PDA

View Full Version : Spurs have one set of moves this offseason

chazley
09-28-2011, 03:34 AM
Amnesty clause for RJ

Sign Battier to be starting SF

Let Kawhi grow into the starting SF role

Get fucked by new hard cap and completely fucked at Center unless Tiago blossoms

therealtruth
09-28-2011, 06:22 AM
I guess it depends on how the new collective bargaining agreement looks but right now I don't think using amnesty for RJ would allow them under the cap enough to pursue Battier. A sign and trade might work. Plus the Spurs still need a starting or backup big who can defend PF/C.

DMC
09-28-2011, 04:47 PM
Tiago is going to make a difference.

Leetonidas
09-28-2011, 05:58 PM
Sign Battier? :lol This isn't 2006, dude is old and slow now. We need a defender like Iguodala, Allen, or Sefolosha (I know none of them are available :depressed )

Battier wouldn't be a bad bench guy for the vet min but someone is going to give him more and he doesn't need to be starting here, Leonard does. They need to go after a PF who can score in the post and rebound. Start Tim and Tiago. Cut RJ. Trade Blair for a decent backup PG.

Proxy
09-28-2011, 06:17 PM
Sign Battier? :lol This isn't 2006, dude is old and slow now. We need a defender like Iguodala, Allen, or Sefolosha (I know none of them are available :depressed )

yeah... makes me depressed too. I would love to have Iguodala.

(nice scanner darkley pic btw)

Big P
09-28-2011, 06:35 PM
Sadly Holt will not cut a $30 mil check to rj to go bye.

ChuckD
09-28-2011, 08:57 PM
Sadly Holt will not cut a $30 mil check to rj to go bye.

RJ is getting the money, one way or another. It's just a question of in one check or over three years. There's no additional money involved, just what they owe him now.

slick'81
09-28-2011, 08:58 PM
http://www.nydailynews.com/img/2009/07/16/alg_richard-kesha.jpg

gospursgojas
09-28-2011, 09:04 PM
RJ is getting the money, one way or another. It's just a question of in one check or over three years. There's no additional money involved, just what they owe him now.

Well if you sign someone in his place you'll be paying him and RJ at the same time. So there is additional money involved. That said...im still all for Holt cutting RJ.

itzsoweezee
09-28-2011, 10:47 PM
I understand cutting RJ via amnesty from a financial standpoint. But I don't really care about the financial standpoint.

From a basketball standpoint, it doesn't help. Even with the free'd up cap space, the Spurs likely would not be able to sign anyone.

Big P
09-28-2011, 10:55 PM

I never said there would be additional money, it's just that the amount, +$30 mil., would be a very difficult check for Holt to write...Paul Allen..sure, no prob....Holt, yes.

ChuckD
09-28-2011, 11:35 PM
Well if you sign someone in his place you'll be paying him and RJ at the same time. So there is additional money involved. That said...im still all for Holt cutting RJ.

Just do a K Leonard/J Anderson platoon at the three. No need to go shopping.

RJ has a ton of talent, but he really has no heart. I don't want to see him cockblocking the youngsters, and he's enough of a shit to not take a reduced role well.

spurs10
09-29-2011, 01:06 AM
Just do a K Leonard/J Anderson platoon at the three. No need to go shopping.

RJ has a ton of talent, but he really has no heart. I don't want to see him cockblocking the youngsters, and he's enough of a shit to not take a reduced role well.
Could be the motivation he needs. I believe he did work hard to improve with Pop last summer, and did look better for much of the regular season. Everybody lost their step at the end of the season really, with the death blow delivered in game 82 when Manu's arm was broken. I think Leonard is a driven young player who will inspire even the older guys around him...

unforeseen
09-29-2011, 01:27 AM
We need Tiago's 6 fouls.

cd98
09-29-2011, 08:19 AM
Spurs's biggest need is back up point guard. Then they probably need another big in case Duncan or Splitter get injured. It's easier to get a decent point guard then to get a decent big man.

DMC
09-29-2011, 09:45 AM
RJ will be ok if they can actually implement him and not just expect him to create his own plays off broken plays.

Leetonidas
09-29-2011, 09:48 AM
RJ will be ok if they can actually implement him and not just expect him to create his own plays off broken plays.

It's been two years, not gonna happen bruh. RJ is done, time to move on. The real question is, even if we released him, is there ANY team in the league that would want him? Aside from maybe playing with Nash I don't see where this dude fits on any roster in the league.

DMC
09-29-2011, 09:54 AM
It's been two years, not gonna happen bruh. RJ is done, time to move on. The real question is, even if we released him, is there ANY team in the league that would want him? Aside from maybe playing with Nash I don't see where this dude fits on any roster in the league.
We're stuck with him. You cannot blame the Spurs woes on RJ. He doesn't justify his salary, but he's what we have so we have to find a better way to use him.

portnoy1
09-29-2011, 10:51 AM
RJ will be ok if they can actually implement him and not just expect him to create his own plays off broken plays.Right!!!! RJ has always been most effective playing SF (first of all) and then getting his points by driving (getting to the free throw line), scoring in transition and hitting midrange jumpers. His 3pt shooting was a bonus to everything else he was doing. Pop gets him and then has him do everything else besides what he is good at, namely 3pt shooting ALL THE TIME, and then playing PF. That was Stupid!!!! Real Stupid!!!!

