PDA

View Full Version : US Reports of an alarming rise in the number of Alabama minor yardworkers

cantthinkofanything
10-04-2011, 08:49 AM
go figure

boutons_deux
10-04-2011, 09:11 AM
cantpostalink

CosmicCowboy
10-04-2011, 10:39 AM
might as well get an early start on their careers...:lol

MannyIsGod
10-04-2011, 10:52 AM
cantpostalink

:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin

Nbadan
10-05-2011, 12:12 AM
I see what you did there...

Oh, Gee!!
10-05-2011, 01:49 AM
when I was a minor, yardwork was the perfect job during summer vacation

boutons_deux
10-05-2011, 04:07 AM
exactly, how many white/black adults would do paid yardwork that they did as teens and that is now done by brown immigrants?

CosmicCowboy
10-05-2011, 08:33 AM
exactly, how many white/black adults would do paid yardwork that they did as teens and that is now done by brown immigrants?
There is a guy that lives down the street from me in a $200K house that has a little one man yard service. I think his wife works at USAA which I'm sure helps but that is his career. Not really bad if you think about it. Cash business, he can probably clear $300 a day. If he can stay busy 5 days a week that's like having a $90,000 a year paycheck.

Borat Sagyidev
10-05-2011, 08:38 AM
might as well get an early start on their careers...:lol

I never thought with such ingenious southern inventions for lawn maintenance why such a demand exists....

http://www.northernontarioclassiccruisers.com/pb/wp_7678da39/images/img71074973ce849e192.jpg

MannyIsGod
10-05-2011, 09:03 AM
There is a guy that lives down the street from me in a $200K house that has a little one man yard service. I think his wife works at USAA which I'm sure helps but that is his career. Not really bad if you think about it. Cash business, he can probably clear $300 a day. If he can stay busy 5 days a week that's like having a $90,000 a year paycheck.

I would hate to fucking work out in San Antonio heat cutting peoples yard everyday for 6 months out of the year. 90k isn't enough to make me do that.

CosmicCowboy
10-05-2011, 09:07 AM
I would hate to fucking work out in San Antonio heat cutting peoples yard everyday for 6 months out of the year. 90k isn't enough to make me do that.

That's why you live on student loans.:p:

Wild Cobra
10-05-2011, 09:20 AM
Well, hope you have a better paying job then. It doesn't take long to acclimate to hard work and heat.

cantthinkofanything
10-05-2011, 09:32 AM

But that would be a perfect scenario. Chances are that a lot of people pay him by check. If he's clearing $300 per day, he's proabaly working at least 10 hard hours a day. He's probably not staying busy 10 hours a day, 5 days a week for the whole year. I'm sure his business has to be at least cut in half when it gets cooler. Haven't even considred his repair and maintenance and fuel expenses.

His wife's job at USAA is probably doing a lot more than "just helping". It's proabaly 1/2 of their combined income. Maybe more when you figure it's paying for their health insurance as well.

As for it allowing him to live in a $200,000 house, you have no idea if he had some inhereited money or recieves any kind of additional assistance.

But you just see a guy mowing yards and living in a nice house and jump to a conclusion.

All that being said, did you end up buying one of those flying fish things?
If so, how is it?

CosmicCowboy
10-05-2011, 09:41 AM
But that would be a perfect scenario. Chances are that a lot of people pay him by check. If he's clearing $300 per day, he's proabaly working at least 10 hard hours a day. He's probably not staying busy 10 hours a day, 5 days a week for the whole year. I'm sure his business has to be at least cut in half when it gets cooler. Haven't even considred his repair and maintenance and fuel expenses.

His wife's job at USAA is probably doing a lot more than "just helping". It's proabaly 1/2 of their combined income. Maybe more when you figure it's paying for their health insurance as well.

As for it allowing him to live in a $200,000 house, you have no idea if he had some inhereited money or recieves any kind of additional assistance.

But you just see a guy mowing yards and living in a nice house and jump to a conclusion.

All that being said, did you end up buying one of those flying fish things?
If so, how is it?

