PDA

View Full Version : Viewership of The Finals

LilMissSPURfect
06-14-2005, 04:17 PM
[sorry if a double post]

for all those raggin about the ratings......

http://www.nba.com/finals2005/manu_record2005v2.html

Spurs Manu Ginobili Drives Record Global Viewership of The Finals
DETROIT, Mich., June 14 – San Antonio Spurs guard Manu Ginobili’s stellar performance in The Finals is driving record global audiences as Game 2 between the Spurs and Detroit Pistons drew an estimated 115 million viewers. Game 2’s record audience follows the more than 105 million viewers estimated to have tuned in for Game 1.

In Argentina, Ginobili’s home country, The Finals have attracted an estimated 4.25 million viewers through the first two games. In the United States, Game 2 of The Finals on ABC was the most watched program on Sunday, with 10.67 million viewers.

With 205 countries televising The Finals and a record seven international players competing for the Larry O’Brien Championship Trophy, the games are also drawing record audiences in other countries. An estimated 50 million viewers in China watched Game 1 and Game 2, more than double the number of viewers tuning in for Games 1 and 2 of the 2004 NBA Finals.

GhostofAlfrederickHughes
06-14-2005, 04:20 PM
Does this mean we can look forward to Esteban A. Smith, Humberto Brown, and Weng-Zho Walton in the coming years????

:lol

SpursWoman
06-14-2005, 04:24 PM
Does this mean we can look forward to Esteban A. Smith, Humberto Brown, and Weng-Zho Walton in the coming years????

:lmao

violentkitten
06-14-2005, 04:25 PM
just win, baby.

Xolotl
06-14-2005, 04:25 PM
Wow good find Miss

ShoogarBear
06-14-2005, 04:30 PM
"That play was TELLIBLE! It was HOLLIBLE!"

Spurminator
06-14-2005, 04:32 PM
My household had a 100 share.

Xolotl
06-14-2005, 04:32 PM

:lol that just reminded me of the South Park episode with Chimpokomon.

boutons
06-14-2005, 04:34 PM
This type of coverage should give Manu some overseas endorsement contracts, then he can buy the Spurs and move them to Bahia Blanca. :)

picnroll
06-14-2005, 04:36 PM
Wonder how many Argentinian viewers there are for an important soccer game.

Solid D
06-14-2005, 04:37 PM
This is the data we, in this Forum, have been wanting to see for 2 or 3 years (since 2003 Finals).

It has been my contention (and several others here) that the viewership of the Finals should be rated based on worldwide audience and not just National audience numbers. It only makes sense as more international players have entered the league. Who cares about some Argentine lefty with hops? Millions of passionate fans and viewers do, that's who.

picnroll
06-14-2005, 04:39 PM
This is the data we, in this Forum, have been wanting to see for 2 or 3 years (since 2003 Finals).

It has been my contention (and several others here) that the viewership of the Finals should be rated based on worldwide audience and not just National audience numbers. It only makes sense as more international players have entered the league. Who cares about some Argentine lefty with hops? Millions of passionate fans and viewers do, that's who.
I'm pretty sure Stern is falling all over himself with these ratings. More so than last years.

timvp
06-14-2005, 04:40 PM
The problem is 10.67M US viewers is worth about 1 Billion "worldwide" viewers when it comes to $$$$$$$.

violentkitten
06-14-2005, 04:40 PM
nothing better than substituting american viewers for argentine ones, i'm sure.

violentkitten
06-14-2005, 04:41 PM
The problem is 10.67M US viewers is worth about 1 Billion "worldwide" viewers when it comes to $$$$$$$.

exactly.

Solid D

An exaggeration but you make a fair point.

bigbendbruisebrother

Oh, come on now Shoog, Ginobiry was obvoiusry fropping.

ShoogarBear
Argentina, you need to buy more Coca-Cola!

Spurminator
06-14-2005, 04:43 PM
Shit, does this mean Sprite is going to unveil a Chinese "Thirst"?

Xolotl
06-14-2005, 04:45 PM
Argentina, you need to buy more Coca-Cola!

Yeah Argentina is the worlds leading supplier of Coke........oh you meant the drink

MiNuS
06-14-2005, 04:45 PM
We definitely need Shakira in pregame singing and have Juanes sing the next game!
Let's get some flavor in there!

Xolotl
06-14-2005, 04:46 PM
We definitely need Shakira in pregame singing and have Juanes sing the next game!
Let's get some flavor in there!

F the pregame I say we make her the only silver dancer

spurs_fan_in_exile
06-14-2005, 04:47 PM
All that Stern is going to do with the fact that there is greater international interest is to cram Yao down our throats even harder. He speaks Chinese and eight words of english, let's pronounce him the official fucking ambassador of the game!

MiNuS
06-14-2005, 04:47 PM
Yeah Argentina is the worlds leading supplier of Coke........oh you meant the drink

hey that's Colombia not Argentina! Argentina in Latin America is considered an exporter of great singing talent and sport.Argentina is very rich in culture!

Xolotl
06-14-2005, 04:48 PM
Yeah but that Visa commerical where he says "Can I write check" was f'n hilarious

Xolotl
06-14-2005, 04:48 PM
hey that's Colombia not Argentina! Argentina in Latin America is considered an exporter of great singing talent and sport.Argentina is very rich in culture!

:lol Oh i was just being sarcastic I didn't even know it was Colombia.

LilMissSPURfect
06-14-2005, 04:51 PM

how do u say stephen A sucks in any other language?

