PDA

View Full Version : I guess Hank Jr...

Yonivore
10-03-2011, 05:32 PM
...didn't learn anything from the Dixie Chicks.

Hank Williams Jr. Booted From ESPN Over Obama/Hitler Comparison (http://2012.talkingpointsmemo.com/2011/10/hank-williams-jr-booted-from-espn-over-obamahitler-comparison.php)

Why does anyone care what a non-political celebrity thinks of politics?

ElNono
10-03-2011, 05:59 PM
You obviously care.

Yonivore
10-03-2011, 06:11 PM
You obviously care.
Ankle-biting troll.

ElNono
10-03-2011, 06:23 PM
Ankle-biting troll.

You care enough to start this thread.

Drachen
10-03-2011, 06:30 PM
You care enough to start this thread.

Calmer n you are

ElNono
10-03-2011, 06:54 PM
Calmer n you are

???

ChuckD
10-03-2011, 07:09 PM

Hank Williams Jr. Booted From ESPN Over Obama/Hitler Comparison (http://2012.talkingpointsmemo.com/2011/10/hank-williams-jr-booted-from-espn-over-obamahitler-comparison.php)

Why do Republicans feign disinterest when it's a teabagger, and are outraged when it's a progressive?

Yonivore
10-03-2011, 07:23 PM
Why do Republicans feign disinterest when it's a teabagger, and are outraged when it's a progressive?
I think both Williams and the Chicks are idiots but, I wasn't outraged by either. I find it just as funny that Hank Jr. has shot himself in the foot as I did when the Dixie Chicks did the same thing.

What I find interesting is the attention given them by the media for musings about things not in their wheelhouse of expertise; politics.

Oh, Gee!!
10-03-2011, 07:39 PM
Espn is owned by disney, and disney avoids controversy at all costs and will fire anybody if they step out of line

Yonivore
10-03-2011, 07:44 PM
Espn is owned by disney, and disney avoids controversy at all costs and will fire anybody if they step out of line
Hell, I would have fired him.

Jacob1983
10-03-2011, 10:20 PM
Why are people making a big deal about political opinions made by a hillbilly singer?

fraga
10-03-2011, 10:36 PM
Well they don't pay him to think...they pay him to sing...I know if I was a CEO...I'd be like STFU and sing your stupid little song...if not...ya fired...

Spurminator
10-03-2011, 10:45 PM
The only media I've ever seen make a big deal about political leanings of celebrities is conservative media.

You guys made a deck of cards devoted to liberal celebrities. It's pathetic.

DMC
10-03-2011, 11:34 PM
I'm not either one, but it works both ways and that's apparent from the outside. You party liners are hilarious in a Nazi sort of way.

DMC
10-03-2011, 11:36 PM
The only media I've ever seen make a big deal about political leanings of celebrities is conservative media.

That's because celebs are notoriously liberal.

It's taboo for a conservative celeb to speak out. They had Dennis fucking Miller on Monday Night Football for a while, as if he's never made any crazy political statements.

DMC
10-03-2011, 11:37 PM
Except Mickey and he can fondle all the little girls he wants to.

Wild Cobra
10-04-2011, 02:59 AM

Where's the liberal outrage?

Wild Cobra
10-04-2011, 03:00 AM
I think both Williams and the Chicks are idiots but, I wasn't outraged by either. I find it just as funny that Hank Jr. has shot himself in the foot as I did when the Dixie Chicks did the same thing.

What I find interesting is the attention given them by the media for musings about things not in their wheelhouse of expertise; politics.
I agree.

How long did the Dixie Chick story hang around?

Since there is no liberal outrage over this, the media will probably be silent real soon, if not from the start.

boutons_deux
10-04-2011, 04:43 AM
"no liberal outrage over this"

why any outrage? Obama=Hitler (how dumbfuck robotic bubba original!) and the ABC/ESPN took care of him (I'm a little surprised. He'll be baaack).

