PDA

View Full Version : Secret panel can put Americans on "kill list'

Yonivore
10-06-2011, 11:11 AM
Secret panel can put Americans on "kill list' (http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/10/05/us-cia-killlist-idUSTRE79475C20111005)

I hear the Obama administration still conducts renditions, has secret prisons, and failed to close the Guantanamo Bay detention facility.

Someone should report these smears to AttackWatch.com!

clambake
10-06-2011, 11:13 AM
secret?

DarrinS
10-06-2011, 11:15 AM
ATTACK Waaaaaaaaatch!

boutons_deux
10-06-2011, 11:17 AM
does Yoni think his buddy Jimmy Ricky or Cain would NOT run a kill list of US citizens?

the US NatSec/CIA/MIC is almost completely out of reach of any politician, of any oversight.

admiralsnackbar
10-06-2011, 11:19 AM
That's the trouble with trampling over legal precedent, isn't it? The genie doesn't really go back in the bottle. I consider the Obama administration a pack of simpering liars for abiding by the Bush Policies, but I still reserve a special modicum of hate for the W. administration for forcing the issues into existence on their own watch. What a fucking stain on this country.

Yonivore
10-06-2011, 11:42 AM
That's the trouble with trampling over legal precedent, isn't it? The genie doesn't really go back in the bottle. I consider the Obama administration a pack of simpering liars for abiding by the Bush Policies, but I still reserve a special modicum of hate for the W. administration for forcing the issues into existence on their own watch. What a fucking stain on this country.
I don't see where this particular panel is tied back to the Bush Administration. And, being Reuters, I would think if it had it origins in the previous administration, they'd of said so.

In fact, they pointed out the hypocrisy of the Obama administration's use of the panel.

In an ironic turn, Obama, who ran for president denouncing predecessor George W. Bush's expansive use of executive power in his "war on terrorism," is being attacked in some quarters for using similar tactics. They include secret legal justifications and undisclosed intelligence assessments.

Liberals criticized the drone attack on an American citizen as extra-judicial murder.

Conservatives criticized Obama for refusing to release a Justice Department legal opinion that reportedly justified killing Awlaki. They accuse Obama of hypocrisy, noting his administration insisted on publishing Bush-era administration legal memos justifying the use of interrogation techniques many equate with torture, but refused to make public its rationale for killing a citizen without due process.
I thought this was a nice touch...

Officials confirmed that a second American, Samir Khan, was killed in the drone attack that killed Awlaki. Khan had served as editor of Inspire, a glossy English-language magazine used by AQAP as a propaganda and recruitment vehicle.

But rather than being specifically targeted by drone operators, Khan was in the wrong place at the wrong time, officials said. Ruppersberger appeared to confirm that, saying Khan's death was "collateral," meaning he was not an intentional target of the drone strike.
War has actually come down to parsing your justifications.

So, if they had targeted a non-American terrorist, traveling in the convoy, couldn't they just as easily of made the case Awlaki was "in the wrong place at the wrong time?"

Somebody in the administration is slapping their forehead right now.

ChumpDumper
10-06-2011, 11:42 AM
NOW yoni is concerned!

ChumpDumper
10-06-2011, 11:44 AM
I don't see where this particular panel is tied back to the Bush Administration. And, being Reuters, I would think if it had it origins in the previous administration, they'd of said so.

In fact, they pointed out the hypocrisy of the Obama administration's use of the panel.

I thought this was a nice touch...

War has actually come down to parsing your justifications.

So, if they had targeted a non-American terrorist, traveling in the convoy, couldn't they just as easily of made the case Awlaki was "in the wrong place at the wrong time?"

Somebody in the administration is slapping their forehead right now.yoni prefers his president be a disingenuous liar like Bush.

George Gervin's Afro
10-06-2011, 12:21 PM
NOW yoni is concerned!

George Gervin's Afro
10-06-2011, 12:21 PM
yoni prefers his president be a disingenuous liar like Bush.

ElNono
10-06-2011, 12:24 PM
NOW yoni is concerned!

Yonivore
10-06-2011, 12:47 PM
I'm cool with Obama sending a hellfire missile into that terrorist's convoy. I'm just pointing out the hypocrisy of the the President and his minions that would have been absolutely apoplectic over such a revelation during the Bush administration.

What's the matter GGA, can't form posts on your own, anymore?

George Gervin's Afro
10-06-2011, 12:49 PM
I'm cool with Obama sending a hellfire missile into that terrorist's convoy. I'm just pointing out the hypocrisy of the the President and his minions that would have been absolutely apoplectic over such a revelation during the Bush administration.

What's the matter GGA, can't form posts on your own, anymore?

What about your hypocrisy?

boutons_deux
10-06-2011, 12:52 PM
"I'm just pointing out the hypocrisy"

Yoni only objects to DEM hypocrisy, while Repug blatant lies slide right by. :lol

Yonivore
10-06-2011, 01:34 PM
What about your hypocrisy?
What hypocrisy would that be?

I am as in favor of Obama killing terrorists as I was Bush killing them.