PDA

View Full Version : Rasheed

Dre_7
06-14-2005, 02:21 PM
Does Sheed always have to cuss in EVERY single interview??

:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Marklar MM
06-14-2005, 02:29 PM
he likes to get his point across. :)

nkdlunch
06-14-2005, 02:32 PM
He be a thug from the streets dawg...

ladiesman
06-14-2005, 02:47 PM
0-6. That is Rasheed's playoff record against the Spurs.... Maybe that is the reason....

JamStone
06-14-2005, 02:49 PM
If Rasheed is on your team, you love him. If he's not, you think he's a thug, a whiner, a miscreant. I've liked Rasheed since his UNC days. And, I think he's one of the more real players in the league. If cursing makes you a bad person, then a lot more of us would be bad people. I understand he a public figure who is seen by millions of children and should be more of a role model. But, personally, I like the fact that he's real when he talks to reporters. He doesn't b.s. his way with niceties and all the p.c. formalities that many other players have been accustomed to coform to. I understand not liking the guy in certain respects. But, if he were on your team, would you really bag on him? If Bruce Bowen played for the Lakers, would you still respect him?

It's all a circumstantial thing when fans like or dislike or even hate a player. Think abouit it.

WayDowntownBang
06-14-2005, 02:50 PM
You have to admit, the guy's got heart.

Cant_Be_Faded
06-14-2005, 02:51 PM
heart he has, but thug he is not

Rasheed has the best Tattoo in the nba as well, by FAR. It totally owns Duncan's tat.

Jimcs50
06-14-2005, 02:51 PM
How can you root for this guy, even a Pistons' fan?

He is a total asshole, if he were on the Spurs, I would root against him.

Anybody who roots for him is a total asshole himself.

Marklar MM
06-14-2005, 02:52 PM
Why is he an asshole. Because he has a chip on his shoulder against reporters.

samikeyp
06-14-2005, 02:52 PM
you can take the rat from the 'hood but not the 'hood from the rat.

ladiesman
06-14-2005, 02:54 PM
Portland fans use to say the same thing.... He's got heart, he speaks his mind.. blah blah blah.... He is a thug. Plain and simple. If they win, he loves to talk to the media, but if they loose, is shit this, fuck that...

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
06-14-2005, 02:54 PM

Maybe b/c he helps the team we root for win?? :spin

Jimcs50
06-14-2005, 02:56 PM
Maybe b/c he helps the team we root for win?? :spin

Satan could give you riches, do you want to worship him because of that?

One must have standards, a code to live by, if you don't then you are an asshole, and I feel sorry for you.

Jimcs50
06-14-2005, 02:57 PM
Dean Smith must be rolling over in his grave over this jerk.(I know he is alive, but you get my point)

ALVAREZ6
You have to admit, the guy's got heart.
Manu has heart, TP has heart, TD has heart....do they curse in every interview?

WayDowntownBang

That's quite possibly the most ignorant thing I've ever seen posted on a messageboard.

I'm an asshole because I cheer for a basketball player. Way to go, Jim.

kskonn
It seems to have gotten better since he left the potland gangbangers but he used to be a real big asshole. Sports illustrated ran a story about portland and how the fans where turning on them . Rasheed was known for telling kids that he would not sign autographs unless they had a black sharpie. He actually would turn kids away at charity events. The article was demonstrating what a change steve smith was for the trail blazers and how all of the other players could learn from him.

WayDowntownBang
Manu has heart, TP has heart, TD has heart....do they curse in every interview?

&$%# no.

nkdlunch
06-14-2005, 02:58 PM
I don't think he's an asshole. I think he's actually a gooddy goddy guy, he just has some disorder where he can't control his emotions. He's like a baby in a grown man's body.

WayDowntownBang
06-14-2005, 02:58 PM
It seems to have gotten better since he left the potland gangbangers but he used to be a real big asshole. Sports illustrated ran a story about portland and how the fans where turning on them . Rasheed was known for telling kids that he would not sign autographs unless they had a black sharpie. He actually would turn kids away at charity events. The article was demonstrating what a change steve smith was for the trail blazers and how all of the other players could learn from him.

Rasheed is one of the biggest charity contibutors in Detroit. Be careful not to believe everything you read.

Jimcs50
06-14-2005, 02:59 PM
That's quite possibly the most ignorant thing I've ever seen posted on a messageboard.

I'm an asshole because I cheer for a basketball player. Way to go, Jim.

I call em as I see him.

Only assholes root for assholes.

