PDA

View Full Version : Trade/Draft Plan...thoughts?

DejuanorwhatDude
09-26-2011, 10:37 AM
The Spurs need to "blow it up". Both Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker need to be traded for whatever value they can...the Spurs will be in the dumps for a couple of years but they have what very few organizations do which is a great front office.

Tim Duncan has little to no value and should allowed to retired as a Spur.

My thought would be to trade Parker and another player(Blair,Bonner) to a team like Minnesota for a big(Milicic? Beasley?) and their draft pick. Manu to the Bulls for their draft pick. Have as good a season as you can, develop the youth...at the end of the day you've at least started down the road towards becoming a contender. Keeping them will be disastrous.

Hooks
09-26-2011, 10:41 AM
No.

DejuanorwhatDude
09-26-2011, 10:47 AM
I don't see why anybody wouldn't hypothetically be for a plan similar to that. This teams window is gone and has been gone for awhile. We're well on our way to becoming the Detroit Pistons of the Western Conference.

DejuanorwhatDude
09-26-2011, 10:49 AM
Ah just noticed the Think Tank page...sorry for the wrong posting location.

lmbebo
09-26-2011, 01:40 PM
Loooong offseason with no foreseeable end in sight ....

Just to say something..

Its evident that the spurs are not looking to break up the big 3 unless it nets significant cap savings (TP and RJ gone).

They are adding younger pieces to the core. JA, Leonard, Blair, Splitter, and down the line will be Cory Joseph and that european sharp shooter we drafted/traded for this year.

This team has decided to sink or swim with the pieces we got now.

Live with it. Plus too much is variable without a collective bargaining agreement yet. Who knows what our cap space, options, etc will be. No one knows.

Anonymous Cowherd
09-26-2011, 01:41 PM
what the...

how....

what....

huh?

SpursDynasty85
09-26-2011, 03:17 PM
Who is this European Sharp Shooter we traded for? Sanitidzke or whatever? He looks ok, but not a real game changer imo.

I still find it hard to believe RJ can be this bad. I hope the past 2 years of the RJ experiment continues to a 3rd and see how Pop tries to implement RJ differently this year. RJ needs to shed about 15 lbs too.

Theres no reason to think we can't improve with our line up this year. Kawhi Leonard is exactly what we need: defense, roughness, and rebounding. All depends on how much we can save Manu, Duncan, and Parker until the playoffs. If we get solid contributions from our solid role players, this team can once again contend. If the big 3 again have to carry the load during a long regular season, then we have no shot.

Anonymous Cowherd
09-26-2011, 03:43 PM
The "sharp shooter" is Davis Bertans.

Roger Freemason Jr.
09-26-2011, 05:55 PM
Bertans is no joke man. I understand the translation into the NBA is difficult for alot of euros, but from the looks of this guy, he's cold as ice, and not only can he sink the shot, he can get to the rim.

Brazil
09-26-2011, 06:02 PM
Beasley ! yeah great idea lol

ChuckD
09-26-2011, 06:56 PM
When you blow it up, you dump the player(s) for GOOD picks and ending contracts. The only true value is the picks. No player you get back is going to help your team. They'll only bind up your cap figure for another couple of years.

The Pistons tried to do it without the couple of years of pain, and got burned. They got pain anyway, and some shitty ass contracts that will set them back for 3-4 years in their re-build.

BTW, we're coming off a 60+ win year. Don't be in such a hurry to blow it up. It's going to suck REAL bad for 2-3 years, win totals in the 20s. We'll have to do it eventually, but I don't think we're there yet.

swaggerjackson
09-26-2011, 10:21 PM
Duncan has no value? This is news. For fun lets go ahead and ignore his hall of fame career up to this point. He still provides excellent leadership both on and off the court; he has seen every scenario imaginable on a basketball court. He puts up about 15 and 10 while protecting the rim and dishing out phenomenal passing for a big man. Can still be counted on to hit a big shot in a big game. And for the sake of argument lets pretend you don't like his game, he is in the final year of 20 million dollar contract. I can't think of a team in the league he wouldn't want Duncan.

Bottom line we need adjustments to win another NBA championship (Duncan's fifth btw). But this is not NBA live and you don't deal players like Ginobili or Parker willie nillie. And you don't deal players like Duncan ever. Period. No exclamation point. Yeah thats better

The_Worlds_finest
09-27-2011, 05:29 AM
The "sharp shooter" is Davis Bertans.

