PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here have experience with Chrohns?

Heath Ledger
10-06-2011, 01:09 PM
I went to the doctor today and was told theres a good chance I have either Diverticulitis or Chrohns was wondering if anyone here has it or knows someone who has it and how they cope.

Having a full blood panel, was given two types of antibiotics and return to the doc in 10 days to determine if I will need a CT scan or Colonoscopy.

My symptoms have been intestinal spasming/cramping, lack of hunger, gassy/bloated feeling which Ive had for a while, have not been constipated or had diarrhea which are normal symptoms of both Diverticulitis and Chrohns

Any non trolling feedback is appreciated. I know thats hard to get around here.

Blake
10-06-2011, 01:20 PM
any history of Chrohns in your family?

Magua
10-06-2011, 01:25 PM
I went to the doctor today and was told theres a good chance I have either Diverticulitis or Chrohns was wondering if anyone here has it or knows someone who has it and how they cope.

Having a full blood panel, was given two types of antibiotics and return to the doc in 10 days to determine if I will need a CT scan or Colonoscopy.

My symptoms have been intestinal spasming/cramping, lack of hunger, gassy/bloated feeling which Ive had for a while, have not been constipated or had diarrhea which are normal symptoms of both Diverticulitis and Chrohns

Any non trolling feedback is appreciated. I know thats hard to get around here.

It's Crohn's*

My aunt has diverticulitis and she says the flare ups are incredibly painful. The biggest change you can make in managing this problem is fixing your diet. Your doctor will tell you the dos and don'ts, but diet is paramount in the treatment.

Heath Ledger
10-06-2011, 01:34 PM
any history of Chrohns in your family?

No history. Believe me Im hoping it's not Chrohn's

Mel_13
10-06-2011, 01:35 PM
I have some extensive personal experience on the subject and would be glad to discuss via PM if you're interested.

If not, my best advice would be to get a colonoscopy and an endoscopy performed as soon as possible.

Heath Ledger
10-06-2011, 01:37 PM
Well what I have is not horribly painful. But definitely uncomfortable, just having my first baby definitely makes me worry about it quite a bit more. It will be costly as well as I have no health insurance.

The spasms and cramping are not always in one spot its intermittent in different locations on the left side anywhere from just under my bottom rib down to my lower abdomen. I had one round of a normal antibiotic right before my son was born and it didn't help at all. Hopefully this dual anitbiotic treatment does something. I was given Cipro and Flagyl

Heath Ledger
10-06-2011, 01:38 PM
I have some extensive personal experience on the subject and would be glad to discuss via PM if you're interested.

If not, my best advice would be to get a colonoscopy and an edoscopy performed as soon as possible.

Yes by all means share. I want to stay on top of this.

MaNu4Tres
10-06-2011, 01:48 PM
As you know, most degenerative diseases are created and developed from a poor diet overtime. I can't express how important it is to understand this everytime you're purchasing food at a grocery store or restaurant. I'm pretty damn confident a change of diet can help your situation. It won't happen overnight, but if you keep "pounding the rock" (digesting only quality fresh foods every meal; not processed, packaged, canned, frozen, sodium rich foods), you will see huge changes within 2-4 months. My best advice is to fix your diet. I can't express that enough.

Seven to eight months ago, I was diagnosed with a hiatal hernia and severe acid reflux (which is also a type of digestive disease). I'd have long nights of difficulty breathing and chest pains (symptoms were scary and like a heart-attack, so I've been told). Doctor put my on anti-acid medication, but was telling me a change of diet would have a greater impact than any medication. So I started doing research and educating myself on the quality of food and I formulated the best optimal diet possible for my overall health (fresh organic foods-- increasing fresh vegetable and fruit intake). Within 3-4 months after I changed my diet completely, I began to feel like a brand new person and all those horrible symptoms gradually vanished. It's been an amazing turnaround. But I can't express how important it is to develop and maintain a proper diet.

The discipline you implement into your eating habits will pay off. Trust me. Wish you and your health nothing but the best.

-Tres

Blake
10-06-2011, 02:06 PM
As you know, most degenerative diseases are created and developed from a poor diet overtime.

Bad diet doesn't create Chrohns.

MaNu4Tres
10-06-2011, 02:18 PM
Bad diet doesn't create Chrohns.

