PDA

View Full Version : Fifty Most Intimidating Players in NBA History

wildbill2u
10-05-2011, 03:08 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/800726-50-most-intimidating-nba-players-of-all-time?utm_campaign=outbrain&utm_source=outbrain.com&utm_medium=referral#/articles/877005-10-current-nba-superstars-in-training

A couple of Spurs made this list which makes this eligible for posting I suppose. A couple of more Spurs could have made it IMO.

The list includes some players that were intimidating just because of their talent--not because they were bad mean guys. If you took those guys off the list, there are a lot of badder meaner guys who'd take their place.

Since the basketball season is postponed, this topic might give us junkies some fun.

cantthinkofanything
10-05-2011, 03:46 PM
I made a similar list but mine didn't have Jerry Sloan, Gheorge Muresan, Dave Cowens, Mark Eaton, Kevin McHale, Larry Bird, or Bill Laimbeer on it.

spurs_fan_in_exile
10-05-2011, 04:33 PM
I think they set their sights too high with 50. It wasn't until they got to 44 (The Glove) where I agreed that there was any intimidation factor to the player. Manute Bol? Really?

Dex
10-05-2011, 04:34 PM
They couldn't find a better picture of Bill Laimbeer?

And Jordan looks well toasted in his pic.

spurs_fan_in_exile
10-05-2011, 04:35 PM
I admit I did chuckle at the write up for Larry Johnson. He did scare a lot of white people. He loses points for being the the son of a bitch that paved the way for Tyler Perry to unleash Madea on the world though.

Drewlius
10-05-2011, 05:36 PM
lol @ Patrick Ewing.

cantthinkofanything
10-05-2011, 06:16 PM
lol @ Patrick Ewing.

Idk. He sure scares Princess Peach.

Dex
10-05-2011, 06:34 PM
What, no Matt Bonner on this list? His floor spreading is second to none!

lefty
10-05-2011, 07:48 PM
No Terry Cummings ????

That boy was one scary SOB

bbarry
10-05-2011, 08:29 PM
wait a second, 9 posts, and nobody on a spurs' message board questioned the lack of bowen??

10-05-2011, 08:45 PM
i read the first few posts before reading the article so i expected to see bowen on there because no one complained.

G-Dawgg
10-06-2011, 03:35 AM
No Xavier McDaniel? ...That dude used to shave his own eyebrows off just to look crazier...

joshdaboss
10-06-2011, 06:01 AM
Magic Johnson

Intimidating Quality: Koolaid Smile, AIDS

Giuseppe
10-06-2011, 07:29 AM
Artest intimidated Pierce just enough to get Kobe on top of the shit bag 5-4.

tee, hee.

spurs_fan_in_exile
10-06-2011, 10:56 AM
These lists tend to be all over the place with Bleacher Report because they never give a very clear definition of what the hell they mean by things like "intimidating" or "dirty". I suspect the most time consuming part of the process is finding the pictures for the list.

For Bruce, I don't think he was intimidating in the way I'd think of it and that actually worked for him. If he intimidated people he'd scare a scorer out of trying to score. But it seemed like we'd see him take on some premier scorer and look at the box score to discover that instead of spooking guys out of shooting as much he was frustrating them into shooting more than usual, often by taking more bad shots. Robinson and Duncan intimidated around the rim. You'd see guys start a game attacking the rim, then get tentative and start flipping up weird floaters from 8 feet out before anyone stepped towards them, and steering clear of the paint entirely by the end of the game. That's intimidation.

That's kind of why I was surprised to even see Lambeer on the list. Back in the day he was hated a lot like KG is today, as a guy who'd do everything he could to start some shit but never be the guy to finish it. Hell, they highlight him in their profile as a guy who would bait someone into throwing a first punch and then having Rick Mahorn drop the hammer on them. If someone intimidates you you don't know a punch at them.

bus driver
10-06-2011, 11:59 AM
MJ at #1
the colby cock suckers are going to be spitting mad about this list

ambchang
10-06-2011, 12:37 PM
1 - Charles Oakley
2 - Rick Mahorn (w Jeff Ruland)
3 - Maurice Lucas
4 - Buck Williams
5 - Xavier McDaniel

Nobody in the soft perimeter games oriented 00's should be on that list.

JamStone
10-06-2011, 03:36 PM
Isiah and Magic both might kiss you before tip-off to get you off your game.

admiralsnackbar
10-06-2011, 03:42 PM
Alvin Robertson in his day would be intimidating. More so than K-Mart ever was, at any rate.

JamStone
10-06-2011, 04:44 PM
K-Mart's intimidation goes along with the fact that he could flagrant foul you at any moment on any given play and then land on top of you and stutter you to death.

joshdaboss
10-07-2011, 07:04 AM
Artest intimidated Pierce just enough to get Kobe on top of the shit bag 5-4.

tee, hee.

The referees intimidated him, by sending the Lakers to the line on every possession.

Asterisk rings.

tee, hee.

Mark in Austin
10-07-2011, 08:04 AM
Ewing at 12 tells me all I need to know about that article.

Ed Helicopter Jones
10-07-2011, 11:43 AM
That was an awful list.

Of course, since there is no definition given as to what constitutes "intimidating" it might be a terrific list.

So I guess it ends up being a worthless list.

wildbill2u
10-07-2011, 12:59 PM
Artest Gilmore should have been on the list for sure. Another ex-Spur who might have made it if the intimidation definition leaned more to the 'enforcer' side was Rich Jones. He not only looked bad, he was bad.

Marvin "Bad News" Barnes was a tough enforcer in the paint back in the day.

dbestpro
10-08-2011, 09:07 AM
PF Jayson Williams of the Nets or Jarvaris Crittenton has to be the leaders hands down. They don't like your game they shoot you. I'd say that is most intimidating.