PDA

View Full Version : house cleaning services - san antonio area

Bender
10-01-2011, 03:17 PM
need a thorough, one-time cleaning. Who has used some of the services around here? Molly Maids, White Glove, Maid Brigade, etc etc.

I have had MM come out here once for an estimate, but I thought it was kind of expensive... well, maybe not too bad for two housecleaners, but I was wondering if there are cheaper services around.

Don't want to hire an individual, who might steal my stuff (no racist)

DMX7
10-01-2011, 03:46 PM
Mouse is available, but lockup your TV's remote control.

Kori Ellis
10-01-2011, 03:52 PM
We used Molly Maids one time at our old house and the cleaning/service was horrible. I haven't used a service since then. (We have an individual who cleans regularly.)

Wild Cobra
10-01-2011, 04:01 PM
We used Molly Maids one time at our old house and the cleaning/service was horrible. I haven't used a service since then. (We have an individual who cleans regularly.)
I will assume that Molly Maids is a comparable service to Maid Brigade in my area. My ex works for a privately owned cleaning service that is several steps above them, and they clean rich people's houses. She also does her own work on the side for those without the large size houses. They charge a pretty penny. She took a pay cut a year or so ago, I think to $13/hr, because the "Maid Brigade" type services were undercutting them so dramatically. Still, where quality counts, they still have business. Just lost some of it to cheaper services and the economy. For regular size houses she does herself, she charges $25/hr. and supplies her own materials.

All the Maid Brigade workers I have seen are Hispanic. I wonder if they are all legal or not? The definitely undercut the established services in price.

You know...

You get what you pay for. Also... Is Molly Maids licensed and bonded should they break or damage something?

Kori Ellis
10-01-2011, 04:05 PM
Yes, Molly Maids workers are bonded, licensed and insured. I only used them once several years ago. To me, they were just lazy and not thorough.

DMC
10-01-2011, 04:08 PM

So that's where Timvp has been.

Bender
10-01-2011, 04:10 PM
Mouse is available, but lockup your TV's remote control.
:lol you know, I almost put "mouse, don't bother applying" when I made the OP

I guess an individual would be ok, if they come recommended from someone I trust. It is quite a job for one person though. Big house, although I only want the downstairs done, and I want some "extra" things done - like clean all the baseboards, ceiling fans, and blinds, if not included in regular cleaning service.

GoodOdor
10-01-2011, 05:07 PM
What's the rate like?

The cleaning crew(3 ladies) that comes to clean my house every 2 weeks charge us 70 bucks.

vato loco
10-01-2011, 05:29 PM
tell ur wife/gf to get off her ass and clean it herself

Wild Cobra
10-01-2011, 06:55 PM
tell ur wife/gf to get off her ass and clean it herself
Why are you against people making money?

BlackSwordsMan
10-01-2011, 07:07 PM
Wild Cobra wants all illegals gone -- how would they clean your house cobra?

Wild Cobra
10-01-2011, 07:22 PM
Wild Cobra wants all illegals gone -- how would they clean your house cobra?
I take care if it myself. However, if I were to hire a service, I would make sure they were legal workers.

Believe it or not, legal citizens do this type of work.

BlackSwordsMan
10-01-2011, 07:23 PM
Cut the malarkey. Pardon my french.

Wild Cobra
10-01-2011, 07:24 PM
Cut the malarkey. Pardon my french.

I keep wondering why trolls like you are allowed here.

BlackSwordsMan
10-01-2011, 07:34 PM
I keep wondering why racist like you still exist.

4>0rings
10-01-2011, 08:53 PM
So basically you want cheap labor... I hope you're not against illegal immigration!

4>0rings
10-01-2011, 08:54 PM
Believe it or not, legal citizens do this type of work.
You're just not willing to pay for it though.

Wild Cobra
10-01-2011, 10:13 PM
You're just not willing to pay for it though.

LOL...

I don't make any big messes. I have better places to spend my money. Besides, my youngest daughter lives with me still.

