to a big man anchoring on both ends. That's been proven to work many many times. The problem will be finding quality big men. There's no new Shaq running around out there that I'm aware of and it's so bad that Howard is considered the most dominant center in the league.

But I agree that Darko would be better than Killme Brown.

ChuckD
09-25-2011, 12:09 AM
Aren't they doing that anyhow with Blair?

The NBA is going to get back to a big man anchoring on both ends. That's been proven to work many many times. The problem will be finding quality big men. There's no new Shaq running around out there that I'm aware of and it's so bad that Howard is considered the most dominant center in the league.

But I agree that Darko would be better than Killme Brown.

Blair can't get his own shot, but is a VERY effective P'n'R finisher. He also draws a lot of fouls. Kwame has no discernible offensive skill. It would truly be 4 on 5.

DMC
09-25-2011, 12:36 AM
Blair can't get his own shot, but is a VERY effective P'n'R finisher. He also draws a lot of fouls. Kwame has no discernible offensive skill. It would truly be 4 on 5.
Although I disagree with your use of "truly" as if there's any other "4 on 5" than truly 4 on 5, I will only point out that 4 on 5 is a regular occurrence on teams with a high level offensive player, as he draws the double team. It's common that one of the remaining four players is not an offensive threat. On the flip side, you have 4 on 5 at the other end when Matt "Traffic Cone" Bonner is on the floor. So you either give up points on offense or you give them up on defense. Take your pick. I prefer a strong defense over a strong offense.

ChuckD
09-25-2011, 08:28 AM
Although I disagree with your use of "truly" as if there's any other "4 on 5" than truly 4 on 5, I will only point out that 4 on 5 is a regular occurrence on teams with a high level offensive player, as he draws the double team. It's common that one of the remaining four players is not an offensive threat. On the flip side, you have 4 on 5 at the other end when Matt "Traffic Cone" Bonner is on the floor. So you either give up points on offense or you give them up on defense. Take your pick. I prefer a strong defense over a strong offense.

I do, too, but we no longer have the personnel, and adding Kwame won't improve that, since he's strictly a post defender, not particularly good at the P'n'R and no shotblocker. Our teams going forward will look a lot like last year.

xellos88330
09-25-2011, 10:55 AM
I would take him. Then we can trade him in the middle of the season for an All-Star big man!

xellos88330
09-25-2011, 10:57 AM
On a serious note. I think he could help, but not by much. I would have to actually watch him play again. It has been a while.

DMC
09-25-2011, 11:26 AM
I do, too, but we no longer have the personnel, and adding Kwame won't improve that, since he's strictly a post defender, not particularly good at the P'n'R and no shotblocker. Our teams going forward will look a lot like last year.

So what you are saying is that you are wanting the Spurs to acquiesce to being an offense first team, because we no longer have the personnel to warrant a defensive strategy?

We might not have the personnel, but that's not the point of my rebuttal. We are giving up a 5 on 4 on one end, and you are concerned that it will flip. I prefer to get stops. So if we get a good defensive big that cannot shoot, I will take that over a good shooter who cannot defend.

I don't want Kwame Brown but not for the reasons you stated. I just think he's not worth a damn.

ChuckD
09-25-2011, 02:55 PM
So what you are saying is that you are wanting the Spurs to acquiesce to being an offense first team, because we no longer have the personnel to warrant a defensive strategy?

We might not have the personnel, but that's not the point of my rebuttal. We are giving up a 5 on 4 on one end, and you are concerned that it will flip. I prefer to get stops. So if we get a good defensive big that cannot shoot, I will take that over a good shooter who cannot defend.

I don't want Kwame Brown but not for the reasons you stated. I just think he's not worth a damn.

I'm not arguing with you on that point. I'm just staying on thread topic, and Kwame isn't that big you speak of. That player also won't come cheap. I'm also not "concerned it will flip". I'm just concerned that a flip the other way won't make the team any better. We got by with sketchy offensive players in the past because Tim was so dominant as a scorer. Now, really none of our players are good enough for us to overcome one offensive liability.