How else do you explain it???

Can you actually tell you boy(if you have one) to root for this guy????

Are you not embarrassed when he acts the way he does???

My son asked, what is wrong with him?

I had no explanation for him....I was embarrrassed, quite frankly.

06-14-2005, 03:00 PM
Satan could give you riches, do you want to worship him because of that?

One must have standards, a code to live by, if you don't then you are an asshole, and I feel sorry for you.

Are you being serious? Standards watching professional sports nowadays? That is laughable.

How does living by a code correlate to watching/rooting for a professional sports team?

I'm sure you rooted for Rodman to fail even though he was a Spur. Please...

Marklar MM
06-14-2005, 03:01 PM
As I have said, ever since his college days, Sheed has had an issue with reporters. He doesn't like them. As said by bang, he donates to charities, and helps with the community. He is an avid art collector...I think his favorite class was art. He is a family man.

nkdlunch
06-14-2005, 03:01 PM
Are you being serious? Standards watching professional sports nowadays? That is laughable.

How does living by a code correlate to watching/rooting for a professional sports team?

I'm sure you rooted for Rodman to fail even though he was a Spur. Please...

Welcome to the Spurs Fan Board.

kskonn
06-14-2005, 03:02 PM
Rasheed is one of the biggest charity contibutors in Detroit. Be careful not to believe everything you read.

I know for a fact that stuff happened in Portland( my aunt lives there), and that is why I started the paragraph with , I think it has gotten better since he moved to detroit. He was around a bunch of very bad influences in portland. I have no doubt he is probably a nice guy in person.

I can't talk about his interviews, I used to love rodman when he played for the spurs and he cussed in his interviews, so I do not want to be a hipicrit and say rasheed is any different.

boutons
06-14-2005, 03:03 PM
"has some disorder where he can't control his emotions"

Clinically, it's called ... TERMINAL INFANTILISM

cmc$purs
06-14-2005, 03:03 PM
:smokin :cry :baby

nkdlunch
06-14-2005, 03:04 PM
:smokin :cry :baby

That's my boy, Rasheed!

Jimcs50
06-14-2005, 03:06 PM
Did you see him not take the ball from the ref in the last game and he just made the ref lay the ball down. Had the ref not started counting to 5, Sheed would have gotten a 5 sec call against him or a backcourt violation.

This is just another example of him being a total asshole and an embarrassment to the NBA.

ALVAREZ6
06-14-2005, 03:08 PM
&$%# no.
&$%# yes.

Jimcs50
06-14-2005, 03:08 PM
Yes, you can have standards in watching sports.

You can refuse to buy jerseys with assholes' numbers on them, you can not cheer for him, you can root for the good guys in the league.

JamStone
06-14-2005, 03:12 PM

Rasheed was given a very bad rep in Portland. Some of it, I'm sure was deserved. And, I don't claim to know everything that has gone on between Rasheed and reporters. But, I do know that after a while, Rasheed made it a point not to talk to reporters in Portland, and the media bashed him there, to a point, somenot completely true stories were written about him. Rasheed had hit the point where he didn't care what reporters wrote about him, whether it was true or false.

Rasheed has fared much better in Detroit with respect to having at least a cordial relationship with local media. However, he still doesn't open himself up too much with in-depth or personal interviews. It has been reported that Rasheed is one of the most active NBA players in terms of helping and contributing to the community. His foundations still do plenty of things in Portland, Philadelphia, and Detroit. It's often not reported on a national level because of his poor reputation with the media. But, I find it hard to believe that Rasheed would go around denying kids autographs on a regular basis. But, again, I don't know everything.

And, that goes for all of you too. Unless any of you who post here actually have had a personal relationship with Rasheed Wallace, how can you go around calling the guy an asshole because he complains about officiating or he cusses in interviews? That's one of the more superficial and misconstrued assertions I've heard in a while. Do those of you who think Rasheed is an asshole based on that also believe Brad Pitt is an assassin in real life because he was in the movie Mr. & Mrs. Smith.

You don't know the guy any more than those of us fans who cheer him on and like him.

Perhaps you don't like how he plays or that he whines to refs or that he curses on national t.v. Does that warrant a classification of "asshole?" If it does to you, that's really, really silly.

06-14-2005, 03:12 PM
Yes, you can have standards in watching sports.

You can refuse to buy jerseys with assholes' numbers on them, you can not cheer for him, you can root for the good guys in the league.

Like Kobe Bryant before Colorado? You don't know the players, no fan does.