Bender
10-02-2011, 08:28 AM
I just requested a quote from maid brigade. Got a quote from molly maids not too long ago.

legal / illegal - not my worry.

gonna be a little embarrassing for my neighbors to see a housecleaning service parked in front :(

mrsmaalox
10-02-2011, 10:17 AM
No reason to be embarrassed Bender! Heck I've been paying people to clean since I was 19 in my first apartment and could scrape up the extra $35. I just don't like to do it; and it's not like I don't do any housework, the day to day stuff is plenty for me :lol

I think you'll be fine with one of those cleaning services for a one time job. I've found with every service I've used, in every city I've lived, that they all become complacent after a while and eventually need to be reminded and redirected about what you want done. The cleaning ladies I use prefer that I give them a list of chores to go by.

One of my neighbors uses Molly Maid regularly, and I believe it costs around $100 for an approx. 3500 sq. ft. house. The first time clean is always more than the subsequent cleanings. Anyway, she's not always happy with the job they do, but they guarantee the work and will come back to re-do whatever she wants re-done, however she wants it. She takes full advantage of that.

vato loco
10-02-2011, 02:01 PM
Why are you against people making money?

why are you against people, who have to resort to coming here illegally, trying to make a living?

BacktoBasics
10-02-2011, 02:33 PM
You pay cheap prices you get cheap service and a shitty job. If you're looking for a good thorough cleaning you should be paying approx 200 bucks per 1k sqft. On a typical 2,500 sqft home we send out 3 cleaners and it takes 3-4 hours and would run you about 450.

When you pay the cheap prices you're getting a low hourly wage cleaner or in the case of a few of these companies employees that earn their paycheck off a percentage of what they bill. So its a race for volume. Which is why they do a shitty job, and steal your shit. Our housekeepers get 15 bucks an hour and they don't look and act like crack whores. The higher price allows for a better quality employee and better quality cleaning products/equipment. It also means a more comprehensive list of duties to be performed.

Wild Cobra
10-02-2011, 02:52 PM
why are you against people, who have to resort to coming here illegally, trying to make a living?
I'm not against them so much as I am our legal system making it possible. I see that in general, they are harder working people than most Americans. What I want to see enforced, is making people here work first. This would save tax payer dollars making people work these jobs Americans don't want. then they have the option of seeking a better job, or stay in a job they don't like. Then, if we don't have enough employees, allow more legal incoming workers. You know... It's called Work Visas...

Bender
10-02-2011, 06:17 PM
One of my neighbors uses Molly Maid regularly, and I believe it costs around $100 for an approx. 3500 sq. ft. house. The first time clean is always more than the subsequent cleanings.
I can't find my MM estimate paper they left here a while back. IIRC, first cleaning, with 2 women, was around $275 or $285, just for the downstairs.
Subsequent cleanings would be cheaper like you said.

One problem I'm having, besides hating housecleaning, is that I can't get the smudges and spots off my laminate floors. My entire downstairs is laminate flooring. My house is approx 2600 sq ft, but I only want the downstairs cleaned, so that might be around 1200 sq ft I guess.

edit: just got maid brigade estimate: less than half of the MM estimate.

BacktoBasics
10-04-2011, 03:53 PM
I can't find my MM estimate paper they left here a while back. IIRC, first cleaning, with 2 women, was around $275 or $285, just for the downstairs.
Subsequent cleanings would be cheaper like you said.

One problem I'm having, besides hating housecleaning, is that I can't get the smudges and spots off my laminate floors. My entire downstairs is laminate flooring. My house is approx 2600 sq ft, but I only want the downstairs cleaned, so that might be around 1200 sq ft I guess.

edit: just got maid brigade estimate: less than half of the MM estimate.Heavily diluted Viper Venom will remove scuffs from laminate flooring. I use it on laminate dance studio floors to remove tap scuffs.

http://www.interlinksupply.com/index.html?item_num=CR22GL++++++++++++++

Service Products there in San Antonio carries it.

Whatever you do don't use their other products on that type of flooring...Viper Renew or Peroxibright. Just the Viper Venom. Mop up with just water.

I. Hustle
10-04-2011, 06:25 PM
I just got a deal from living social. Four hours of cleaning for $60. Reg price was about $250

Wild Cobra
10-05-2011, 03:06 AM
I just got a deal from living social. Four hours of cleaning for $60. Reg price was about $250
They must really be hard up to only charge $15/hr.

I. Hustle
10-05-2011, 10:41 AM
Living social always has deals like that. I've gotten some similar deals at other places through that site. It's just a way for businesses to promote their product.

