PDA

View Full Version : You like Huey Lewis and the News?

CubanSucks
09-28-2011, 01:53 AM
Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes, but when Sports came out in '83, I think they really came into their own, commercially and artistically. The whole album has a clear, crisp sound, and a new sheen of consummate professionalism that really gives the songs a big boost. He's been compared to Elvis Costello, but I think Huey has a far much more bitter, cynical sense of humor. In '87, Huey released Fore, their most accomplished album. I think their undisputed masterpiece is "Hip to be Square", a song so catchy, most people probably don't listen to the lyrics. But they should, because it's not just about the pleasures of conformity, and the importance of trends, it's also a personal statement about the band itself.

jaffies
09-28-2011, 02:44 AM
You wanna hurt me? Go right ahead if it makes you feel any better. I'm an easy target. Yeah, you're right, I talk too much. I also listen too much. I could be a cold-hearted cynic like you, but I don't like to hurt people's feelings. Well, you think what you want about me. I'm not changing. I like...I like me. My wife likes me. My customers like me. Cause I'm the real article. What you see is what you get.

paparazzi
09-28-2011, 08:27 AM
I'm Huey Lewis and you've just heard the News.

JoeChalupa
09-28-2011, 10:21 AM
:lol I wanna new drug.

I remember when that video came out and saw them in concert and they put on a good show. No theatrics just good music.

mrsmaalox
09-28-2011, 11:04 AM
Never heard them called "new wave" before.

CuckingFunt
09-28-2011, 11:54 AM
Never heard them called "new wave" before.

Well, Patrick Bateman isn't really known for his insightful understanding of musical genres. Or quality, for that matter.

Viva Las Espuelas
09-28-2011, 12:00 PM
I remember when they were constantly on MTV. Back when M was played.

step up to the mike
09-28-2011, 12:23 PM
They were very popular back then.

Leetonidas
09-28-2011, 01:01 PM
http://i619.photobucket.com/albums/tt271/neuralstate/interwebs/Patrick_Bateman_dance.gif

Drachen
09-28-2011, 02:31 PM
I remember when that video came out and saw them in concert and they put on a good show. No theatrics just good music.

I have a friend who kept thinking they were saying "new truck" and so the song confused the hell outta them.

To the OP, you know that there is an American Psycho troll on here right?

baseline bum
09-28-2011, 02:39 PM
Feed me a stray cat.

Spurminator
09-28-2011, 02:43 PM
I like Phil Collins better. I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent.

I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. (Christy, take off your robe.)

Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. (Sabrina, remove your dress.) In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. (Sabrina, why don't you, uh, dance a little.)

Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting.

Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as anything I've heard in rock. (Christy, get down on your knees so Sabrina can see your asshole.) Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like In the Air Tonight and Against All Odds. (Sabrina, don't just stare at it, eat it.) But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist. This is Sussudio, a great, great song, a personal favorite.

AmericanPsycho
09-28-2011, 02:53 PM
Phil Collins was on top for quite sometime. Great songwriter.

redzero
09-28-2011, 03:02 PM
Why are their copies of the style section all over the place? Do you have a dog? A little chow or something?

tlongII
09-28-2011, 03:21 PM
Huey and The News were in Portland for a show just a few weeks ago. They played outdoors at the Portland Zoo and it was kick ass. Of course I like horn sections and they have an excellent one. In fact the last 2 shows I've seen were Huey Lewis & The News and Steely Dan. Both had great horn sections! :tu

CubanSucks
09-28-2011, 04:41 PM
Why are their copies of the style section all over the place? Do you have a dog? A little chow or something?

No, Allen

redzero
09-28-2011, 04:41 PM
It seems that quite a few people miss the point of this thread.

CubanSucks
09-28-2011, 04:45 PM
you were supposed to say "Is that a raincoat?"

ElNono
09-28-2011, 05:02 PM
Aren't these the guys that used to sing "You don't need money" and "don't need no credit card"... those were the days when everything was free, IMO. :tu

tlongII
09-28-2011, 05:43 PM
Goin Back in Time!

CuckingFunt
09-28-2011, 07:59 PM

By a mile or two.

BlackSwordsMan
09-28-2011, 08:19 PM
Does K-Billy's Super Sounds of the Seventies play them?

CubanSucks
09-28-2011, 11:58 PM
vzN3qO-qc8U

for anyone still confused

redzero
09-29-2011, 12:05 AM
Listen, you'll have to excuse me. I have a lunch meeting with Cliff Huxtable at the Four Seasons in 20 minutes.

Viva Las Espuelas
09-29-2011, 10:23 AM
I found Gabriel's reign Of Genesis more interesting than Collins's tbh. Lambs Lie Down is an awesome album.

Pick of Destiny
09-29-2011, 10:29 AM

The point was if you like Huey Lewis and the News and WGAF.

redzero
09-29-2011, 11:19 AM
I found Gabriel's reign Of Genesis more interesting than Collins's tbh. Lambs Lie Down is an awesome album.

Jesus, that is really super. How did a nitwit like you get so tasteful?

baseline bum
09-29-2011, 11:20 AM
The menu is in braille.

baseline bum
09-29-2011, 11:26 AM
Well, we have to end apartheid for one. And slow down the nuclear arms race, stop terrorism and world hunger. We have to provide food and shelter for the homeless, and oppose racial discrimination and promote civil rights, while also promoting equal rights for women. We have to encourage a return to traditional moral values. Most importantly, we have to promote general social concern and less materialism in young people.

Viva Las Espuelas
09-29-2011, 12:21 PM
Jesus, that is really super. How did a nitwit like you get so tasteful?

Really, you can call me Viva or VLE if you're into the whole brevity thing....

cantthinkofanything
09-29-2011, 01:25 PM
vzN3qO-qc8U

for anyone still confused

Fail. Wasn't the point of the OP to make a reference that not everyone would get? To let some people know that you saw the edited version of American Pshcho on USA last weekend. And to confuse those who've never seen it. It would have been a cool OP about 10 years ago.

And then you became insecure because you were worried that people would think you really liked Huey Lewis that you had to post the video. LMFAO.

Really really sad and full of failure.

redzero
09-29-2011, 05:36 PM
The point was if you like Huey Lewis and the News and WGAF.

Huey's too black sounding to me.

Jelloisjigglin
09-29-2011, 08:22 PM
Do you believe in love?

tlongII
09-29-2011, 10:47 PM
0VKCU49j3x8

Isitjustme?
09-29-2011, 10:54 PM
Ha! I get it! American Psycho!

Copypasta with a fresh new take!