Dixie Chicks:

"we don't want this war, this violence, and we're ashamed that the President of the United States (George W. Bush) is from Texas".

... at a time when much of America traumatized by 9/11 ad put faith in govt to believe the lies about Iraq from the dubya/dickhead criminal gang went down badly. Ballsy girls.

5000+ American military and a few $T wasted later, DC's were right (as were the cheese-eating surrender monkeys and any other people against the phony Iraq war), the Repugs were lying America into a war for oil.

mingus
10-04-2011, 05:55 AM

It's not pathetic at all. Celebrities have a lot of political influence.

boutons_deux
10-04-2011, 06:22 AM
I rate this bubba asshole right down there with fucking crazy gun-fetishist Ted Nugent.

George Gervin's Afro
10-04-2011, 07:53 AM
I agree.

How long did the Dixie Chick story hang around?

Since there is no liberal outrage over this, the media will probably be silent real soon, if not from the start.

it sucks doesn't it... you want liberal outrage and you can't find it..:lmao

Spurminator
10-04-2011, 09:04 AM
I maintain my position of not giving a shit what Hank Jr. thinks about anything related to politics, but the interview is too funny not to share.

Great job by the producers of Fox & Friends to book such a compelling guest!

1eF6vCv13bw

fraga
10-04-2011, 09:37 AM
And apparently he's supported Sarah Palin for President in the past...sheesh...could he be more ignorant infront of the camera...

DarrinS
10-04-2011, 09:53 AM
I don't agree with people being fired over saying something stupid. That said, I was tired of Hank Jr's MNF songs a LONG LONG time ago. The NFL has just improved their product.

cantthinkofanything
10-04-2011, 10:02 AM
Who gives a shit. Everyone wins. Hank probably ends up with a short boost in his visibility and music sales.

Wild Cobra
10-04-2011, 02:04 PM
I don't agree with people being fired over saying something stupid. That said, I was tired of Hank Jr's MNF songs a LONG LONG time ago. The NFL has just improved their product.
Well, when you work for someone, you become an image of their business, product, etc. The Dixie Chicks pissed off much of their listeners. Williams probably didn't, but was an employee of a Network. I like Williams, but he screwed up. There are other examples of people fired doing things within the bounds of their job, but were fired for perceived racism when it wasn't the case. I find this deplorable.

spurs_fan_in_exile
10-04-2011, 02:11 PM
Whether you agree with his stance or not, he and his intro performed a valuable security service by dealing with any non-ready viewers at the top of the show. For some it was a perfuntory weekly check up, but for others a vital moment to pause and reflect upon the status of their preparation efforts. Some will trumpet this as a well deserved penalty to Mr. Williams, others will see it as PC run amok. I look past that to the inevitable tragedy of someone slipping through the cracks and watching MNF when they in fact are not ready for some football.

Blake
10-04-2011, 02:22 PM
Where's the liberal outrage?

lol Wild Polarization

Wild Cobra
10-04-2011, 02:33 PM
lol Wild Polarization
Just wondering where the same people are that voiced their anger over what happened to the Dixie Chicks.

Where are they?

Blake
10-04-2011, 03:46 PM
Just wondering where the same people are that voiced their anger over what happened to the Dixie Chicks.

Where are they?

Who are they?

Wild Cobra
10-04-2011, 03:47 PM
Who are they?
Do you have a short memory? It was almost a viral infection of liberals.

Spurminator
10-04-2011, 03:54 PM
Do you have a short memory? It was almost a viral infection of liberals.

Wait, it was the liberals calling in to every country station and demanding that those stations remove the Dixie Chicks from their play lists? That was the liberals who did that?

That's not how I remember it.

Blake
10-04-2011, 03:54 PM
http://www.calldrmatt.com/strawman_kit.jpg

Wild Cobra
10-04-2011, 04:02 PM
Wait, it was the liberals calling in to every country station and demanding that those stations remove the Dixie Chicks from their play lists? That was the liberals who did that?

That's not how I remember it.
LOL...

