PDA

View Full Version : TP or The General (no bashing)

cantthinkofanything
10-03-2011, 02:42 PM
No doubt TP was better at his peak. But would you rather have 1999 Avery or current TP at point guard for the next three years?

lefty
10-03-2011, 02:42 PM
TP

He sucks less than Avery

cantthinkofanything
10-03-2011, 02:48 PM
What if Avery was a little lighter?

lefty
10-03-2011, 02:52 PM
What if we kept Rod Strickland?

Spurs' FO :rollin

Dex
10-03-2011, 02:52 PM
What if TP shot the ball a little better?

Dex
10-03-2011, 02:58 PM
What if TP could dunk? (I know he has before, but I'm talking more than once every three seasons)

Dex
10-03-2011, 02:58 PM
What if Avery didn't have a whiny voice?

(In case you didn't catch my drift, we could play the what-if game all day long.)

cantthinkofanything
10-03-2011, 03:00 PM
What if TP shot the ball a little better?

Yeah, I'd probably take TP then. But then what if AJ was a little quicker?
I'd probably then take AJ.

But if we throw Strickland into the mix, I think I proabaly take the late 90's version over either TP or Avery.

cantthinkofanything
10-03-2011, 03:01 PM
Shit. I didn't even think about Alvin Robertson.
What about having a prime Alvin Roberson over TP?

DesignatedT
10-03-2011, 03:20 PM
lol avery

DMC
10-03-2011, 04:52 PM
What if TP was a religious zealot?

DMC
10-03-2011, 04:54 PM
What if Avery didn't have a whiny voice?

(In case you didn't catch my drift, we could play the what-if game all day long.)
You tell everybody here, you tell us, what was your impression?

Dats a political answer. Let me aks you the question again. What was your impression on that play... we're waiting...

We got people from IS REAL, Minnesota, Chicago, Dallas... all over... Germany...

Dex
10-03-2011, 04:56 PM
In that regard, I'd take TP because his post-games are less painful on my ears. :D

DMC
10-03-2011, 05:00 PM
In that regard, I'd take TP because his post-games are less painful on my ears. :D
Exactly.

TP: "Oh definitely definitely. We just wanted to go out there and show what we could do. I mean, it's on us to win... so yeah definitely"

lefty
10-03-2011, 05:46 PM
"unbelievable"

Spurologist
10-03-2011, 06:31 PM
2RjmjejukO0

DMC
10-03-2011, 06:56 PM
"unbelievable"

Unbeavable

Dex
10-03-2011, 07:27 PM
2RjmjejukO0

:lmao That still cracks me up.

"Don't stuttah!"

DMC
10-03-2011, 08:37 PM
"Gotta pick n roll Pop, pick n roll"

Old School 44
10-05-2011, 09:29 AM
No doubt TP was better at his peak. But would you rather have 1999 Avery or current TP at point guard for the next three years?

Easily TP for the next three years. We'll need his offense.

Running with a prime Robinson and Duncan, I'd take Avery.
Or running with a prime Duncan and Ginobili, still AJ.
AJ's more of a true point, he didn't really need shots.

Ed Helicopter Jones
10-05-2011, 09:58 AM
If you started a "who was better at their peak, Avery Johnson or Jacques Vaughn" post, then you might have a thread worth debating.

Avery Johnson ran the offense decently enough but couldn't shoot to save his life. Teams would sag off of him begging him to shoot. TP would be option 1 on most teams, Avery was usually option 6.

I'm hoping this thread was made out of boredom.

lefty
10-05-2011, 10:00 AM
If you started a "who was better at their peak, Avery Johnson or Jacques Vaughn" post, then you might have a thread worth debating.

Avery Johnson ran the offense decently enough but couldn't shoot to save his life. Teams would sag off of him begging him to shoot. TP would be option 1 on most teams, Avery was usually option 6.

I'm hoping this thread was made out of boredom.
Yeah, Avery shot like shit and wasnt option 1 to 6

I agree

But he still made the biggest shot in Spurs history :D

Ed Helicopter Jones
10-05-2011, 10:03 AM
Yeah, Avery shot like shit and wasnt option 1 to 6

I agree

But he still made the biggest shot in Spurs history :D

I'll agree with that! Worthy of a number hanging from the rafters. :tu

(Of course the Knicks gave him 5 feet of room to shoot that 17 footer!)

lefty
10-05-2011, 10:23 AM
I'll agree with that! Worthy of a number hanging from the rafters. :tu

(Of course the Knicks gave him 5 feet of room to shoot that 17 footer!)
:lol

therealtruth
10-05-2011, 10:39 AM
TP has better offense, worse passing, and more turnovers. AJ had worse offense, better passing, and less turnovers. It all depends on what you want out of your PG. Most coaches want better passing. The reason why is the PG can get a shot of anytime he wants but his teammates can't unless he passes them the ball. If the PG is constantly looking for his shot his teammates are usually not as effective. You have to design a team to work with a shot happy PG. You want guys who don't need touches, shooters who can keep the defense honest, and rebounders to give him more shots. The Sixers did that with Iverson in '01.

cantthinkofanything
10-05-2011, 11:18 AM
TP has better offense, worse passing, and more turnovers. AJ had worse offense, better passing, and less turnovers. It all depends on what you want out of your PG. Most coaches want better passing. The reason why is the PG can get a shot of anytime he wants but his teammates can't unless he passes them the ball. If the PG is constantly looking for his shot his teammates are usually not as effective. You have to design a team to work with a shot happy PG. You want guys who don't need touches, shooters who can keep the defense honest, and rebounders to give him more shots. The Sixers did that with Iverson in '01.