Don't equate what happens on the court to what kind of person Rasheed is. Or any player for that matter...

Dre_7
06-14-2005, 03:14 PM
Wow. I never said he was a bad person. I was just laughing at the fact that he cusses in every interview. He is a jerk on the court and to the media. But I never said that it made him a bad person off the court. Im not the one to judge. I was just pointing that out. It seems as hes very frustrated. Things arnt as easy for you now, huh Mr Wallace? I mean now that you have to go up against the greatest PF ever!!

nkdlunch
06-14-2005, 03:15 PM
Like Kobe Bryant before Colorado? You don't know the players, no fan does.

Don't equate what happens on the court to what kind of person Rasheed is. Or any player for that matter...

exactly, you don't know the guy, that's the point. So if all you know about him is how he behaves in front of the cameras, and if he behaves like a big baby there all the time, then I'm gonna call him a big baby.

06-14-2005, 03:18 PM
exactly, you don't know the guy, that's the point. So if all you know about him is how he behaves in front of the cameras, and if he behaves like a big baby there all the time, then I'm gonna call him a big baby.

Nothing wrong with saying that. But it's a bit of a stretch to say he is an asshole and we are assholes for hoping he does well.

spur219
06-14-2005, 03:24 PM
When he cusses though it's like if he is cussing in his job. What would they do to you if you would cuss at your job with people around. Atleast a written report.

MadDog73
06-14-2005, 03:32 PM

Jim, that's just dumb. No one is perfect.

As for you being embaressed by your kid watching Rasheed, imagine how you'd feel if he read you calling people you don't know "assholes".

Hypocrite, pure and simple.

samikeyp
06-14-2005, 03:34 PM
As for you being embaressed by your kid watching Rasheed, imagine how you'd feel if he read you calling people you don't know "assholes".

that is when a parent steps in and tells the kid that is NOT how you act.

WayDowntownBang
06-14-2005, 03:38 PM
Jim, that's just dumb. No one is perfect.

Hypocrite, pure and simple.

Took the words out of my mouth. I was going to go on a huge rant about using profanity on a board full of kids, while trying to 'protect' his own kids, but it seems you hit the nail on the head. It probably means more to him coming from a fellow Spurs fan, as opposed to one of those 'assholes' like me.

By the way, I'm a huge Tim Duncan fan. Does that cancel the 'asshole' in me out?

samikeyp
06-14-2005, 03:39 PM
there are really not as many kids here as you might think.

JamStone
06-14-2005, 03:40 PM
When he cusses though it's like if he is cussing in his job. What would they do to you if you would cuss at your job with people around. Atleast a written report.

So is Gregg Popovich an asshole too? He sure seems to cuss a lot while he's at his job too? I've even caught Tim Duncan curse on the court before.

Think first before you post.

Being a professional basketball player in no way is like a regular job most of us on these messageboards have. How many of you have jobs where reporters are interviewing you in a locker room right after you've taken a shower, won or lost a game, and you're half-naked? How many of you have jobs in which after you did a poor job there are 30 strangers surrounding you in a small area with microphones and cameras all up in your face?

Please don't compare playing basketball with regular jobs. Next, you'll be saying rappers like 50 cent Snoop Dogg should wear two piece suits when they perform at concerts because it's "their job."

TwoHandJam
06-14-2005, 03:57 PM
If someone paid me millions of dollars to play a game I loved but asked that I try and be civil when speaking to the press no matter the situation, I think I would do it.

Flying off the handle at the press makes you and your team look foolish. Flying off the handle at officials is even more costly, a lesson Rasheed has not yet learned.

spurs_fan_in_exile
06-14-2005, 04:12 PM
Rasheed may not be a bad person, but he needs to grow up. Can we all agree on that?

He complains that the media doesn't respect the Pistons and then he turns around and shits all over them with his little, "I can't be bothered, I'm playing PSP" garbage. He can't have it both ways. You want the media to respect you you can't just treat them like a disease. Pop hates the media, that's no damn secret, but when was the last time he cussed at a reporter? Hell, the worst he ever did was glare at Peter Vescey and give him a pointed answer to his question back in 2003.

I don't dislike Rasheed because he's not a good role model, I dislike him because I look at the amazing talent that he has and how much better he could be if he could calm the hell down every now and then. Emotion can be a powerful vehicle, like a rocket, but if you don't do things right it's just going to make you blow up on the launch pad, instead of getting you to the moon. I guess dislike isn't even the word, just disapointed really.

spur219
06-14-2005, 04:14 PM
Yup Rasheed needs to grow up.

bigbendbruisebrother
06-14-2005, 04:19 PM
Why is he an asshole. Because he has a chip on his shoulder against reporters.