Its like getting a running back and then telling him to play quarterback and stay in the pocket, and never run (something he is very good at).

Leetonidas
09-29-2011, 11:11 AM
We're stuck with him. You cannot blame the Spurs woes on RJ. He doesn't justify his salary, but he's what we have so we have to find a better way to use him.

I think regulating him the bench with Ginobili would be better because Manu can actually find him on breaks or cuts. RJ's problem isn't only that he doesn't have a lot of plays called for him, but the guy never cuts to the basket, never goes back door, never tries to shake his man, he usually just fucking stands there in the corner.

I'd like the starting lineup to be Parker/Neal/Leonard/Duncan/Splitter with Manu and RJ being the main guys off the bench.

portnoy1
09-29-2011, 11:22 AM
I think regulating him the bench with Ginobili would be better because Manu can actually find him on breaks or cuts. RJ's problem isn't only that he doesn't have a lot of plays called for him, but the guy never cuts to the basket, never goes back door, never tries to shake his man, he usually just fucking stands there in the corner.

I'd like the starting lineup to be Parker/Neal/Leonard/Duncan/Splitter with Manu and RJ being the main guys off the bench.
How bout have Manu play 48minutes so that the other 11guys can be in a rythym? We have been saying that for years. It comes down to this, Spurs always have to find guys who can play with Parker, when they can't the answer is "lets stick em with Manu". FYI - RJ doesn't cut because that's not apart of the set plays or the offense. He gets the bruce Bowen treatment, stay in the corner.

When it comes to RJ playing better with Manu than he does Parker, thats simple ( Manu looks for him in spots he can be effective). Thats what Manu always does, which is why Blair in his rookie season was able to score so easily when running the pick n roll with Manu. When he tried it with other guys it never worked out as smoothly.

MR.SILVER&BLack
09-29-2011, 12:41 PM
Spurs's biggest need is back up point guard. Then they probably need another big in case Duncan or Splitter get injured. It's easier to get a decent point guard then to get a decent big man.
they have more than enough at guard. if they want signing a acie law or earl watson for cheap would be great insurance but manu can run the offense off the bench and will most likely go back as the 6th man. they need to focus on getting the best staring quality PF they can sign. bonner playing 20-25 mins a game will cause another lost season.

MR.SILVER&BLack
09-29-2011, 12:48 PM
How bout have Manu play 48minutes so that the other 11guys can be in a rythym? We have been saying that for years. It comes down to this, Spurs always have to find guys who can play with Parker, when they can't the answer is "lets stick em with Manu". FYI - RJ doesn't cut because that's not apart of the set plays or the offense. He gets the bruce Bowen treatment, stay in the corner.

When it comes to RJ playing better with Manu than he does Parker, thats simple ( Manu looks for him in spots he can be effective). Thats what Manu always does, which is why Blair in his rookie season was able to score so easily when running the pick n roll with Manu. When he tried it with other guys it never worked out as smoothly.
thats why a bench of manu/anderson/RJ/Blair/& Splitter would be amazing. so many cuts to the basket, screens, & pick&rolls. go back to having the best bench in the NBA.

G-Dawgg
10-02-2011, 05:25 PM
Kawhi is a starting quality small forward... the spurs need to sign a center, not a small forward.

Ed Helicopter Jones
10-05-2011, 12:25 PM
I don't see Tiago being dominant, merely serviceable. I'd rather see him playing than Bonner, however.

I'd agree that the Spurs biggest weakness is post and perimeter defense. Hopefully Leonard will be good, but there is no guarantee.

We need Bruce Bowen 2.0 and Robinson to come out of retirement for one more run...otherwise this team will definitely have some weaknesses on the defense this upcoming season.

therealtruth
10-05-2011, 12:47 PM

Exactly. We need another player who can create plays and pass to guys in their spots. Basically, a true backup point guard. The guard oriented offense with Parker and Ginobili works but they have to speed up the tempo and get RJ involved in the open court. There's no point in getting point in getting an open court guy like RJ and then having him sit in the corners. They've had success whenever they got him involved like that like earlier in the season. I remember Neal saying in an interview during the season that part of the reason for more running was to get more out of RJ. Pop knows what they need to do. He just didn't stay committed to it. Even though it wasn't his game the guy sat in the corner and hit 44% of his 3's.

therealtruth
10-05-2011, 12:55 PM
I don't see Tiago being dominant, merely serviceable. I'd rather see him playing than Bonner, however.

I'd agree that the Spurs biggest weakness is post and perimeter defense. Hopefully Leonard will be good, but there is no guarantee.

We need Bruce Bowen 2.0 and Robinson to come out of retirement for one more run...otherwise this team will definitely have some weaknesses on the defense this upcoming season.

I have no doubt Splitter will be more than serviceable if guys like Nesterovic, Mohammed and Oberto were and he's better than them. He really should have played more last season but Pop knew it meant sitting Bonner or Blair. Actually mainly Blair. Pop can't give up his love affair with Bonner. He was afraid it would mess with chemistry and Blair's production. Pop still destroyed both when he decided to start Dice. The team had better chemistry and rotations with Blair starting and Dice coming of the bench.

cantthinkofanything
10-05-2011, 01:06 PM
I have no doubt Splitter will be more than serviceable if guys like Nesterovic, Mohammed and Oberto were and he's better than them.

Link please.