PDA

View Full Version : NBA teams to play against top European clubs

bigbendbruisebrother
06-14-2005, 05:27 PM
NBA teams to play against top European clubs

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-nba-europe&prov=ap&type=lgns

June 14, 2005
AUBURN HILLS, Mich. (AP) -- Four NBA teams will play preseason games against top European clubs in 2006 and 2007, the league was scheduled to announce Tuesday night before Game 3 of the Finals between San Antonio and Detroit.

The NBA teams, to be determined later, will play and hold training camps in five European countries as part of the NBA Europe Live presented by EA Sports.

``This is the NBA's most ambitious European basketball competition,'' NBA commissioner David Stern said in a statement. ``NBA Europe Live will exemplify how sports leagues around the world can work together for the long-term growth of their sport.''

The NBA's last visit to Europe was in 2003 for the NBA Europe Games, which featured a preseason game between the San Antonio Spurs and the Memphis Grizzlies, at Bercy Arena in Paris.

The league also announced that EA Sports has expanded its relationship with the NBA to become an official global marketing partner.

T Park
06-14-2005, 05:37 PM
interesting.

Does this mean if the SPurs win it all, they play Maccabi Tel Aviv?

bigbendbruisebrother
06-14-2005, 05:42 PM
interesting.

Does this mean if the SPurs win it all, they play Maccabi Tel Aviv?

Oooh, a "Rumble in the Holy Land". I like it.

picnroll
06-14-2005, 05:42 PM
I tell you Stern's delighted. This is where the money is in the long run.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-14-2005, 06:08 PM
And why he doesn't give a flip about ratings here in the US. The NBA is piggy backing off of guys like Manu and Tony for great ratings overseas.

I'd think it's a safe bet that SA will be in Europe. Along with the Kings, Mavs, and probably Sonics too.

picnroll
06-14-2005, 07:14 PM
Stern giving some details NBA Euro Live

1. four NBA teams in 2006 to have part of pre-season in four European cities.
2. Done in conjunction with Euroleague
3. Sponsored by Elactronic Arrts
4. Teams to play Euroleague teams
5. At the end wiill be a tournament in city to be determined with Euroleague champion and runner up playing NBA teams.
6. Intent to grow sport in Europe.

Question from audience about uniform rules. Europe rep said making some adjustments towardf NBA rules but take time and FIBA is slowest to move. Sterns says he'd like to try no offensive goal tending rule but in the minority in NBA.

Which Euro cities and NBA temas. Stern - not decided. Temas that have international players and large cities most likley. Decide by Oct.

Will it be NBA champ and runnerup or otehr. Stern no because teams will be picked early but ultimately may grow to NBA champ and runnerup against Euro champ and runnerup.

Nothing planned for this fall.

Stern finals being seen in 205 countries.

China reporter - What about China?Any plans to send teamms there and incorporate with China organization. Stern - send at least one team in 2006. Also exhibtion game in Latin America.

This year going to Italy, China and Latin America.

Is it reasonable to see an All-Star game in Europe. Stern - Possibilities. Did look at arena in Paris. Puerto Rico also requested.

Can we see an all-star game of US vs interantional. Stern - Doesn't see that. Wouldn't be in favot of. Maybe some type of Ryder cup seperately some day.

Daes definition of Europe include Turkey, Israal. What crieria, market, security, etc? Stern - open, not being defined.

Question - 45 players in Euroleague being diluted by exit of talent and young players who don't develop. Stren - you saw a different Euroleague finals than I did. Also raising age limit applies to Euro players as well.

ALVAREZ6
06-14-2005, 07:17 PM
Nice

Cant_Be_Faded
06-14-2005, 07:19 PM
LOL. If the spurs didn't have so many players who would play on another foreign team, I'd want them to play EVERY european team so we could owwwwwwn them like no other.

picnroll
06-14-2005, 07:21 PM
You know Pop is going to go for the best wine and food.

kolko
06-14-2005, 07:22 PM
You know Pop is going to go for the best wine and food.

If he want that, he should come to Argentina. :spin

ALVAREZ6
06-14-2005, 07:23 PM
If he want that, he should come to Argentina. :spin
Word.

SpursDork
06-14-2005, 07:41 PM
I was so hoping Stern would be open to the idea of US vs Intl players at the All Star Game. Couldn't they try it at least once... but the idea of having the ASG at Paris like he said, that would be so awesome. Especially for a guy like Tony. I was wondering, too, about the logistical problems he brought up. It wouldn't be aired live...