No, the liberal uprise following that. The argument was freedom of speech.

The Dixie chicks probably pissed off about 70% of their listeners. They were no longer a wanted item on the radio, concerts, etc. for a long time. Still, the liberals in essence demanded that the radio stations ignore the loss of profits and keep them on the radio.

Where is the liberal uprise for freedom of speech?

Spurminator
10-04-2011, 04:23 PM
LOL...

The Dixie chicks probably pissed off about 70% of their listeners. They were no longer a wanted item on the radio, concerts, etc. for a long time. Still, the liberals in essence demanded that the radio stations ignore the loss of profits and keep them on the radio.

Where is the liberal uprise for freedom of speech?

Oh, my bad, I thought you were talking about the outrage about what the Dixie Chicks said, which (as most reasonable people will remember) was a much higher level of outrage than the reaction to the boycott...

I assumed you were wondering why the same people who were so upset about one country singer's comments about the President are not similarly outraged about this country singer's comments about the President?

But maybe they are outraged and I don't know it. Perhaps the multitudes are calling their local country stations today and demanding that they boycott Hank Jr.'s music. Otherwise, that would be hypocritical, wouldn't it?

cantthinkofanything
10-04-2011, 04:42 PM
Whether you agree with his stance or not, he and his intro performed a valuable security service by dealing with any non-ready viewers at the top of the show. For some it was a perfuntory weekly check up, but for others a vital moment to pause and reflect upon the status of their preparation efforts. Some will trumpet this as a well deserved penalty to Mr. Williams, others will see it as PC run amok. I look past that to the inevitable tragedy of someone slipping through the cracks and watching MNF when they in fact are not ready for some football.

This is the funniest mother fucker on the board by a long shot. Always quality. I'm a distant second to this guy.

Blake
10-04-2011, 04:46 PM
This is the funniest mother fucker on the board by a long shot. Always quality. I'm a distant second to this guy.

I'm sure you are funnier than you think you are.

Say something funny so that we can let you know how funny you are.

cantthinkofanything
10-04-2011, 07:17 PM
I'm sure you are funnier than you think you are.

Say something funny so that we can let you know how funny you are.

ok...here goes

In Soviet Russia, Hot Karl poop on you.

boutons_deux
10-04-2011, 07:46 PM
assholes like Hank Jr and Ted Nugent know EXACTLY whom they're talking to. These are misstatements

Oh, Gee!!
10-05-2011, 01:32 AM
and the hangovers hurt more than they used to

true

Oh, Gee!!
10-05-2011, 01:36 AM
I'm a country fan. I've always been a fan of Hank, Sr. and Hank, Jr., but (after watching the interview) I've gotta say that Bocephus embarrassed himself and his family.

Wild Cobra
10-05-2011, 02:53 AM
I'm a country fan. I've always been a fan of Hank, Sr. and Hank, Jr., but (after watching the interview) I've gotta say that Bocephus embarrassed himself and his family.
What about the Dixie Chicks?

Oh, Gee!!
10-05-2011, 03:00 AM

I never listened to them.

Wild Cobra
10-05-2011, 03:06 AM
I never listened to them.
Are they before your time?

Oh, Gee!!
10-05-2011, 03:14 AM
Are they before your time?

not really, their kind of country music sucks imo

Blake
10-05-2011, 08:21 AM

They embarassed themselves too.

Are you really fishing around trying to find some "Liberal" that will say otherwise?

smh

Wild Cobra
10-05-2011, 09:26 AM
They embarassed themselves too.

Are you really fishing around trying to find some "Liberal" that will say otherwise?

smh
If I recall, liberals at the time were all cheering them on for what they said, just because they were Bush Bashing.

Spurminator
10-05-2011, 09:33 AM
If I recall, liberals at the time were all cheering them on for what they said, just because they were Bush Bashing.

You recall that from your steady diet of conservative talk media, no doubt.