Xolotl
06-14-2005, 04:53 PM
Durka durka

nkdlunch
06-14-2005, 04:54 PM
Wonder how many Argentinian viewers there are for an important soccer game.

Total Population - (the ones who don't have TV)

spurs_fan_in_exile
06-14-2005, 04:54 PM
Me llamo Esteban A. Smith y yo chupo mucho.

samikeyp
06-14-2005, 04:59 PM

:lmao :lmao :lmao

MiNuS
06-14-2005, 05:08 PM
how do u say stephen A sucks in any other language?

Esteban A Smith NO VALE MADRE! or

almost all cursing phrases in Spanish end with "madre".

ex:
chinga tu...
hijo de tu pinche ...
hijo bastardo de tu pinche,puta,pendeja,pudrida...

for some reason saying something "bad" about the cursee always
invlolves his/her mother.

cqsallie
06-14-2005, 05:11 PM
The NBA is looking for viewers in the US because of the sponsors. They really don't care if every person in every country in the world is watching...
Also, the NBA peddles the cult of personality - you know who they are, I don't have to list them. The cult of Manu Ginobilli couldn't have come at a better time for the NBA: finally somebody to hang their hats on! Superstar! Slasher! Obiwanginobilli! Manu has been annointed; now, it's up to him to prove them right.
Every time I think about Duncan losing Nike sponsorship for that kid from Cleveland, I want to puke! Ask any kid who there favorite player is and Duncan comes up consistently. Kids love Duncan. They love his face!
This is lost on sponsors who will desperately promote the "star" of a team that wallows at the bottom of the NBA ocean because of this silly cult of personality. They're glomming onto Manu, who is one hell of a player, but the best all-around player on the planet is still Tim Duncan (all props to every other Spurs player, because it takes a team to raise a trophy)!

desflood
06-14-2005, 05:11 PM
:lmao Oh, you are so going to Hell! :lmao

nkdlunch
06-14-2005, 05:12 PM
Stephen A se la come

spurs_fan_in_exile
06-14-2005, 05:17 PM
Every time I think about Duncan losing Nike sponsorship for that kid from Cleveland, I want to puke! Ask any kid who there favorite player is and Duncan comes up consistently. Kids love Duncan. They love his face!
This is lost on sponsors who will desperately promote the "star" of a team that wallows at the bottom of the NBA ocean because of this silly cult of personality. They're glomming onto Manu, who is one hell of a player, but the best all-around player on the planet is still Tim Duncan (all props to every other Spurs player, because it takes a team to raise a trophy)!

That reminds me of a story that I heard coming out of the all star break. Drob was there to introduce the air force choir to sing the national anthem. He took his kids to some of the fan events during the weekend and one of the guys from WOAI (formerly KMOL, I'm old school enough to remember Beamer with the moustache!) spotted him with his kids, who were wearing Lebron gear. He then asked them who the best player in the league was and they said Tim Duncan.

If only the world could know Timmy the way that Spurs fans do...

MiNuS
06-14-2005, 05:27 PM
Cult of Personality. I love that song

cqsallie
06-14-2005, 05:45 PM
That reminds me of a story that I heard coming out of the all star break. Drob was there to introduce the air force choir to sing the national anthem. He took his kids to some of the fan events during the weekend and one of the guys from WOAI (formerly KMOL, I'm old school enough to remember Beamer with the moustache!) spotted him with his kids, who were wearing Lebron gear. He then asked them who the best player in the league was and they said Tim Duncan.

If only the world could know Timmy the way that Spurs fans do...
Well, it may be coming to that! There was a funny pre-game thing on a local TV channel, in which a reporter was looking for Spurs fans from SA. Unable to find any, she came across a gaggle of young males camped outside the Spurs' hotel in Detroit. When polled, one 12-year-old named Ginobilli as his favorite NBA player, but the rest named Duncan.
Gee! Don't you think this is what the sponsors want to hear? You get a kid early on and you have his loyalty for life. Kids aren't as dumb as sponsors think. They know James isn't all that (or, if he is, he went fishing quite some time ago). Duncan could play for the Cavs and make them look good because he isn't a flash in the pan.
Charles Barkley said it best when assessing Dwayne Wade:"Wade scores for himself; he doesn't make his team better." The budding cult of Wade was cut short by Miami's failure to pull it out against the Pistons, and the NBA couldn't find a Piston worthy of annointing.
Charles Barkley also said it best months ago, when he yelled, "Ginobilli!!!!!!!"
That got the eyes looking and the ears pricking up! The cult of Manu was beginning, but it took this fearless Argentinian running into brick walls at 70 mph to make it a reality.
Timmy makes everybody around him look better, while quietly putting up double-doubles every night. Tony Parker makes everybody around him look better with his ball-handling, defensive and offensive play, as well his drive to the boards ending in that precious tear-drop. Bruce Bowen makes everybody around him look better with is ferocious defense and those magnificent flashes of brilliant 3-point shots from either corner (even a layup here and there). From this quartet, we can expand into the deepest bench in the NBA. Nazr has just made me gasp with his offensive rebounds, tenacity on the boards and ability to score. Horry? What to say? It's all been said and everybody who said it was right. Brent, Benu, Big Dog, Rasho, Tony M, Devin... On any given night, any of them can come in and turn a game around.
This is going to be my motto forever:
It takes a team to raise a trophy! :smokin

timvp
06-14-2005, 06:11 PM
An exaggeration but you make a fair point.

Being in global advertising, it isn't that much of a stretch. It's pretty close to that number, depending on the breakdown of the demographics of the other countries.