Yes it can, but some doctor's won't tell you that because some are mainly interested in getting you to buy endless supplies of medication.

http://www.healingdaily.com/conditions/Crohns-disease.htm

"The entire solution to Crohn's Disease lies in having a proper diet. You will NOT get proper diet advice from a doctor - they only want to give you drugs. You will also, many of you who read this page, reject "diet" as too simple. Crohn's Disease is one of these diseases which many doctors have told you cannot be cured.

Crohn's Disease is a disease of bad diet.

If you want to cure Crohn's Disease, adopt the right diet. This diet will NOT include sugar, junk food, sodas, or grains of any kind. Even fruit juice will be found in limited amounts because of its high-sugar content. The right diet WILL include healthy doses of probiotics."

http://www.raw-food-health.net/CrohnsDisease.html

The Diet That Heals Crohns Disease

"A healthy raw food diet is what you need to cure yourself.

This diet consists primarily of whole, raw fruits and vegetables. Small quantities of nuts and seeds will also eventually fine along with fatty fruits.

At the beginning of your healing journey your digestion needs to be babied a bit.

Until your symptoms subside you should stick to a simple diet of non-acidic raw fruits. Bananas are perfect, and you can easily just eat them for all your needs, but feel free to eat anything else you fancy as well. Fruits are the key to this diet.

Vegetables are hard for a damaged digestive system to handle. Eating vegetables before you've healed may bring on your previous symptoms. Eat nothing cooked or processed. Keep it simple, and enjoy yourself. "

Blake
10-06-2011, 02:27 PM
Yes it can, but some doctor's won't tell you that because some are mainly interested in getting you to buy endless supplies of medication.

Interesting link. Thanks.

There are many theories about what causes Crohn's disease, but none has yet been proven.

Mayo Clinic:

Previously, diet and stress were suspected, but now doctors know that although these factors may aggravate existing Crohn's disease, they don't cause it.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/crohns-disease/DS00104/DSECTION=causes

Heath Ledger
10-06-2011, 03:04 PM
I will say this the doct didnt mention anything about my diet whatsoever, I even had to ask him what foods he recommend i stay away from right now and his only words were milk and dairy (probably because of the antibiotics) Ive also read that during their medical education the average doctor spends 2-3 weeks on nutrition and diet out of their several years of studies. What Manu4trees says makes compelte sense. Docs are offered kickbacks to push drugs, you see the sales reps in their office all the time. I saw two different drug reps today while at my GP.

I have taken a lot of steps recently to change my diet, cut out all sweets have had very little bread lots of fruits and vegetables, oatmeal, cut out 90 percent of my diet soda intake which was a lot but so far not much of a difference, have started lifting weights again and was taking protein poder/shakes twice a day but have since stopped because it backed me up horribly. For now I will cut out the protein drinks. Haven't cut any weight but im certain ive put on several pounds of muscle.

Thanks for the info and advice. This is my wake up call. Little guy (Devin 2 months) depends on me and I will do whatever it takes to get through this shit and take my health, fitness and diet more seriously for now on.

Diabeetus Joe
10-06-2011, 03:10 PM
Yes, please do listen to the warnings. I learned the hard way.

Sisk
10-06-2011, 05:37 PM
As you know, most degenerative diseases are created and developed from a poor diet overtime. I can't express how important it is to understand this everytime you're purchasing food at a grocery store or restaurant. I'm pretty damn confident a change of diet can help your situation. It won't happen overnight, but if you keep "pounding the rock" (digesting only quality fresh foods every meal; not processed, packaged, canned, frozen, sodium rich foods), you will see huge changes withing 2-4 months. My best advice is to fix your diet. I can't express that enough.

Seven to eight months ago, I was diagnosed with a hiatal hernia and severe acid reflux (which is also a type of digestive disease). I'd have long nights of difficulty breathing and chest pains (symptoms were scary and like a heart-attack, so I've been told). Doctor put my on anti-acid medication, but was telling me a change of diet would have a greater impact than any medication. So I started doing research and educating myself on the quality of food and I formulated the best optimal diet possible for my overall health (fresh organic foods-- increasing fresh vegetable and fruit intake). Within 3-4 months after I changed my diet completely, I began to feel like a brand new person and all those horrible symptoms gradually vanished. It's been an amazing turnaround. But I can't express how important it is to develop and maintain a proper diet.

The discipline you implement into your eating habits will pay off. Trust me. Wish you and your health nothing but the best.

-Tres

You mind sharing some of your diet?

FuzzyLumpkins
10-06-2011, 05:49 PM
Crohn's is very painful from what i have seen. Good luck mang.

boutons_deux
10-06-2011, 06:52 PM
No personal experience, but have read quite a bit. Have an aunt who had to have a section of colon removed.

crohn's disease info is of course extensive on the web. get reading...