Bender
10-05-2011, 11:42 AM
They must really be hard up to only charge $15/hr.
I've never done anything with living social... don't even know what it is, but companies have always done the "loss leader" thing - to gain new customers.

CosmicCowboy
10-05-2011, 12:10 PM
You pay cheap prices you get cheap service and a shitty job. If you're looking for a good thorough cleaning you should be paying approx 200 bucks per 1k sqft. On a typical 2,500 sqft home we send out 3 cleaners and it takes 3-4 hours and would run you about 450.

When you pay the cheap prices you're getting a low hourly wage cleaner or in the case of a few of these companies employees that earn their paycheck off a percentage of what they bill. So its a race for volume. Which is why they do a shitty job, and steal your shit. Our housekeepers get 15 bucks an hour and they don't look and act like crack whores. The higher price allows for a better quality employee and better quality cleaning products/equipment. It also means a more comprehensive list of duties to be performed.

Damn B2B...$450? That house cleaning better come with hot french maid and a happy ending.

JoeChalupa
10-05-2011, 12:21 PM
We have family "field days" and clean the house ourselves. No way I'm paying $250-450. Oh hell no. Is house cleaning a lost "skill"?

Bender
10-05-2011, 12:41 PM
Is house cleaning a lost "skill"?
when it comes down to "should I goof off on the compuer, or clean the house?", housecleaning generally loses.

Agloco
10-05-2011, 01:25 PM
We have family "field days" and clean the house ourselves. No way I'm paying $250-450. Oh hell no. Is house cleaning a lost "skill"?

Glad to see you have the time to do that. For some, their time is more valuable though. Lets see.....spend 8 hours cleaning the house or spend it making A) $1200 or so, B) Going on a trip/activity with the little ones?

Paying $250-450 as a down payment to get $1200 in return (or in the case of point B, doing something which I cannot put a price on)?

Um, yeah sign me up.

cantthinkofanything
10-05-2011, 01:38 PM
Glad to see you have the time to do that. For some, their time is more valuable though. Lets see.....spend 8 hours cleaning the house or spend it making A) $1200 or so, B) Going on a trip/activity with the little ones?

Paying $250-450 as a down payment to get $1200 in return (or in the case of point B, doing something which I cannot put a price on)?

Um, yeah sign me up.

What about finding another "sister (no racist) family" from a nearby city and have a day where each family takes a one day cleaning trip to the other one's home.

Even better, start a business based around linking these families together and charge a fee of $1200 ($600 per family) for each Sister (no racist) Family Cleaning Travel Partnership. But as President, you get link free of charge. But the other family pays their $600. So not only would you get your house cleaned for free, you'd be paid $600 for another family to clean your house. Plus all the income from all the other links you fostered.

JoeChalupa
10-05-2011, 03:03 PM

Um, yeah sign me up.

Well, for one it doesn't take 8 hours to clean and for it ain't all about making money for us. And the fact that we do it as a family IS family time for us. Being that we have family field day on a consistent basis means we don't spend hours and hours cleaning. If you don't have time to clean your house then you need to find the time unless you enjoy living in a dirty home. I understand your point but it ain't for us.
No, I won't sign up for that.

BacktoBasics
10-08-2011, 04:36 PM
Fact is a lot of people are tired of hiring a big national company to run a bunch of lazy near minimum wage workers to your house expecting them to do some kind of decent job. A lot of people can rationalize paying 350 bucks for 9 hours of solid cleaning over 150 bucks for 2 hours of a couple of losers who hate their job half ass wiping a counter in between smoke breaks.

When I started this business I never thought we'd be booking house cleanings. I just wanted to book carpet cleaning, tile work, construction cleanup, concrete polishing, handful of janitorial accounts and hoarding. Found out pretty fast that house cleaning is a lost skill. No one did it well because those who offered the service did so by hiring extremely cheap labor. So even though it only accounts for a tenth of our business its always big tickets and our employees don't hate making 15 bucks an hour or more.

The majority of those "listed" prices on Living Social or groupon are fabricated. Reason being is that the business owner ends up splitting the money with the advertiser after the discount. Groupon is a 50-50 split and they typically demand a 50% discount. So if your normal price is 300 bucks and they want you to discount 50% at 150 you'll end up with 75. So most of these people will jack up the price to say 450 or more to compensate. You're probably just better off calling the company and asking for a deal.