Hey, let's not forget the other chip (the refs).

It's too bad they took away his grass. It probably helped him mellow out.

But I disagree with some of my fellow Spurs fans on one point--he's not a bully or a thug on court. He's not Danny Fortson, Jerome James or Eduardo Najera out there trying to injure anyone (although, I haven't put it past the Pistons to try something like that to stop Manu). He's nuts to be sure and his mental instability is a liablity to his team (as it was with the jailblazers before), but so far, he's not a thug.

JamStone
06-14-2005, 04:21 PM
Would it be better if Rasheed grew up? Absolutely yes.

Would it be less entertaining if he did so? Yes also.

I don't mind it. And, with all due respect to you Spurs fans who have a problem with him ... Rasheed is a multi-million dollar athlete who plays basketball for a living, for an owner, president, coach, teammates and city who support him even with his attitude "issues." Oh, and he's also in the NBA finals. He technically DOES NOT need to grow up. If I were him, I'd probably say and do whatever I wanted too.

Conformity sucks. Professionalism is boring. Respect is overrated.

Some of you guys sound like missionaries trying to convert Rasheed to "your religion." If you don't like him, you don't like him. But, he's just going to keep being Rasheed. Is it really that big of a deal? I guess since the Spurs are kicking our ass, there isn't much else to complain about as a Spurs fan, so some of you feel compelled to dish out trash on Rasheed.

bigbendbruisebrother
06-14-2005, 04:28 PM
He complains that the media doesn't respect the Pistons and then he turns around and shits all over them with his little, "I can't be bothered, I'm playing PSP" garbage. He can't have it both ways.

When you make as much money as NBA players do, it seems to me you have to take all of the bullshit that comes with it even if you can't stand it. I'm sure that dealing with the media is a pain in the ass. Knowing that the officials are going to make calls that you don't agree with must suck too. But it goes with the territory.

I think the Spurs do a good job of this. Our players aren't out there pimping themselves to the media, and if a reporter asks a stupid question, they might get a smartass reply, but they're not going to go jerk off in a corner until their time is up. Similarly, the Spurs handle the officiating well. Pop does all the talking that needs to happen when it happens--not in the media.

Rasheed needs to STFU, and play the game--literally.

On second thought, don't go changin' Rasheed. At least not until the Spurs are finished dethroning your team.

bigbendbruisebrother
06-14-2005, 04:30 PM
Some of you guys sound like missionaries trying to convert Rasheed to "your religion."

No, we're just calling him an asshole, straight out. I hope he doesn't change, because he's making the Spurs job easier.

Jimcs50
06-14-2005, 05:03 PM
I am not calling you an asshole....I do not know you...but if you worship assholes, then you have some problems, IMO.

I apologize for the perceived name calling on my part.

:)

06-14-2005, 05:06 PM
I am not calling you an asshole....I do not know you...but if you worship assholes, then you have some problems, IMO.

I apologize for the perceived name calling on my part.

Don't worry, no offense taken.

BTW, if anyone worships anything other than their religion(church of Manu does not count), then they have problems...

geerussell
06-14-2005, 05:18 PM
The pistons wouldn't be defending a title right now if they hadn't gotten Sheed. That's the kind of "liability" I can live with.

He's not perfect by any stretch. He cries too much about the refs and gets emotional to the point of distraction sometimes on the court. He also weaves across the line between unselfish and underachieving sometimes. Calling him a "thug" based on that is just ignorant. There's nothing thuggish about his conduct on the court or his lifestyle off of it.

I could care less whether he drops an occasional bomb in an interview. The media has two good options: a) Edit it out. They edit comments for brevity and interest anyway, they can edit any words they deem unacceptable. b) Get the mic out of his face. They decide who they want to get comments from, there's a reason you don't see endless runs of Darvin Ham's take on the series.

Jimcs50
06-14-2005, 05:20 PM
Don't worry, no offense taken.

BTW, if anyone worships anything other than their religion(church of Manu does not count), then they have problems...

I worship Eva Longoria, Jennifer Love Hewitt, Paz Vega and Jessica Alba....is that wrong?

combs84
06-14-2005, 05:22 PM
I worship Eva Longoria, Jennifer Love Hewitt, Paz Vega and Jessica Alba....is that wrong?

Nope, looks good to me.