Blake
10-05-2011, 09:36 AM

everyone on the left cheered; everyone on the right booed.

you're stupid.

cantthinkofanything
10-05-2011, 09:43 AM

I don't know about any of that. But the singer looks like the chickin BR's sig.

http://www1.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/Premiere+Mall+World+Arrivals+0yv4cnxj6gfl.jpg

http://www.jigglegifs.com/data/media/2/atx_4.gif

Yonivore
10-12-2011, 04:16 PM
Hank Williams, Jr. seems to be having the last laugh on this.

His "Keep the Change" song, recorded Friday, in response to the uproar over his using the Hitler/Netanyahu analogy, hit #1 on the Country download charts and his fan club has exploded.

JoeChalupa
10-12-2011, 05:28 PM
I saw him on the news and he said FoxNews baited him into making that remark. :lmao

Jacob1983
10-12-2011, 11:24 PM
Even the bozos on Fox and Friends didn't touch his comments when he was saying them. They were just like "wtf". When you compare the president to Hitler, you're pretty much done as a public figure or celebrity. There is a double standard but that's how baseball go.

Wild Cobra
10-13-2011, 02:42 AM
everyone on the left cheered; everyone on the right booed.

you're stupid.
No, I put it in context.

Most country listeners are conservative. That's why the retaliation against the Dickie Chicks, and not Williams, by listeners of the genre.

Blake
10-13-2011, 09:19 AM
No, I put it in context.

Most country listeners are conservative. That's why the retaliation against the Dickie Chicks, and not Williams, by listeners of the genre.

It was March of 2003. Bush and the Iraq War were popular when the Chicks made their comments.

"Most country listeners are conservative" is hilarious though.

You. are. stupid.

Oh, Gee!!
10-13-2011, 09:25 AM
Hank Williams, Jr. seems to be having the last laugh on this.

His "Keep the Change" song, recorded Friday, in response to the uproar over his using the Hitler/Netanyahu analogy, hit #1 on the Country download charts and his fan club has exploded.

This truly is a festivus miracle.

DMX7
10-14-2011, 07:31 AM
Ankle-biting troll.

:lmao Oh, the irony.

ChuckD
10-14-2011, 06:59 PM

Where are they?

The Dixie Chicks were never fired from anything. Buzz me when country radio chokes off Hank IIs career.

ChuckD
10-14-2011, 07:08 PM
LOL...

Neither case was a free speech issue. I can't believe all of the idiots that don't understand what free speech actually covers.

Here goes: Free speech protects you from criminal prosecution of what you say. That's it.

People can still call you an idiot. ESPN can fire you. Country radio can stop playing your songs. Your boss can fire you. None of those things are free speech violations.

Wild Cobra
10-14-2011, 07:22 PM
Neither case was a free speech issue. I can't believe all of the idiots that don't understand what free speech actually covers.

Here goes: Free speech protects you from criminal prosecution of what you say. That's it.

People can still call you an idiot. ESPN can fire you. Country radio can stop playing your songs. Your boss can fire you. None of those things are free speech violations.
We agree, especially when representing someone else. Those you represent have the right to do what is best in their interest.

Yonivore
10-14-2011, 07:32 PM

Okay, if you're going to school people on free speech, perhaps you should be a little more, er, technically correct.

First, some would argue they were "free speech issues," in that both were instructive to the consequences of exercising your constitutionally protected right to speak freely.

Second, the first amendment protects you from the government making any law designed to abridge this right to free speech. In other words, it doesn't just protect you from arrest and criminal prosecution.

There have been laws that restrict speech but only insofar as that speech infringes on the rights of others, (i.e. screaming fire in a crowded theater).

People can still call you an idiot. ESPN can fire you. Country radio can stop playing your songs. Your boss can fire you.
The consequential part of your exercising your right to speak freely.

None of those things are free speech violations.
Not because they aren't violations of your rights but, because there's no such thing as a "free speech violation."

ChuckD
10-14-2011, 09:24 PM
Okay, if you're going to school people on free speech, perhaps you should be a little more, er, technically correct.