I'm not saying yard work is the perfect gig but it can be pretty lucrative and non stressful. I did that from the time I was 12 till I graduated high school and had a bunch of regular customers within walking distance. I made a LOT more money than my friends that worked at grocery stores or in fast food.

Hehehe the fish would have been very cool if it had worked...I put it together and had it hovering and could see the potential but unfortunately the remote control was defective and I ended up sending it back to amazon and getting my money back,.

cantthinkofanything
10-05-2011, 09:47 AM
I'm not saying yard work is the perfect gig but it can be pretty lucrative and non stressful. I did that from the time I was 12 till I graduated high school and had a bunch of regular customers within walking distance. I made a LOT more money than my friends that worked at grocery stores or in fast food.

Hehehe the fish would have been very cool if it had worked...I put it together and had it hovering and could see the potential but unfortunately the remote control was defective and I ended up sending it back to amazon and getting my money back,.

ah...too bad about the fish...

Blake
10-05-2011, 10:06 AM
I'm not saying yard work is the perfect gig but it can be pretty lucrative and non stressful.

Especially if you can land a few commercial contract gigs.

boutons_deux
10-05-2011, 03:07 PM
Hiring Locally for Farm Work Is No Cure-All

How can there be a labor shortage when nearly one out of every 11 people in the nation are unemployed?

That's the question John Harold asked himself last winter when he was trying to figure out how much help he would need to harvest the corn and onions on his 1,000-acre farm here in western Colorado.

The simple-sounding plan that resulted - hire more local people and fewer foreign workers - left Mr. Harold and others who took a similar path adrift in a predicament worthy of Kafka.

The more they tried to do something concrete to address immigration and joblessness, the worse off they found themselves."It's absolutely true that people who have played by the rules are having the toughest time of all," said Senator Michael Bennet, a Democrat from Colorado.

Mr. Harold, a 71-year-old Vietnam War veteran who drifted here in the late '60s, has participated for about a decade in a federal program called H-2A that allows seasonal foreign workers into the country to make up the gap where willing and able American workers are few in number. He typically has brought in about 90 people from Mexico each year from July through October.

This year, though, with tough times lingering and a big jump in the minimum wage under the program, to nearly $10.50 an hour, Mr. Harold brought in only two-thirds of his usual contingent. The other positions, he figured, would be snapped up by jobless local residents wanting some extra summer cash."

It didn't take me six hours to realize I'd made a heck of a mistake," Mr. Harold said, standing in his onion field on a recent afternoon as a crew of workers from Mexico cut the tops off yellow onions and bagged them.Six hours was enough, between the 6 a.m. start time and noon lunch break, for the first wave of local workers to quit. Some simply never came back and gave no reason.

Twenty-five of them said specifically, according to farm records, that the work was too hard. On the Harold farm, pickers walk the rows alongside a huge harvest vehicle called a mule train, plucking ears of corn and handing them up to workers on the mule who box them and lift the crates, each weighing 45 to 50 pounds.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/article;jsessionid=891FC32037F108FA1DC72479B031B72 F.w6?a=850516&f=19

Wild Cobra
10-05-2011, 03:39 PM
Must be part of the "Pussification of America" that makes citizens allergic to such work.

CosmicCowboy
10-05-2011, 03:48 PM
Must be part of the "Pussification of America" that makes citizens allergic to such work.

LOL you just called Manny a pussy.

MannyIsGod
10-05-2011, 04:29 PM
I've done more than my share of hard work so if not wanting to do more just to make money makes me a pussy then fucking meow. Having to do yard work like that would be soul crushing in addition to back breaking and I would rather do something I enjoy for less money.

This is assuming a choice. Choosing between that type of work and being unemployed, I'd take the work, obviously.

Blake
10-05-2011, 06:31 PM

or allergic to low wages

Wild Cobra
10-06-2011, 02:11 AM
This is assuming a choice. Choosing between that type of work and being unemployed, I'd take the work, obviously.
OK, we are actually on the same sheet then.

Why not force people on the government handout list to do these jobs then? Tell them if they don't find work, we will find work for them, but they probably won't like it.