This dude is 6' 10" and only 18..he could grow more, (im sure matt bonner looked this good at that age) Only time will tell....

i39z7z-2FvQ

yavozerb
09-27-2011, 08:30 AM
This dude is 6' 10" and only 18..he could grow more, (im sure matt bonner looked this good at that age) Only time will tell....

i39z7z-2FvQ

Kid is not a bad athlete either, check this out....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brvuSJAzPIc

DejuanorwhatDude
09-27-2011, 06:20 PM
If you all honestly believe that "adjustments" are all thats needed to get a 34 year old Tim Duncan to the Finals, you're crazy. This team is done, plain and simple. Hypothetically if there is a shortened season I could see it happening, but even then when there is any amount of size, the Spurs will lose.

It wasn't just our team either...the Heat also fell victim to this. Now if we had any amount of size to go along with the shooting that we regularly have, things might change in the playoffs. The Mavericks and Thunder had arguably equal amounts of skilled bigs but the Mavs edged the Thunder out on shooting. Simply put though the years have definitely come and gone for the stars on this roster. We're getting younger towards the bottom, but the top cannot sustain success any longer.

It seems that you're content bottoming out for God knows how long instead of starting that process as soon as possible.

Duncan2177
09-27-2011, 06:26 PM
What the spurs need is a bigman thats what there missing.

DejuanorwhatDude
09-27-2011, 06:29 PM
But yeah Bertans looks killer.

ChuckD
09-27-2011, 06:58 PM
It seems that you're content bottoming out for God knows how long instead of starting that process as soon as possible.

No. we're not at the bottoming out point yet. If Tim wants to play 2-3 more years, I'll settle for 50+ wins for that long, and the Spurs can do that. THEN blow everything up. We're done with the Finals, though, until after the rebuild, and that's only if we draw a great draft pick. It's a crap shoot, which is why I'm not anxious to blow it up.

DejuanorwhatDude
09-27-2011, 08:20 PM
At that point "blowing it up" won't be possible(Manu will be 35,Tony 31), as we won't have anything of long term value. Yes, we'll have good seasons, but isn't really about winning it all? Or at least looking at the long term picture of consistently being the hunt? I get the sense that the Spurs fanbase is a little bit afraid of losing their identity.

We have the best scouting/front office in the league...it's something to take stock in. Popovich could be gone after this year...rebuilding is happening whether you want it to or not. I don't see why holding off does anything to better the team or those players we're so attached to.

ChuckD
09-27-2011, 08:42 PM
At that point "blowing it up" won't be possible(Manu will be 35,Tony 31), as we won't have anything of long term value. Yes, we'll have good seasons, but isn't really about winning it all? Or at least looking at the long term picture of consistently being the hunt? I get the sense that the Spurs fanbase is a little bit afraid of losing their identity.

We have the best scouting/front office in the league...it's something to take stock in. Popovich could be gone after this year...rebuilding is happening whether you want it to or not. I don't see why holding off does anything to better the team or those players we're so attached to.

Oh, you can already pretty much write off getting anything for Manu or Tim. Tony, on the other hand, really won't lose value until he's 33 or 34. He's on a friendly contract for a multiple time AS, and can bring a nice return for the next 2, maybe 3 years.

We both recognize that a re-build is going to be needed, we just differ as to when we want it to happen. That doesn't really matter though. The Spurs will never push a rebuild until Tim leaves. The minute he tells them he's done, the rebuild begins. Until then? Nope.

Roger Freemason Jr.
10-03-2011, 11:28 PM
The one thing that assures me Bertans will be effective, is that when he blocks those shots, the look on his face is cold blooded, he's proud of it, and he's athletic, long, and a spot on shooter. He's all the good things of Matt Bonner (which is one thing, 3pt.) plus with all the other things NBA players are supposed to do well, things Bonner doesn't do well.

G-Dawgg
10-04-2011, 02:24 AM
I don't believe Duncan is as 'finished' as people think... bring in another big front court player to start on this team to take a bit of pressure off of him and you'll see exactly how far from having his wheels fall off this guy really is......

therealtruth
10-04-2011, 03:29 AM
I agree Duncan just needs another big to start next to him. He shouldn't have had to worry about trying to stop both Randolph and Gasol. Against Memphis McDyess struggled and Splitter was reasonably the only other option that would have allowed them single coverage.