I want great taste AND less filling. I shouldn't have to choose.

TDMVPDPOY
10-05-2011, 11:49 AM
both are fkn scrubs to be honest...

FromWayDowntown
10-05-2011, 12:24 PM
Calling AJ's shot against the Knicks "the biggest in Spurs history," is difficult to support any more. He made the shot with about a minute left in a series in which the Spurs were up 3-1.

Elliott's shot a round earlier in 1999 absolutely killed a Blazers team when that series could have been in doubt.

Horry's shot saved a championship that the Spurs were about to cough up in the pressure cooker that was the Palace.

Ginobili's oft-forgotten shot at the end of Game 6 of the Sonics series in 2005 staved off a Game 7 against a vastly inferior opponent.

Bowen's shot at the end of Game 5 in Phoenix in 2007 likely saved that series.

Ed Helicopter Jones
10-05-2011, 12:27 PM
Calling AJ's shot against the Knicks "the biggest in Spurs history," is difficult to support any more. He made the shot with about a minute left in a series in which the Spurs were up 3-1.

Elliott's shot a round earlier in 1999 absolutely killed a Blazers team when that series could have been in doubt.

Horry's shot saved a championship that the Spurs were about to cough up in the pressure cooker that was the Palace.

Ginobili's oft-forgotten shot at the end of Game 6 of the Sonics series in 2005 staved off a Game 7 against a vastly inferior opponent.

Bowen's shot at the end of Game 5 in Phoenix in 2007 likely saved that series.

Way to go, FWD! Way to desecrate the legacy with mere facts!

Take down the jersey Pop!!!

FromWayDowntown
10-05-2011, 01:57 PM
Way to go, FWD! Way to desecrate the legacy with mere facts!

Take down the jersey Pop!!!

Meh. I don't think it matters much any more. Nobody's clamoring to take down Junior's number and, while I have great sympathy for his story and appreciated his play in his prime, I think that decision pretty much lowered the bar forever on that honor.

Also, there has to be some story for why San Antonio (collectively) threw a hissy fit when some Argentinian guard, who hadn't ever played a game for the Spurs, dared to want to wear the sacred #6:

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQllxc1-QKvdS68eN5nWEXotkbLPnNtHpDYgEvzMXKYLMZmn24r3A

dbestpro
10-08-2011, 09:11 AM
Shit. I didn't even think about Alvin Robertson.
What about having a prime Alvin Roberson over TP?

Alvin with all of his post career garbage still had the best all around game. Jordan even said he was the best defender he ever played against. The best Spurs PG might actually be James Silas with a pat on the back to Johnny Moore.

wildbill2u
10-08-2011, 10:44 AM
Avery is supposed to have the better PG qualities because of his assist ability. For the record, TP's career average is 5.7 per game and Avery is 5.5.

For my money a better comparison of great Spur point guards would be James Silas and Tony Parker. I remove Strickland because of his limited career here.

Silas could run the point and shoot. The one-four play designed to isolate the best shooter at the top of the key with all the rest of the players along the baseline was designed for Silas, not for Gervin, although Gervin ran it after Silas was hurt and traded. Silas was automatic from the FT line so in a close game, he was the logical choice to take the last shot for a win--and he won a lot of games that way--hence the nickname, Capt. Late. Avery's shot to win in 1999 was considered a miracle. For Silas it would have been another day at the office.

therealtruth
10-08-2011, 01:27 PM
Avery is supposed to have the better PG qualities because of his assist ability. For the record, TP's career average is 5.7 per game and Avery is 5.5.

For my money a better comparison of great Spur point guards would be James Silas and Tony Parker. I remove Strickland because of his limited career here.

Silas could run the point and shoot. The one-four play designed to isolate the best shooter at the top of the key with all the rest of the players along the baseline was designed for Silas, not for Gervin, although Gervin ran it after Silas was hurt and traded. Silas was automatic from the FT line so in a close game, he was the logical choice to take the last shot for a win--and he won a lot of games that way--hence the nickname, Capt. Late. Avery's shot to win in 1999 was considered a miracle. For Silas it would have been another day at the office.

I don't think it was necessarily a miracle. It just was if there was any guy you were going to leave open in that scenario AJ would have been the guy. Teams get beat by that all the time. They believe cause someone isn't a consistent jump shooter they can leave him wide open.