First, some would argue they were "free speech issues," in that both were instructive to the consequences of exercising your constitutionally protected right to speak freely.
They would be wrong, since neither the DCs or HW II were arrested for anything.

Second, the first amendment protects you from the government making any law designed to abridge this right to free speech. In other words, it doesn't just protect you from arrest and criminal prosecution.

Well, at least until the GOP monkeys with our system some more, you can't be arrested for anything that there isn't a law for, so my point is correct. You can't be arrested for what you say, because to be arrested requires a law to be in place. Try to keep up with the class, Yawni.

Not because they aren't violations of your rights but, because there's no such thing as a "free speech violation."

Yaaaaawn. You split more hairs than a 110V curling iron plugged into a 220v outlet. Free speech violation or violation of someone's right of free speech. Whatever. You knew exactly what I meant, and chose to be argumentative for your own sake.

Yonivore
10-14-2011, 09:34 PM
They would be wrong, since neither the DCs or HW II were arrested for anything.
Obviously, over your head. My apologies.

Well, at least until the GOP monkeys with our system some more, you can't be arrested for anything that there isn't a law for, so my point is correct. You can't be arrested for what you say, because to be arrested requires a law to be in place. Try to keep up with the class, Yawni.
But, that's not the point of the first amendment protection. It doesn't protect you just from arrest, it protects you from any government abridgment of that freedom -- including arrest.

And, you can be arrested for what you say.

Yaaaaawn. You split more hairs than a 110V curling iron plugged into a 220v outlet. Free speech violation or violation of someone's right of free speech. Whatever. You knew exactly what I meant, and chose to be argumentative for your own sake.
You were the one pretending to be the expert. And, actually, considering the poor construct of the rest of your post, no, there was no way to know exactly what you meant.

ChuckD
10-14-2011, 09:51 PM
But, that's not the point of the first amendment protection. It doesn't protect you just from arrest, it protects you from any government abridgment of that freedom -- including arrest.

And, you can be arrested for what you say.
Right, those examples that everyone knows like yelling "Fire!" in a movie house. Obviously not the case with the DCs or Hank II. Try to stay on task, or use a better example that applies to the discussion at hand and the thread.

You were the one pretending to be the expert. And, actually, considering the poor construct of the rest of your post, no, there was no way to know exactly what you meant.

Compared to the average person, I am. Hank II himself cried about free speech after he was let go. Everyone and their mothers cries about this when faced with some non-legal consequence(s) of putting their foot or both feet in their mouths. I understand that is a legal distinction. The average idiot, and Hank II easily qualifies, thinks there can be NO consequences to their speech, legal or otherwise. That's not the world we live in.

Yonivore
10-14-2011, 10:02 PM
Right, those examples that everyone knows like yelling "Fire!" in a movie house.
I was thinking more like going to your next door neighbor and telling him you're going to kill him and his entire family if he doesn't quit letting his dog crap in your yard.

You can be arrested for that speech, as well.

Obviously not the case with the DCs or Hank II. Try to stay on task, or use a better example that applies to the discussion at hand and the thread.
I'm focused on this like a laser beam. I was only responding to your idiotic proclamations in that first post.

Okay, your words that prompted me to respond:

That would include you, apparently.

That's not "it." It's not even the principle purpose of the first amendment protection of your free speech rights, as I've already explained. But, just wanted you to know why I was explaining since you can't seem to recall your own asinine statements.

Just like I can call you and idiot for saying the first amendment only protects you from arrest. That's it.

Compared to the average person, I am. Hank II himself cried about free speech after he was let go. Everyone and their mothers cries about this when faced with some non-legal consequence(s) of putting their foot or both feet in their mouths. I understand that is a legal distinction. The average idiot, and Hank II easily qualifies, thinks there can be NO consequences to their speech, legal or otherwise. That's not the world we live in.
I'm not sure Hank cried in his beer that long. He was fishing the next day and wrote a song that moving like hotcakes.

I'm sure he'll recover.