"medicate" yourself:

Let thy food be thy medicine, let thy medicine be thy food -- some ancient Greek guy

diet should be anti-inflammatory. lots of sites list anti-inflammatory/pro-inflammatory foods, and list anti-inflammatory supplements and phyto-chemicals like ginger powder and curcumin.

nearly all vegs and many plant oils are anti-inflammatory and pro-alkaline. the carbs in fruit would be inflammatory, but in the matrix of everything else in fresh fruit, not really too bad. be careful with plants oil since some are pro-inflammatory and acidifying, eg, omega-6 in corn, and all the factory animals that eat corn, like beef and pork.

also, a pro-alkaline diet. lots of sites list alkalizing foods and acidifying foods. carbs and protein are acidic.

a strategy will be to go drastic, like go hard-core vegan for several weeks to establish a pain-free, quiescent baseline, then slowly add in other foods to see if they cause flare ups. Avoid all processed foods (basically the entire grocery store), go very low carbs, and only slow carbs like beans.

The doc will obviously prescribe drugs, which might work, but condemn you to taking probably expensive drugs (it's his business), and all drugs have side effects, so fuck him. :)

If it's diverticulitis, not much you can do to fix the diverticuli except if they are grouped in one section, surgical removal of that section. There are some foods that are anti-microbial, anti-fungal like coconut oil, etc. Also, many mushrooms and other plants help tune the immune system so any infection with microbe or fungus will be held to a minimum avoiding the painful inflammation.

Somebody's gonna say "no nuts", since unchewed nut pieces can get stuck in the diverticuli.

Screw that, almonds, walnuts, pistachios (but not peanuts), pecans etc, are great foods. Rather than grind them in your mouth, just grind them in your blender very fine, or in your blender drink, let it run.

One trick I use is to put the nuts and some water in first, and let that run by itself until it's a fine slurry, add more water if not moving well. then add the rest of the contents.

btw, it may be that your gut flora and fauna are messed up, and will be certainly after the antibiotics, so look into probiotics and fermented stuff like saurkraut, natto, kefir (organic only). Maybe just getting your gut in balance will fix you up.

Exercise to be fit, but it won't do anything for losing weight or fixing your gut.

For the constipation from taking the whey, brown rice, pea protein powders (concentrates, not isolates), get some loose psyllium husk (not the pills), soak a big teaspoon in a cup of water overnight, and mix the gloop into your protein drink. The soaking is important because if you don't, the dry psyllium will suck water out of your gut which of course is what make the gut's contents hard. fully soaked going in, and nicely soft coming out.

Dr Boutons Has Left The Building.

Blake
10-06-2011, 09:32 PM
I will say this the doct didnt mention anything about my diet whatsoever, I even had to ask him what foods he recommend i stay away from right now and his only words were milk and dairy (probably because of the antibiotics) Ive also read that during their medical education the average doctor spends 2-3 weeks on nutrition and diet out of their several years of studies. What Manu4trees says makes compelte sense. Docs are offered kickbacks to push drugs, you see the sales reps in their office all the time. I saw two different drug reps today while at my GP.

I have taken a lot of steps recently to change my diet, cut out all sweets have had very little bread lots of fruits and vegetables, oatmeal, cut out 90 percent of my diet soda intake which was a lot but so far not much of a difference, have started lifting weights again and was taking protein poder/shakes twice a day but have since stopped because it backed me up horribly. For now I will cut out the protein drinks. Haven't cut any weight but im certain ive put on several pounds of muscle.

Thanks for the info and advice. This is my wake up call. Little guy (Devin 2 months) depends on me and I will do whatever it takes to get through this shit and take my health, fitness and diet more seriously for now on.

good luck :tu

Vici
10-07-2011, 12:16 AM
Weird this topic came up. A coworker mentioned he's had something like 25 colonoscopys due to his Crohn's disease. He gets 2 a year. Sucks man, best of luck.

mavs>spurs
10-07-2011, 01:08 AM
Doctors never tell you about the importance of diet and nutrition because they are in bed with the pharmaceutical companies..there's really some awesome stuff out there if you look hard enough. Not only with crohn's but with anything.

mavs>spurs
10-07-2011, 01:11 AM
Did anyone else know that plenty of the things doctors prescribe medications for are completely and 100% curable by just drinking the proper amount of water daily? Not many people drink 8-10 glasses or whatever it is.